New Year's Holiday in Dubai: 2008-2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Robijn

Moderator Emeritus , Royal Blogger
City
-
Country
Netherlands
TRH the Prince and Princess of Orange and their children, HRH Princess Amalia, HRH Princess Alexia and HRH Princess Ariane, are celebrating the new year in Dubai. They left 2nd Christmasday.

A reporter was in the same plane as the family and told RTL Boulevard.

Is this a private holiday, or will the Prince and Princess make appearances at events and meetings?

It sounds like a private holiday to me. I hope they have a wonderful new year together.

Isn't that one of the places on their state visit coming up on the 17th of January? Maybe they will just stay. That seems crazy even as I write it, for I am sure there are different security measures for private trips and state trips, but I don't know! Who would bring Maxima all her clothes and jewels. Maybe I could get that job. HEHE

If they would stay untill the official visit starts, what about the kids, would they also stay, but Princess Amalia has school, so they (the kids) would have to go home.

TRH the Prince and Princess of Orange and their children, HRH Princess Amalia, HRH Princess Alexia and HRH Princess Ariane, are celebrating the new year in Dubai. They left 2nd Christmasday.

A reporter was in the same plane as the family and told RTL Boulevard.

Pity it leaked,they'll enjoy privacy for the rest of their stay anyway.
The family will return sunday as Amalia has to start school again on monday after the Christmas holidays.

TRH will visit Oman and the UAE from the 17th of january onwards to january 20th,when the official visit
will end in Dubai after visiting Abu Dhabi the previous day..

Maybe it is connected with the upcoming trip, they were invited etc. Apart from that, I sometimes think don't they have a home or not enough to do with their own issues as Dutch CPs?

Yes it is important that people look beyond their own walls but sometimes I get the impression that they have become kind of Global CPs, they are everywhere, Argentina, Holiday here, Skiing there, Maxima on Al Jazeerah etc etc. I am sometimes missing the connection to what they are supposed to do, talking and taking care of Dutch issues, at home, not always abroad. Maybe there aren't any or they are occupied by others so Maxima can do the job of a global Microfinance expert? To be clear, I love the fact that Maxima is one of the few CPs with an own profile / field of interest / taken seriously etc and I see the benefit of the issue - I am only missing the Dutch connection to it the bigger and more global it gets.

They both do plenty 'at home' so I guess I miss your point. They are talking and taking care of dutch issues as well. Those don't always get a lot of media attention but they difentely do!
I am glad they travel a lot. Soon enough they will be king/queen and won't be able to do all the things they are doing now. As for her going on Al Jazeera: good for her. She has spoken plenty on dutch telly about MF. Microfinance btw is also something which is happening IN Holland as well, not just in third world countries

Maybe it is connected with the upcoming trip, they were invited etc. Apart from that, I sometimes think don't they have a home or not enough to do with their own issues as Dutch CPs?

Yes it is important that people look beyond their own walls but sometimes I get the impression that they have become kind of Global CPs, they are everywhere, Argentina, Holiday here, Skiing there, Maxima on Al Jazeerah etc etc. I am sometimes missing the connection to what they are supposed to do, talking and taking care of Dutch issues, at home, not always abroad. Maybe there aren't any or they are occupied by others so Maxima can do the job of a global Microfinance expert? To be clear, I love the fact that Maxima is one of the few CPs with an own profile / field of interest / taken seriously etc and I see the benefit of the issue - I am only missing the Dutch connection to it the bigger and more global it gets.

So/Your Grace must have missed out on a row of things national here.Out of 365 days the couple,or each on his/her own/with kids are abroad maybe 30 to 40 days all in all.They do have a rather busy schedule at home too,but since going abroad seems to be not as common to most as it is to many others,it only seems as if they "do nothing else",which is nonsense ofcourse.Just check the "Current Events" threads and /or the Royal agenda from time to time and you see they are among the very busiest among their collegues,both here and abroad,yes.

I somehow knew this was coming lucien :hiding:

I may have missed it because I neither live in the Netherlands nor do I follow their current events threads constantly (only the Maxima fashion thread - shame on me). The international media focus is usually on the international activities what may create such an impression.

It's at least unusual - others rarely have activities abroad unless on official visit. On the other hand, they do a lot what others don't or can't do or are not allowed to do and it seems to work for their people. Good for them, it makes them fittest for survival among the young generation of Royals (Prince Charles doesn't count here).

So/Your Grace must have missed out on a row of things national here.Out of 365 days the couple,or each on his/her own/with kids are abroad maybe 30 to 40 days all in all.

The 30-40 days are the days we know about. If there had been no Boulevard reporter on the plane, we might have missed this short abroad trip and who knows how many other trips we did miss already. Mind you, I think they work hard enough and deserve some spare time off. But the same goes for a lot of people. W&A are very privileged that they can afford this.

The 30-40 days are the days we know about. If there had been no Boulevard reporter on the plane, we might have missed this short abroad trip and who knows how many other trips we did miss already. Mind you, I think they work hard enough and deserve some spare time off. But the same goes for a lot of people. W&A are very privileged that they can afford this.

And they are very much aware of that too bettina.But then there's always that isn't it,one flies the globe,others fly their brooms.

Oh,Your Grace,get out from under that chair!!
Others do less abroad,true,not meaning ofcourse they are less fortunate equipped in the brain department let alone anywhere else,
but what's true is true,Alex and Máxima are one of a kind.Glad you agreed.:flowers:

Review of the countries Máxima visited during 2008(includes the visits we've seen pics of or the ones we've heard of)

5x Argentina(2x january, 1 april, 1 june, 1 october)
2x Austria(february and august)
?? Belgium
?? Mozambique
2x Spain(may and june)
2x USA(july and september)
1x Luxemburg(february)
1x Camerun(march)
1x China(august)
1x Paraguay(october)
1x Poland(october)
1x England(november)
1x Qatar(november)
1x Rumania(november)
1x Egypt(october)
1x UAE/Dubai(december)

Review of the countries Máxima visited during 2008(includes the visits we've seen pics of or the ones we've heard of)

5x Argentina(2x january, 1 april, 1 june, 1 october)
2x Austria(february and august)
?? Belgium
?? Mozambique
2x Spain(may and june)
2x USA(july and september)
1x Luxemburg(february)
1x Camerun(march)
1x China(august)
1x Paraguay(october)
1x Poland(october)
1x England(november)
1x Qatar(november)
1x Rumania(november)
1x Egypt(october)
1x UAE/Dubai(december)

WOW, even flying on plane that's quite an impressive list. I get tired even by looking at it.

Does anyone know where they are staying in Dubai right now or where they will stay in Januari? Could it be the Burj al Arab or the Atlantis Palm Hotel ? According to the web there are still rooms to book for just a few thousand dollar.... Oh, what a life :flowers:.

WOW, even flying on plane that's quite an impressive list. I get tired even by looking at it.

Does anyone know where they are staying in Dubai right now or where they will stay in Januari? Could it be the Burj al Arab or the Atlantis Palm Hotel ? According to the web there are still rooms to book for just a few thousand dollar.... Oh, what a life :flowers:.
I agree, I am tired also. I wonder why Dubai, I don't know much about it except what I have read or has been on the Travel Channel, but is it a place for families? I just read about the extravagance and the shopping but there must be some theme parks or something? Anyone know more about it?

I agree, I am tired also. I wonder why Dubai, I don't know much about it except what I have read or has been on the Travel Channel, but is it a place for families? I just read about the extravagance and the shopping but there must be some theme parks or something? Anyone know more about it?

Don't know why ... but what I know is that they will have a quiet New Year's eve ... according to gulfnews the Dubai government has decided to welcome the New Year in somberness as long as people are dying in Gaza.

Gulfnews: Dubai residents welcome decision to greet New Year with somberness

I agree, I am tired also. I wonder why Dubai

Maybe because Dubai doesn't have many paparazzis to follow them around ;) and also because the country has good facilities for entertainment and shopping.

Wonder why you all get tired?Doesn't take much for each does it.:rolleyes:

Dubai is a booming tourist/financial destination since a few years,and gaining popularity here in The Netherlands.

Yes,it is a place for families too,and on extravagance,you can make it as extravagant as it gets.Everywhere in the world,not just there.

Good destination,and besides,visiting friends,Princess Haya of Jordan,spouse of the ruler of Dubai,they'll have a great time.:flowers:

Wonder why you all get tired?Doesn't take much for each does it.:rolleyes:

Dubai is a booming tourist/financial destination since a few years,and gaining popularity here in The Netherlands.

Yes,it is a place for families too,and on extravagance,you can make it as extravagant as it gets.Everywhere in the world,not just there.

Good destination,and besides,visiting friends,Princess Haya of Jordan,spouse of the ruler of Dubai,they'll have a great time.:flowers:

Yes, it is a booming tourist destination, but it is also one of those places with a sometimes strange treatment of incidents which appear normal to Europeans. E.g. stoning for adultery (happened not in public but within the home) ... only after an urgent action of AI it was changed. Not quite the place I would like to support IMHO.

Pff Dubai in the middle of a financial crisis!:nonono: That just seems to out of touch with reality. In my opinion, really appalling.

What a pity the dutch people are forced to pay for such extravanges !!!

Pff Dubai in the middle of a financial crisis!:nonono: That just seems to out of touch with reality. In my opinion, really appalling.

But I can't say it surprises me. It's very them to do a thing like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

What a load.You get to Dubai for the price of Egypt.Going anywhere in this so-called financial crisis,caused by greedy s*ckers btw originating where you are from..:cool:,is great for the local economy,thinking of Dubai even I have to grin in that respect,but yeah,tough luck some go everywhere,others can't find their broom fast enough,some prefer whining,others have friends...

And private trips are privately taken care of.Not the dutch in the streets money...but then you wished for some effect didnt ye ...Yeah,thought so...

Last edited:
What a load.You get to Dubai for the price of Egypt.Going anywhere in this so-called financial crisis,caused by greedy s*ckers btw originating where you are from..:cool:,is great for the local economy,thinking of Dubai even I have to grin in that respect,but yeah,tough luck some go everywhere,others can't find their broom fast enough,some prefer whining,others have friends...

And private trips are privately taken care of.Not the dutch in the streets money...but then you wished for some effect didnt ye ...Yeah,thought so...

What are you talking about "wished for some effect", uhm sorry to break it to you but this is a MESSAGE BOARD where people are allowed to express and voice their opinions about royals, and please save your defensive bullsh*t to yourself, I am allowed to critisize whom I like to and I will continue to do so !

Uhm I'm not talking about the price of the flight, but in case you didn't know Dubai is known for a lavish lifestyle. Your sentences arn't even making sence, I'm not even getting half of what you're saying - Do you know what punctuation is btw?! And actual arguments ?

What are you talking about "wished for some effect", uhm sorry to break it to you but this is a MESSAGE BOARD where people are allowed to express and voice their opinions about royals, and please save your defensive bullsh*t to yourself, I am allowed to critisize whom I like to and I will continue to do so !

Uhm I'm not talking about the price of the flight, but in case you didn't know Dubai is known for a lavish lifestyle. Your sentences arn't even making sence, I'm not even getting half of what you're saying - Do you know what punctuation is btw?! And actual arguments ?

Critisism is ok,as long as it has some thruth in it,if not,you find me in your way,dahling.Oh,and I know Dubai,have you ever been yet?Such fun!
If you love sand and tacky.

Last edited:
Yes, it is a booming tourist destination, but it is also one of those places with a sometimes strange treatment of incidents which appear normal to Europeans. E.g. stoning for adultery (happened not in public but within the home) ... only after an urgent action of AI it was changed. Not quite the place I would like to support IMHO.

I understand what you're thinking Avicenna, I just want to say that Dubai is not exactly Afghanistan or Iran.
Of course it's a very strict country but things are changing. This is an interesting article about women and Dubai.

Does seema little odd that they would spend their Euros in such a repressive society, but maybe they got a discount!

:flowers:
I understand what you're thinking Avicenna, I just want to say that Dubai is not exactly Afghanistan or Iran.
Of course it's a very strict country but things are changing. This is an interesting article about women and Dubai.

Thank You, Regina, this definitly is an interesting article. Thank you for sharing.

At least something seems to move, it is good to see that these educated young woman has a future. Also good to see that there are discussions going on giving these girls a future.

Sorry Saga but a lot of people go on vacation to Dubai these days. It's certainly not for only the rich people anymore. A lot of dutch people go there these days as well. And in comparison to certain other arab states, it's pretty modern.

i'm sure the reason why they are visiting is because of the improved connections that their soon to be official trip to the emirates and oman caused. i'm sure TRH were in touch with the sheikh and his family when organizing it and it surely came up that they should visit privately. i wouldn't find that uncommon, considering the dutch couple seem to be quite good friends of a number of royal members.

besides, on the claim that they are spending "taxpayers" money, i'm very afraid that the dutch royal house is quite clear and transparent with what regards their expenditure, so i'm sure that if they wanted "lavish" they are paying it out of their own purse.

I hope the girls enjoy the trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom