The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-15-2021, 07:36 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Wow, it is much more personal than I thought it would be.

And a great treat for royal jewel lovers as well: there a great photo of the Princess with the Mellerio ruby tiara. Apparently as a child she loved to dress as a princess and watch Sissi movies with Romy Schneider. 'She loved to play with the royal jewels and she still enjoys tiaras, and knows them all from other European royals'.

About a future relationship she says that it does not need to be a secret but it does need to be private. She thinks that German boys are more well-mannered and more courtious. She already has ideas about a future wedding: maybe I want to use the crème calche that day'.

Two years ago she spent two days on her own on a mountain in Africa, without a shower, a phone, a bed, a book. She used the time to get to know herself and she wrote a letter to her aunt Inés, with things she still wanted to say to her.

If she will study in Leiden she would like to that out of her free will and not because it is a family tradition. She would like to do a bachelor in the Netherlands and after that spend two years abroad for a master.

Edit: I see now that Rick Evers provided English translations to all his tweets.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Interesting that the Princess finds German boys "more well-mannered" and that she already has quite an outline about her bridal gown and wedding day, thinking about the crème calèche (picture).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Wow, it is much more personal than I thought it would be.

And a great treat for royal jewel lovers as well: there a great photo of the Princess with the Mellerio ruby tiara. Apparently as a child she loved to dress as a princess and watch Sissi movies with Romy Schneider. 'She loved to play with the royal jewels and she still enjoys tiaras, and knows them all from other European royals'.

About a future relationship she says that it does not need to be a secret but it does need to be private. She thinks that German boys are better mannered and more courtious. She already has ideas about a future weddingz: maybe I want to use the crème calche that day'.

Two years ago she spent two days on her own on a mountain in Africa, without a shower, a phone, a bed, a book. She used the time to get to know herself and she wrote a letter to her aunt Inés, with things she still wanted to say to her.

If she will study in Leiden she would like to that out of her free will and not because it is a family tradition. She would like to do a bachelor in the Netherlands and after that spend two years abroad for a master.

Edit: I see now that Rick Evers provided English translations to all his tweets.

That sounds like an even more spectacular Princess than her mother, not afraid to pack out with all the venues, spectacle and glitter the Dutch Court than offer. She look Beatrixian in her sense of duty (she has more accepted her destiny than her father at the same age: "I dedicate my life to the Netherlands") but more the younger Juliana in knowing how to use the theatre of state.

Old 11-15-2021, 08:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Interesting that the Princess finds German boys "more well-mannered" and that she already has quite an outline about her bridal gown and wedding day, thinking about the crème calèche (picture).
A practical choice since the Gold Coach might no longer be available for use now that it has been museumised. The CC is preferable because it is more informal and 'bridal', even though it will be a state occasion. There is an enormous selection of eligible German princes to be the future The Prince of the NL.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

The picture of the princes with her grandmother is lovely. She suits the bright pink tones of the floral crown. It appears she is a flower girl at a wedding, does anyone know when this was taken?
Old 11-15-2021, 09:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
The picture of the princes with her grandmother is lovely. She suits the bright pink tones of the floral crown. It appears she is a flower girl at a wedding, does anyone know when this was taken?

It really is a lovely picture!
It was when Amalia was a flower girl at the wedding of Queen Maxima's brother.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Eleanor View Post
It really is a lovely picture!
It was when Amalia was a flower girl at the wedding of Queen Maxima's brother.
All three sisters were flower girls and also their mother looked spectacular: picture.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

"Today the book 'Amalia' is published. Claudia de Breij wrote this book on the occasion of Princess Amalia's 18th birthday. During a video call, the Princess and the writer look back on their collaboration and discuss the end result."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1460498235483688963
Old 11-16-2021, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
A practical choice since the Gold Coach might no longer be available for use now that it has been museumised. The CC is preferable because it is more informal and 'bridal', even though it will be a state occasion. There is an enormous selection of eligible German princes to be the future The Prince of the NL.

But then she can't continue the Tradition of the dutch heirs to marry in Winter/Spring because i don't think she want's to ride in an open carriage on her Wedding Day in January/February or March

Old 11-16-2021, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
Some private pictures from the book

https://twitter.com/RickEversRoyal/s...82154194669576
Wonderful and sweet photo of the Princess of Orange and her grandmother.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:15 AM
Administrator

The princess and Claudia discussing the book on zoom: https://twitter.com/koninklijkhuis/s...483688963?s=20

She says that it feels strange that this will be published, as it contains a lot of personal things.
I agree, it does feel rather personal. I never read the books about WA and Beatrix but I am surprised how it seems to portray a real person rather than giving a lot of expected and scripted answers. If I would be her parent I imagine I would have the urge to remove much of what was said, but that means you would end up with a lot of nothing. I admire the openness in which this project was approached and the guts of the princess to reveal as much of her own personality and private life.

The atmosphere between Amalia and Claudia seems very relaxed. They make each other laugh and the princess says how difficult it was to make a selfie of the two of them (as is shown on the back of the cover) as so many failed due to fits of laughter. Claudia uses the informal 'jij' instead of the formal 'u'.

--------

Josine Droogendijk has a lot of bits on her website modekoninginmaxima.nl.

Among them the following story: During a conversation De Breij notices a ring with white and blue stones. It was a gift for her 15th birthday, said the princess. All girls in the family receive a ring from grandmother. It is a tradition in the family. "You wake up with it on your 10th birthday". The ring was made from stones that belonged to Queen Wilhelmina. That is why the princess was afraid to wear (and lose) the ring. That is why on her 15th birthday she received a simpler ring, which she is not afraid to wear.

The 15th birthday ring:
https://www.modekoninginmaxima.nl/si...les/ringgg.png

From thw article: https://www.modekoninginmaxima.nl/mo...em-voor-amalia

In the article the jewel there is speculation on an 18th birthday tiara. Both Juliana as Beatrix reiceved one. Perhaps the tradition is continued. But the most likely option is of course that the princess will simply use an existing tiara fromt he family collection.

Another extract:
Quote:
Amalia & her duty
Duty is discussed several times in Claudia de Breij's book and the many quotes show that the princess is dutiful and knows what is expected from her. For example, on pages 28/29 you can read: "You can never do it right, she already knows that. She had to make peace with the fact that you can never satisfy everyone at primary school, because if you go more to one side tends to, those people are angry, and if you bend the other way, other people are angry. "I'm a perfectionist, but it's never perfect. So I try to do it in such a way that I can say to myself: I know I did my best.' She thinks she's doing well if she can help the Netherlands. "If I can avoid a disagreable situation through diplomacy. If I've made the world a little bit better, I will be happy. I am in the service of my country. I give my life to the Netherlands.'”
The princess says that although she did not fully embrace her fate she has reconsiled herself to it since she was 14 years old.

Quote:
Amalia & her parents
With three teenage girls, things in Huis ten Bosch Palace can get rowdy. In 'Amalia' this is neither denied nor concealed, but there are also many positive words. Amalia: “My mother is really a buddy to me, a kind of friend, who sees how I feel, who is always there for me. On the one hand she is my mother, on the other hand my buddy. I can dance with her until six ó clock in the morning, but the next morning she can just remind me to clean my room. Sometimes I get, what do you call it, corrected, but we can also really have fun together.

With the whole family, by the way, especially now that my sisters and I are getting older. Those more serious trips used to be pretty boring for us as kids, but now it's different. For example, when we went to Japan with our family, we laughed so much together.' She talks about the jokes of her sisters, about how nice it is that her parents now also make the adult jokes in front of them. “They used to speak French if we weren't allowed to know something. Now that I am no longer a child, everything is just in Dutch. Cards in the table.”
Quote:
Amalia & love
“She is very romantic, she says. She already knows what kind of dress she wants to wear when she gets married, and when she shows me the carriages at the Royal Stables, she points out a few in particular. There is the carriage that is used for funerals: a large and impressive thing, hopefully parked here unemployed for a long time.

The Glass Carriage, of which she demonstrates how tiny and shaky the steps are on which you have to step. “I'll have to practice on that for a while before I take it to the States General.” And a fairytale cream-white carriage, the Crème Calèche, where she says: “I might want this one when I get married.” She shows no hesitation about the fact that she wants to get married and would like to have children. Romantic as she is, she likes it when guys aren't rude, but have a bit of gallant manners, and she notices that German guys generally understand that a bit better than Dutch guys.

When she was very young, she got enough crudeness in that respect. For example, she heard that there were guys at school who had been betting with each other about who could get Amalia first; the winner would receive more than a hundred euros in debit to play the computer game FIFA. "No, there WAs no winner.” added the princess.
https://www.modekoninginmaxima.nl/mo...-aan-nederland

[Note: translation provided with the permission of Josine Drogendijk]
Old 11-16-2021, 04:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think the open carriage is a romantic idea for a traditional joyeuse entrée but not really for a wedding. The crème calèche is spectacular, especially when the benches for the footmen are removed and make place for the Gratiae (see picture).

The Royal Mews in The Hague have the same sort dark blue or black state landaus and state calèches as Queen Elizabeth II uses for grand events (see picture). These are more stately and less feminine, so to say.

The Crème Calèche is extremely "low", a very airy lightweight feminine carriage, with the white interior some call it "a bed on wheels" (see picture).
Old 11-16-2021, 04:46 AM
Administrator

I think the crème caleche is the most bridal carriage that they have TBH. I like the idea of it being used. At the same time with the Dutch weather it is not a given that it can be used. And in addition: large royal events are often used by protestors. There were two incidents with the golden carriage recently: at the wedding of WA and Máxima white paint was thrown on it and during a Prinsjesdag a deranged person threw a candle holder to it. So I can imagine the security staff would prefer a closed carriage.

----
Continued from modekoninginmaxima.nl:

Quote:
Amalia & her sisters
Amalia: “[sometimes] I can start a conflict. With mom anyway.' Her father can sometimes suddenly can have enough of something, when they [his daughters] still think 'we are all just joking with each other', suddenly he is done with it all, without the three daughters having seen it coming. After such an explosion, Alexia starts a confrontation with her father but the others try to look for harmony.

In friendships it is also something you have to learn. She likes it when friends can just say: 'Am, that was not a convenient move on your part.' And with her sisters? It's going well, she says. Ariane is a bit of a dreamer, and Alexia and Amalia are getting along better since they started going out together. One of them can, if necessary, keep the other a little out of the wind from mom and dad the next morning.”
About religion the princess is rather open:

Quote:
Amalia & Faith
“For me, I don't have a man in the clouds,” she says. "It's more a feeling than a concrete thing. She is “really not the most religious person”, but does have the feeling that there is something overarching “that I call God for the sake of convenience. But I can't give it a name, and I don't need to either.' Sometimes it just happens that she asks: help me. "That's what I ask to… to I don't know. Something. And that something I call God.”
About her being shielded from the public during her upbringing:

Quote:
“Did you actually think it was a good idea that we kept you away from official duties and the press as much as possible during those first eighteen years?” the King asks Amalia. She thinks about it for a moment. Yes, she liked it very much. Now she still has a bit of privacy, but after she has been on television she gets recognized more often on the street. “Of course it will be even more so in the future. Then everyone looks at you like you have a goldfish on your head. That is already the case when I go into town with Mama.”
This is where a photo is inserted of Máxima and Amalia in a Kimono. These were christmas gifts. The two are posing in front of a christmas tree, which seems to be decorated in the way it was done at Soestdijk, with silver tinsil (angel hair in Dutch).

Quote:
Amalia & school
At the beginning of the book, Amalia says she is a "deadline junkie." "If you give me ten years to do something, I'll start after nine years and eleven months." Later in the book, it turns out that the desire for pressure says nothing about her sense of responsibility. “I was just really stressed out because my father had said to me, 'Amalia, you would be the first in the family to graduate cum laude from high school.' And I already had the required grades, they could only decrease if I didn't do very well on my exams. I was so nervous about it. Well, then I was once really in tears and my father took my hands and said: “It's not necessary [that she will pass her exams cum laude]. I just wanted to point it out.” But I did it anyway.”
Quote:
Amalia & social media
The princess tells De Breij that she appreciates the courtesy in the Sissi films. She even shows a little curtsy. What Amalia also faces is the opposite, rudeness, especially on social media. Even the baby photo where she is only half an hour old is followed by sour criticism. “I was thalf an hour old” Amalia says with a surprised look. Being confronted with this behavior for all your life: "I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.”

To protect herself, she built a little wall around herself, she says. She had to, when, for example, when she was nine years old, she was told via the same social media that she had better hang herself. "Then you have two choices: you can go completely crazy, or not let it get to you and protect yourself against it." She has had that wall from the age of twelve, she says."
Quote:
Amalia & the death of Inés
"We got the news, I was woken up at six in the morning. We had to go to Argentina as soon as possible, because the funeral was the next day. That's how it goes there. I did go to school that day. In hindsight, that was not a good decision.

Total stress. It was total stress. So I had dressed better than usual, and completely made up. That way you can sometimes hide it when you're having trouble, like a layer of paint over something that's broken. But yes, you still break. I could only cry. And then no mascara or dress can save you.” “I'm just trying to think she's better now. That she's with my grandfather.
Quote:
Amalia & money
They also talk about Amalia's allowance. She will repay the amount (1.6 million per year) until the end of her studies. Amalia: “I didn't know that it was an option to refund the allowance at all, but my parents had been working on it for a long time and then presented this sollution to me in a conversation. So when I knew this was a possibility, I made the choice and wrote the letter.”
Quote:
Amalia and Jewels & Fashion
Amalia loves jewelry. “Yaaaa! I love tiaras. Show me a tiara, and I'll know where it came from. I can recognize all the tiaras in Europe. I used to put them on, [stealing them from her mother]. Then there would be a tiara on her make-up table and I would put it directly on my head. I really liked to play with my mother's jewelry anyway. When I was very little. She was preparing for an important dinner and she shouted around the house, "Amalia, where's that ring?"

The royal clothing is also discussed. Claudia: “She does get pocket money, she says, but no clothing allowance. Her mother often chooses clothes for important moments, and she thinks that's fine, because 'of course she is seriously knows what she is talking about'. When she goes shopping with her mother, she usually doesn't buy the items that her mother point out to her. Her mother then sometimes buys it anyway, but for herself. She [the queen] wears it, and after three times Amalia says, "By the way, I took that one shirt from your closet." "I knew that," is usually the answer. "It was for you, you just had to check it on me to see that it is actually a nice piece."
Link to the article, here, all provided by Josine Droogendijk of the website modekoninginmaxima.nl. Her personal twitter will be well known to many of you, but you can find it here: https://twitter.com/josineevers

[Note: translations provided with permission of Josine Droogendijk]
Old 11-16-2021, 05:54 AM
Administrator

More from the NOS:

https://nos.nl/artikel/2405795-bijna...id-en-toekomst

- As a young girl the princess visited a child psychologist. She still discusses her mental health with a professional on a regular basis today. "I do not think it is a taboo and I have no problem with saying this in public'. 'Sometimes it all is too much for me, school, friends... If the need arises I make an appointment and I talk to somebody. After that I am good for a month.'.

Mental health is important to the princess, just as physical health is: 'I think it is normal to talk to a professional every now and then, especially considering what happened with my aunt Inès'.

De Breij visited the palace six times and there was a lot of email communication between the princess and the author. She took De Breij to the royal stables, to see her horse Mojito and to the beach bar that belongs to the parents of a friend of hers.

She calls her grandmother 'Amma'.

The princess talks how they rare extra careful when they go skiing, due to what happened to her uncle Friso. She has a beeper and always goes skiing with a guide.

She does not know what she will study, her interests are going in the direction of History, Economics and Law.

The princess knows how to make a cocktail. She has a beautiful singing voice, says De Breij. She sung and played 'Memory' by Barbra Streisand on the piano. The princess says that singing brings her comfort, she can express her emotions with it but she wants to keep it to herself.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

What nice to see that the Princess has learned to play piano and to sing. Actually that was a typical "classical upbringing" for ladies of her milieu as they were supposed "to entertain" companies received at their house.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Contrary to my habit I have pre-ordered the book. The first time I bought a book about a living royal. It will only be available in two days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc et Pair
What nice to see that the Princess has learned to play piano and to sing. Actually that was a typical "classical upbringing" for ladies of her milieu as they were supposed "to entertain" companies received at their house.
I believe that the Queen also sings and plays the guitar. IIRC the late princess Christina also once commented that Amalia and Alexia have a lovely singing voices.

To me it was new that the King also speaks French. And that the Queen and him had the habit of speaking French to each other if they wanted to say something that was not meant for the eyes of the children. It feels like a Couperus novel from the belle epoque .

--
Some other tidbits from various articles:

- If she were to inherit the throne now she thinks she would ask her mother to take care of things for a few years [as regent I assume].

- If she will be forced to chose between a partner or the throne she believes she would chose the partner, as she thinks she can not give her best for the country in such a situation.

- Encouraged by her father the princess studied to get a hunting permit for the royal crown domain. She does not expect to use it to go hunting, but to get an understanding of the estate.

-Friends of her were offered money to take screen shots of pictures on the private social media account of the princess.

- She was a perfectionist at school and tried to get a 10 [highest grade in our school system] during her first years at secundary school. This became such a burden to her that she had to promis her parents not to get a grade that was higher than a 9.

- The princess did not look forward to making a book, as she was aware that she had not achieved anything yet.

- The author asked her if she was straight or not. The princess is. But she says that she has no problem at all with homsexuality. 'My parents have a very diverse group of friends, so I am not only used to uncle and aunt but also to uncle and uncle or aunt and aunt'. Note that one of the princess godparents is gay, namely the minister of state Herman Tjeenk Willink, as is her great-aunt Marcela.

- during a vacation in Greece she thought she had strayed her ankle. Her father teased her and urged her to hurry up when she was walking. Afterwards photos were made and it appeared her ankle wasbroken. The king naturally offered his apologies.

- The princess thinks that she resembles her grandmother Beatrix in character. Both of them are perfectionistic and stubborn, even though she thinks her grandmother is even more stubborn than herself.

- During her exam perdiod she sometimes slept 2 hours, as she was always studying . During her driving classes she would sometimes nearly fall asleep as she was too tired.

- She doesn't like it if people are bragging about their titles. She told a friend: 'hit me if I ever become such a person'.

- She sometimes helps out in the beach bar/restaurant that belongs to the parents of a friend, because she felt embarrased that she often was eating there for free. She does think that she is clumsy and is not a hero with a serving tray.

- Claudia de Breij said that there was nothing of limits and the RVD did not presure her to remove anything. She did however feel a responsibility to protect a 17 y/o and did not write down certain things that she thought could harm the princess. She even wrote down that Amalia exclaimed 'fokkit' about something - a term used by young people rather often these days, coming from the English F- it. Queen Máxima had some problems with the word and would have liked to see it removed - as a mother does. De Breij said she convinced them to keep it in the book.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
[.....]

To me it was new that the King also spoke French. And that the Queen and him had the habbit of speaking French to each other if they wanted to say something that was not meant for the eyes of the children. It feels like a Couperus novel from the belle epoque .

[.....]

Interesting. Being able in French was part of a traditional upbringing too.
So Amalia was learned piano and singing.
And Willem-Alexander was learned French conversation.

(As we know he is fluent in Dutch, English and German). During the State Visit to France I heard the royal couple in an animated French conversation with their hosts during a boat trip on the river the Seine. That actually made me think about William, while French is a very official language in his future Realm, Canada...

Now the question is: did Amalia skip this classical part of a "princess education": learning the beautiful French language?

We know that she is trilangual: Dutch, English and Spanish. The curriculum of her school has Latin and ancient Greek. So I can understand there simply is little left to learn French.

People who are fluent in Spanish language most likely are able to understand and to hold a conversation in basic French indeed.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

It delights me to read all this.

Because now we genuinely begin to get to know Amalia, as a person and as a character. - Of course in a somewhat positive light still. (For all we know she might have a hobby of ripping of wings of beetles.)
She leaves to me the impression of being an intelligent and confident young woman, who has been doing a lot of reflection both in regards to herself but also future role. - Fortunately so, because if she hadn't thought deeply about these issues, there may be reason for some concern.
She also strikes me as being, not necessarily more introvert, than her younger sister Alexia, but certainly more quiet and less socially outgoing.
Playing the piano is something you practice a lot on your own. It also gives you time and opportunity to think, to focus.

Again comparing to Alexia, who want's to interact and to share her thoughts and interests - vis a vis her blog. And in contrast to Amalia, Alexia also appear to feel instantly comfortable in a crowd, also if the crowd consists of strangers. I refer to what we can deduce from the accounts from her school.
Alexia likes the attention, while Amalia accepts the attention. That is my immediate impression.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:22 PM
Majesty

Thank you Marengo for the translations.
Always nice to get an insight into the royals, of course still very young but nice to learn more on Amalia.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

Again comparing to Alexia, who want's to interact and to share her thoughts and interests - vis a vis her blog. And in contrast to Amalia, Alexia also appear to feel instantly comfortable in a crowd, also if the crowd consists of strangers. I refer to what we can deduce from the accounts from her school.
Alexia likes the attention, while Amalia accepts the attention. That is my immediate impression.
Is it known what the differencies from Amalia to Ariane are?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

Because now we genuinely begin to get to know Amalia, as a person and as a character. - Of course in a somewhat positive light still. (For all we know she might have a hobby of ripping of wings of beetles.)
She leaves to me the impression of being an intelligent and confident young woman, who has been doing a lot of reflection both in regards to herself but also future role. - Fortunately so, because if she hadn't thought deeply about these issues, there may be reason for some concern.
She also strikes me as being, not necessarily more introvert, than her younger sister Alexia, but certainly more quiet and less socially outgoing.
Playing the piano is something you practice a lot on your own. It also gives you time and opportunity to think, to focus.

I have the idea that Catharina-Amalia is very beatrixian in a certain business-like approach of the monarchy (for an example: she wants a hunting license, not to hunt herself but to understand the flora- and fauna management on the royal domains). At the same time she clearly loves jewels, decorum, courteosie. In that she looks quite margrethe-esque to me. It will be an interesting combination of two outspoken Queens...