The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-06-2020, 06:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Máxima about Amalia's seventeenth birthday tomorrow (aka Covid-19).

"We try to spread it out. That three people come on that day and three others come on another day. So the whole week is dedicated to Amalia's birthday."

https://www.translatoruser-int.com/t...-vieren-2-2%2f

Old 12-07-2020, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

No new photo or anything to commemorate the future Queen's 17th birthday?

Old 12-07-2020, 05:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
No new photo or anything to commemorate the future Queen's 17th birthday?
Nope, just this https://twitter.com/koninklijkhuis/s...424919552?s=21

But I am sure next year will very different!
Old 12-08-2020, 07:30 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katymcwaity View Post
Nope, just this https://twitter.com/koninklijkhuis/s...424919552?s=21

But I am sure next year will very different!
I wonder what will be planned for her 18th.

Will we see her in formal pictures with tiara?

Old 12-08-2020, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Its hard to believe that the Princess will be 18 next year.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

It has hit the news here in DK, that a satire show has portrayed the royal family and in particular Amalia in a less than flattering way.

The satire show, RTL's De TV Kantine is being accused of fat-shaming Amalia and that has caused quite a stir according to Danish media.

Here are a few comments on the satire show:
https://www.superguide.nl/nieuws/roy...ne-ongepast-tv
https://twitter.com/hashtag/TVKantin...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Here in English:
https://netherlandsnewslive.com/but-...opriate/62664/
A less than impressed article in German:
https://www.derwesten.de/panorama/pr...231368643.html
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...malia-skam-jer
Old 01-22-2021, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

It's the first time I read about it... Her parents are used to being portrait in a less than flattering way but so far most didn't really 'touch' the princesses. I guess now she is getting a bit older she is starting to be considered 'fair game' by some?!

The picture included in your first link seems rather bad taste.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:54 PM
Courtier

It appears this program went way too far, from satire to humorless cruelty. I hope this episode is the last of it.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Poor taste is putting it nicely.

Kids, even at 17, should be off limits to shows like this.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I truly hope this is the last time we'll see a depiction like this one, but sadly I doubt that it will be. From the new Prince George animated series to this skit featuring "Amalia", there seems to be no limit on using young royals as a source of amusement.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Poor taste is putting it nicely.

Kids, even at 17, should be off limits to shows like this.
I certainly agree. I think all "shows" that mock and bully anyone are a disgrace. We have cartoons plus Saturday Night Live that use sarcasm and nasty bullying for humor against the Pope, Politicians, Entertainers and Sports Figures. Extremely low class and can be quite vile. For some reason people enjoy. I often wonder if they are bullies themselves or if they would find it enjoyable if their own family was publicly mocked! That being said, to pull apart a child or teen is wicked. The authors and actors should be held accountable publicly for their being morally evil to a child. JMHO
Old 01-23-2021, 10:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Very little satire is good, come to think of it.

It is possible to do satire that is both sharp, elegant - and which makes the "victim" think perhaps.

Most of it is poor quality or as in this case mean.
Because most satirists don't think about what is good satire, but more about themselves and getting focus on themselves. And the best way to do that is to bush the boundaries.
That the victim is an adolescent, in a very sensitive age and no doubt like all teens very conscious about her looks, is immaterial - as long as I, the Great Satirist, can bask in the limelight.

But how do you explain that to a seventeen year old daughter, even a bright seventeen year old, old standing in front of the mirror?
Old 01-23-2021, 11:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Daly View Post
It appears this program went way too far, from satire to humorless cruelty. I hope this episode is the last of it.
One would wish,or better want,it is the LAST..

I certainly call on all to ban this non- program of sorts.That Carlo Bosshard creature went too far,way way too far!
And that Najib,how cheap can one get,how cheap,and what reaffirment of sorts,bah bah bah!

Down with the lot!

No,one hopes for HRH to grow above these sort of folks,stand far above them and ignore them whenever possible.But before the above,it will hurt,hurt a bright,smart,loveble young woman coming at the age of 18 soon,Heir to the Throne,how cheap to mock her. Really,I would love to have a chat with these characters at an appropriate place in Amsterdam...next to a canal..I just took a nip of my glass and oops...gone they were would you believe it...
Old 01-23-2021, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

This is very bad taste and she is a teenager, none of them want to listen that, less to be ashamed in public. It is a very sensitive topic. The only thing is that she is a very tall girl and yes she is not particularly slim and I believe it will carry on to her adulthood, And there she will have to deal with the media because media will not stop. I am not sure how it was in the old days but I am sure not all queens and princesses were pretty and slim. May be her path it is to help girls like her ?
Old 01-23-2021, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

This is not nice at all the Princess has barely turned 17 they should pick on someone else and leave children out of it .
Old 01-23-2021, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

There should be some kind of media law on protecting minors in the media in regards to these shows. I don't mind the odd occasional light hearted/affectionate spoof of a royal child, but picking on their appearances - which they cannot help - is uncalled for. Amalia is only 17 and isn't old enough to have any sort of negative perception of her in the press or any kind of scandal/unfortunate incident happen to her. There's no legitimate thing they can justify their portrayals of her with.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-24-2021, 03:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

making fun of people based on body features is not satire, it is bullying, let alone if the focus is on a minor.
satire is usually based on what somebody did or said, there is a lot of funny stuff out there eg on WA and his speedboat, which is perfectly fine.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:09 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I am not sure if they actually made fun of her weight.

I do not like the programme but their parodies tend to be very good-natured. The (lame) joke was that - instead of an Amalia- the family was now joined by an 'Amhalia' as the name of the stand up comedian who played her is Najib Ahmali. That's all.

Apparently 3 people on twitter had problems with it, saw fat-shaming and the Telegraaf newspaper -the closest thing we have to a tabloid- used those 3 tweets to write an article about people being 'outraged'. And one of the outraged tweets was by columnist Arthur van Amerongen, whose 'outraged' tweet was actually intended to mock people who are eternally outraged on twitter, which was lost on whatever badly paid intern was tasked with writing the article.

Personally I think it is better if they would have waited until the princess is an adult but as parodies go it can't be much friendlier than this.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, this program and the tv station are some of the most mainstream we have in the NL, and indeed the critique, as far as i read it was mainly about her being played by a mature man (like Marengo said, this is comedian Najib Amhali, i think they made the connection because of his last name which turned to Amhalia) and people under 18 should not be parodied, period. Most reactions on nu.nl (article i can't find anymore unfortunately) were also to that extend, carefully to avoid commenting on her looks, again because of her age.

other than that the parody got praised for some of the other performances and likenesses.

i'm not a watcher of the program myself, but i do agree that under-18's are off limit

Parodies always exagarate a specific thing that is noticeable about a person, imo if Amalia will start making more personal appearances after she turns 18, and people will get to know her personality (which we don't really know now because we only see the princesses a few times a year in pictures, so all we know is what they look like) a parody likely this will focus on something else..

Parodies are never to everyone's liking i'm afraid
Old 01-24-2021, 03:45 PM
Gentry

There are a few options for Amalia,
she ignores all this, takes the job...
she develops eating disorder and be the second Victoria... who knows if she can then ever cope with all the expectations of the job...
she skips the job , which I think would be a healthy decision for her future...

Seriously, how should any commoner marrying a royal and getting a parent one day cope with all this sh.. done to your child?