Princess Máxima Visits Argentina: December 4-7, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
translation from http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/content.jsp?objectid=10709 :

HRH Princess Máxima of the the Netherlands brings of Sunday 4 December till and Wednesday 7 December at Argentina.

She does this as a member of the Group of Counsellors for the International Year of the micro credit. The Princess will speak there with representatives of governments, central banks, private banks, (micro-)financieringsinstellingen, kredietnemers and NGO'S. De emphasis lies on the development of micro financing and the more accessible make of the mechanisms for microkredietverlening for the population.

In Argentina, Princess Máxima visits the province Jujuy, where she speaks with Banco Mundial the drawer Mujer and their customers on a market.
In Buenos Aires they a speech holds over micro financing on the Universidad Católica the Argentina. Furthermore speaks they with representatives of financings institutions and with their customers in the suburbs of the city. Also in the Argentinean capital they conversations leads with governments representatives and the President of the Central Bank.

The General Assembly of the United Nations has 2005 exclaimed till International Year of the micro credit, in the hope and expectation that governments, banks, commit and not-gouvernementele organizations together a large leap forwards will make on this order. She closes near it at on one of the Millenniumdoelstellingen on developments territory: half ring of the world-wide poverty for 2015.

The Princess is accompanied by her trip to South-america by the two other Dutch UN-counsellors for the International Year of the micro credit, ma. Marilou of Golstein Brewers, manager International Funds by Triodos Bank, and Jhr. ma. Diederik Laman Trip, old-chairman of the board of ING the Netherlands.

3 November 2005

Magazines are writing that Amalia will celebrate her 2nd brithday in Argentina, so I assume she will take them with her.

Marengo said:
Magazines are writing that Amalia will celebrate her 2nd brithday in Argentina, so I assume she will take them with her.

Máxima will take her children with her to Argentina. Máxima's parents will take care of Alexia and Amalia.

A pity for Amalia that she celebrates sinterklaas (dec 5) abroad. I onder if the queen would otherwise dress up as Sinterklaas, like Queen Wilhelmina did for her own grandchildren ;).
Let's hope Willem-Alexander will be able to join his family for his daughters birthday.

Please note that I've moved all the posts regarding what Maxima refers to her homeland and how she is a princess of both Holland and Argentina to the Current News Thread for Crown Princess Maxima.

I have been asked to try and keep this thread as clean as possible for the actual Argentinian visit. So if you have additional comments to make, please refer to the above thread and please leave this thread specifically for the visit itself.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Alexandria
Dutch Forum Moderatoar

Marengo said:
A pity for Amalia that she celebrates sinterklaas (dec 5) abroad. I onder if the queen would otherwise dress up as Sinterklaas, like Queen Wilhelmina did for her own grandchildren ;).
Let's hope Willem-Alexander will be able to join his family for his daughters birthday.

um, I cant imagine queen Beatrix dressing as Sinterklaas. she made it obvious from day 1 that she would be a different kind of queen from her mother and I think this is one of the areas where this would manifest itself.

as far as i know, parents or grandparents dressing up as sinterklaas is a very common thing in holland. no one i know does it and my own parents certainly never did...:D

Maxima gave 3 interviews about her trip and about micro-credit in general, one to dutch newspaper 'NRC-Handelsblad', one to 'La Nacion', and one to 'Clarin'. In the NRC-Handelsblad she also said that she will celebrate Sinterklaas in Argentina, and she will tell her daughters that he comes everywhere :).

Here a translation from 'Clarin' , provided by poster 'Lotte' on the Benelux-Royals MB:

Translation:

[SIZE=+1]Máxima Comes In The Name Of The UN To Promote Microcredit[/SIZE]
She’s an economist and was asked to travel as a UN advisor, with the aim of stimulating the financing of the poorest.

2005 was designated by the UN as the "international year of microcredit". Argentinean Máxima Zorreguieta, Princess of the Netherlands, was invited to join as a member of the UN’s advisory board to promote this activity all over the world. Máxima, who’s an economy graduate, will arrive on 4 December to Argentina to take part in a series of activities related to microcredit. She’ll participate in a meeting where the NGO Planet Finance will be formally presented. Its representative in Argentina is Alfonso Prat-Gay, former head of Banco Central [Argentina's Federal Reserve Bank]and the Princess’ former teacher at Universidad Católica.

- You have a past professional experience in the financial system. Could one interpret your participation in the promotion of microcredit as a recognition that banks are incapable of attending to the needs of the poorest?

- The fact that the poor don’t have access to financial services tells us that the products of the financial system aren’t adapted to this group of population. Microcredit has a very innovative and interesting aspect. Since it’s very expensive to offer credit or accept very low deposits with the existing distribution chain, not all banks would be in position to offer that kind of service. Yet banks can help. The sector still needs capital and professionalization in many aspects, and those are the areas where the whole banking sector can intervene actively. I decided to collaborate with the UN because I firmly believe that giving credit to a person is to offer him the opportunity to get out of poverty.

- What’s your personal contribution?
- I have worked with the aim of increasing the knowledge and the diffusion of microfinance as an instrument to fight poverty, of informing that it’s not only a charity system, but a system that should be profitable in order to perpetuate, that should have a qualitative and quantitative data base, which can measure the effect of a wider access to financial services in a country’s economical and social development. I have sought private sector support and action and have kept myself informed about the politics that hinder the growth of microfinance sector.

- According to your experience, governments help, hinder or are indifferent to this kind of initiative?

- Available data show that access to financial services has an inverse correlation with their realization by national governments. That is, in countries with strong government-controlled bank entities, access to financial services is very low. It doesn’t mean that the government can’t play a role in favoring the development of this sector, more specifically, by not putting a ceiling on the interest rates charged by those institutions or by trying to make the sector the most competitive possible. Furthermore, not only a stable macroeconomic policy, but also clear property rights and an effective legal system promote to a great extent this sector’s growth.

- Which existing microcredit initiatives have you contributed to or participated in in Argentina?

- Our contribution is actually linked to the sector’s development as a whole. If there are microcredit initiatives that need more funds or more training, of course we’ll try to help them or will connect them with people that can help them.

- What would be the recipe to expand microcredit in Argentina?
- Institutions can start as NGO’s, but soon after they should increase in quantity and quality. And by quality I mean that those institutions should seek efficiency and profitability. Once there are enough entities that take deposits and offer products in an efficient way, we can say that the sector is consolidating. But to that end one needs time, just imagine that it doesn’t change overnight!

link in spanish: http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/11/27/elpais/p-02001.htm

And Lotte translated the interview in 'La Nacion' as well:

Translation:
[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]"I'm overly happy to do something for Argentina"[/SIZE]
She'll come to promote microcredit
"In Argentina there's much to do in the microcredit sector, since the country has one of lowest rates of access to financial services of Latin America."

- What do you expect from this first working trip to Argentina?
- I hope I’ll be able to talk with all people involved in the microfinance sector in the country. The idea is to improve public knowledge about what a wider access to financial services means in economic and social development. For instance, we’ll talk with the national microfinance committee, with Banco Central [Argentina’s Federal Reserve Bank], with associations that congregate microfinance institutions, with banks, as well as with government officials and politicians, in order to see how one can help the development of this sector.

- Why did you decide to be part of this advisory board? Were you invited to or did you volunteer?

- I was asked to, but I would have gladly volunteered! I decided to be part of this group because I firmly believe in the positive effect of microfinances as an antidote against poverty for three reasons:

Firstly, because I believe that it’s much better to give people the opportunity to earn their own money, instead of donating money to them. When one is given a microcredit, one is given the opportunity to multiply his efforts to get out of poverty. This person knows better than anybody else how to spend or invest the money and to determinate what he’s most lacking. Moreover, money generated from an established activity means a constant income to the family.

Secondly, the trust placed by the institution lending the money and the generation of his own income dignifies the person. This is very important, because out of it a much valuable chain of respect is formed in that sense: “I’m respected, and because of that, they lend me money, but me too, I have to respect them and pay the money back on time.” And that kind of respect relocates from business to civil order. In Africa, for instance, the fact the women can generate their own income has given them a voice inside their community, something that they didn’t have before. Microfinances bestow the nowadays much talked about “empowernment”.

Thirdly, microfinances have developed in such a way that offering a necessary product to the population in need can also be something profitable. Which means that the sector’s growth won’t depend on donations.

- Is it the first time that you accept to play an advisory role or have you ever done it before?
Well, this is the first time I work as an advisor to the United Nations, but I have performed as a counselor in other themes, such as the integration of immigrant women in Dutch society.

- Did you ask to travel to Argentina?
- Actually, we decided that with other counselors. In Argentina, there’s much going on in this sector, but there’s still much to be done. The country has one of the lowest rates of access to financial services in Latin America. In order to change a bit this situation, the microfinance sector in Argentina could also learn from other Latin American countries which are in a more advanced stage concerning this theme.

- Would you like to do something for Argentina in your new position?
- I’m of course overly happy to be able to do something for Argentina. And that’s why I’ll be there, for I believe that, if I can add to the development of the microfinance sector in the country, I’ll have contributed with my grain of sand to increase the chance of many Argentineans to escape poverty.

- By means of which mechanisms can the access of population to microcredit be facilitated?
- The microcredit system is a mechanism which differs much from conventional banks. This implies that one has to be where the client is, which often means that one can’t have a branch in every corner, since it’s expensive, especially when we’re talking about very small products, low credits and deposits. That’s why another kind of client approach has to be developed, in order to make access easier. There are many examples, like working with post offices (in the Brazilian Northeast), or having a bus that goes from one place to the other (in Kenya, the Equity Bank) or simply a credit officer that can cover many places and talk with clients. In the Philippines and Bangladesh, money transfers per telephone or PDA are already used. The microcredit system must grow. Right now we have in Argentina between 22,000 and 25,000 clients, which is still few. We lack capital, knowledge, technical experience and a favorable regulatory frame.

- How can microcredit help people?
- Experience has proven that microfinances can help increase the income of the needy. They can help create sustainable businesses for this sector of population and reduce their vulnerability to external impact. Socially, it’s an instrument that grants power to the poor, first and foremost to women, and help them change their situation inside the community. The whole family benefits from the income rise, since one invests in better food, better education, better housing and better health. Finally, it’s about dignifying people, giving them the opportunity to multiply their efforts to get out of poverty. Moreover, clients are also advised on how to increase profit in their businesses.

- How can microcredit help fight poverty?
- The comparative analysis of the increase in annual average poverty rates, the availability of private credits and gross national product in the last 20 years prove that countries with the highest rate of private credit could reduce poverty faster. An example: in Chile, where private credit rate is 54% of GNP, poverty rate decreased 14% between 1987 and 2000. On the other hand, in Peru, where private credit rate is only 13% of GNP, poverty rate increased 19% between 1985 and 2000.

But I always say that microfinances are not a panacea to fight poverty. Many more elements, such as education, health and other infrastructural goods are needed? Microfinances can promote economical growth and all its social detachment through the backing of microentrepreneurs, who are, after all, the motor of economy.

link in spanish: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/exterior/nota.asp?nota_id=759886

thanks a lot for the articles marengo! i really find it great that she gives interviews talking about useful things and about her work, rather than being interviewed by any other magazine to talk about how her life is, how her life changed... i think this is far more useful. maxima seems really interesting and intelligent in both of them.

maxima is today in "gente" from spanish newspaper EL MUNDO.

The wife of the heir of Holland, Argentinian Maxima Zorreguieta, will visit her land as assessor of the UN to promote the 'micro-credit' in her country. The objective is to encourage the financing for the poorest sectors. "I am really happy to be able to do something for Argentina. And therefore I will be there, because I believe that if I can contribute al development of the sector of microfinance in the country, I am going to contribute my granite of sand to enlarge the possibilities of many Argentinians of leave the situation of poverty", indicated the princess. (Photo: AP)

Last edited by a moderator:
From Revista Semana (Argentina) in Spanish.

Semana.jpg

http://www.semana.uol.com.ar/edicion...pa/nota_00.htm

reading the interview I have to say that if maxima answered the questions herself, ie. someone else didn't do it for her, she is one of the most intelligent princesses, it is easy to forget that she had a career in finance before becoming a princess.

It would be "queen of people with low resources"...regarding the purpose of the trip to Brazil and Argentina (microcredit)...maybe someone could help you better...my english is not good, sorry.

Elise27 said:
reading the interview I have to say that if maxima answered the questions herself, ie. someone else didn't do it for her, she is one of the most intelligent princesses, it is easy to forget that she had a career in finance before becoming a princess.

In one of the argentinian newspapers (Clarin) they said that she personally answered the questions herself, through the Embassy of Netherlands in Argentina.
I agree with you, I think she is the most intelligent princess and she is demonstrating it.

saphills said:
It would be "queen of people with low resources"...regarding the purpose of the trip to Brazil and Argentina (microcredit)...maybe someone could help you better...my english is not good, sorry.

Neither is my english, that makes two of us. ;) But I think I get what you mean. I thinke that 'pobres' means about the same as the french word 'pauvres' and that I understand very well... thanks saphills! :)

I think it's Queen of the poor
She seems very happy by doing the job. It's wonderful to see it.

No doubt Maxima will receive a rapturous homecoming!

william and the kids are here!

in the article of the spanish magazine titled "the queen of the poor" it says that the hole family arrived last sunday 27. they went to a country house in moreno, and a few hours later, just maxima took an aeroplane to brazil.

dollymoncla said:
in the article of the spanish magazine titled "the queen of the poor" it says that the hole family arrived last sunday 27. they went to a country house in moreno, and a few hours later, just maxima took an aeroplane to brazil.
Willem was still in The Netherlands yesterday, so I guess only Amalia en Alexia are in Argentina.

Princess Maxima is in Brazil for 4 days and her kids are staying with grandpa and grandma, but wouldn't little princess Alexia miss her mom? after all she is just 5 months old..Maybe the nanny went with them.

can't wait to see maxima in argentina!! been looking so forward to see photos of her working in her own country... :) now finally the day has come...
i guess she is now in argentina with her family for three days and will start official duties the 4th... she deserves it...

carlota said:
can't wait to see maxima in argentina!! been looking so forward to see photos of her working in her own country... :) now finally the day has come...
i guess she is now in argentina with her family for three days and will start official duties the 4th... she deserves it...

Yes, she's finally here:) :D !!!!!!!!!!!!

It's going to be a great homecoming....

Looks like Mr. Nieboer has start his coverage. He photographed Maxima's Parents' House in Buenos Aires

(photos from seegerpress, dec 2, 2005)

Attachments

• pre-SEEGER00151864.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00151864.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 362
  • pre-SEEGER00151865.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00151865.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 318
  • pre-SEEGER00151866.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00151866.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
purple_platinum said:
It's going to be a great homecoming....

I'm soooo looking forward to this visit. It think it will wonderful to see Máxima in her own country. It may sound stupid, but everytime I visit the region of the Netherlands were I am born I feel so toroughly happy (I don't live there anymore and I probably won't live there again in future...sigh ;)), so I think one can not imagine what Máxima must feel when she is returning to her home country. I think she must be delighted!

This was posted by Lotte from BRMB (so thanks to her...)

Translation of an article published by Los Andes On line:

[SIZE=+1]Máxima Zorreguieta Will Arrive As A UN Advisor[/SIZE]

Princess Máxima will visit Jujuy Province on Sunday 4 and Monday 5 November. She'll arrive to Jujuy [the capital city] at 16:00 on Sunday in a private jet in order to visit endeavors in the heartland and to meet with province governor Eduardo Fellner. In Maimará, 80km north of the capital city, the Princess will visit CauQueVa aboriginal communities cooperative, where potatoes, vegetables and handcraft are produced. CauQueVa officials forwarded a fax with the Princess' official schedule, sent by the Embassy of the Netherlands in Argentina.

The Princess will then visit Purmamarca, at the foot of Siete Colores hill, one of the most beautiful of Humahuaca ravine. The town was built around its 1648 central church, and Máxima will stay there for the night.

On Monday, her suite will travel to the town of Perico, 35km south of the city capital. There, the Princess will take part in a reception and a work meeting at the Banco Mundial de la Mujer [Women's World Banking] branch office. She'll then visit two clients of this bank, a broom manufacturer and a potato chips producer.

Later, she'll meet with various clients at the Feria de Minoristas de Perico [Perico's Retailers Fair] and with the town mayor Rolando Ficoseco. After what she'll leave for San Salvador de Jujuy, where at 12:00 she'll take part in a reception and in an exhibition at the Banco Mundial de la Mujer office, and then have lunch with governor Fellner.

The Princess, who's travelling with an entourage of eleven people, including two assistents, security personnel, employees of the Dutch Embassy in Buenos Aires, members of the Argentinean Information Service and representatives of Dutch financial institutions, will leave Jujuy airport to Buenos Aires on Monday around 15:45.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom