Princess Máxima Visits Brazil: November 28-December 1, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i was also dissapointed with maxima's attire on this trip but i think the lavender alphet makes up for it. she looks great.

Do any of you know why she wears the big bracelets so much in Brazil? Is it something Brasilians wear often or perhaps a trendy fashion accessory this year? ...although it seems I have seen her wearing them before this so I wonder if there is a Brasilian connection. I love her in the purple outfit -- she looks beautiful.

Thanks for the photo's, Misshelen! I always love your pictures without watermarks! Máxima really looked nice this visit, I especially liked the purple outfit! :)

Brazil is really hot these days (summer is coming) and, besides, we're a pretty informal country.

Maxima's choice of clothing was great in my opinion, because she wasn't neither over nor under dressed. Her choices were perfect for the engagements she was performing.

And, by the way, she went to visit poor people in Brazil, so, to be over dressed would be taken somewhat like an offence by them.

Yes I think her toned down clothing is very appropriate, she knows latin america well, and that shows in her clothing. Brazil is more relaxed country. I am a fashion consultant and I can tell you that as far as the bracelet, they were a huge trend this year along with Necklaces. And as far as the t-strap shoes she needs to lose them definitely not for her type of legs.
The hair---please don't complain about her hair-its the humidity of the tropics, which she has no control over.

"she really is great... the more i see her, the more i like her. it's incredible how she never dissapointed me."

I second that.

"I think I might be the only one that is relatively unimpressed with the Princess's appearance, if not a bit disappointed. Her attire seems incredibly informal to me, and her hair....:eek: Máxima has dressed much better in the past even recently on her last official visit. The only "winning thing" has been her great smile."
I can't honestly see anything informal about her clothes, she's in a country which is incredibly hot so to wear smart suits everyday would be completely ludicrous. moreover I've seen other Royals dress in a similar fashion when on official visits to warmer countries.

Images from seegerpress

Attachments

• pre-SEEGER00151729.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00151729.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 196
  • pre-SEEGER00151730.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00151730.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 593
  • pre-SEEGER00151731.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00151731.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 236
  • pre-SEEGER00151735.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00151735.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 220
  • pre-SEEGER00151726.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00151726.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 656
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 209
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
misshelen said:
Pictures from today from Colourpress part 4

I am so thrilled to see her in this lilac suit again. I loved it so much when she wore it a few years ago. It's also really similar to the one she wore when she and WA gave their official 'thank you' speech to the dutch public for all the warmth extended to them at their wedding day. (such happy memories:D )

the color compliments her blond hair and skin tone. plus, while I do love her informal outfits on this trip: i think i like her best of all in her cute suits. she does that so well.

I thought Maxima dressed perfectly, she looked professional but approachable which I think is very important, especially in a country where she is not a everyday name.

The colours looked wonderful on her, I have not seen anything I do not like yet.

More pictures from yesterday without watermarks:) from DPA

Attachments

• cf.jpeg
    cf.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 196
  • ch.jpeg
    ch.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 191
  • ca.jpeg
    ca.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 202
  • cb.jpeg
    cb.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 192
  • cc.jpeg
    cc.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 191
  • cd.jpeg
    cd.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 196
  • ce.jpeg
    ce.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 205
  • cg.jpeg
    cg.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 182
It´s not just the weather. Maxima is on this trip for the topic microfinance, isn´t she? That´s financing for not so wealthy people, so it would be insensitive to wear expensive clothes for such occasions, in my opinion.
I think she looks wilted, too, but the humidity there is probably 90%, now that it´s summer there.
Can anyone tell me if you one can speak Portugese (for Brazil) if you speak Spanish fluently? I´m curious.

Xandra said:
Can anyone tell me if you one can speak Portugese (for Brazil) if you speak Spanish fluently? I´m curious.

Not necessarily, I for instance, am able to read and listen Spanish, but I can't read or write. Surely it's easier for Portuguese speakers to learn Spanish, but it's not like both languages are identical.

Little_star said:
I can't honestly see anything informal about her clothes, she's in a country which is incredibly hot so to wear smart suits everyday would be completely ludicrous. moreover I've seen other Royals dress in a similar fashion when on official visits to warmer countries.

In my opinion, when one is paying an official visit to a country, it is important to look professional and that usually means wearing "professional" attire. I had seen these photos without knowing the purpose behind the visit, I would've thought that Máxima was on a private holiday. I thought the canary yellow outfit was more suitable for a private afternoon lunch and the brown cardigan and ill-fitting white pants looks like she was shopping at a market on a Saturday morning. The definitive informal outfit for me was the close-fitting green jacket and the peasant skirt worn with the green sandals...The outfit is nice, and something that I would actually wear, however it is a big no-no in my opinion for an official visit. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=217868&d=1133354234

There are many ways to look professional and appropriate for an official visit without looking so casual and informal. The lavender suit that she wore today is a good testament to that, which is the only outfit that I like and have "approved of":)cool: ) so far on this trip.

Last edited:
pollyemma said:
I am so thrilled to see her in this lilac suit again.
I couldn't agree more! I love this colour on Princess Máxima too, it looks really well on such an elegant and simple suit.

It's great to see her on this trip, looking really relaxed and happy.

I like the lilac suit as well, very refreshing color which seems to suit Maxima very much.

The only problem with the suit, I feel is the length of the skirt. Its too short, the correct length should be below the knees.

Maxima today pictures from Colourpress:)

Attachments

• ca.jpg
    ca.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,884
  • cb.jpg
    cb.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 213
  • cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 242
  • cd.jpg
    cd.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 273
  • ce.jpg
    ce.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 264
  • cf.jpg
    cf.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 230
  • cg.jpg
    cg.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 209
More pictures from Colourpress

Attachments

• ch.jpg
    ch.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 216
  • ci.jpg
    ci.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 184
  • cj.jpg
    cj.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 217
  • ck.jpg
    ck.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 211
  • cl.jpg
    cl.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 199
Picture from today DPA without watermark:). Maxima visited the suburb Estrutural of Brasilia which was started with the increase of the income of the families who live there in 1998 by Microkrediet.

Attachments

• b.jpeg
    b.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
pdas1201 said:
I like the lilac suit as well, very refreshing color which seems to suit Maxima very much.

The only problem with the suit, I feel is the length of the skirt. Its too short, the correct length should be below the knees.

well it is definitely a little shorter than what we're used to on her. but hey, she's still got the legs to pull it off and it's very warm in Brazil so she's weather appropriate. I'm going to give her a pass.

This red outfit looks perfect on her! It's the only one I've "approved" of so far. :)

Dutch Princess Maxima, left, accompanied by Brazil's Postal Service president, Janio Pohren, arrives for a meeting in Brasilia, Brazil, on Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2005.

From polfoto

Attachments

• AP486152_guest.jpg.jpg
    AP486152_guest.jpg.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 208
  • AP486168_guest.jpg.jpg
    AP486168_guest.jpg.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 207
Misshelen -- infinite thanks for the pictures without watermarks!! They are so clear and I can see lots more details! However, I don't want to slight anyone who is posting photos since I don't know how to do it! I love seeing all that I can!

I also want to add that I am sooo happy to see both CP's Mathilde and Maxima bringing attention to Microfinance. One of my sisters works in finance and her job for a period of time was analyzing these small businesses for a bank to see if they qualified for loans. She travelled all over Latin America and Africa for her job and was both impressed and humbled by the hard work and creativity of many of these people, as well as, the utter poverty they lived in. I am thrilled to see the two CP's bringing attention to such a worthy cause.

mishelen thank you for all those beautiful pictures from colourpress!!

i loved it. my favourites were the lavender outfit (didn't like the shoes though... again the same type of shoes in different colour), the ivory purse and that white and red jacket. looks beautiful, really natan.
nice to see all the places she visited and how many people she met. the photos with the mum and her baby are specially sweet.

Last edited:
Xandra said:
It´s not just the weather. Maxima is on this trip for the topic microfinance, isn´t she? That´s financing for not so wealthy people, so it would be insensitive to wear expensive clothes for such occasions, in my opinion.
I think she looks wilted, too, but the humidity there is probably 90%, now that it´s summer there.

I completely agree with you. She is visiting one of the poorest countries in the world and its people. She is perfectly dressed for THAT SPECIFIC ocassion

you are so right. it would be insensitive to wear expensive clothes there. mette marit was looking really simple and using normal clothes when she went to malawi, and that was obviously to get to know the people better. also, she was going to be in the forest, or in the middle of a tiny village meeting people doing normal lives there and obviously not dressed in tie and suit, so there wouldn't be much reason to wear high heels and skirt there and a pair of normal trousers and a t-shirt are definetely the most protocolar thing to use in that specific situation.

about the language thing, no... it's easy to understand written portuguese when you speak spanish but not really easy to understand people talking. i don't know how maxima could communicate with the people: perhaps she learnt a little bit of portuguese (some useful words) or the people knew a little bit of spanish/english.

Xandra said:
Its much more easier than learning dutch. I speak spanish and can understand portuguese, so she probably understands what is being said to her or around her,but to speak it is a whole different matter.

carlota said:
about the language thing, no... it's easy to understand written portuguese when you speak spanish but not really easy to understand people talking. i don't know how maxima could communicate with the people: perhaps she learnt a little bit of portuguese (some useful words) or the people knew a little bit of spanish/english.
When she worked for the banks in New York, she was often in Brazil, Chile, Mexico and Argentina. She visited there banks, factories, mines etc. So perhaps she can speak portuguese already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom