The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-02-2021, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Having your mom talk to you in probably colloquial Spanish and visiting overseas relatives a couple time a year is far from fluently being able to speak with a Native Spanish speaker.
My experience with children that grow up bilingual (several of our friends married partners with a different mother tongue) is different; they are very much able to fluently speak both languages (whether it be English, Spanish or Mandarin). They will mostly have a preferred language (which is the language of their peers) but that doesn't mean that they are not fluent in both - especially in speaking - which we were discussing. They might be a little less fluent in writing and reading in one of the languages; but that would be the same for students attending an international school in their home country like Gabriel did in Belgium and Ingrid-Alexandra and Sverre Magnus in Norway.

As long as the parents (and wider environment) are consistent in their upbringing, children are very much able to speak multiple languages fluently (some might even speak 3 languages fluently if their education is in a third language) and won't have any problem to communicate with children that grew up monolingual.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Leonor and Alexia might not even know each other - and whilst they might be in the same class year that doesn't necessarily mean they will be close friends etc

Interesting that it is Alexia who is going to UWC - I gather the entrance tests are rigorous so maybe Amalia applied but didn't get accepted. We won't ever know I guess

Also why does Alexia have a rebel reputation in the dutch press as noted above in a previous post?
I think they know each other. There were pictures (it's an hassle to find them since it happened long ago), of Felipe and Letizia (when they were Prince and Princess of Asturias) boarding a plane with Leonor and Sofia to the Netherlands (was it when WA and Maxima became King and Queen? I can't recall), but it was discussed back then. So they know each other, even if they met only one time.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Leonor and Alexia might not even know each other - and whilst they might be in the same class year that doesn't necessarily mean they will be close friends etc

Interesti ng that it is Alexia who is going to UWC - I gather the entrance tests are rigorous so maybe Amalia applied but didn't get accepted. We won't ever know I guess

Also why does Alexia have a rebel reputation in the dutch press as noted above in a previous post?
It is very unlikely that Amalia applied but didn't pass the entrance test as she moved advanced to third grade with her fellow students born in the same year (which is not a given; those born in October, November and December are evaluated to see whether they can be 'fast-tracked') and is taking the most rigorous high school program available in the Netherlands. Not many students would be able to successfully take classes in Latin, Greek and Mandarin for example.

Amalia, Alexia and Ariane all are attending Gymnasium - the highest level of secondary school that only about 6% of students attend - which I would classify as at least the same and most likely a bit higher level than IB. IB, however, requires a broad range of subjects. While students in the Netherlands take lots of subjects, so will receive a rather broad education (so all will have maths and languages for example), students do choose between two more natural science oriented tracks or more humanities/social sciences oriented tracks; so if she is preferring one over the other, IB might be less appealing to her.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Regarding the question of if Leonor and Alexia know each other let's not forget that the royals meet up without it being public knowledge. The current generation of heirs have apparently met up regularly through the years and as evident from the picture that was released from Norway they at least sometime bring their kids with them. We also know that for instance Victoria & Daniel holidayed with Willem-Alexander & Máxima in Spain a few years ago and cameras caught Letizia tell Victoria that they had to arrange another get-together during the summer during the enthronement ceremonies of Naruhito in 2019. Another example is that Tiktok video of Christian, Isabella & Alexia dancing that got leaked some time ago. There are many more examples to illustrate my point that the two girls have probably met up much more than we think.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:47 PM
Royal Highness

Wait, they were dancing? Tell me more! Sounds fun.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The "rebel" thing is really an ultra-thin attempt by media to frame the three Princesses. Catharina-Amalia is framed as the future beatrixian type of Queen (smiley, early wise, intellligent, even the same quite firm body type as Princess Beatrix at the same age), Alexia is framed as the so called coquette and Ariane is the sweetie.

Picture: Beatrix and Amalia at the same age

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b5/84/e7/b...aaa65cf57c.jpg
Old 03-02-2021, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Check this thread/post and replies.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Regarding the question of if Leonor and Alexia know each other let's not forget that the royals meet up without it being public knowledge. The current generation of heirs have apparently met up regularly through the years and as evident from the picture that was released from Norway they at least sometime bring their kids with them. We also know that for instance Victoria & Daniel holidayed with Willem-Alexander & Máxima in Spain a few years ago and cameras caught Letizia tell Victoria that they had to arrange another get-together during the summer during the enthronement ceremonies of Naruhito in 2019. Another example is that Tiktok video of Christian, Isabella & Alexia dancing that got leaked some time ago. There are many more examples to illustrate my point that the two girls have probably met up much more than we think.
What video is that? Can I still find this video somewhere?
Old 03-02-2021, 04:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Here it is: https://www.tiktok.com/@christian_va...nter_from=h5_t
Old 03-02-2021, 04:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The "rebel" thing is really an ultra-thin attempt by media to frame the three Princesses. Catharina-Amalia is framed as the future beatrixian type of Queen (smiley, early wise, intellligent, even the same quite firm body type as Princess Beatrix at the same age), Alexia is framed as the so called coquette and Ariane is the sweetie.

Picture: Beatrix and Amalia at the same age

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b5/84/e7/b...aaa65cf57c.jpg
Wow the similarities are astonishing. I always thought that Amalia took after her grandmother and father, but I never saw pictures of Beatrix around the same age as Amalia.

As for Alexia. It was surprising, but equally exciting as well. I don't know the princess of course, but she always gave me an independent vibe. It would not surprise me if she were the one to ask to go upon knowing that her father went to the UWC.

As for Elisabeth and Leonor, I wonder if all the three fathers spoke with each other and gave/receive advice. It doesn't look like a coincidence for the three princesses to go there to finish their studies (even though WA went there). I bet there were discussions between Phillippe, Felipe and WA.

BTW, is Alexia really going to become Leonor's classmate? I mean, they were born in the same year, of course. But, does that school only have one class for each year? I don't know about the UWC and how many students they can have, but if they can't have many students, then it will be just one class per year. But, if its a school with many enrolled students, perhaps, they will have two/three classes per year.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:56 PM
Royal Highness

That Video is... different. What exactly is going on LOL? Not used to seeing Royal kids in that light and Isabella photobombing was too funny!
Old 03-02-2021, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It's nice to think that Alexia will be a friend to Leonor and vice versa, especially as both are royal. The Atlantic College does seem to be the school of choice for the European royals lately.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-02-2021, 06:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
That Video is... different. What exactly is going on LOL? Not used to seeing Royal kids in that light and Isabella photobombing was too funny!
Well, if you explore the username, you'll see that Alexia and Josephine are not the only performers in royal circles.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It seems many seem to think that boarding school is the 'better' choice. I would like to question that assumption. Amalia is getting a very rigorous education. In Willem-Alexander's case the choice was mainly made because he had trouble with his parents; so not necessarily a choice made because they thought boarding school would be the best preparation for his future rule but mostly, that given the circumstances, that was the way to go.

Alexia could just be "done" with Greek and Latin (which would mean she would have to change schools) and looking for an adventure; and with her father previously attending this school and her cousin currently attending boarding school, it was a sensible option that apparently appealed to her.
Boarding school can be a great experience for certain kids but it comes with its own challenges. “Better” amounts to what environment is most likely to suit a particular child, and it’s really a toss up for these privileged girls who are making the choice between an elite, rigorous day school and a good boarding school.

Amalia may have been happy and thriving socially and academically at her school. That’s nothing to take for granted with a sixteen year old girl and messing with a situation that’s working well for the sake of having her try something new if she’s not totally on board comes with its own risks.

WA and Maxima have spoken in the past about letting their girls find their own paths, letting them make mistakes, etc. Obviously there are some things Amalia will have to do as the future Queen, but I’ve never gotten the sense that her parents have a lengthy checklist of educational experiences she MUST
complete.

Alexia seems to want a different experience to round out her last two years of secondary school. Hopefully both girls will look back and feel they made the right choice!
Old 03-02-2021, 08:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with you. I think Amalia did not want to/was not yet ready to go study abroad, which is perfectly fine. I don't get the idea where royals MUST study abroad. Every country has proper educational programs, and if Amalia feels that she wants to complete High School in her country, then fine. It won't make her less of a Queen.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

No one said it was a requirement of being a good monarch

But boarding school in many ways is much more beneficial to royals. Especially a monarch. Or at least a foreign university. It gives them a chance to be a student where they are just another kid. In the Netherlands, Amalia is always the 'future ruler' of all of her classmates. No matter how much kids are told to treat her no different, there is no escaping that. In another country she would be just another student, no one would focus on her title. Her classmates would be her classmates not her future subjects. Its a chance at anonymity not able to gain at home, and a chance to have a regular experience in life.

Happy to see Alexia will be going to Wales.

Her father obviously has fond memories that he can share with his daughter.

I know Alexia and Leonor may not become close friends, but it is great to see two young royals going to school with each other. It would be neat to see a photo of them together at school but thats just wishful thinking.

I saw the debate on their Spanish being different. They have two languages in common. Even if their Spanish is a bit different, they both speak English. And must quite well as the lessons in Wales will be in English.

Exciting time for both girls this fall.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:17 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post

As for Elisabeth and Leonor, I wonder if all the three fathers spoke with each other and gave/receive advice. It doesn't look like a coincidence for the three princesses to go there to finish their studies (even though WA went there). I bet there were discussions between Phillippe, Felipe and WA.
If they are purposefully meeting in secret, away from prying eyes of media, so that they and their children can become closer to each other, then I can't think of a better example of diplomacy by royals in the 21st century. It's not on trend to marry off children to other RFs these days, but at least they can still build lasting friendships that can only benefit them on a personal level, and their countries' relations in the long term. It just makes absolute sense to make sure the kids have direct access to each other, as they will all have some varying degrees of influence in their countries at at some point..
Old 03-03-2021, 02:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps Alexia is proving to be more of a challenging teen than her older sister and W-A thinks the trip to boarding school could be good for her as it was for him when he was clashing with his parents.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
Perhaps Alexia is proving to be more of a challenging teen than her older sister and W-A thinks the trip to boarding school could be good for her as it was for him when he was clashing with his parents.
I would hardly call making tik toks to rap music challenging. Just a teen.

UWC is not the kind of school you send 'troubled teens' to. Its not an easy school to get into. Not the kind parents simply apply and pay the tuition like some boarding schools. There is a whole qualifying procedure.

Perhaps some independence was seen as a good thing for her.

But this is definitely something Alexia would have had to put effort into. Not just a 'we need to kick some sense into her, maybe boarding school will do it'.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
If they are purposefully meeting in secret, away from prying eyes of media, so that they and their children can become closer to each other, then I can't think of a better example of diplomacy by royals in the 21st century. It's not on trend to marry off children to other RFs these days, but at least they can still build lasting friendships that can only benefit them on a personal level, and their countries' relations in the long term. It just makes absolute sense to make sure the kids have direct access to each other, as they will all have some varying degrees of influence in their countries at at some point..

The contacts between the Dutch and Spanish royal couples are very close. I can imagine they really discussed their daughters indeed.

King Felipe recently visited King Willem-Alexander at Huis ten Bosch in The Hague:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGg8M4SWwAEpXkz.jpg

King Felipe and King Willem-Alexander were installed Knight in the Most Noble Order of the Garter at the same day:
https://www.modekoninginmaxima.nl/si...pe19061722.jpg

The Spanish and Dutch royal couples met each other at the funeral of the Prince of Tirnovo:
https://www.rtlboulevard.nl/sites/de...y=semi_dynamic

The Spanish royal couple leaving Grand Hotel des Indes in The Hague to head for King Willem-Alexander's 50th birthday party in The Hague:
https://cdn.nos.nl/image/2017/04/30/375995/xxl.jpg

The Spanish couple visited Noordeinde Palace in The Hague:
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/2CY3T1E/ki...ls-2CY3T1E.jpg

The Dutch royal couple visited their Spanish friends in Madrid:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8b/53...6daef38444.jpg

The Dutch and Spanish royals at the installation of the new Pope:
https://images0.persgroep.net/rcs/Zg...79&quality=0.8

The Spaniards were guest at Het Oude Loo Castle in the east of the Netherlands:
https://images.nouveau.nl/0HVs8mi5hA...?itok=vA7qYH3E

The Dutch royals visited their friends in their private mansion at the Zarzuela compound:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zx_1r0Dcao.../Felipe870.jpg