The Family of Queen Máxima - The Zorreguietas

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many sibling does Maxima have? are all of them live in Argentine?

She has two younger brothers, Juan (restaurant owner) and Martin (worked in a consultancy firm/ studying in Austria), and a younger sister Ines. From her fathers first marriage to Marta Lopes Gil (a philosophy teacher) she has 3 halfsisters: Maria (economist), Angeles (micro-biologist, lives in the UK) and Dolores (artist, lives in NYC).

La vida oculta de la familia de Mxima Zorreguieta - ABC.es

Isn't Martin a restaurant owner?

Last edited:
I've long found Maxima's heritage and background extremely interesting.

Does anyone know what sort of incomes Jorge Zorreguieta derived from positions such as Secretary of La Sociedad Rural Argentina, President of the Centro Argentino Azucarero, or Chairman of COPAL?

At the time of Maxima's marriage, Jorge was widely described as a wealthy landowner. I had always assumed that his income came largely from farming or ranching, and his political and other activities didn't stem from any great financial need. However, reading more in-depth articles on the Zorreguietas (most translated from Dutch or Spanish) indicates that he has never been a landowner (unlike his first wife, Marta Lopez Gil). Sources on Maxima's childhood describe her family as living in an affluent neighborhood, but in a comparatively modest home, and of having to manage very carefully. Maxima had many much richer classmates at the exclusive Northwoods school.

But even if money was somewhat tight, it seems Jorge's various positions yielded a larger income than I would have thought. Would that rural society or that sugar producers association have paid their administrators so much? The only income I've seen listed definitively for him is his pittance of a minister's pension, which was of course discontinued.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's ideas. Thanks.

Also I thought, that the family is a very rich landowner family, and I read a few days ago, that they are a simple middle-class family, lives in an appartmant-house on the 3 or 4 etage with neighbors. Compared with the European standard of living the Argentine middle-class is poorer, that an European middle-class family, so even for example the family of Mette-Marit has more wealth as the Zorreguietas. I am surprised, because I thought that a minister earn more money... Even in Argentina as well.

Also I thought, that the family is a very rich landowner family, and I read a few days ago, that they are a simple middle-class family, lives in an appartmant-house on the 3 or 4 etage with neighbors. Compared with the European standard of living the Argentine middle-class is poorer, that an European middle-class family, so even for example the family of Mette-Marit has more wealth as the Zorreguietas. I am surprised, because I thought that a minister earn more money... Even in Argentina as well.

The area were is located the apartments where the parents of Maxima live is a very affluent and expenisve, and of course in a normal apartment building you always have neighbours, they live in the heart of the city were is all aparments and no houses. but they are all the same as you more or less with money o be able to afford an apartment there.. and certenly I do not think the Argentinean middle class is poor than the European one! actually the middle class in Argentina that have houses have bigger homes than the European. and I can say that because I lived 20 years in Argentina and 10 en Europe.

The area were is located the apartments where the parents of Maxima live is a very affluent and expenisve, and of course in a normal apartment building you always have neighbours, they live in the heart of the city were is all aparments and no houses. but they are all the same as you more or less with money o be able to afford an apartment there.. and certenly I do not think the Argentinean middle class is poor than the European one! actually the middle class in Argentina that have houses have bigger homes than the European. and I can say that because I lived 20 years in Argentina and 10 en Europe.

Spot on Ashelen!!Ricoleta is not your every day middle class neighbourhood,and indeed the dwellings many have are far from uncle Toms hut in an average middle class neighbourhood...:flowers:

Thanks for the answers. I don't know the argentinian society, only I thought that this family is very rich or that they have a higher standard of living (I read such informations when WA&M were engaged). I mean that maybe they have more appartments (I thought that the appartment in NY, where Maxima lived, was owned by the Zorreguieta family), summerhouse on the beach, house on the country, skicabin in the mountains, personnel, expensive foreign educations, cars etc. And I am now surprised, that they have only one flat in the city...
It doesn't seem to be a very expensive and elegant district:
http://www.picturedesk.com/bild-dis...searchID=50315750-1411-4a95-8cbf-310e63e10916

Does anybody know that the family did spend only Maxima in such good schools, or the other siblings got also very good educations?

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers. I don't know the argentinian society, only I thought that this family is very rich or that they have a higher standard of living (I read such informations when WA&M were engaged). I mean that maybe they have more appartments (I thought that the appartment in NY, where Maxima lived, was owned by the Zorreguieta family), summerhouse on the beach, house on the country, skicabin in the mountains, personnel, expensive foreign educations, cars etc. And I am now surprised, that they have only one flat in the city...
It doesn't seem to be a very expensive and elegant district:
APA-PictureDesk

Does anybody know that the family did spend only Maxima in such good schools, or the other siblings got also very good educations?

Please,Let me tell you that this apartments can be inside as big as 300 m2 and even it is an apartment , this will have the maid quarters, it is a very common thing in Argentina to have a maid leaving in the home from Monday to Friday or even Saturday. and this is the middle class in Argentina, not the rich one! The rich one has more than one.

Regarding the private schools, you have two types of schools the religion one and the non religion, the last one is more expensive that the religion ones. Maxima was going to religion school a Catholic one, I imagine that her sister went their but not her brother because this is a girls school, so the brother may be went to another Catholic school for boys.

I believe the family had money but not super rich, the father had to support 6 kids, so I guess was not easy. Religious school can give you grants and may be they didn't pay for all the kids, specially if in the case of Maxima we all agree she is very intelligent, she may be was there with a grant.

My brother was in a Catholic school in high school but as my mother was a widow arrive to a point when he was 14 years old she could not pay for the school anymore, she told the priest-director of the school that she was going to take him out and sending him to public school, but the priest allow my brother to be there for free until he graduated because he is extremely intelligent and the priest wanted kids like my brother to represent the school, we are not even catholic we are Danish Lutheran but it is important for schools to have kids that excel so you can be fortunate to study in the best schools without having to be rich.

I understand her father's first wife had money, not him, so may be one of the kids got a grant in the school, who knows, ..... in the other hand Maxima studied in the Catholic University which is private and quite expensive and it is consider better in Argentina a degree coming from Public University than private, the believes is that in public University you earn the degree in private you buy the degree.

I believe Maxima is a very intelligent woman and I would not be surprise if she got some grants along her way.

I apologize in advance if I had been a little confusing in my writing!:flowers:

Please,Let me tell you that this apartments can be inside as big as 300 m2 and even it is an apartment , this will have the maid quarters, it is a very common thing in Argentina to have a maid leaving in the home from Monday to Friday or even Saturday. and this is the middle class in Argentina, not the rich one! The rich one has more than one.

Regarding the private schools, you have two types of schools the religion one and the non religion, the last one is more expensive that the religion ones. Maxima was going to religion school a Catholic one, I imagine that her sister went their but not her brother because this is a girls school, so the brother may be went to another Catholic school for boys.

I believe the family had money but not super rich, the father had to support 6 kids, so I guess was not easy. Religious school can give you grants and may be they didn't pay for all the kids, specially if in the case of Maxima we all agree she is very intelligent, she may be was there with a grant.

My brother was in a Catholic school in high school but as my mother was a widow arrive to a point when he was 14 years old she could not pay for the school anymore, she told the priest-director of the school that she was going to take him out and sending him to public school, but the priest allow my brother to be there for free until he graduated because he is extremely intelligent and the priest wanted kids like my brother to represent the school, we are not even catholic we are Danish Lutheran but it is important for schools to have kids that excel so you can be fortunate to study in the best schools without having to be rich.

I understand her father's first wife had money, not him, so may be one of the kids got a grant in the school, who knows, ..... in the other hand Maxima studied in the Catholic University which is private and quite expensive and it is consider better in Argentina a degree coming from Public University than private, the believes is that in public University you earn the degree in private you buy the degree.

I believe Maxima is a very intelligent woman and I would not be surprise if she got some grants along her way.

I apologize in advance if I had been a little confusing in my writing!:flowers:

Thank you for your answers! It is better to read informations from people who have own experiences, than from people who have only ideas about topics.
Yes, we can say, that Maxima is a very intelligent woman, a perfect person for her position, the Dutch people can be very proud, that they have such a clever and beautiful Queen!
Thanks for the informations, Ashelen! :flowers:

Thank you for your answers! It is better to read informations from people who have own experiences, than from people who have only ideas about topics.
Yes, we can say, that Maxima is a very intelligent woman, a perfect person for her position, the Dutch people can be very proud, that they have such a clever and beautiful Queen!
Thanks for the informations, Ashelen! :flowers:

you are welcome.:flowers:
It is some articles in Argentinean magazines about Maxima and her family , if I found it I will translate it and put it here.
Unfortunately we can all expeculate about someone but that doesn't mean we have the truth.
Her family wasn't super rich but it is people that were drive by education, and some class, and good relation with people with influence.
About Maxima I take my hat off for her. She is a ery intelligent woman, I actually think she is even more intelligent that W-A , she knew what she wanted, and she went for it, she has a lot of determination and drive! and I know many women that has the same but they didn't get to conquer what they want and Maxima did!:flowers:

The German magazine Bunte writes about a possible marriage of Juan Zorreguieta, the youngest brother of Queen Máxima, and a certain Andrea C. Wolff.

Juan Zorreguieta works as an analyst in Vienna, Austria. Miss Andrea C. Wolff works for the Hanns-Seidel Foundation, a recruitment and training centre for christian-democratic politics and politicians in Latin-America, linked to the German ruling christian-democrat party of Angela Merkel. Miss Wolf has worked at the Argentinean office of the Hanns-Seidel Foundation, which is based in the historic neighbourhood La Recoleta. The Zorreguieta family lives in that neighbourhood. Juan and Andrea apparently have met each other during a conference. It is written that the couple married today in Vienna, where Juan lives. A religious service will be organized, later in the year. The three royal nieces would act as flowergirls for their young uncle (31).

The German magazine Bunte bases its claims on the Dutch magazine Weekend. The editor-in-chief of that magazine bases this information on "a reliable source".

Bunte: Königin Máxima: Hat ihr Bruder schon längst geheiratet? | BUNTE.de

Picture with Máxima's brother:

Seated:
The Prince of Orange
Princess Catharina-Amalia
Princess Máxima
Princess Alexia

Standing - the godparents
Jonkheer Frans de Beaufort
Prince Friso of the Netherlands
Princess Mathilde of Belgium
Juan Zorreguieta
Jonkvrouw Alexandra Jankovich de Jeszenice

Pic from koninklijkhuis.nl:
http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/foto-e...nje/doop-prinses-alexia-19-november-2005-5648

Last edited:
Last edited:
wow, i'm speechless... that gown and that cape are breathtaking!

lovely to see beatrix. it just shows how close she is to maxima that she attends her brother´s wedding...

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole wedding was quite chique, all ladies in long gowns, all gentlemen in jaquet. This was a serious affair. The Servitenkirche Mariae Verkündigung (The Annunciation of Mary) is really one of the jewels of Austrian Early Baroque. A fantastic location for a wedding.

I am surprised by the wedding. The ladies and gentlemen were better and more elaborately dressed than for some real royal weddings. It is surprising that an unknown Juan and an unknown Andrea have all their international guests flying to Vienna, have the Gartenpalais Liechtenstein as location, it is all pretty prestigious.

Yes. The Princess of Orange, Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane. It seems grandpa Jorge, grandma María del Carmen, uncle Andrés, uncle Juan and aunt Inès are very important for the girls.

Uncle Andrés is godfather to Amalia.
Uncle Juan is godfather to Alexia.
Aunt Inès is godmother to Ariane.

It all looks like a close-knit family and Princess Beatrix is feeling close too, so to see....

What language do Juan and Andrea speak to each other? Does Juan speak German?

What language do Juan and Andrea speak to each other? Does Juan speak German?

Juan works as a business analyst in Vienna, so he will speak German. Andrea has worked for the Hanns-Seidel Foundation in various Latin-American countries, so she will speak Spanish. The Argentina office of the Hanns-Seidel Foundation is in La Recoleta, Buenos Aires. The same area where the Zorreguietas live.

:flowers:

more info on juan and andrea's relationship from perfil.

Juan Zorreguieta, el hermano de Máxima, se casó ayer en Viena

apparently, juan and andrea met, as previously described by other poster, in buenos aires, whilst she was working there. andrea's parents also lived there apparently. maxima flew to vienna after the D day celebrations and during the visit she visited the imperial palace with her daughters, while WA visited a clothes shop. the austrian government didn't put additional security for WA and maxima, as this was a private affaire. a tango was played during the wedding ("Por una cabeza") just as it happened in maxima's and the bride's brother did a speech on how juan and andrea met each other that had all the guests laughing :)

I am surprised by the wedding. The ladies and gentlemen were better and more elaborately dressed than for some real royal weddings. It is surprising that an unknown Juan and an unknown Andrea have all their international guests flying to Vienna, have the Gartenpalais Liechtenstein as location, it is all pretty prestigious.
May be sister Maxima, foot the bill?

May be sister Maxima, foot the bill?

I can not imagine that. Maybe her formidable network helped to get the beautiful Gartenpalais Liechtenstein for the banquet (in New York Máxima was asked by a Prince von und zu Liechtenstein, whom was also working in the haute finance, to be his guest at the Feria de Abril in Sevilla. There she would meet a certain blonde guy from the Netherlands...).

But all guests from outside Austria had to fly to Vienna, had to pay for accomodation, transportation, had to purchase long gowns, jacquets, etc. I can not imagine that the Queen pays for Juan's former Argentine classmates or for Andreas international colleagues. La Reina will pay. No way. Juan Zorrreguieta and Andrea Wolf are well-to-do, that is obvious.

Naked shoulder of the bride in the church ? How cheapness !:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom