The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-24-2021, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy50 View Post
There are a few options for Amalia,
she ignores all this, takes the job...
she develops eating disorder and be the second Victoria... who knows if she can then ever cope with all the expectations of the job...
she skips the job , which I think would be a healthy decision for her future...

Seriously, how should any commoner marrying a royal and getting a parent one day cope with all this sh.. done to your child?
Skips the job? Seriously? Don't you think her father, mother and grandmother have been ensuring she is ready for being Crown Princess and Queen Regent? And building resilience in her to cope with this type of harrassment? Of course they have!

This type of bullying toward Amalia, albeit in an implicit manner, is disgusting. She is only 17 years old FFS. No child and very young adult should have to go through such public display of bullying. And those who believe she should be only sheltered until 18 need to remember an adult's brain is not matured until mid-20s. This is why it is so important young adults have the scaffolding, guidance and mentorship to help build resilience.

I am so glad Amalia and her sisters come from a loving and grounded family where they will help her navigate being such a public figure

Old 01-25-2021, 02:03 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I fear that criticism will come way before she is in her mid 20-ties. It is a free country people even have a right to express dismay at public figures, including an adult princess who will be receiving over a million Euros of tax payers money.

Up to now the press has been very kind to her and to the other princesses. We have seldom -if ever- seen a paparazzi photo published. She and her sisters were able to grow up in relatively normal, sheltered and very priviledged way.

The issue is probably not so much the press but more social media. There people blurt out whatever it is they think and that sometimes can get nasty and insulting. The one or two discussions on social media on Amalia generally will see only a handful of nasty remarks -usually about weight- after which an army of other users tumble all over each other to sing her praises and to condemn whatever it is that was said. All well-meaning for sure but the more oxygen you give trolls the more you amplify them as well.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:14 AM
Courtier

Taking another good look at the character "Amhalia" the adult Male comedian dressed up as Amalia. I don't see anything "good natured" going on. The world can be a very cruel place, obviously not everyone's sensibilities are the same, and in some cases no sensibility.
https://www.superguide.nl/nieuws/roy...epast-tv:bang:

It is fortunate Amalia comes from what appears to be a very loving, strong supportive family. Amalia is very pretty, obviously nothing like this dreadful, character (ick) other than blue outfits. If she does become aware of this program I hope it can only make her stronger and not on the way to developing an eating disorder or worse. I recall Maxima's sister committed suicide, just saying.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
This type of bullying toward Amalia, albeit in an implicit manner, is disgusting. She is only 17 years old FFS. No child and very young adult should have to go through such public display of bullying. And those who believe she should be only sheltered until 18 need to remember an adult's brain is not matured until mid-20s. This is why it is so important young adults have the scaffolding, guidance and mentorship to help build resilience.
I do get what you're saying, really i do, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I fear that criticism will come way before she is in her mid 20-ties. It is a free country people even have a right to express dismay at public figures, including an adult princess who will be receiving over a million Euros of tax payers money.
...apparently her parents and the government think she will be mature enough to be paid this amount of money when she's 18...
then i don't think they can avoid people on social media talking about her after she turned 18...

But I'm sure her parents have prepared her well, also in this aspect, the king himself also received his fair of criticism when he was about her age..
Old 01-25-2021, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
the king himself also received his fair of criticism when he was about her age..

Was a totally different time and pre advent of social media arm chair warriors.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:06 AM
Majesty

well better she keeps off social media, doesn't read about herself in the papers and mags etc.. Unless she doesn't want to be Queen...
Old 01-25-2021, 08:36 AM
Heir Apparent

This sort of thing will only accelerate as Amalia ages, so she'll have to deal with it.
People will criticize her weight, her clothes, her friends, her pets.
Happens to any one in the public eye, and there's not much to prevent it.

Hopefully, she will be strong enough to ignore it.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think it was a very bad taste to include the Princess in their satire program. Amalia is currently 17 years old, a very sensitive age where one is VERY conscious of his/her body (and mostly in a bad way, since teenagers are usually "harsh" on themselves looks-wise).

I suffered from overweight when I was a teen, and I never forgot what the bullies said about my appearance, it left a scar on my heart. Despite all that, I grew up a confident woman (but not without its hardships). Yes, it took a long time to love myself, and I keep trying to, but I came to "heal" despite the horrible days at Middle School.

That said, and right now, Amalia is a teen coming of age, things like this will certainly hurt her deeply (she won't probably forget about it), but I hope that she will come to terms with it as she gets older. I believe she will. She looks like a very strong, confident young woman. I'm sure that she will realise that there's more to life than just those mean people.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:37 PM
Courtier

I think adults who feel the need to pick on children or young people are very insecure about them self's. It is always easier to pick on someone else, then look at one's self, these people should take a good look in the mirror and be honest and ask them self's if they like what they see?. Sadly to say Bullying has been with Society maybe since the beginning of time. As time goes on it is getting worse. The arrogance of these people is sickening, maybe if someone do it to them or their children, it will open their eye, but I don't think so, their selfishness don't allow it. To these people I can only say grow up and get a life.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Skips the job? Seriously? Don't you think her father, mother and grandmother have been ensuring she is ready for being Crown Princess and Queen Regent? And building resilience in her to cope with this type of harrassment? Of course they have!

I am so glad Amalia and her sisters come from a loving and grounded family where they will help her navigate being such a public figure
These were only suggestions, thought it was obvious, sorry if you did not get it.

But to your opinions : what do you think about the swedish side, do you think Carl&Sylvia had done a bad job because Victoria developed eating disorder?

and yes, skipping the job is of course an option for amalia or should be. every being is meant to be free of choice why not a crown princess, because people like you expect it? may I then ask back:
who are you to decide about one's life? are you dutch, by the way?
see? it is a thin thin line in our days, when we all long for freedom, democracy , human rigths.... why should a 17 year old run for the job? and this seen in the context of the harassment she receives for not looking like " some people" expect her to.
interesting questions. would like to read from you again.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:34 PM
Royal Highness

I am Dutch and I think that the Dutch in general feel that Amalia should have the choice to chose a different path, if that is what makes her really happy.
Whether it would happen, I doubt it. Unless Alexia can convince her older sister that she is ready AND willing to take her place.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

As a fellow Dutch, imho it is her duty to be the next queen of the Netherlands. That doesn't mean that if she truly doesn't want to (so far the indications are that she is aware of her duty and is preparing for it out of the limelight), that there aren't options to make that known and change the outcome; but it's not a 'pick and choose; what do you like most?'. My (and the country's and even constitutional) expectation for her is to fulfill the role of princess of Orange to the best of her abilities right now and take on the dignity and all that comes with it when the time comes to ascend the throne as the next queen of the Netherlands.

If the family decides that the burden of this constitutional position is too heavy to carry (especially for the heir), they should make it known and the monarchy should be abolished... or another family found willing to carry it on (but it seems rather unlikely to be accepted by the Dutch parliament/population).
Old 01-27-2021, 03:51 PM
Royal Highness

Theoretically it aren't the Dutch people that expect Catharina-Amalia to become Queen one day. It's the constitution that expects her to do so, which has led to the practice of people expecting it from her.
She's not the chosen one like in an election.

So yes, unless she would for whatever reason truly be unable to fulfill that duty one day, she has no choice. This is what she is supposed to do.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

This discussion is quite interesting. I think that we haven't heard yet about Amalia's opinion on her future role (or should I say a speech, or interview where she talks about it).

We've seen Leonor talking about her role as Princess of Asturias, Elisabeth at her 18th birthday where she said that Belgium can count on her, and Ingrid Alexandra at her confirmation who often spoke about her position (and King Harald at her confirmation who spoke that she will be the first female Sovereign not to be overtaken by a young male sibling, which means Ingrid Alexandra truly knows about her serious role and the commitment she has to take).

But for Amalia not much is known, except when WA became King. She apparently said when she was going to be Queen?...But that's not even an opinion on the matter or an oath. Or did I miss something? Did she say anything about it in a meaningful way before? Perhaps, at King's day?
Old 01-27-2021, 07:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
This discussion is quite interesting. I think that we haven't heard yet about Amalia's opinion on her future role (or should I say a speech, or interview where she talks about it).

We've seen Leonor talking about her role as Princess of Asturias, Elisabeth at her 18th birthday where she said that Belgium can count on her, and Ingrid Alexandra at her confirmation who often spoke about her position (and King Harald at her confirmation who spoke that she will be the first female Sovereign not to be overtaken by a young male sibling, which means Ingrid Alexandra truly knows about her serious role and the commitment she has to take).

But for Amalia not much is known, except when WA became King. She apparently said when she was going to be Queen?...But that's not even an opinion on the matter or an oath. Or did I miss something? Did she say anything about it in a meaningful way before? Perhaps, at King's day?
The girl just turned seventeen. The only real expression was on King's Day 2019, where a 15 years old Princess stated she did not want a show-version of herself, meaning she intends to remain her true self.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
I think adults who feel the need to pick on children or young people are very insecure about them self's. It is always easier to pick on someone else, then look at one's self, these people should take a good look in the mirror and be honest and ask them self's if they like what they see?. Sadly to say Bullying has been with Society maybe since the beginning of time. As time goes on it is getting worse. The arrogance of these people is sickening, maybe if someone do it to them or their children, it will open their eye, but I don't think so, their selfishness don't allow it. To these people I can only say grow up and get a life.
Bravo, I agree. I always feel the same way when the bullies mock Catherine or Latizia for their slim shapes. Of course critique their clothes but since both of these women have close relatives with same slender figures, I guess slender bodies run in their family. Some of the comments were quite beastly. Often wonder why they enjoy making such comments and would they still do if they didn't hide behind the safety of the internet with fake names. Damn Shame.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
I am Dutch and I think that the Dutch in general feel that Amalia should have the choice to chose a different path, if that is what makes her really happy.
Whether it would happen, I doubt it. Unless Alexia can convince her older sister that she is ready AND willing to take her place.

I am not very familiar with the Dutch constitution, but, other than exclusion from the line of succession for marrying without the consent of Parliament, I believe the only option for Amalia to renounce her sucession rights would be a bill introduced on behalf of the King under Art. 29, but that would require approval of two-thirds of the votes cast in a joint session of the two houses of Parliament.

Technicalities aside, the relevant point to convey, especially for readers who live in republics, is that it is generally impossible for a person to unilaterally renounce his/her succession rights to a Crown. So being a successor to the throne is something a person is generally stuck with regardless of his/her will.

Again, countries like Spain, Netherlands and the UK require special legislation for excluding successors by renunciation (in Spain and the Netherlands, qualified majorities are required; in the UK, consent from other Commonwealth realms is also needed). In some other monarchies like Sweden or Denmark, renunciation by ordinary legislation may not even be possible and, again, other than exclusion by unapproved marriages or religious tests, it may be the case that only a constitutional amendment procedure could change the line of sucession (not sure about that though).
Old 02-04-2021, 11:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I am not very familiar with the Dutch constitution, but, other than exclusion from the line of succession for marrying without the consent of Parliament, I believe the only option for Amalia to renounce her sucession rights would be a bill introduced on behalf of the King under Art. 29, but that would require approval of two-thirds of the votes cast in a joint session of the two houses of Parliament.

Technicalities aside, the relevant point to convey, especially for readers who live in republics, is that it is generally impossible for a person to unilaterally renounce his/her succession rights to a Crown. So being a successor to the throne is something a person is generally stuck with regardless of his/her will.

Again, countries like Spain, Netherlands and the UK require special legislation for excluding successors by renunciation (in Spain and the Netherlands, qualified majorities are required; in the UK, consent from other Commonwealth realms is also needed). In some other monarchies like Sweden or Denmark, renunciation by ordinary legislation may not even be possible and, again, other than exclusion by unapproved marriages or religious tests, it may be the case that only a constitutional amendment procedure could change the line of sucession (not sure about that though).
Well, I was talking about sentiment, not practicalities.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
One would wish,or better want,it is the LAST..

I certainly call on all to ban this non- program of sorts.That Carlo Bosshard creature went too far,way way too far!
And that Najib,how cheap can one get,how cheap,and what reaffirment of sorts,bah bah bah!

Down with the lot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I certainly agree. I think all "shows" that mock and bully anyone are a disgrace. [...] That being said, to pull apart a child or teen is wicked. The authors and actors should be held accountable publicly for their being morally evil [...]
Quote:
This type of bullying toward Amalia, albeit in an implicit manner, is disgusting.

Could you clarify precisely what was said or shown on the program which you are referring to? I was unable to find specifics in the articles which have been posted here, although it is entirely possible that I overlooked it. Marengo, Lee-Z, and Lady Daly referred to the criticism being focused on the casting of an adult man based on his name being "Amhali". Is that what your comments are based upon?
Old 02-05-2021, 03:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Could you clarify precisely what was said or shown on the program which you are referring to? I was unable to find specifics in the articles which have been posted here, although it is entirely possible that I overlooked it. Marengo, Lee-Z, and Lady Daly referred to the criticism being focused on the casting of an adult man based on his name being "Amhali". Is that what your comments are based upon?

Muhler's post #186 spoke about a tv satire, RTL's De TV Kantine, portraying the royal family and especially Amalia in a derogatory way. Several links are listed on his post calling out the show.

I searched and found a clip of the show. I don't understand the language but the audio visual is far from funny. They used an adult male comedian, Najib Amhali, to dress up as 17 y/o teen Princess Amalia.

https://www.rtlxl.nl/programma/de-tv...7-449f1e980778 (tap several times on black screen, clip plays after 2 ads) It's pretty sicko.