The 18th Birthday of Princess Catharina-Amalia, Princess of Orange - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't really expect a tiara portrait for her 18th birthday, but it still would have been a nice surprise. Anyways, these portraits are very nice and show a confident and lovely young lady.

Do you think that Princess Amalia will now start attending the annual diplomatic receptions? Or will that have to wait till she finishes her studies? I fear that it will be the latter.

I thought there might have been a tiara one so I feel a bit disappointed.

Wonderful pictures .

I'm not a fan of the photos.

Amalia looks beautiful and elegant in everything. The problem is not the subject but the photographer.
Why are the photos dark and only in one location? Amalia is the future- the photos should be bright and illicit hope and optimism.
The dark and somber photos do just the opposite.

The pictures, and the Princess, are beautiful. But I find it sad that they are so dark and somber.

I hear chuchbells ringing on occasion of her birthday!
There had been a request to ring all churchbells from 09.00AM til 09.10AM.

A set of new photos on the occassion of the princess' 18t birthday. No tiara photo sadly.

https://t.co/gtrUcRgnW5

Love her pics!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a fan of the photos.

Amalia looks beautiful and elegant in everything. The problem is not the subject but the photographer.
Why are the photos dark and only in one location? Amalia is the future- the photos should be bright and illicit hope and optimism.
The dark and somber photos do just the opposite.

The pictures were taken in Huis ten Bosch, to be precize in the Oranjesael, which was built by Amalia of Nassau, Princess of Orange born Reichsgräfin von Solms-Braunfels (1602-1675).

As monarchy is all about symbolism, I am sure this choice was deliberately made, to connect today's Amalia with that other Amalia 4 centuries earlier.

Not only is the venue beautiful, it is a dark 17th C space and probably the photographer wanted to capture the typical 17th C clair obscur of a December day?

Oranjesael - North wall : https://www.koninklijkeverzamelingen.nl/images/thema/oranjezaal/noordwand.jpg

Last edited:
I like the photos. I see both Princess Beatrix and Queen Wilhelmina in her.

It does not surprise me that there is no tiara picture. She won't be doing anything official soon (save for her entry into the Raad van State tomorrow) and there was not one of Princess Elisabeth either and they are in the same position. And both will not use their dotation for quite some time.

The photos are beautiful and she's so lovely.

I do hope for another set, brighter, soon. I can't imagine anything bright in this location, so perhaps another?

It is sad that this is not a public Event where she and the King should make a Speech such as we belgians we had for Elisabeth our Duchess of Brabant !

It is sad that this is not a public Event where she and the King should make a Speech such as we belgians we had for Elisabeth our Duchess of Brabant !

That is tomorrow: the Princess will be given entrance into the Raad van State. Then the King (the President of the Raad van State) and the Princess will give a speech.

This short ceremony will be done in the former city palace of the Prince of Orange (later King Willem II) in The Hague.

The Raad van State, established by Charles Quint in 1531, is one of yhe oldest -still existing- High Colleges of State. And as the King is the President (and Amalia the future President) this is where the first official words are spoken.

So the Princess of Orange has three decorations now:

Ridder Grootkruis in de Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw 2021 ( see picture )

Chevalier l'Ordre du Lion d'Or de la Maison de Nassau 2021 ( see picture )

Inhuldigingsmedaille Willem-Alexander 2013 ( see picture )

Princess Amalia received a personal flag.

It is "cut out" (means: the flag is used by a lady).

An orange flag with a nassau-blue cross and coloured symbols = a born Princess of the Netherlands

A nassau-blue flag with an orange cross and uni-coloured symbols = a Princess of the Netherlands by marriage

The illustrations are from Wikipedia ( = free public domain )

Personal standard of HRH Princess Marie
The horn of Orange
The horn of Orange
1280px-Prinses_Marie_der_Nederlanden_vlag.svg.png

Personal standard of HRH Princess Juliana
The horn of Orange
The bull of Mecklenburg
1280px-Vlag_van_prinses_Juliana_1909_-_1948_en_1980_-_2004.svg.png

Personal standard of HRH Princess Beatrix
The horn of Orange
The rose of Lippe
1280px-Prinsessen_der_Nederlanden%2C_dochters_van_Juliana%2C_vlag.svg.png

Personal standard of HRH Princess Laurentien
The horn of Orange (in uni colour)
The lozenge of Van Brinkhorst (in uni colour)
1280px-Onderscheidingsvlag_van_prinses_Laurentien.svg.png

Personal standard of HRH Princess Máxima ("Queen Máxima")
The horn of Orange (in uni colour)
The tower of Zorreguieta (in uni colour)
1280px-Onderscheidingsvlag_van_Koningin_M%C3%A1xima.svg.png

Personal standard of HRH Princess Catharina-Amalia
The horn of Orange
The tower of Zorreguieta
1280px-Prinses_Amalia_en_zussen_vlag.svg.png

So the Princess of Orange has three decorations now:

Ridder Grootkruis in de Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw 2021 ( see picture )

Chevalier l'Ordre du Lion d'Or de la Maison de Nassau 2021 ( see picture )

Inhuldigingsmedaille Willem-Alexander 2013 ( see picture )
Was there a ceremony where those orders were bestowed upon the Princess? Or was it just by default that she gets them at 18-no ceremony.

Was there a ceremony where those orders were bestowed upon the Princess? Or was it just by default that she gets them at 18-no ceremony.

No ceremony. It's by default upon turning 18.

Has she made her profession of faith?

She talked about it in the book that was recently published, so that provides an indication of her beliefs - but I am sure you are referring to a formal profession of faith within the church. No, given that she only turned 18 today, it would be quite exceptional if she had professed her faith while still a minor. In the Calvinist tradition this would be normally done at some point after reaching the age of majority (previously it was customary to do so around Easter after turning 18 - and after taking up 'confession classes' for about 6 months - but nowadays it really depends). Her father professed his faith about a month (March 23, 1997) before he turned 30 (the others that also confessed their faith in the same church service (of the Kloosterkerk in The Hague) didn't know that the prince of Orange was going to join them until they had a preparation meeting discussing the practical details).

Last edited:
No ceremony. It's by default upon turning 18.

She talked about it in the book that was recently published, so that provides an indication of her beliefs - but I am sure you are referring to a formal profession of faith within the church.

Yes, that is exactly what I am referring to.

She was still not officially confirmed?

She was still not officially confirmed?

I've always believed that the Dutch RF are very private where religion is concerned unlike most other royal houses where we do see them attending Mass/Services.

Princess Amalia of Orange in a red dress in that magnificent Oranjesael which was commissioned by another Princess Amalia of Orange, almost 4 centuries ago.
That Amalia is pictured with a red dress. Coincidence? She also looks quite today's Amalia in body type, I must say.

Picture

Residents in a Dutch city have creatively highlighted this famous Amalia:

Picture

I've always believed that the Dutch RF are very private where religion is concerned unlike most other royal houses where we do see them attending Mass/Services.

Yes, the Netherlands are a highly secularized country (with regions where religion is more apparent, to add for the complete picture).

The King seems to have adapted the general adagium: the State knows no religion. And as he is the head-of-state, he keeps religion private indeed.

For an example a situation like in Belgium, where personnel of Catholic, Islamic, Protestant, Humanistic, Jewish, Orthodox and Anglican communities are paid for by the State is unthinkable in the Netherlands. (In Belgium these are paid, remarkably enough, salaries from the Budget of the Justice Department).

The Princess has made a wonderful testament on her coming of age to the nation. It is most unfortunate that 2021 has been marred by her father’s judgment on lawful restrictions when he decided to go off on an international holiday. This is a clear lesson for dear Amalia, something that I cannot imagine would have occurred under the reign of her grandmother or great grandmother. The Oranges have a tradition of mistakes before Wilhelmina put a stop to the worse excesses. Good luck to Amalia. Lang leve die prinses de oranje!

Yes I mean her great great granny, not Juliana who was very accident prone

Lovely photos. The King and Queen look very proud.
I do wish it was Amalia in red- and not the Queen.

The Princess has made a wonderful testament on her coming of age to the nation. It is most unfortunate that 2021 has been marred by her father’s judgment on lawful restrictions when he decided to go off on an international holiday. This is a clear lesson for dear Amalia, something that I cannot imagine would have occurred under the reign of her grandmother or great grandmother. The Oranges have a tradition of mistakes before Wilhelmina put a stop to the worse excesses. Good luck to Amalia. Lang leve die prinses de oranje!

All Oranges have made misakes, also Queen Wilhelmina (for an example her neglect of colonial abuse or her blind eye for the fate of the Jews), also Queen Juliana (for an example refusing to assent penalties given to war criminals or allowing third persons distancing the head of state from the Government), also Queen Beatrix (objecting against ambassadors which were not to her liking or taking a side-step in the formation process against the majority of the advices).

Seen in this framework, the trip to Greece (which was lawful by the way) but badly perceived by a public suddenly for the first time confronted with someting like a Pandemic, this ill-judged private trip hardly qualifies as a mistake. Unlike the six examples mentioned, this one had no any constitutional or political link. It was a badly timed private decision by the royal couple.

Trust me: Queen Catharina-Amalia will make mistakes too. She will make ill-judged decisions too. She will receive her portion of bad press too. She will see a nose-dive in popularity too (to bounce back again). Like all Princes, Stadtholders, Kings and Grand-Dukes before her.

Hmm, I wished the Princess had worn a hat too and her mother has not understand that a brimmed hat is often no success with hanging hair.

I looked in live. Princess Amalia is now Crown Princess and Member of the Raad van Staat such as the Voorzitter , her Father , Princesses Beatrix and Juliana.
She did so well . Congratulations to the people of the Netherlands and to the Dutch Posters.

Amalia was calm and collected during her speech. A little less so at the pressconference (can't blame her).
She very much uses her grandmother as her rolemodel, as shown by quoting Princess Beatrix' words at her own introduction in '56.
The King and Queen were so very proud. The look in his eyes of the King, during her speech, spoke volumes.

I am so moved seeing these children whose births and christenings I remember...and whom I followed over the years...come into their own as young adults.

And I really love seeing the pride and emotion of their parents!?

Back
Top Bottom