Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane, News and Events Part 1 (Jan 2022 - present)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
attachment.php

Welcome to Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane of The Netherlands News and Events, Part 1

7 December, 2021​

The previous combined thread for the princesses and their elder sister can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited:
I just saw this video that included a video of an earlier king's day (2018) in which Alexia is 'star struck' because she saw 'Olcay from Wie is de mol (WIDM)' [who is the mole --> i.e., who is sabotaging each task trying not to be noticed] (that season had just aired (January-March)), so apparently, at least in previous seasons the family watched this popular Dutch tv-series.

(this short fragment -all in Dutch- is included around 1:20)

Last edited:
That's sweet. ?

And a testament to King WA and Queen Maxima bringing up three relatively normal daughters.

Has already been announced what Alexia will do after her Baccalaureate in Wales, that ends this May?

As she is expected to work and make a living I imagine a University education is next for her. Perhaps she will take a gap year and join her sister at the University of Amsterdam.

I wouldn't be surprised if she also takes a gap year. Not sure if she would join the University of Amsterdam though (Amalia is the very first to do so because she was interested in the specific degree program they offered), she might for example prefer Leiden (where her father, grandmother and great-grandmother studied) instead or attend one of the other universities (for example, the eldest Van Vollenhoven brothers went to Groningen, while PC went to Utrecht; Alexia's uncle Friso went to the Technical University of Delft). It will also depend on her interests: what discipline would she like to delve into? And of course, she could also consider staying abroad. As she is not the heir, she has a bit more freedom.

To give an overview of the previous generation:
Willem-Alexander: History at Leiden University (after one and a half years in the military: Royal Navy)
Friso: Aerospace Engineering Management at Delft University of Technology (after studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, USA)
Constantijn: Law at Leiden University and Business Economics at INSEAD (Fontainbleau, France)

Maurits: Economics at the University of Groningen (after one and a half years in the military: Marine Corps/Royal Navy)
Bernhard: Economics at the University of Groningen (one year at Georgetown University, USA)
Pieter-Christiaan: Law at Utrecht University and an MBA at IMD (Lausanne, Switzerland) - after several years in the military (Royal Military and Border Police)
Floris: Law at Leiden University (after a gap year focused on learning Spanish)

The Palace announced today, May 15, that Princess Ariane will continue her education at the United World College Adriatic in Italy after the summer break:

Her Royal Highness Princess Ariane of the Netherlands will continue her secondary education at the United World College Adriatic in Italy after the summer. She will go there for her International Baccalaureate. Princess Ariane is now in the fourth grade at the Christelijk Gymnasium Sorghvliet in The Hague.

The period of the princesses' school time is private. At the express request of the parents, the media is called upon to continue to respect the privacy of their daughters.

** koninklijkhuis.nl: Prinses Ariane naar United World College Adriatic **

Apparently, the schoolsystem appeals to the princesses.
Good luck to princess Ariane.

Not completely surprised but still... another choice that distances the royal family from their fellow country men. But at least a different UWC than the one in Wales.

Not completely surprised but still... another choice that distances the royal family from their fellow country men. But at least a different UWC than the one in Wales.

I think it is desirable that there is a distance indeed to the Royal House. The Princesses outdoors and overseas effectively mean less stories "We have had Alexia in our kitchen, she just drank Heineken directly from the bottle and burped all the way, nothing princessely at all!"

I would say a posh secundary school in The Hague is already distant enough for most people. We never heard any stories of Amalia in The Hague while we did get to see one or two things of Alexia in Wales. I can't blame Ariane for picking sunny Trieste on the Adriatic Sea over rainy Wales ;).

I would say a posh secundary school in The Hague is already distant enough for most people. We never heard any stories of Amalia in The Hague while we did get to see one or two things of Alexia in Wales. I can't blame Ariane for picking sunny Trieste on the Adriatic Sea over rainy Wales ;).

Probably because Amalia and Alexia have a different attitude, and Alexia doesn't mind appearing on social networks with certain attitudes (and in these two years she has appeared in more images than those that appeared in the press). Leonor was also in Wales, but they were asked not to upload photos of her on social networks and they have complied, for being teenagers they have been very respectful.

Ariane's cousine Eloise did her secondary education at the posh Van Maerlant Lyceum, and seeing her career as a wanna-be Pamela Anderson, and a silly gravinfluencer, hmmmm, maybe the United Colleges are somewhat more Tüchtig for young adolescents than the no holds barred Dutch schools.

I think it is good that Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane are on a distance. Princess Catharina-Amalia is also at a distance, due to circumstances. I think she now wishes to have chosen Madrid or Buenos Aires instead of Amsterdam. Swapping to another school would be seen as "capitulation" to threats but I feel the Dutch will understand the choice.

Does the princess speak Italian?

Her father and his two (now one) uncles are the joint owners of Rocco dei Dragoni in Tavarnelle Val di Pesa (close to Florence in Tuscany). This was the princesses' regular summer desination until their parents bought the villa in Greece.

It seems the princesses traditionally go to Italy to spend the Easter holidays with grandma Princess Beatrix. We may assume they speak Italian, which is not too difficult if they already speak Spanish.

Last edited:
I can't blame Ariane for picking sunny Trieste on the Adriatic Sea over rainy Wales ;).

Lol that was the first thing I thought too.

I didn’t realise there were so many and one in Maastricht too.
Clearly Alexia has had a positive time and whetted Ariane’s appetite.

More information on UWC Adriatic. Unlike some other UWC's, this one doesn't have a campus but is located in different buildings in the village of Duino (1/2 h north of Trieste and only a few km from the Slovenian border). This college puts special emphasis on music, so, that might also be something that attracted Ariane.

More information on UWC Adriatic. Unlike some other UWC's, this one doesn't have a campus but is located in different buildings in the village of Duino (1/2 h north of Trieste and only a few km from the Slovenian border). This college puts special emphasis on music, so, that might also be something that attracted Ariane.

Her aunt Princess Christina was a musician and the Duchess of Kent is a musician too. But it is hard for me to see a career in music for Princess Ariane, other than become a Lady Patroness for the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra or a Lady Patroness of the Princess Christina Concours. Maybe it is more about Ariane's personal growth than directed to a future career in music.

Interestingly Alexia is the one that I knew of to be musically inclined. She packed and posed with her guitar while heading off to Wales.

The Duchess of Kent taught music at a primary school. I don't see why Ariane couldn't do the same if she chose to. Or if she performs music with a group or orchestra that doesn't seem to be problematic. She is expected to make her own way in life anyway.

The Dutch royal family do speaking Italian

Does the princess speak Italian?

Since the late queen Juliana & prince Bernhard years, they both have bought the Italian villa "L'Elefante Felice" in Porto Ercole (Italy) at the Adriatic coast, With the reign of queen Beatrix it was then sold and queen Beatrix bought a villa in Tavernelle{Italy).

The house in Porto Ercole was sold in 2011 to the Belgian billionaire Alexandre van Damme (InBev). He had it demolished as restoration was too expensive. The RF bought the land from the Borghese family. Q. Juliana was supposedly often received by the Italian aristocracy of the area. I don't know if these friendships continued in other generations. I believe Princess Chistina's daughter Juliana has settled in Tuscany.

It is unlikely that Ariane already speaks Italian. Any vacation there must have been short - and for some years the family prefers Greece. Dutch schools don't have the Italian language as one of the subjects. English, German, French and sometimes Sapnish are more frequent. If she knows the language it must have been a private wish to study it.

The house in Porto Ercole was sold in 2011 to the Belgian billionaire Alexandre van Damme (InBev). He had it demolished as restoration was too expensive. The RF bought the land from the Borghese family. Q. Juliana was supposedly often received by the Italian aristocracy of the area. I don't know if these friendships continued in other generations. I believe Princess Chistina's daughter Juliana has settled in Tuscany.

It is unlikely that Ariane already speaks Italian. Any vacation there must have been short - and for some years the family prefers Greece. Dutch schools don't have the Italian language as one of the subjects. English, German, French and sometimes Sapnish are more frequent. If she knows the language it must have been a private wish to study it.

Recently I heard that the grandchildren of Princess Beatrix have the tradition to spent Easter with her, at Rocci Dei Dragoni in Tavarnelle Val di Pesa.

I agree it is unlikely that Princess Ariane would speak fluently Italian because of this. But as she is able in Spanish and she is joung, it must not be too difficult to learn Italian from a handsome cavaliere named Guiseppe, Alessandro, Gabriele falling in love with a charming principessa dei Paesi Bassi...

:lol:

This Saturday Alexia's graduation ceremony in Wales will take place, any info on the DRF to attend?

I haven't heard anything about it, but probably the RF will see it as a family event and it will not be anounced publicly.

I'm searching, but no photos of the Princess (and no sight of the Queen) yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom