The Princess of Orange, Pss Alexia and Pss Ariane, News Part 2 (Feb 2019 -Dec 2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She will start participating in Prinsjesdag and will be installed as a member of the Raad van State.

Other than that, I expect she will continue to focus on her studies; but might take on an occasional event (but I expect them to be sparse and far between).
Can't wait to see Amalia in Prinsjesdag. If she had the birthday of her sisters, she would make her debut this year. What a pity. We still have to wait one more year and a half to see her attend the event (she'll be close to 19 then).

And I agree. The Dutch Royal Family seems to prioritize education. So Amalia will keep studying without going to official events (perhaps she will attend one or two now and then, but it seems her sole focus will be her studies, at least in the meantime).

Last edited:
Can't wait to see Amalia in Prinsjesdag. If she had the birthday of her sisters, she would make her debut this year. What a pity. We still have to wait one more year and a half to see her attend the event (she'll be close to 19 then).

Yes, Amalia will have her Prinsjesdag debut in 2022, Alexia in 2023 and Ariane in 2025.

Amalia just told reporters on Koningsdag that she plans to take a gap year next year. She is looking forward to explore the world and do things that she might not be doing in 20 years time. They are for example looking into internships at "exciting companies". Right now she is preparing for her final exams (all is looking good in that respect - she clearly has no doubts about passing the exam but tries to avoid 'showing off') and enjoying her youth and spending time with friends.

Alexia doesn't know yet what she wants to do in the future but is happy with the freedom to follow her own interests.

Last edited:
"Hogwarts for hippies". Interesting description...

Tatler needs to hire new writers, because first, they wrongly say "Princess Leonor of Asturias", and second, how did they make a mistake like this -> "Crown Princess Raiyah of Jordan"???

Anyway...I bet Alexia is excited! Summer vacations are starting soon, and then, she will follow a different path, in a different country, different customs, different routine.

Tatler needs to hire new writers, because first, they wrongly say "Princess Leonor of Asturias", and second, how did they make a mistake like this -> "Crown Princess Raiyah of Jordan"???

Anyway...I bet Alexia is excited! Summer vacations are starting soon, and then, she will follow a different path, in a different country, different customs, different routine.

She has 6 weeks left. Summer holidays don't start until mid-July for schools in 'Middle Netherlands' (the country is divided in North, Middle, South for summer holidays, autumn holidays and early spring holidays).

I guess the one who is least excited is Ariane as both her sisters are leaving home after the summer and she'll be the only one left.

She has 6 weeks left. Summer holidays don't start until mid-July for schools in 'Middle Netherlands' (the country is divided in North, Middle, South for summer holidays, autumn holidays and early spring holidays).

I guess the one who is least excited is Ariane as both her sisters are leaving home after the summer and she'll be the only one left.
Yes, you're right. I went to look the dates for summer holidays after posting my comment, and saw the dates from July 17 - August 29, 2021. I find it quite late and short, here in Portugal, summer holidays starts from mid-June to early-mid September; but we don't have the Autumn break.

Yes, you're right. I went to look the dates for summer holidays after posting my comment, and saw the dates from July 17 - August 29, 2021. I find it quite late and short, here in Portugal, summer holidays starts from mid-June to early-mid September; but we don't have the Autumn break.

This year the Middle region is indeed 17 July - 29 August; North ends and starts one week earlier and South starts and ends one week later. This is a rather late schedule (probably chosen because of Covid); normally the early region would start their summer break early July and the last region restart school the last days of August/first week of September.

In the Netherlands it is:
6 weeks summer break (July-August)
1 week fall break (late October)
2 weeks Christmas break (late December)
1 week crocus break (late February; for the South it is tied to the week of Carnival)
1-2 weeks May break (early May)

So, about 12 weeks in total per year. In addition, there a several 'long weekends' due to national holidays in Spring: Easter (Friday-Monday); Ascension Day (Thursday-Sunday) and Pentecost (Saturday-Monday). Dates are of course dependent on the Christian calendar.

From an educational point of view this system is rather ideal: school periods (between breaks) typically last about 2 months (after that students are able to recharge for 1-2 weeks); and the longest break is only 6 weeks ensuring that pupils don't have forgotten as much compared to much longer summer breaks. Previously secondary schools would have 7 weeks of summer break but that was brought back to 6 weeks (like in primary school) a few years back.

Amalia graduated cum laude from the highest track of high school! See NOS for a picture and video of her raising the flag with her school bag attached to it (a Dutch tradition for students graduating from high school).

Last edited:
Congratulations to our princess. Well done.
Cum laude means that her marks were minimal 8 average, with no marks below a 7.
Marks go from 1(lowest) to 10 (highest).

Aw! Congratulations to the Princess! Beautiful photos. (Really, the Dutch and Spanish Princesses have the best hair.) I can't wait to see what she does next- she's obviously a hard worker.

Congratulations to our princess. Well done.
Cum laude means that her marks were minimal 8 average, with no marks below a 7.
Marks go from 1(lowest) to 10 (highest).

Just read that the average mean is 6.76 (5.5 is needed to pass for an individual subject).

Taking into account that less than 20% of the student population attends the VWO-level (preparatory university education); her average of at least 8 means that she is definitely in the top 5% but most likely the top 2% of the population in terms of her school results. So, we've got a very intelligent future queen.

Many congratulations to Princess Catharina-Amalia. I also really liked the photos, I didn't know about this tradition of flying the flag on this occasion.

Just read that the average mean is 6.76 (5.5 is needed to pass for an individual subject).

Taking into account that less than 20% of the student population attends the VWO-level (preparatory university education); her average of at least 8 means that she is definitely in the top 5% but most likely the top 2% of the population in terms of her school results. So, we've got a very intelligent future queen.
Yes, she is a very smart girl.

Many congratulations to Princess Catharina-Amalia. I also really liked the photos, I didn't know about this tradition of flying the flag on this occasion.
Yes, it is a fun tradition. I counted six flags along the way, when picking up my girls from school today. You always recollect the moment you were able to do so yourself.

Well done Amalia! Can't wait to see what the future has in store for her (not the Queen training thing, but her gap year, her interests, her goals in life).

Bravo Amalia. It's impressive and undoubtedly reflects how hard she's worked. If she continues, her country will be in very good hands.

Today it was announced that the Princess of Orange will return the income that she will receive from the state -1,6 million Euros- until she has finished her studies. She will receive the money on her account each year but will transfer it back to the state.

Earlier the Prime Minister said that the discussion around the income was 'populism'.

In a handwritten letter to the Prime Minister the princess said the following about her income:

'I find it uncomfortable as long as I can offer little in return and other students have it so much harder, especially in this uncertain corona time'

Only when there are significant costs due to her function of princess will she keep a part of the money as a reimbursement to cover these costs.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-ac...-terug-tot-ze-klaar-is-met-studeren~b43fa136/

That sounds like a sensible idea.

I'm not familiar with the discussion. Would it have been her idea or would she have been strongly "encouraged" to do this?

Certainly she was advised to do this. A smart decision.

It's a wise decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very wise decision given the poor poll ratings of the Dutch RF over the past year.

Today it was announced that the Princess of Orange will return the income that she will receive from the state -1,6 million Euros- until she has finished her studies. She will receive the money on her account each year but will transfer it back to the state.

Earlier the Prime Minister said that the discussion around the income was 'populism'.

In a handwritten letter to the Prime Minister the princess said the following about her income:

'I find it uncomfortable as long as I can offer little in return and other students have it so much harder, especially in this uncertain corona time'

Only when there are significant costs due to her function of princess will she keep a part of the money as a reimbursement to cover these costs.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-ac...-terug-tot-ze-klaar-is-met-studeren~b43fa136/

An interesting change given that the suggestion of postponing the allowance was rejected before.

I think it is a very wise decision, be it hers or "encouraged".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom