The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-10-2021, 05:47 PM
Serene Highness

Bravo Amalia. It's impressive and undoubtedly reflects how hard she's worked. If she continues, her country will be in very good hands.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Gefeliciteerd Prinses Amalia!!!

Old 06-11-2021, 09:54 AM
Nobility

Amalia has said she doesn’t want the 1.6 million euros she entitled to from December

https://twitter.com/rickeversroyal/s...790643716?s=21

https://twitter.com/royalarjan/statu...046362112?s=21
Old 06-11-2021, 09:56 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Today it was announced that the Princess of Orange will return the income that she will receive from the state -1,6 million Euros- until she has finished her studies. She will receive the money on her account each year but will transfer it back to the state.

Earlier the Prime Minister said that the discussion around the income was 'populism'.

In a handwritten letter to the Prime Minister the princess said the following about her income:

Quote:
'I find it uncomfortable as long as I can offer little in return and other students have it so much harder, especially in this uncertain corona time'
Only when there are significant costs due to her function of princess will she keep a part of the money as a reimbursement to cover these costs.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-ach...eren~b43fa136/
Old 06-11-2021, 10:04 AM
Royal Highness

That sounds like a sensible idea.

I'm not familiar with the discussion. Would it have been her idea or would she have been strongly "encouraged" to do this?
Old 06-11-2021, 10:05 AM
Serene Highness

More proof she is a smart girl.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:09 AM
Majesty

Certainly she was advised to do this. A smart decision.

It's a wise decision.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

A very wise decision given the poor poll ratings of the Dutch RF over the past year.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Today it was announced that the Princess of Orange will return the income that she will receive from the state -1,6 million Euros- until she has finished her studies. She will receive the money on her account each year but will transfer it back to the state.

Earlier the Prime Minister said that the discussion around the income was 'populism'.

In a handwritten letter to the Prime Minister the princess said the following about her income:

Quote:
'I find it uncomfortable as long as I can offer little in return and other students have it so much harder, especially in this uncertain corona time'
Only when there are significant costs due to her function of princess will she keep a part of the money as a reimbursement to cover these costs.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-ach...eren~b43fa136/
An interesting change given that the suggestion of postponing the allowance was rejected before.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think it is a very wise decision, be it hers or "encouraged".
Old 06-11-2021, 10:50 AM
Majesty

The allowance isn't officially postponed as that is not an option. She has however indicated that will return both the income (until she graduates from university) and the expense allowance (as long as her expenses in the function of Princess of Orange are limited).
Old 06-11-2021, 11:25 AM
Majesty

She doesn't need much advice on this,she is bright enough,and sensible enough herself.Bravo Amalia.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The allowance isn't officially postponed as that is not an option. She has however indicated that will return both the income (until she graduates from university) and the expense allowance (as long as her expenses in the function of Princess of Orange are limited).
I know, her offer to return the income is what I meant. I am under the impression that this concession was not offered during the previous debates on the allowance, is that correct?
Old 06-11-2021, 12:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Which of course also means that she can hardly be criticized for having limited public appearances.
It goes both ways. Something those who are fond of "what do we get for the apanage" arguments usually fail to realize.

No apanage, no show.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:30 PM
Majesty

but she's not going to be doing engagements, is she if she's studying?
Old 06-11-2021, 12:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

I would say a normal (and IMO) sensible approach would be for her to have various engagements both solo and with her parents, domestically and internationally while studying. - For at least giving her some experience.
After all, when will her studies be completed? When she is 26 or so? In reality probably older.

So when the detractors come - and they will - saying: Where is Amalia?!? She really should blah-blah!! The answer will be: No apanage, no obligation. No pay, no work. That's what you wanted, wasn't it?

Personally I don't think Amalia should return her apanage. Nor do I think it's a good idea to bow to (some) public and political pressure regarding the apanage.

- Because Amalia is working!
She is currently an apprentice in the business called The Netherlands, on a life-time contract, learning the trade. And apprentices are usually paid.
Apprentices are long term investments, who in periods spend time at trade-school.

Giving in, which I believe is the case her, is at best a futile gesture, because the detractors will never be pleased. So stop trying to please them.
It boils down to: How do you measure the work of the royals?
The answer is: You can't.
Because there is no finite answer.

So giving in to public pressure will only encourage the detractors to demand more. - Lend the Devil a little-finger and he'll take the whole arm.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
A very wise decision given the poor poll ratings of the Dutch RF over the past year.
"Poor poll ratings" is quite an overstatement. The royal couple enjoyed alltime highs since 2013 and experienced a serious bump in "Trust in the royal couple" but are now growing again. Any politician would do a murder for their "poor poll ratings" in 2020.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I would say a normal (and IMO) sensible approach would be for her to have various engagements both solo and with her parents, domestically and internationally while studying. - For at least giving her some experience.
After all, when will her studies be completed? When she is 26 or so? In reality probably older.

So when the detractors come - and they will - saying: Where is Amalia?!? She really should blah-blah!! The answer will be: No apanage, no obligation. No pay, no work. That's what you wanted, wasn't it?

Personally I don't think Amalia should return her apanage. Nor do I think it's a good idea to bow to (some) public and political pressure regarding the apanage.

- Because Amalia is working!
She is currently an apprentice in the business called The Netherlands, on a life-time contract, learning the trade. And apprentices are usually paid.
Apprentices are long term investments, who in periods spend time at trade-school.

Giving in, which I believe is the case her, is at best a futile gesture, because the detractors will never be pleased. So stop trying to please them.
It boils down to: How do you measure the work of the royals?
The answer is: You can't.
Because there is no finite answer.

So giving in to public pressure will only encourage the detractors to demand more. - Lend the Devil a little-finger and he'll take the whole arm.
The Princess can not refuse an apanage because it is the law which says an adult heir to the throne receives an annual apanage. The Princess keeps that system intact but returns the amount to the State.

And she has stated that she will use the re-imbursement component for functional costs when she will be confronted with large expenses as Princess of Orange. For an example, she wants to employ an own particulier secretary.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
but she's not going to be doing engagements, is she if she's studying?
No indeed. But she will use the re-imbursement component of her apanage when confronted with large expenses in her role as Princess of Orange. Her annual personal income is some 300.000 euro, her annual re-imbursement budget is 1.300.000 euro.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:13 PM
Majesty

Amalia will be 18 when she starts university studies and her Bachelor degree will take 3 years (if she is doing lots of things on the side probably 4 years); and I wouldn't be surprised if she'd do her master abroad (another 1-2) years. So, at the earliest she is done at age 22; and at the latest 24. Any other course/preparation work (probably except for military training but I'm not sure she will undertake that) will be most likely in addition to royal tasks.

Willem-Alexander first did his military service and long study periods were still acceptable/the norm at the time - so he was a bit older before he started, that is no longer the case. So, I don't expect Amalia to take that much time for her university studies (1 additional year probably but that's about it).