The 18th Birthday of Princess Catharina-Amalia, Princess of Orange - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Eighteenth Birthday of
Princess Catharina-Amalia of The Netherlands, Princess of Orange

attachment.php

7 December, 2021

**​

Last edited:
Claudia de Breij, who is writing a book about/with the princess, has talked about this project & shared the cover of the book:

https://www.rtlboulevard.nl/video/o...licht-tipje-van-de-sluier-op-over-boek-amalia

https://www.story.nl/artikel/showbi...=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1636041887

De Breij says that Amalia is 'a wonderful person'. She claims her book has the feel of 'a road movie', where a teenager tells a person in her 40ties how she sees the world.

To get to know her they have talked a lot and did a lot of things together: they went to the horses, to the beach, to the stables and to the palace. 'I had the feeling I could ask everything'. They even sat behind the piano together.

--
Broadcaster Net5 will show a documentary about the princess, called: 'Princess Amalia, teenager on her way to the throne'. It will be broadcasted on december 6th at 20.30. The makers claim they have interviewed people 'who are close to her'.

NB. I doubt any member of the RF has participated in this documentary, as it is on the commercial channel.

On December 8th - a day after her birthday- the princess will be installed in the Counsil of State (Raad van State). The princess will be accompanied by the king. Her mother will also be present. The ceremony will take place in the ball room of Kneuterdijk palace.

Speeches will be made by the princess of Orange, by the chairman of the counsil (the King) and by the vice-chairman, Mr. Thom de Graaf.

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/actue...n-oranje-wordt-binnengeleid-in-raad-van-state

---

The ceremony will I assume be as minimal as it was in 1985:

At the time Princess Juliana was not present. I assume Princess Beatrix will not be attending this ceremony either.

For the 18th birthday of Princess Beatrix there was a ball organised in Dam Palace. But this was not repeated in 1985 or now.

Last edited:
The ballroom of the former city palace of King Willem II is no shabby alternative location for the Council to welcome the Princess of Orange:

picture

The Raad van State was established in 1531, by Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, King of Spain, Duke of Burgundy (and so Lord of the Netherlands, roughly today's Benelux).

Together with the Staten-Generaal (today's Parliament), established in 1464, the Raad van State is amongst the eldest still existing High Colleges of State.

Last edited:
When Princess Beatrix turned 18, were there any official photographs taken?

I don't know but while looking for it, I found this wonderful piece (it's in Dutch but I am sure Google translate will help out) by Beatrix' grandmother former queen Wilhelmina who described her feelings about attending a dinner held in honor of Beatrix' 18th birthday, describing how it would be her final gala dinner wearing a diadem and how it brought back memories of her 18th birthday, which in her case meant she became the rightful queen (until that moment her mother had taken on the responsibilities as regent of the minor queen) - and, as she reflects, in doing so, she was the only one in her family for whom that 18th birthday truly made the difference. She was happy that her granddaughter didn't face that same fate.

When Princess Beatrix turned 18, were there any official photographs taken?

I am sure there must have been an official portrait. I can however only find a series from 1957, a year later.

Portrait in gown.
Portrait with pen.
Seated portrait.
Family photo.

There was no official portrait with a tiara for years AFAIK. But wouldn't it be lovely to get a photo of the princess of Orange, wearing her grand mother's and great grand mother's diamond roses - like Beatrix on the first photo.

There was this -IMO remarkable - photo on Dam palace: Wilhelmina, Juliana and Beatrix. You will find some variations online, some of them will have the people on the background edited out.

Counsil of State with Beatrix, Bernhard and Juliana.

On the birthday itself the Princess and her parents received various dignitaries in Soestdijk palace.

During 1956 Beatrix was installed as patroness of several causes, among them the Princess Beatrix Fund. A fund dedicated to help children with polio and later dedicated to people with muscular diseases.

Last edited:
The last binnengeleiding (giving entrance) to a member of the Royal House was on October 20th 2004, when Princess Máxima was given a seat in the Council.

The President (Queen Beatrix) gave the word to the Vice-President (Mr Herman-Diederik Tjeenk Willink, also one of the godparents of Princess Catharina-Amalia):

"
[...]

Your Royal Highness,

By becoming a member of the Raad van State, You are in a tradition that started in the distant past, still before our country existed as an independent nation. It was in this very Council, on New Year's Eve 1564, when Willem of Nassau, Prince of Orange gave his first major speech in which he made a plea for freedom of conscience, a condition for the existence of the later Republic.

To quote the Prince: ”The King (Philip II) goes astray when he thinks that the Netherlands, in the midst of countries in which religious freedom have always existed, can bear these bloody placards. No matter how much I love the Catholic Faith I am attached to, I cannot approve that princes want to rule over the conscience of their subjects and deprive them of their freedom of religion”.

The Prince of Orange pronounced these words, not as moral knight, but as a sober politician whom realized that without freedom of conscience and religion the Low Countries (today's Netherlands and Belgium) would fall apart. King Philip II found that hard to believe. Four years later, the gap in society was unbridgeable and the Eighty Years' War began.

To continue the historical line: when the Prince of Orange spoke in this Council, he himself was still a Catholic, but married a Protestant: the Lutheran Princess Anna of Saxony. Now in 2004, a Catholic Princess is given entrance into this Council, while her spouse is a Protestant Prince of Orange.

The Netherlands are united in diversity. The kingship is the symbol of that diversity. And you, Your Royal Highness, you can contribute to this.

[...]

Your Royal Highness,

Being in this Council offers You the opportunity to take note of the work of the Council and the considerations which play a role. In addition, You can -when necessary- always appeal to the Council or to individual members if You, to determine Your own political position, need an independent judgment. Above all I hope that the contacts with the Council will give You satisfaction.

Following in the footsteps of our President (The Queen), I welcome you, also personally, in this Council. It is my pleasure to offer you -as a memento of this special moment- a copy of the Constitution with an overview of the development since 1814, the foundation of the kingdom.

The monarchy in the Netherlands can function -not in spite of, but precisely because- of the royal inviolability and the ministerial responsibility as enshrined in Article 42 of the Constitution. These principles protect the kingship against what scars the life of politicians: the connection with only one party, the need to keep promises, the following elections.

The monarchy stands for the commonwealth, for that which goes beyond partial interests or beyond the lifespan of a cabinet. A well-functioning monarchy has ministers who are not afraid to give space for this and (so) to take criticism. That is also the meaning of the ministerial responsibility of Article 42.

May You experience that in the practice of Your work!"

Picture:

HRH Princess Máxima of the Netherlands
Mr Herman-Diederik Tjeenk Willink, Vice-President of the Council of State
HRH The Prince of Orange

https://blauwbloed.eo.nl/fileadmin/...11/Koningin_Maxima_zitting_Raad_van_State.jpg

Last edited:
Upon turning 18, the princess of Orange will become a Dame in the Order of the Golden Lion of Nassau (see this page on koninklijkhuis.nl (in Dutch)).

Note that sons are knights from birth but in 1984 then Queen Beatrix arranged with grand duke Jean that daughters would also be included in the order (which made sense from her perspective as in the Netherlands sons would no longer be higher in the line of succession than their older sister(s) - but made less sense for Luxembourg as they restricted their succession to males (roughly) until 2009; so I guess this was the compromise).

She will also become a Dame Grand Cross in the Order of the Netherlands Lion, just like her father on his 18th birthday and her grandmother on hers.

Her younger sisters will also get both decorations upon turning 18, so, they are not limited to the direct heir. However, while Amalia's spouse will be made knight grand cross of the order of the Netherlands Lion on his wedding day; their husbands will not automatically receive the order of the Netherlands Lion (princess Laurentien is still waiting - Pieter van Vollenhoven only got it the day before he turned 65). Let's say that he truly earned (unlike the many heads of states and their spouses who receive it for just visiting the Netherlands for a few days).

Last edited:
I can't believe Amalia is turning 18! It's like she was just born yesterday. Where has the time gone?

When will the De Breij book be released?

It's not for another month and nobody knows where she is right now and the Court has not advertised a program for her return yet, let alone festivities, have they?

I hope we can see an official photo of Princess Catharina-Amalia wearing a tiara.

It's not for another month and nobody knows where she is right now and the Court has not advertised a program for her return yet, let alone festivities, have they?
She seems to be in LA at the moment.

But I don't expect festivities. It is very likely that the Netherlands will go in some form of lockdown for 3 weeks... So, not a time for large royal parties.

Upon turning 18, the princess of Orange will become a Dame in the Order of the Golden Lion of Nassau (see this page on koninklijkhuis.nl (in Dutch)).

Note that sons are knights from birth but in 1984 then Queen Beatrix arranged with grand duke Jean that daughters would also be included in the order (which made sense from her perspective as in the Netherlands sons would no longer be higher in the line of succession than their older sister(s) - but made less sense for Luxembourg as they restricted their succession to males (roughly) until 2009; so I guess this was the compromise).

She will also become a Dame Grand Cross in the Order of the Netherlands Lion, just like her father on his 18th birthday and her grandmother on hers.

Her younger sisters will also get both decorations upon turning 18, so, they are not limited to the direct heir. However, while Amalia's spouse will be made knight grand cross of the order of the Netherlands Lion on his wedding day; their husbands will not automatically receive the order of the Netherlands Lion (princess Laurentien is still waiting - Pieter van Vollenhoven only got it the day before he turned 65). Let's say that he truly earned (unlike the many heads of states and their spouses who receive it for just visiting the Netherlands for a few days).

So her CV will be updated in december.
(I see that Dame is used but officially she will be Knight grand-cross).

Her Royal Highness
Princess Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria
Princess of Orange, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau
Knight grand-cross in the Order of the Lion of the Netherlands (2021)
Knight grand-cross in the Order of the Golden Lion of the House Nassau (2021)
Investiture Medal King Willem-Alexander (2013)

She seems to be in LA at the moment.

But I don't expect festivities. It is very likely that the Netherlands will go in some form of lockdown for 3 weeks... So, not a time for large royal parties.

Yes, it is most unlikely there will be anything other than the official entrance of The Princess of Orange into the Raad van State, assembled in the former city palace of King Willem II.

But even that will be doubtful s a new lock-down is nearing...

:ermm:

Entrance into the Raad van State
Her Royal Highness the Princess of Orange will be introduced into the Raad van State (est. 1531) on Wednesday afternoon, December 8th, 2021 by His Majesty The King, President of the Raad van State. Her Majesty Queen Máxima will also be present.

This extraordinary meeting will take place in the ballroom of the former palace at the Kneuterdijk in The Hague. The Princess of Orange, The King and the Vice-President of the Raad van State, Mr Thom de Graaf, will give short speeches during the extraordinary meeting.

Member of the Council of State and the Advisory Division
Article 74 of the Constitution stipulates that the Princess of Orange, as intended successor to the throne, is a 'member by right' from her eighteenth birthday, i.e. on 7 December 2021, and therefore has a seat in the Raad van State and in the Advisory Division.

The intended successor to the throne can thus prepare for her future task as Queen by, among other things, gaining the necessary knowledge of legislation and constitutional law.

Ceremonial function
The Constitution stipulates that The King is President of the Raad van State. This is a ceremonial function, because the day-to-day management rests with the Vice-President. The Princess of Orange will soon be allowed to participate in meetings of the Advisory Division. In practice they have no substantive involvement. They also have no voting rights.

Extraordinary meeting
Due to the renovation of the Binnenhof (Inner Court), the extraordinary meeting will be held on December 8th in the former palace at the Kneuterdijk and not in the Full Council Chamber of the Raad van State at the Binnenhof. To mark the occasion, at the invitation of the Raad van State, the Princess of Orange will subsequently plant a Koningslinde (King's Lime, Kaiser Linden) in the French garden of the former palace at the Kneuterdijk.

Raad van State
The Raad van State (Council of State) is a High Council of State and has seventy state councillors. The Council is an independent advisor to the government and parliament on legislation and governance and is the highest general administrative court in the Netherlands. These tasks are performed by two separate departments: the Advisory Division and the Administrative Jurisdiction Division.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there much media hype about the 18th Birthday of the Princess in the Netherlands?

Is there much media hype about the 18th Birthday of the Princess in the Netherlands?

No hype, I would say. Of course there will be reports, documentaries, the publication of books. The traditional nagging on her lavish income is cleverly countered by her request to return the income and the budget for functional costs as long as she has no duties as Princess of Orange.

I agree, no hype at all.

A few weeks ago there was the announcement about a book being published. So, that will get some attention when it is available. More recently her entrance into the Council of State was announced; the press will report on that event taking place the day after her birthday and pictures will be shared for her birthday. Other than that, she will go back enjoying her gap year out of public sight.

I agree with Duc et Pair, her decision to return the money she receives when she turns 18 was a smart one as that would have dominated the press had she not done so. In this way it can be a 'small celebration' of the future queen coming of age.

I thought perhaps the Dutch Royal Mint might release a new coin to mark the milestone.

I agree the decision to return the money was a wise one.

I thought perhaps the Dutch Royal Mint might release a new coin to mark the milestone.

I agree the decision to return the money was a wise one.

I haven't read anything yet but it would be nice if either a new coin or postmark would be released.

Eighteenth Birthday of
Princess Catharina-Amalia of The Netherlands, Princess of Orange

675px-Prinses_Cathatrina-Amalia_en_zusters_wapen_2003.svg.png

7 December, 2021

**​

The colour scheme of this Wikipedia coat-of-arms is weird.
since when are pearls green?
See the crowns.

On Wikipedia I see the very same Coat of Arms with the right colours ?

See:

1200px-Coat_of_Arms_of_the_children_of_Willem-Alexander_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png

Perhaps she asked for emeralds instead. [emoji6]

I suppose this low-key marking of Amalia's birthday is largely out of consideration of the Corona situation in the Netherlands and lock down.

Could there be a larger and more public celebration of her 20th birthday instead, you think?

Why would there be a large celebration of her 20th birthday? It's not seen as a special birthday in my experience. The somewhat larger 'round' birthday celebration start to count at 40 (only the 10s until 60; the '5s' come in at 65).

Interesting.

Here all round birthdays are big. With 30, 50 and being 100 extra big. Hence my question.

So basically nothing big until she gets married, turn 40 or become queen?

Prince Willem-Alexander's 18th birthday was also not so spectacular. He was received at some departments, provinces, cities, for an example in the official residence of the Mayor of Amsterdam (see picture), and then tout Amsterdam came along to meet the Prince and shake hands.

He was given entrance into the Council of State (see picture), was first seen with a cigarette (see picture), started his compulsory military service at the Royal Navy (see picture), etc. There was not really anything big.

Of course it was 1985, a bit of a gloomy era with a recession, with nuclear unrest (fierce protests against nuclear cruise missiles on Dutch airbases), with an AIDS epidemy hitting society etc. It was not really an era in which gala parties were en vogue.

Prince Willem-Alexander's 18th birthday was also not so spectacular. He was received at some departments, provinces, cities, for an example in the official residence of the Mayor of Amsterdam (see picture), and then tout Amsterdam came along to meet the Prince and shake hands.

He was given entrance into the Council of State (see picture), was first seen with a cigarette (see picture), started his compulsory military service at the Royal Navy (see picture), etc. There was not really anything big.

Of course it was 1985, a bit of a gloomy era with a recession, with nuclear unrest (fierce protests against nuclear cruise missiles on Dutch airbases), with an AIDS epidemy hitting society etc. It was not really an era in which gala parties were en vogue.

With an ongoing Covid pandemic and the Netherlands going back into a circuit-breaker partial lockdown, I doubt a gala party would be "en vogue" now.

I would think the nice thing to do would be to get some virtual event organized so that everyone can celebrate with her. Invite the country and spread some cheer, safely.

She can still have a nice party with the stipulations that all guests are vaccinated and have a negative covid test the day of the party.

Back
Top Bottom