The Princess of Orange, Pss Alexia and Pss Ariane, News Part 2 (Feb 2019 -Dec 2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil

Welcome to Part 2 of the threads dedicated
to the daughters of King Willem-Alexander & Queen Máxima:
Princess Catharina-Amalia, Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane

The previous thread can be found [URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f48/princesses-catharina-amalia-alexia-and-ariane-part-3-dec-2007-april-2013-a-15151.html"]here[/URL].

Last edited:
An expected move that confirms that like her elder sisters Ariane is a well-performing student who will most likely attend (a research) university after finishing her 6-years of high school.

Princess Amalia was interviewed on king's day and shared that at times it is a bit unreal to realize that this is truly her life. Furthermore, she said that she really enjoys the king's day activities but that it's a bit daunting as well.

Queen Máxima also told that her daughter prepared herself well for the region quiz that was part of today's activities by studying the various villages. According to her the family is rather competitive (the mayor concluded the king was the most competitive of all).

Last edited:
Princess Amalia was interviewed on king's day and shared that at times it is a bit unreal to realize that this is truly her life. Furthermore, she said that she really enjoys the king's day activities but that it's a bit daunting as well.

Queen Máxima also told that her daughter prepared herself well for the region quiz that was part of today's activities by studying the various villages. According to her the family is rather competitive (the mayor concluded the king was the most competitive of all).

Thank you Somebody for this little tidbit - it must be strange indeed as the DRF seem to be a very down to earth family so I'm sure that aside from this fact, the family live a pretty "normal" life and Amalia does a lot of things and likes a lot of things other young Dutch girls her age do, so it must feel surreal when she realises she'll be a queen one day. This reminds me of the Countess of Wessex saying that Lady Louise only realised her grandmother was the queen when other children in her class told her.

Amalia has grown up a lot and has become much more confident out and about now. She seems to be a very lovely and humble young lady.

In Amersfoort the Princess of Orange also said: "I want to establish myself as good as possible, so not to bring a show-version of myself".

Wow. Wise words from a 15 years old. And veeeeery beatrixian also.

Formal Wilhelmina, folksy Juliana, formal Beatrix, folksy Willem-Alexander, formal Catharina-Amalia?

:lol:

Last edited:
Don't know if this is the right thread but I have a question:

Yesterday HRH Princess Ingrid Alexandra had celebrated her confirmation and now I wonder if HRH The Princess of Orange had already her big day and is also confirmed?

Thanks for your answers!

I'm not very well versed in the sacraments of the Dutch Reformed Church and if they even have a Confirmation ceremony?

I'm not very well versed in the sacraments of the Dutch Reformed Church and if they even have a Confirmation ceremony?

There is a confirmation in the dtuch reformed Church. My guess is that the Princess Catharina-Amalia's confirmation has already taken place but was private. As far as i remeber this ws the case for King Willem-Alexander and his brothers.

Don't know at which age a confiramtion takes palce in the Netherlands but here in Germany it is usally when one is 14 years old, sometimes a year later if one has started scholol a year later (this was the case fo me my confirmation was a few weeks before my 15th birthday).

Last edited:
In the Dutch Protestant Church it is called Openbare belijdenis des Geloofs (similar to the German Öffentliche Bekenntnis des Glaubens). The Prince of Orange only did it in 1997, when he was 29 (!) years old. Apparently the Prince felt not convinced enough to confirm his Faith in the Protestant denomination. With such an act one becomes an official lidmaat (Mitglied, member) of that Christian denomination.

He had years of Bible classes with the Reverend Carel ter Linden, who would marry him and baptize his eldest daughter. It seems the Prince considered himself a Christian but had difficulties to dedicate himself to a specific Christian denomination. His Openbare ( = "public") belijdenis des Geloofs was not announced and happened during a regular Service at the Kloosterkerk (Cloister Church) in The Hague, without any hullabaloo and just with the local congregation attending.

We will see how the Princess of Orange thinks about the Openbare belijdenis des Geloofs. Maybe she is even more disliking the idea to dedicate herself into a specific Christian denomination since her parents are Christian indeed but from totally different denominations.

Last edited:
As Duc_et_Pair explained, the Dutch tradition is different. It's important to distinguish between the Lutheran tradition (dominant in Scandinavia and Germany) in which confirmation takes place at around 15 years of age and the Calvinist tradition (dominant in the Netherlands) in which confirmation typically took place at 18 years or older. (Note: I was 17 years of age - and did not see a reason to wait any longer - and got questions why I did it so early).

Nowadays it's not a given that those who are christened in a specific church will also confess their faith. It is really seen as a step of faith, confirming that they are willing to follow Christ in their lives - and become 'full members' of the church.

I don't think the king only confessing his faith at 29 years of age meant he had doubts about his denomination. It seems more likely that he did not want to do it out of 'automaticity' (i.e., something that was expected of him) but that it truly had to be his personal decision [Side note: interestingly, the others confessing their faith in the same church service did not know that the prince of Orange would be added to their group until a day prior (or maybe even the day itself - the wife of one of them told me a long time ago; so can't recall the exact time period; but is was short!.] I expect that king Willem-Alexandra will also stress that with his daughters, so I expect them to only confess their faith when they are ready to and not just because it is expected as a certain age.

I cannot remember it was ever formally announced that the princes Friso and Constantijn confessed their faith. Friso and Mabel even decided to baptize their children privately in the palace (not attached to a church or denomination - which might make it invalid according to church law).

Going back to the original comparison with Norway, king Harald even specifically mentioned that although I-A's confirmation was supposed to be her personal decision (affirming her christening), he wasn't completely sure it was a free decision of hers.

My dear Ingrid, confirmation involves an affirmation of baptism. As young children we are unable to make our own choices. I am not sure whether you actually feel you have made your own choice today either, but choice always involves a paradox.

Last edited:
The sacrament of baptism makes the two countesses (daughters of Prince Friso and Princess Mabel) Christian but their parents hoped they - eventually- would make their own choice to confirm themselves into a denomination (or not). Their baptism by Huub Oosterhuis, a former Jesuit Priest and since 40 years spiritual leader of the Amsterdam Ecclesia (a congregation of Christians from all Christian denominations) means the countesses are Christian indeed but not enlisted into any specific church registry, as the Amsterdam Ecclesia is no denomination or institutional church itself.

Last edited:
The future Queen Wilhelmina was confirmed aged 16 at the Noordeinde Palace,not sure what chapel was used.

The future Queen Wilhelmina was confirmed aged 16 at the Noordeinde Palace,not sure what chapel was used.

She was already Queen by then since 6 years.

Different times; and a differentiation from normal practice. Indeed most likely because she was the queen. Her daughter princess Juliana confessed her faith on June 12 1927 (aged 18) in the Juliana church. In doing so conforming to the norm of her generation.

Princess Beatrix also confessed her faith at the age of 18. According to the Archive of the Nieuwezijds Kapel she did so at that church (in Amsterdam) on March 25, 1956 with rev. Kater as preacher.

Last edited:
Sadly the Julianakerk church was closed in 1997 and sold and is now used as an information centre :previous:

:previous:

Add to this that the Nieuwezijdse Kapel is now housing "The Amsterdam Dungeon" a sort of indoor fun fair. This is illustrative for the secularisation of the Netherlands. Even the New Church (where the Prince of Orange married in 2002) has no religious use anymore. The last religious service before said marriage was in 1955... The churches outside the Amsterdam-Rotterdam-The Hague-Utrecht metropolitan area have difficult times as well, but there is still a sort of church life.

:previous:

Add to this that the Nieuwezijdse Kapel is now housing "The Amsterdam Dungeon" a sort of indoor fun fair. This is illustrative for the secularisation of the Netherlands. Even the New Church (where the Prince of Orange married in 2002) has no religious use anymore. The last religious service before said marriage was in 1955... The churches outside the Amsterdam-Rotterdam-The Hague-Utrecht metropolitan area have difficult times as well, but there is still a sort of church life.

As illustration of Dutch secularisation, this story about the famous 1985 visit of John Paul II to the Netherlands: :lol:when Cardinal Willebrands was asked about his favourite part of the visit, his answer was 'when the pope left'
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasto...85_bij_het_bezoek_van_de_paus_aan_Utrecht.jpg

And two little waves for the camera :). It must be an exiting day for her, the first day at secundary school. I believe the school is close to the Peace Palace, so it must still be 20 minutes on bike.

When Ariane cycles to school with friends do you imagine she is accompanied by a protection officer?

Both I imagine. Often the child who lives the furthest away from school picks up friends who live along the route. But in the case of the Princesses I imagine there will be a security guard cycling behind them.

When Ariane cycles to school with friends do you imagine she is accompanied by a protection officer?

Yes, you can see a protection officer's car following the Princess, in the video.

Happy 16th Birthday to Princess Amalia!

Beautiful new picture taken at Hague

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/binar...an-oranje/2019-najaar-prinses-van-oranje.jpeg

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/actueel/nieuws/2019/12/07/verjaardag-van-de-prinses-van-oranje

A chic dinner with international royals and friends for the 16th Birthday of Amalia.

Amalia’s Argentinian family is said to have been at the 16th birthday, but also royals - including a number of Amalia’s generations - from Europe

https://royalinsider.nl/2019/12/07/geen-disco-maar-chic-diner-op-paleis-voor-jarige-amalia/

Last edited by a moderator:
Now she has changed! Nice picture by the King. Many happy years to the Princess!

And the Dutch news is focusing on 'in 2 years time she will get a dotation of about 1.5 million euro'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom