The Family of Queen Máxima - The Zorreguietas

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is even weirder: for her sisters they use 'C' to refer to Cerruti but for her the C refers to 'Carmen':

María del C de Zorreguieta (in full: María del Carmen Cerruti de Zorreguieta; so I would have expected María del Carmen C de Zorreguieta; that would have been consistent with the naming pattern for her sisters)
María Rita C de Azlor (in full: María Rita Cerruti de Azlor)
María Marcela C (in full: María Marcela Cerruti; princess Alexia was named after her)
María Cecilia C de Coronel (in full: María Cecilia Cerruti de Coronel)

It is even weirder: for her sisters they use 'C' to refer to Cerruti but for her the C refers to 'Carmen':

María del C de Zorreguieta (in full: María del Carmen Cerruti de Zorreguieta; so I would have expected María del Carmen C de Zorreguieta; that would have been consistent with the naming pattern for her sisters)
María Rita C de Azlor (in full: María Rita Cerruti de Azlor)
María Marcela C (in full: María Marcela Cerruti; princess Alexia was named after her)
María Cecilia C de Coronel (in full: María Cecilia Cerruti de Coronel)

Yes, that is inconsequent indeed.

Apparently Argentina has not the same policy as Spain: in Argentina married women can be addressed with their husband's surname.

There is a new unauthorized biography on the Spanish-speaking market: Máxima. La construccíon de una reina by Rodolfo Vera Calderón and María Paula Galloni:

https://books.apple.com/nl/book/máxima-la-construcción-de-una-reina/id1564342588

The authors review -in detail- the life of Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti before her marriage, including her studies at the select Northlands College in Buenos Aires and her links in haute société, her university studies in Argentina. The authors conclude that Máxima's personal and professional career has always been carefully planned to move forward in social circles.

Máxima's father, Jorge Zorreguieta Stefanini, paid for her housing, studies and "socially desirable necessities" (like a subscription to the Opera in Buenos Aires, the place to mingle with the who-is-who) but refused to bear the cost of her (apparently costly) outings, which was why Máxima started to give private lessons to children.

According the authors Máxima's first fiancé was Federico de Álzaga whom owns Arcano, a jewelry and horloge atelier in Buenos Aires. Queen Máxima is seen in items from Arcano: gold earrings, necklace, bracelet and ring from Arcano: https://artear-tn-prod.cdn.arcpubli...aws.com/public/3OGGERTJZ6OW4ZG3UM4OVW2VTA.jpg.

After a first job with Mercado Abierto S.A., Máxima continued her career at Boston Securities in Buenos Aires where she was in charge of the sale of shares and government bonds. Following the devaluation of the national currency, Máxima understood that her professional future was in New York, a financial center. The relationship with Federico de Álzaga came to an end when the young man refused to leave Argentina, joining Máxima.

When Máxima arrived in Manhattan, she could count on her formidable network to find housing. Her friend Raúl Sánchez-Elia, then married to Lucrecia Botin (from a wealthy Spanish banking family) opened the doors to the most elegant parties in the sumptuous mansions of the Hamptons.

Máxima started to work with Credit Suisse and shared a flat with two other young women in an apartment in Chelsea, New York. It was in the summer of 1996 that she began a sentimental relationship with Orlando Muyshondt, a banker from a wealthy Belgian/El Salvadorian family, but the young man's parents quickly vetoed them, believing that Máxima was not "the woman he needs".

Máxima continued her professional ascent and every new step was one higher. She left Credit Suisse to take on the role of Vice President of Institutional Sales for South America at HSBC James Capel and then at Desdner Kleinwort Benson where she trained in microcredits as Vice President of Emerging Markets.

In 1999, Máxima joined Deutsche Bank in New York. According the authors she briefly saw a young British nobleman. In the spring of 1999, she received an invitation to go and spend a few days at the Feria in Seville in the most exclusive casetas (sort of pavillions) there.

Cynthia Kaufmann, a former classmate from Northlands, initiated this invitation. In first instance Máxima declined because she was unable to leave Manhattan and this sudden getaway to Europe was a firm blow to her finances, but her friend urged her to come and made the offer to pay her expenses. The authors claim that Cynthia Kaufmann would have informed Máxima of the presence of two good parties: the Prince of Orange and the Crown Prince of Denmark :)huh:).

This is how Máxima met the future King of the Netherlands, whom she married on February 2, 2002 after a very heated controversy over her family's past under the dictatorship. In the meantime, Queen Beatrix entrusted a close friend Ottoline Antoinette Gaarlandt-van Voorst van Beest (one of her Hofdames) with the task of preparing Máxima for her future within the royal family. By the time of the engagement announcement in the spring of 2001, Máxima was on top of her game and surprised everyone with her ability in Dutch language which allowed her to quickly win the hearts of her future compatriots.

Last edited:
The authors claim that Cynthia Kaufmann would have informed Máxima of the presence of two good parties: the Prince of Orange and the Crown Prince of Denmark :)huh:).

This is interesting. But was Prince Frederik also at the Feria in Seville?

No idea, this would mean Prince Frederik knows Máxima as long as King Willem-Alexander. All I know is that they met in the caseta of the Real Club de Andalucía / "El Aero".

Un Club de recreo, que sin duda en la actualidad es uno de los más exclusivos y distinguidos de España.

S. M. El Rey Alfonso XIII, S. M. El Rey Felipe VI, S. M. El Rey Guillermo-Alejandro de los Países Bajos, El Principe de Ligne y El Archiduque Karl de Austria entre otras personalidades son o han sido sus socios de Honor, y siete Alcaldes de Sevilla entre otras muchas personalidades han sido socios de número.

Last edited:
There is a new unauthorized biography on the Spanish-speaking market: Máxima. La construccíon de una reina by Rodolfo Vera Calderón and María Paula Galloni:

https://books.apple.com/nl/book/máxima-la-construcción-de-una-reina/id1564342588

The authors review -in detail- the life of Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti before her marriage, including her studies at the select Northlands College in Buenos Aires and her links in haute société, her university studies in Argentina. The authors conclude that Máxima's personal and professional career has always been carefully planned to move forward in social circles.

Máxima's father, Jorge Zorreguieta Stefanini, paid for her housing, studies and "socially desirable necessities" (like a subscription to the Opera in Buenos Aires, the place to mingle with the who-is-who) but refused to bear the cost of her (apparently costly) outings, which was why Máxima started to give private lessons to children.

According the authors Máxima's first fiancé was Federico de Álzaga whom owns Arcano, a jewelry and horloge atelier in Buenos Aires. Queen Máxima is seen in items from Arcano: gold earrings, necklace, bracelet and ring from Arcano: https://artear-tn-prod.cdn.arcpubli...aws.com/public/3OGGERTJZ6OW4ZG3UM4OVW2VTA.jpg.

After a first job with Mercado Abierto S.A., Máxima continued her career at Boston Securities in Buenos Aires where she was in charge of the sale of shares and government bonds. Following the devaluation of the national currency, Máxima understood that her professional future was in New York, a financial center. The relationship with Federico de Álzaga came to an end when the young man refused to leave Argentina, joining Máxima.

When Máxima arrived in Manhattan, she could count on her formidable network to find housing. Her friend Raúl Sánchez-Elia, then married to Lucrecia Botin (from a wealthy Spanish banking family) opened the doors to the most elegant parties in the sumptuous mansions of the Hamptons.

Máxima started to work with Credit Suisse and shared a flat with two other young women in an apartment in Chelsea, New York. It was in the summer of 1996 that she began a sentimental relationship with Orlando Muyshondt, a banker from a wealthy Belgian/El Salvadorian family, but the young man's parents quickly vetoed them, believing that Máxima was not "the woman he needs".

Máxima continued her professional ascent and every new step was one higher. She left Credit Suisse to take on the role of Vice President of Institutional Sales for South America at HSBC James Capel and then at Desdner Kleinwort Benson where she trained in microcredits as Vice President of Emerging Markets.

In 1999, Máxima joined Deutsche Bank in New York. According the authors she briefly saw a young British nobleman. In the spring of 1999, she received an invitation to go and spend a few days at the Feria in Seville in the most exclusive casetas (sort of pavillions) there.

Cynthia Kaufmann, a former classmate from Northlands, initiated this invitation. In first instance Máxima declined because she was unable to leave Manhattan and this sudden getaway to Europe was a firm blow to her finances, but her friend urged her to come and made the offer to pay her expenses. The authors claim that Cynthia Kaufmann would have informed Máxima of the presence of two good parties: the Prince of Orange and the Crown Prince of Denmark :)huh:).

This is how Máxima met the future King of the Netherlands, whom she married on February 2, 2002 after a very heated controversy over her family's past under the dictatorship. In the meantime, Queen Beatrix entrusted a close friend Ottoline Antoinette Gaarlandt-van Voorst van Beest (one of her Hofdames) with the task of preparing Máxima for her future within the royal family. By the time of the engagement announcement in the spring of 2001, Máxima was on top of her game and surprised everyone with her ability in Dutch language which allowed her to quickly win the hearts of her future compatriots.

She is a very ambitious woman, Maxima received excellent education and she had worked hard. I don't' see that there is anything wrong with that.

Interesting summary of the Argentinian book, thanks for that. Most is new to me as her love life before WA was a well-kept secret. I am not sure how serious the reporters are & how much value we can attach to their stories. How do they know what happened in a private conversation between Máxima and Cynthia Kaufmann for example. It is not likely eithe rof the two spoke to the authors.

It seems Mr. Calderon is working for Hola! Argentina, not a very serious magazine one would say. At least it is not pretending to be anything other than a gossip-book perhaps.

As for the Danish crown prince: didn't Máxima say that when they visited Sevilla to celebrate the 20th anniversary of their meeting they invited the people that were with them that night. The crown prince of Denmark was not at the anniversary - at least it does not confirm the story.

I don't think the rather more serious economist/journalist/presenter/diplomat (multi-talent? ;)) Marcia Luyten has paid much attention to this part of Máxima's life in the new biography 'Moederland'. But I have not seen any news items about that book, apart from it beeing released, so it must contain little new. It seems Luyten studies the Argentinian background more in terms of history, politics and class. I can't imagine her descending from the Mount Olympus to share some gossips with her readers.

The Argentinian book is ironic as the NOS announced a programme with Dionne Stax where Stax will research how 'an average girl from Argentina' could go into the most popular member of the RF. I saw lots of jokes on twitter about that headline, and the summary of the book confirms that once again.

https://www.avrotros.nl/over-avrotr...tax-reist-door-het-leven-van-koningin-maxima/

Last edited:
Given that among the wives of the 7 Dutch (i.e., Orange-Nassau) princes there were 3 daughters of ministers; I'd say, we can safely say that few 'average girls' marry into the royal family.

Last edited:
I'd be very surprised if he had the time. He had a busy week with engagements such as the School Olympics, a training camp for kids to prepare for the Royal run, an awards ceremony, an annual celebratory gala at the University of Aarhus and the funeral of the three children of a close friend who had been killed in a terrorist attack in Sri Lanka.

I'd be very surprised if he had the time. He had a busy week with engagements such as the School Olympics, a training camp for kids to prepare for the Royal run, an awards ceremony, an annual celebratory gala at the University of Aarhus and the funeral of the three children of a close friend who had been killed in a terrorist attack in Sri Lanka.

Wasn't that terrorist attack much more recently? Instead of in 1999? Or were you thinking about them celebrating the Feria 20 years after they met there? Frederik clearly wasn't with them at that time.

I am pretty sure that Blog Real was talking about their original meeting in 1999 that according to at least one source also (was supposed to) include(d) Frederik.

Wasn't that terrorist attack much more recently? Instead of in 1999? Or were you thinking about them celebrating the Feria 20 years after they met there? Frederik clearly wasn't with them at that time.

I am pretty sure that Blog Real was talking about their original meeting in 1999 that according to at least one source also (was supposed to) include(d) Frederik.
I was talking about 2019. I thought the question was if he was present in Sevilla during the couple's 20th anniversary.

I was talking about 2019. I thought the question was if he was present in Sevilla during the couple's 20th anniversary.

The Feria was from 18 until 25 April 1999. The authors claim the place to be was the caseta of "Club Aero" where Prince Willem-Alexander and Prince Frederik were guests of the Sevillan high society assembled in there.

The Feria was from 18 until 25 April 1999. The authors claim the place to be was the caseta of "Club Aero" where Prince Willem-Alexander and Prince Frederik were guests of the Sevillan high society assembled in there.

Well, Frederick was in Sevilla for the world championship.

Well, Frederick was in Sevilla for the world championship.

The Athletics World Championships 1999 was in Sevilla indeed, but held in August, not in April. It is not impossible that Frederik, like Felipe, Willem-Alexander, Pavlos of Greece, Karl of Austria etc. has been guest of the "Club Aero".

We would never ever have known either that Willem-Alexander was in Sevilla, was it not that he had an encounter with Máxima there.

Once Queen Beatrix felt ill on the yacht of Alfred Heineken (yes, from the beer) and had to be carried into an ambulance in the port of Antibes. No one knew the Queen was in the Provence at all, not even the Cabinet. (The security officers thought it was not necessary to inform "such details" to the Cabinet). And no one would have known it ever, had the Queen not fallen ill.

Morale: royals make trips without one even knowing.

Last edited:
The Athletics World Championships 1999 was in Sevilla indeed, but held in August, not in April. It is not impossible that Frederik, like Felipe, Willem-Alexander, Pavlos of Greece, Karl of Austria etc. has been guest of the "Club Aero".

We would never ever have known either that Willem-Alexander was in Sevilla, was it not that he had an encounter with Máxima there.

Once Queen Beatrix felt ill on the yacht of Alfred Heineken (yes, from the beer) and had to be carried into an ambulance in the port of Antibes. No one knew the Queen was in the Provence at all, not even the Cabinet. (The security officers thought it was not necessary to inform "such details" to the Cabinet). And no one would have known it ever, had the Queen not fallen ill.

Morale: royals make trips without one even knowing.

Correct, sorry, I thought both was in August and am more familar with DRF.

Correct, sorry, I thought both was in August and am more familar with DRF.

In the thread about the sisters of the late Prince Philip, there is a picture of young Willem-Alexander, young Frederik and Margareta of Romania being guest aboard the Brittannia.

See: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=302532&d=1618726331

No one ever knew they were at the Brittannia, so an equal surprise of Frederik plus Willem-Alexander at the same time in Sevilla is not impossible.

Last edited:
Such a pity Mrs.Zorreguieta can't be with her daughter Maxima today to celebrate her 50th birthday.Due to Covid restrictions she is not allowed to leave Argentina.

Was the British nobleman David Anness?
The only pre-Willem-Alexander romantic interest that was publicized was Dieter Zimmerman

Dieter Zimmermann looks like a friend but not a romantic one.

According the authors Máxima's first fiancé was Federico de Álzaga, from one of the most wealthy Argentine families. Frederico owns Arcano, a jewelry and horloge firm in Buenos Aires. Queen Máxima is seen in items from Arcano: gold earrings, necklace, bracelet and ring from Arcano:
https://artear-tn-prod.cdn.arcpublis...UM4OVW2VTA.jpg.

Frederico de Álzaga in younger years:
https://aracano.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/edc81791f062c9778073da2ed05a1c2e-239x330.jpg

Frederico de Álzaga now:
https://i.pinimg.com/280x280_RS/fd/ef/ee/fdefee5f44df6726b827f5fb06d5ffa5.jpg

Was the British nobleman David Anness?
The only pre-Willem-Alexander romantic interest that was publicized was Dieter Zimmerman

Anness? There is no nobility to that family according thepeerage.com.
No idea. It is also possible the authors spicied things up: Máxima only dating certain gentlemen.

Did anyone already read 'Máxima Zorreguieta - Moederland'. It sounds as if that might give a rather accurate insight in to her years until she met her prince. While the queen said that she would never read the book as she wasn't interested in/uncomfortable reading about herself as she already lived that life, she authorized (or at least 'allowed') people close to her to talk to the author.

The author, Marcia Luyten, is currently working on a second volume 'Vaderland' - about her years after she met her prince.

The only royal books I have read are the two books on Wilhelmina by Cees Fasseur, on Juliana by Jolande Withuis and the Koningsbiografieën, the trilogy on Willem I, Willem II and Willem III. All these books are build on extensive sources which are listed in a register. The current wave of Máxima books looks a bit of summer beach lecture to me.

Did anyone already read 'Máxima Zorreguieta - Moederland'. It sounds as if that might give a rather accurate insight in to her years until she met her prince. While the queen said that she would never read the book as she wasn't interested in/uncomfortable reading about herself as she already lived that life, she authorized (or at least 'allowed') people close to her to talk to the author.

The author, Marcia Luyten, is currently working on a second volume 'Vaderland' - about her years after she met her prince.
Did she really give permission for her friends and associates to talk to the author? That strikes me as a rather odd thing to do. So the book is really an authorized biography then- one the Queen might as well have proof read to ensure accuracy of the information.

Did she really give permission for her friends and associates to talk to the author? That strikes me as a rather odd thing to do. So the book is really an authorized biography then- one the Queen might as well have proof read to ensure accuracy of the information.

That is my doubt too. I very much doubt Máxima would have "authorized" anything for that book.

That is my doubt too. I very much doubt Máxima would have "authorized" anything for that book.

According to her recent interview she did not authorize the book in that sense (that was probably the wrong word on my part) nor read it it advance (and isn't planning to read it now it's published either) but she did allow people close to her to talk to the author.

I think even "allow" is a too big word. My guess is: via her network Queen Máxima knew someone with the name Marcia Luijten was apparently trying to make contacts with family, friends, former colleagues, former shoolmates, etc.

So Queen Máxima was aware. More or less in the sense of her brothers Martín and Juan texting her: "Hey sister, there is someone from the Netherlands approaching us for a book ? Is this serious ?"

Last edited:
According to the above mentioned book Máxima's two brothers are both divorced. It was known for Martin but I had not read anything about Juan who only married in 2014. Has anyone seen this confirmed elsewhere?

N.B. Not really an anomaly in the family as Máxima's father divorced his first wife before he married Máxima's mother in secret in Paraguay (because it wasn't allowed in Argentina, so according to Argentinian law they weren't married). And her paternal great-grandmother was left by her husband when her grandfather was still very young.

Last edited:
I think even "allow" is a too big word. My guess is: via her network Queen Máxima knew someone with the name Marcia Luijten was apparently trying to make contacts with family, friends, former colleagues, former shoolmates, etc.

So Queen Máxima was aware. More or less in the sense of her brothers Martín and Juan texting her: "Hey sister, there is someone from the Netherlands approaching us for a book ? Is this serious ?"

Got the book last week. The RVD explicitly gave permission to talk to anyone who would be willing to talk to the author except for members of the royal house.

The author explains it quite extensively in her book. She writes that she was approached by the publisher but initially wasn't interested as she had never had any interest in the royal family. In addition, she feared that she wouldn't have access to primary sources, so told them that she wouldn't do it. The publisher kept pushing and asked whether she would reconsider if it would be possible to talk to people close to Máxima.

The RVD was asked whether that would be possible. After 6 months they stated there was no objection to the book. The author would be free to interview family members, friends, former co-students and colleagues as far as they themselves would be open to it. There were 2 rules the author (and publisher) had to abide by:
1. The author would be completely free to talk to whomever she wanted.
2. The book would not be authorized, meaning that she could not talk to members of the Royal House (as they are under 'ministerial responsibility' which would require authorization); also meaning the book would not be read/screened by the RVD or royal court before publishing.

In her reflections, she explained that people that she ended up talking to were, understandably, rather careful in what they said because of their loyalty to their family member/friend/colleague/boss. In general, people in Argentina were more willing to talk than those in the Netherlands. The author thinks that is because those bonds are strong and really hard to break; and in addition it talks mostly about the 'past'. For those in the Netherlands, being connected to the royal couple is a batch of honor/something prestigious that they don't want to loose.

She interviewed 132 people (for both books; 89 interviews were used for the first book), including her closest friends and family members, but all on the basis of confidentiality. Throughout the book she uses footnotes to indicate which information was acquired via interview. The name of the interviewee is known to/registered by the publisher but not included in the book.

Last edited:
According to the above mentioned book Máxima's two brothers are both divorced. It was known for Martin but I had not read anything about Juan who only married in 2014. Has anyone seen this confirmed elsewhere?

N.B. Not really an anomaly in the family as Máxima's father divorced his first wife before he married Máxima's mother in secret in Uruguay (because it wasn't allowed in Argentina, so according to Argentinian law they weren't married). And her paternal great-grandmother was left by her husband when her grandfather was still very young.

Wikipedia says so.

Back
Top Bottom