The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 12-20-2019, 05:29 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I'm surprised they allowed Amalia and her friends to use their phones if it was meant to be an educational visit for her role as future queen. It does seem in rather poor taste, but it's not just a generational thing, British PM Boris Johnson has been found guilty of doing the same.

*This*! This is what I meant in shortened form, but as I am one of details I seem to lack that capability.
Thank you, HereditaryPrincess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Complete nonsense. This is the general attitude of our society, not just teenagers and let me just say here that teenagers of this era care a whole lot more about our society and planet than the boomers all combined together.

She is sixteen and if she is doing this out of her own free will, kudos to her. There is nothing wrong with a teenager looking at something on someone's phone for a couple of seconds. She is still a kid.

Talk about an unexpected arrow towards me...

It's *not* complete nonsense. What you say about it being the general attitude of our society, I believe I said just that between parentheses. It's even in the part that you bolded....
And the use of the word "boomers" is disparaging - as if they are less than today's teenagers.

"For a couple of seconds", we don't know that. We only saw a few seconds of film. Most teenagers *and* others (parents and others) are glued to their phone for longer than minutes. In general I believe that the majority of today's society has an unhealthy connection to their phone.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,792
It's not an arrow at you but bolded it because this is what used against Millenials and Generation Z and someone was trying it. I'm just not here for people having a dig at a 16 year old girl, or teenagers in general, for looking at their phone and weaponising it against them.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-22-2019, 06:05 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,876
Well; I'm an older Gen-Z (who does like to "ok boomer" people when needed ) and still found it surprising that Amalia and her friends were allowed to look at their phones during the meetings especially if this was meant to be a visit of personal interest. I actually find that parents and people of older generations who use mobiles tend to be worse "offenders" of using their phone when they're meant to be in a professional situation I work in a shop and don't use my phone when there are customers shopping, only when they're gone and I've got absolutely nothing else to do I browse my phone. It just seems like a common courtesy to keep phones away or at least appear interested at such an event where one is in a professional situation. I'd expect this of someone double or even triple of Amalia's age too.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-23-2019, 02:01 AM
Lee-Z's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 3,150
Afaik it wasn't an official visit to a meeting.. these sessions are open for the public to attend, so you and I could also go there and sit in the stands to watch the goings on.
The difference being ofcourse is that when I would go there, noone would take a picture of me

So it's a public outing to a session that is a regular governmemt meeting, so I'm sure has some dull moments inbetween. When my class once visited (in a different millenium ) we'd chitchat amongst ourselves and show eachother the memorabilia we bought in those dull moments, but if mobile phones had been invented then, i bet we would have looked at them
__________________
Wisdom begins in wonder - Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-23-2019, 05:23 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Well; I'm an older Gen-Z (who does like to "ok boomer" people when needed ) and still found it surprising that Amalia and her friends were allowed to look at their phones during the meetings especially if this was meant to be a visit of personal interest. I actually find that parents and people of older generations who use mobiles tend to be worse "offenders" of using their phone when they're meant to be in a professional situation I work in a shop and don't use my phone when there are customers shopping, only when they're gone and I've got absolutely nothing else to do I browse my phone. It just seems like a common courtesy to keep phones away or at least appear interested at such an event where one is in a professional situation. I'd expect this of someone double or even triple of Amalia's age too.
Who was supposed to forbid Amalia and her friend from looking at their phones? (I only saw her friend's phone, are there any phones of Amalia even looking at her own phone?) And do the same rules apply to anyone attending out of interest or just curiosity? Who is supposed to monitor each and everyone of the general public and what kind of sanctions (by whom) should be applied if they don't behave as expected?

They were just general members of the public who can do as they please as long as they don't interrupt whatever is going on downstairs in the Second Chamber (Parliament). There is no obligation for anyone attending to pay full attention to even the dullest moments (discussing what will be discussed when in this case). The fact that they chose to attend in itself is laudable imo; and as it is a purely private visit, it cannot be compared to any official or professional role.

So, the comparison between someone at work taking care of customers and the general public visiting parliament is invalid imo. Unless, in your shop the employees actively tell anyone coming in that they have to pay full attention to shopping and are not allowed to chat among each other or look at their phones (and even in that case: someone shopping is taking a more active part in the activity than someone just looking on while others are shopping).
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-23-2019, 06:04 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
It's not an arrow at you but bolded it because this is what used against Millenials and Generation Z and someone was trying it. I'm just not here for people having a dig at a 16 year old girl, or teenagers in general, for looking at their phone and weaponising it against them.
The claim that "(and not only teenage...)" is a more "weaponised" statement than "teenagers of this era care a whole lot more about our society and planet than the boomers all combined together" is rather hard to support.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-23-2019, 06:18 AM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 22,528
We recently saw some ministers looking at their own phones during an actual debate. Mrs. Karib - the chairwoman- even confiquated a phone of a parliamentarian to make a point. So a teenage girl can be forgiven checking her friends phone while the house was discussing the agenda. Many members of parliament will have been doing the same. I think it is great she is showing interest by going to parliament in her free time.
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-23-2019, 06:26 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 10,757
Note that the Princess herself was not seen with a phone. She was there with two classmates. Only one of this trio had a mobile in hand and frequently showed the two other classmate what was going on her phone. That is all.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-23-2019, 08:26 AM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,876
The Princess of Orange, Princesses Alexia and Ariane, News Part 2 (Feb 2019 -present)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Who was supposed to forbid Amalia and her friend from looking at their phones? (I only saw her friend's phone, are there any phones of Amalia even looking at her own phone?) And do the same rules apply to anyone attending out of interest or just curiosity? Who is supposed to monitor each and everyone of the general public and what kind of sanctions (by whom) should be applied if they don't behave as expected?



They were just general members of the public who can do as they please as long as they don't interrupt whatever is going on downstairs in the Second Chamber (Parliament). There is no obligation for anyone attending to pay full attention to even the dullest moments (discussing what will be discussed when in this case). The fact that they chose to attend in itself is laudable imo; and as it is a purely private visit, it cannot be compared to any official or professional role.



So, the comparison between someone at work taking care of customers and the general public visiting parliament is invalid imo. Unless, in your shop the employees actively tell anyone coming in that they have to pay full attention to shopping and are not allowed to chat among each other or look at their phones (and even in that case: someone shopping is taking a more active part in the activity than someone just looking on while others are shopping).


Ouch, there’s no need to be so harsh or tell me my opinion isn’t valid. It’s a public discussion forum, so we are all allowed to share our opinions and you will disagree with them. Doesn’t mean they’re not valid.

Nobody needs to forbid Amalia and her friends from using their phone, I guess my point was that it should just be natural when in such a situation. I even said that I appreciate it can be long and boring, so I totally get that, but to me it just didn’t seem totally professional. I would say the same about anyone using their phone in such an event. Amalia isn’t a general member of the public, she is the future queen so certain things are expected of her that won’t be expected of her friends sitting next to her. Yes, I’m also aware that Amalia herself wasn’t using the phone and no, I’m not being too harsh or critical. I don’t normally like criticising minors, but I’ve seen a lot of phone usage in Parliament (here in the UK too from very senior members of cabinet) and as you can tell it’s something that doesn’t sit well with me personally. And that’s from anyone of any age.

That’s all. No need to be so up in arms. I think it’s fantastic that Amalia shows interest in parliament and wants to see what her future role will bring her, but I still stand by my opinion which I won’t repeat again because it’ll be tiring. I didn’t want for this to blow up or be unfairly critiqued. You can disagree with me, fine, but don’t tell me my contributions aren’t valid, because that’s not fair. I didn’t intend to criticise Amalia herself at all, it was more the action of using the phone that bothered me rather than the individuals themselves. It would’ve been the same if Maxima or even Beatrix had done this. If I’d known it would’ve caused this much of a fuss, I wouldn’t have commented in the first place!
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-23-2019, 10:16 AM
SLV's Avatar
SLV SLV is offline
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Note that the Princess herself was not seen with a phone. She was there with two classmates. Only one of this trio had a mobile in hand and frequently showed the two other classmate what was going on her phone. That is all.
And perhaps the content of the phone she showed actually had something to do with the visit.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-23-2019, 12:48 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Ouch, there’s no need to be so harsh or tell me my opinion isn’t valid. It’s a public discussion forum, so we are all allowed to share our opinions and you will disagree with them. Doesn’t mean they’re not valid.

Nobody needs to forbid Amalia and her friends from using their phone, I guess my point was that it should just be natural when in such a situation. I even said that I appreciate it can be long and boring, so I totally get that, but to me it just didn’t seem totally professional. I would say the same about anyone using their phone in such an event. Amalia isn’t a general member of the public, she is the future queen so certain things are expected of her that won’t be expected of her friends sitting next to her. Yes, I’m also aware that Amalia herself wasn’t using the phone and no, I’m not being too harsh or critical. I don’t normally like criticising minors, but I’ve seen a lot of phone usage in Parliament (here in the UK too from very senior members of cabinet) and as you can tell it’s something that doesn’t sit well with me personally. And that’s from anyone of any age.

That’s all. No need to be so up in arms. I think it’s fantastic that Amalia shows interest in parliament and wants to see what her future role will bring her, but I still stand by my opinion which I won’t repeat again because it’ll be tiring. I didn’t want for this to blow up or be unfairly critiqued. You can disagree with me, fine, but don’t tell me my contributions aren’t valid, because that’s not fair. I didn’t intend to criticise Amalia herself at all, it was more the action of using the phone that bothered me rather than the individuals themselves. It would’ve been the same if Maxima or even Beatrix had done this. If I’d known it would’ve caused this much of a fuss, I wouldn’t have commented in the first place!
You are fully entitled to your opinion; I just stated that in my opinion (=imo) your comparison between someone at work vs someone being present somewhere is invalid.

Nonetheless, I am glad to read that you came around a little and state that Amalia should not be forbidden from using her phone; so, that means that she should be allowed to do so if she wishes to... I just hope that Amalia feels free to keep coming; as it seems all of us are equally impressed (and would encourage her) that she is coming out of personal interest (and partly in preparation for her future role).

The point I tried to make that seemed not to come across: You keep comparing Amalia's behavior to those that actively have a role to play in parliament (such as cabinet members - who indeed check their phones a lot as well; partly because their staff members might be sending them relevant information I'd assume); while she is only an 'onlooker'. I don't think that is a fair comparison - but of course you may think differently.

Let me try to explain it with an example that many people might be familiar with. Lots of people attend sports games. Of course, the players (and coaches etc) are supposed to be fully concentrated all the time. It's their job to do the best they can to get the best results. This same expectation is not put upon the spectators. The fans will most likely pay a lot of attention on critical moments but might talk to their neighbors or look at their phone at other times; and that's totally fine. They do not have an official role to play.

And in this case, the game is even put on 'for the spectators to enjoy'. In the case of Parliament they are just going about their own business and members of the general public are allowed to watch but are not supposed to interfere in any way nor are they debating because of those present at the 'public gallery'. They would do so, if it were full or empty.

Continuing the analogy, if spectators would be seated in places of honor they might be slightly more aware of the cameras being focused on them and will adjust their behavior accordingly (I am quite sure Amalia lives a life of 'adjustments' just because of her position); but as the 'public gallery' doesn't have such a thing and the final row surely would not be that place for 'further adjustments'. Imo it is hard to argue that anyone seated on the public gallery should be on 'their best behavior' all the time; they should behave 'decent' and should not disturb what's going in 'downstairs', that's all.

I think, I'll leave it at that. Feel free to respond but if I don't, it's not because you don't make interesting points but mainly because I don't want to end up in a back-and-forth.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-23-2019, 04:32 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
You are fully entitled to your opinion; I just stated that in my opinion (=imo) your comparison between someone at work vs someone being present somewhere is invalid.

Nonetheless, I am glad to read that you came around a little and state that Amalia should not be forbidden from using her phone; so, that means that she should be allowed to do so if she wishes to... I just hope that Amalia feels free to keep coming; as it seems all of us are equally impressed (and would encourage her) that she is coming out of personal interest (and partly in preparation for her future role).

The point I tried to make that seemed not to come across: You keep comparing Amalia's behavior to those that actively have a role to play in parliament (such as cabinet members - who indeed check their phones a lot as well; partly because their staff members might be sending them relevant information I'd assume); while she is only an 'onlooker'. I don't think that is a fair comparison - but of course you may think differently.

Let me try to explain it with an example that many people might be familiar with. Lots of people attend sports games. Of course, the players (and coaches etc) are supposed to be fully concentrated all the time. It's their job to do the best they can to get the best results. This same expectation is not put upon the spectators. The fans will most likely pay a lot of attention on critical moments but might talk to their neighbors or look at their phone at other times; and that's totally fine. They do not have an official role to play.

And in this case, the game is even put on 'for the spectators to enjoy'. In the case of Parliament they are just going about their own business and members of the general public are allowed to watch but are not supposed to interfere in any way nor are they debating because of those present at the 'public gallery'. They would do so, if it were full or empty.

Continuing the analogy, if spectators would be seated in places of honor they might be slightly more aware of the cameras being focused on them and will adjust their behavior accordingly (I am quite sure Amalia lives a life of 'adjustments' just because of her position); but as the 'public gallery' doesn't have such a thing and the final row surely would not be that place for 'further adjustments'. Imo it is hard to argue that anyone seated on the public gallery should be on 'their best behavior' all the time; they should behave 'decent' and should not disturb what's going in 'downstairs', that's all.

I think, I'll leave it at that. Feel free to respond but if I don't, it's not because you don't make interesting points but mainly because I don't want to end up in a back-and-forth.
I don't want to carry on with this but I will add it seems you misunderstood my concerns about your usage of the word "invalid". All opinions are valid because they aren't right or wrong, so to say otherwise is totally dismissing it. My point was that you're free to disagree with me, but please don't invalidate my opinion. You could've just said that it doesn't make sense, or isn't comparable, or whatever. I haven't invalidated your opinion so there's not a need to do so to mine.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-23-2019, 04:34 PM
Lee-Z's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 3,150
I'm starting to understand why K.W-A and Q.Maxima want to keep their daughters out of the media until they're adults
__________________
Wisdom begins in wonder - Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-23-2019, 04:37 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
I'm starting to understand why K.W-A and Q.Maxima want to keep their daughters out of the media until they're adults
I really didn't mean to cause such a disruption to the thread. I merely stated my opinion, which is clearly unpopular but there's no need to belittle me. I'll bow out now. It seems that the forums have become much more sensitive than they used to be.

So this is over and done with and that nobody hates me; can I please state that I'm not criticising Amalia? For the thousandth time. It's the action itself, which details I won't go into again for fear of my head exploding.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-28-2020, 04:22 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 10,757
In media there is sometimes nagging about the invisibility of the three princesses, compared to Princess Estelle, Princess Leonor or Princess Elisabeth.


But in the annual major poll on the monarchy by NOS (the "Dutch BBC") more than 70% agreed with the policy of the King and Queen to shield their daughters as much as possible, to let them enjoy life in privacy.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 04-30-2020, 09:11 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,895
A 31 year old man is charged with threatening to rape the princess of Orange and kill her friend Brent. He posted messages and images to that end on Instagram in January; based on the time and the fact that not only the princess but also her friend was threatened, I wonder whether it is somehow related to her appearance in Parliament with said (male) friend. The judge ordered a mental evaluation of the man by the Pieter Baan Center - as was requested by the prosecutor.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-30-2020, 12:40 PM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 22,528
Poor girl & friend. The RF is apparently a magnet for a lot of deranged lunatics, as we saw during Queen's day in Apeldoorn and at other events. A pity that Amalia has to experience it at such a young age already.
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-30-2020, 01:17 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 14,092
It is, I'm sure, something that happens more often than we think.
Threats from deranged persons must come in regularly, we are simply not told in order not to encourage others to do the same, because over the next few weeks quite a few will threaten to do something similar.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-30-2020, 02:01 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 29,781
What a truly depraved and sick individual and what a terrible ordeal for the Princess and her friend and parents.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-30-2020, 05:26 PM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 22,528
Apparently it is a 31 y/o ex-soldier from Zwolle. He was stupid enough not to send the messages to the princess but to a fan-account on instagram, thinking it was the princess herself. The threats were made somehwere between January 9th and 14th of this year.

The man - known as Wouter G. - was homeless for a few years. His lawyer claims that mr G. did not mean to do harm, he deleted the messages an hour after they were posted and hoped that nobody had seen them. Apparently at the time he had to laugh about what he did, 'nobody will believe this' he wrote in his diary. He wrote the messages as he felt frustrated with a personal relationship. He took a few beers he decided to 'scare' princess Amalia.

When the judge announced that mr. G. would be going to the Pieter Baan centrum - a forensic psychiatric observation clinic for criminals - Wouter G. cheered. The judge replied sarcastically: 'I am happy that you are so cheerful about it'.

Earlier during the hearing G. said that he did not see the need for him to go to the clinic, neither did he feel like going there. He said he would find it ridiculous but he would cooperate if the virdict would be so.

The case will be continued on July 23rd.

Source: Marouscha van de Groep
__________________

__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Princess of Orange, Princesses Alexia and Ariane, News Part 1 (May 2013-Jan 2019) Marengo Current Events Archive 386 01-30-2019 04:02 PM
Princesses Catharina-Amalia, Alexia and Ariane, News 3 (December 2007 - April 2013) Empress Current Events Archive 419 04-29-2013 10:14 AM
Princesses Catharina-Amalia, Alexia and Ariane, News 2 (June - December 2007) Anna_R Current Events Archive 189 12-08-2007 10:46 AM
Princesses Catharina-Amalia, Alexia and Ariane, News 1 (September 2005 - June 2007) Josefine Current Events Archive 229 06-09-2007 09:43 AM




Popular Tags
abdication america anastasia archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism biography bridal gown britain british royal family buckingham palace china chinese commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs daisy dna doge of venice doll dubai duke of cambridge duke of sussex elizabeth ii facts family life fantasy movie fashion and style george vi gustaf vi adolf hello! intro italian royal family jack brooksbank japan jewellery king edward vii king willem-alexander książ castle line of succession list of rulers mary: crown princess of denmark nepalese royal jewels plantinum jubilee prince charles of luxembourg prince constantijn prince dimitri princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak queen mathilde queen maxima random facts royal ancestry royal court royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royal wedding royal wedding gown serbian royal family solomon j solomon speech suthida taiwan uae customs united states of america wales wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×