Queen Máxima and Microfinance / Financial Inclusion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would love a translation too! Great pictures of Maxima.

Why are you so interested in micro-financing?
I've been born in Argentina, a country that as many South-American countries went through a difficuly economical time. As a child I got it right, but I still saw that a stable economy would give the best opportunities to everyone. That's why I decided when I was 14 I wanted to study economy. When I started working in a bank in New York, I got in touch with micro-financing. I loved that. Exactly what I thought that was needed!

Are you going to give your children money?
Yes. But they are too small for that right now. They do have a saving pot. Amalia is starting to think about what she wants to do with the money. But she still needs to save for that.

Do you recognize that feeling, when you go onto a plain you feel like you're getting pulled right back to your children?
I think that is the same for every mother. So it is for me. My children and husband have priority. They are the most important. When I'm in the Netherlands, I'm with the children a lot. I always bring them to school. And I always try to pick them up after school too, but unfortunately that doesn't always work.

Mother instinct, ey. I've felt guilty towards my children a lot. I thought; why am I doing this? Why am I leaving again?
But that goes with the territory. I don't need to feel guilty. Because travelling comes with what I do. But I try to keep it as minimum as possible. I keep on finding it extremly difficult to say goodbye to them. I enjoy them so much, but well, they also see sometimes it can't be done any other way. Gladly we call as much as possible. It's just that I miss them so much when I'm away. But on the other hand, my job gives me a great feeling. But I do set boundaries. When I took my new function at the VN, that I won't visit more countries per year than I have to.

When you're at home, does Willem-Alexander give you advice?
Yes, he gives advice ofcourse. Not as much about the substance but he does say to whom I can talk to. He just helps me through being my husband. To support me. And he does that every day.
Ofcourse I'm tired sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't go as fast as I'd like to. Gladly he then says; ''Well darling, just continue. It'll be allright.''
He's very positive.

The first few questions. Not feeling to do the rest. :whistling:

Why are you so interested in micro-financing?
I've been born in Argentina, a country that as many South-American countries went through a difficuly economical time. As a child I got it right, but I still saw that a stable economy would give the best opportunities to everyone. That's why I decided when I was 14 I wanted to study economy. When I started working in a bank in New York, I got in touch with micro-financing. I loved that. Exactly what I thought that was needed!

Are you going to give your children money?
Yes. But they are too small for that right now. They do have a saving pot. Amalia is starting to think about what she wants to do with the money. But she still needs to save for that.

Do you recognize that feeling, when you go onto a plain you feel like you're getting pulled right back to your children?
I think that is the same for every mother. So it is for me. My children and husband have priority. They are the most important. When I'm in the Netherlands, I'm with the children a lot. I always bring them to school. And I always try to pick them up after school too, but unfortunately that doesn't always work.

Mother instinct, ey. I've felt guilty towards my children a lot. I thought; why am I doing this? Why am I leaving again?
But that goes with the territory. I don't need to feel guilty. Because travelling comes with what I do. But I try to keep it as minimum as possible. I keep on finding it extremly difficult to say goodbye to them. I enjoy them so much, but well, they also see sometimes it can't be done any other way. Gladly we call as much as possible. It's just that I miss them so much when I'm away. But on the other hand, my job gives me a great feeling. But I do set boundaries. When I took my new function at the VN, that I won't visit more countries per year than I have to.

When you're at home, does Willem-Alexander give you advice?
Yes, he gives advice ofcourse. Not as much about the substance but he does say to whom I can talk to. He just helps me through being my husband. To support me. And he does that every day.
Ofcourse I'm tired sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't go as fast as I'd like to. Gladly he then says; ''Well darling, just continue. It'll be allright.''
He's very positive.

The first few questions. Not feeling to do the rest. :whistling:
thanl you so much

A nice little interview. Thanks!

I think Maxima and Willem-Alexander really do have an increadibly close relationship. Additionally, Crown Princess Maxima seems to be such a wonderful mother, and enjoys all the time she is able to spend with her children. Thanks for the translation of the interview. Ask and ye shall recieve, right?

Today:

Hare Koninklijke Hoogheid Prinses Máxima der Nederlanden houdt maandagmiddag 25 januari in het Vredespaleis te Den Haag een toespraak op de bijeenkomst ‘Microfinance: who profits?’ van Radio Nederland Wereldomroep.
Het evenement is een onderdeel van een multimediaproject waarmee de Wereldomroep de (on)mogelijkheden rond microfinanciering bij een breed wereldwijd publiek onder de aandacht wil brengen. Minister drs. A.G. Koenders voor Ontwikkelingssamenwerking houdt ook een toespraak.
Tijdens de bijeenkomst buigen zo'n 150 (inter)nationale genodigden zich over de vraag wie van microfinanciering profiteert. Naast de toespraken vindt een paneldiscussie plaats, waaraan onder andere Klaas Molenaar (INHolland University of Applied Sciences), Faisel Rahman (Fair Finance uit Groot-Brittannië) en Fazle Hasan Abed (BRAC uit Bangladesh) deelnemen. Tortillabakker Linda Flores uit Nicaragua vertelt haar persoonlijke verhaal.
De Wereldomroep lanceert op 5 januari een interactief 4-talig webdossier over microfinanciering.

And in English (sorry for my bad english):
Her Royal Highness Princess Máxima of the Netherlands is Monday January 25 at the Peace Palace in The Hague a speech at the meeting "Microfinance: Who profits?" From Radio Netherlands Worldwide.

The event is part of a multimedia project that will improve Worldwide the (im) possibilities around microfinance in a wide global audience bring to the attention. Minister drs A.G. Koenders of Development includes a speech.

During the meeting look around 150 (inter) national guests on who will benefit from microfinance. Besides the speeches is a panel discussion, which include Klaas Molenaar (INHolland University of Applied Sciences), Faisel Rahman (Fair Finance from Great Britain) and Fazl Hasan Abed (BRAC in Bangladesh) participate. Tortilla Baker Linda Flores from Nicaragua tells her personal story.

The Worldwide launches on January 5 a 4-lingual interactive Web dossier on microfinance.

25-01-2010 The Hague Princess Maxima arriving at the meeting ‘Microfinance: who profits?’ at the Peace palace in The Hague.
PPE Agency

HRH adressed the meeting;"Micro-credit,who profits" hosted by Radio Netherlands Worldservice,Peace Palace The Hague this afternoon.

The meeting is part of a multi-media project with which RNW wants to clarify all (in-) possibilities of micro-finance to a global audience.

The Princess will attend hand-out of the first KNAW Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences Merian Awards,
Trippenhuis Amsterdam tuesday january 26th.

Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences

Interior of the Trippenhuis,Kloveniersburgwal Amsterdam,seat of the Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences:

KNAW > Organisatie > Historie KNAW > De stijlkamers van het Trippenhuis

Last edited by a moderator:
HRH adressed the meeting;"Micro-credit,who profits" hosted by Radio Netherlands Worldservice,Peace Palace The Hague this afternoon.

The meeting is part of a multi-media project with which RNW wants to clarify all (in-) possibilities of micro-finance to a global audience.

Video of Princess Maxima Speech
Máxima: world's poor need access to funding | Radio Netherlands Worldwide

And some additional info:
Máxima: world's poor need access to funding | Radio Netherlands Worldwide

The Princess,Member of the dutch Council for Microfinance,will visit the entrepeneurpoint Startwijzer in Hoorn this afternoon.:)

More pics: PPE Agency

05-02-2010 Hoorn Princess Maxima visited, as a member of the Council of Microfinance, the MF- Entrepreneur Starting Guide (Startwijzer) in Hoorn in a bicyclebus.

Can someone post up the microfinance speech again? I'd love to hear Maxima speaking English! I can't remember if I've heard speak it or not.

09-02-2010 Vlissingen Princess Maxima visited, as member of the Council of Microfinance, the MF-Micro Starter point in Vlissingen.
She visited a computer company and a cafeteria.
The companies are supported by the MF-Micro Starter point Zealand.

PPE Agency

Princess Maxima attended, as member of the Council of Microfinance, the Entrepreneurs house in The Hague. The Princess was informed about the importance of microfinance and support for starting entrepreneurs.

Photos: PPE Agency

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Maxima launched the youth campaign CentiQ, "Guide to
money matters". The campaign aims to show young people how
to deal with money, Amstelveen, March 10, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga **

16-03-2010 Hilversum Princess Maxima attended, as member of the Council of Microfinance, the opening of the MF-entrepreneurs STEW/FCBV in Hilversum.
The STEW/FCBV focuses on the support of entrepreneurs with a social benefit background.

PPE Agency

ANP Pictures
ImageShack Album - 6 images

The Princess,member of the dutch Council for Micro-credit will give the start of "Day for Change Klasse!Actie" at Assen today.

The scheme aimes at raising awareness in elimentary- and high schools on micro-credit.Schools will be given a micro-credit to
set up their own businesses the profits of which go to real micro-credits schemes in developing countries.

Back
Top Bottom