HM Queen Elizabeth II​ - Rest In Peace
The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-09-2022, 09:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
ASC (The Amsterdam Student Corps) will accept new members this year (according to NOS), however, they will follow an adapted introduction period that will not include 'proofs' (those things that easily turn into humiliation and sometimes physical aggression). So, I guess Amalia can sign up after all... as I haven't seen any indication that she changed her mind because of the recent scandals.
The Princess of Orange will not join that...Corps.....as was announced this morning by the government information service....Oh,just as well.

Old 08-09-2022, 02:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
The Princess of Orange will not join that...Corps.....as was announced this morning by the government information service....Oh,just as well.
It was announced that she will not join 'now' and 'at this moment'. That sounds very much as if she still intends to join but waits for a moment in which the Corps is less in the picture because of their bad customs.

See NOS.

The relevant bit:

In Dutch:
Quote:
Prinses Amalia heeft besloten om nu geen lid van het Amsterdamse studentencorps A.S.C./A.V.S.V. te worden. De prinses, die gaat studeren en wonen in Amsterdam, ziet er op dit moment van af.
Translation:
Quote:
Princess Amalia has decided not to become a member of the Amsterdam student corps A.S.C./A.V.S.V. now. The princess, who is going to study and live in Amsterdam, is currently (literally: at this moment) forgoing it (read: membership).
In response to a sarcastic tweet (see this account - unfortunately, I cannot link to the specific tweet) about this news, someone indicated that Amalia was participating in 'walking stamps' (not sure what it means but I guess it is part of the introduction to student life in Amsterdam/the Corps); so that person suggested that most likely the decision has been made for Amalia and not necessarily by Amalia.

Old 08-09-2022, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Pss Amalia passed the examinations and now has her drivers license.

https://www.rtlboulevard.nl/royalty/...aagd-rijbewijs
Old 08-09-2022, 04:40 PM
Majesty

Quite smart to do so before starting her studies as she will have a lot less time on her hands than during a gap year.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:42 PM
Majesty

In discussing Amalia's decision, the NOS mentions that -while Amalia indicated to be looking forward to a student life including 'jaarclubs' and everything that goes with being a member of a student corps- her father did so because it was expected and not because he wanted to; just like he went to Leiden University because of tradition and not necessarily because it was where he wanted to study.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

I would advise the Princess to join a students' club indeed and not let wokeist folks decide for her.

By the way, it is true that the Amsterdamsch Studenten Corps is the biggest students' club, but there are a number of other major and old students' clubs like S.S.R.A. (Societas Studiosorum Reformatorum Amstelodamensis) established 1889 or the L.A.N.X. (Leonum Arida NutriX) established 1880. Princess Amalia's great-grandfather was a honorary member of this last students' club, by the way. (Picture).
Old 08-10-2022, 09:02 AM
Administrator

I don’t think it is ‘woke’ to find issue with representatives of this organisation mentioning -during a speech- that women are only good to serve as buckets for male reproductive cells and that all women are w####s. Neither do I think it is particulary woke to be appaled when representatives of this organisation hold a plea for ‘breaking women’s necks’ to put the male reproductive organ in it. Do you?

Obviously the princess is free to hang out in such an environment. Likewise people would be free to find that an undesirable environment and culture for a next head of state to be in. There is nothing woke about it. You were talking about dignity in relation to the skirt size of a Queen only two says ago. Where is the concern about dignity here?

Apparently the organization has a record number of applications this year, so these remarks must have served as a recruitment tool to some students and their parents.

—-
The King said in an interview of a much later date that he did not particulary like the atmosphere in the student society, despite having made some good friends there.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I don’t think it is ‘woke’ to find issue with representatives of this organisation mentioning...
Oh My, what you cite, sounds not only not good but rather sick too!

But - and there is a "but" - sounds the idea, that the boys want the girls only as guests at 'some' of their parties and otherwise rather gone, really strange?

These dudes are really aggressive and not inviting at all towards the girls...

In Germany we have very old student corporations as well and they are mostly 'men only'. They are about heavy drinking and some rituals mostly...

They are so-to-say a 'safe space' for boys with a longer enduring puberty...
Old 08-10-2022, 12:27 PM
Heir Apparent

And yet Amalia thinks German boys have "better manners". Does any of this play in, perhaps?
Old 08-10-2022, 12:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
And yet Amalia thinks German boys have "better manners". Does any of this play in, perhaps?
No, I don't think so. She made that observation as a teenager comparing the more courteous German boys with the less courteous Dutch ones and will have limited knowledge of German student life.

And those student societies, which might seem contradictory, do place importance on courteous behavior towards women - much more so than in general society. However, 'among each other' and in specific situations (such as initiation rites) there is little left of that façade.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I don’t think it is ‘woke’ to find issue with representatives of this organisation mentioning -during a speech- that women are only good to serve as buckets for male reproductive cells and that all women are w####s. Neither do I think it is particulary woke to be appaled when representatives of this organisation hold a plea for ‘breaking women’s necks’ to put the male reproductive organ in it. Do you?
Indeed!! Hear Hear Hear!!

As I am known to be an astute anti BS and CERTAINLY anti woke...it only goes to show how a specific member here calls
those opposing that trash club of snotnoses not knowing what to do with their external organ....and...one might add...
`where is it`.as little do they know....with many,so they brag over nothing.....

Or free after Mae West..No meat and no patatoes either ...
our future captains of industry and political leaders...
So much for looking forward to that incourant lot...

As a future Monarch,Amalia has no business nor desire to conform herself with this sort.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:52 PM
Majesty

An 'onion' type article claiming princess Amalia will become a member of the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club - showcasing how her decision at least is considered noteworthy enough to make satire about.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

It is a pity that clearly "typical" provocative words by some dudes are now seen as general for the whole students' club with thousands and thousands of members who do nothing wrong at all.

Cancel culture in optima forma.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is a pity that clearly "typical" provocative words by some dudes are now seen as general for the whole students' club with thousands and thousands of members who do nothing wrong at all.

Cancel culture in optima forma.
Did you watch the video? The fact that all the male students knew the expected answer and many (but not all) shouted it back to the speakers as well as that those 'dudes' (including the one responsible for changing the culture in this respect!) felt free to mention it and ask for this response at th gala dinner from the stage makes it clear that it is a cultural issue - as has been acknowledged by the Amsterdam Student Corps themselves!

And nobody is cancelling anyone other than the student union themselves who -at least temporarily- suspended these guys. And I for one am glad that Amalia (with more or less pressure) acknowledged that this is not the environment that she should get herself into as long as no significant changes have been made to make a real difference - instead of only lip service as was done so far (her father himself apparently acknowledged that he never liked the culture at Minerva; the Leiden Student Corps). Given how well Amalia looks into issues, I am sure she has read the letter written by the female members of the Corps who felt that change is needed; and I am quite sure they are better positioned to share what it is truly like within the Corps; and they've acknowledged it is NOT a good nor safe environment for women (and it teaches a wrong culture to men as well) - and they are desperate for change.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
A photocall for Princess Amalia on 5th September for the start of university.

"Amalia is going to study and can be photographed! My friends from the RVD are pleased to invite the entire national press for a photo opportunity. Monday 5 September in Amsterdam. Please note: asking questions to Princess Amalia is prohibited."

https://twitter.com/MennoSwart/statu...617216/photo/1
Quotes like this make me wonder, are we really in the 21st century? Does it really hurt to answer a few questions that will be pre-approved anyway?
Old 08-12-2022, 11:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

It remains free speech, the most stupide nonsense imagineable but nevertheless free speech. And it remains generalizing over all thousands of members of this students' club.

Plus: where is that dude's very own right to spout total and insulting nonsense indeed?

But never mind, the Oranges are becoming experts in the avoid, cancel and excuse culture anyway.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Quotes like this make me wonder, are we really in the 21st century? Does it really hurt to answer a few questions that will be pre-approved anyway?
The Dutch Royal House does not work with pre-approved questions and it will not stop any journalist to ask his/her own question anyway. Pre-approved or not.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:50 AM
Administrator

AFAIK the gentlemen who said and cheered this nonsense were not thrown in prison. Neither were they kicked out of university or even of this club. Three of them voluntarily resigned and that is that. That is hardly 'cancelling'.

Free speech doesn't mean that there are no consequences to what you say. And here the consequences have been very limited. To portray these young men as victims is beyond absurd. But it suits a particular and paranoid narrative I suppose.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
AFAIK the gentlemen who said and cheered this nonsense were not thrown in prison. Neither were they kicked out of university or even of this club. Three of them voluntarily resigned and that is that. That is hardly 'cancelling'.

Free speech doesn't mean that there are no consequences to what you say. And here the consequences have been very limited. To portray these young men as victims is beyond absurd. But it suits a particular and paranoid narrative I suppose.
Well, the Princess of Orange does not join the Corps, even when the disputed gentlemen voluntarily (well....) resigned, which is making the point. The Princess retreats from what she -by her own account- wished to do: to join the Corps.

In the meantime said Corps has never had so many applications for membership as exactly this year. This shows the gap between the ones seeing this "scandal" as just typical stupid drunken students' bragging and shrugging their shoulders and the others who see this as scandalous and worth canceling the whole phenomenon of a Corps.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
She doesn't have to do a photo call. And given the issues with the Corps, I totally understand that she isn't interested in making her start of university all about ASC/ASVV as is bound to happen if she would allow questions...