King Willem-Alexander's 50th Birthday: April 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heu... the refurbishment of Noordeinde 66 as a pied-à-terre for Princess Beatrix with a prize tag of ca. 4 million Euro. The restoration of the Glass State Carriage (1,2 million Euro) and of the Golden State Carriage (1,2 million Euro). The restoration and refurbishment of Huis ten Bosch Palace (60 million Euro). The new Boeing 737 Business Jet for King and Government (89 million Euro). The temporary offices at Villa De Eikenhorst (400.000 Euro). The future annual allowance of Princess Amalia (1,5 million Euro when she becomes 18 years old). The suspiction of having artworks looted from Jews in WWII. (After a long and exhausting investigation only one painting, bought by Queen Juliana at an auction somewhere after the war, had a looted Jewish origin and was returned to the heirs). The suspiction that Prince Bernhard had made a deal with the Government back in 1972 about taxation of the Royal House (still under investigation), etc. etc.

All of these items have stirred some rumours in media and politics but it all ebbed away pretty soon, I must say. Possibly because the State enjoyed (and still enjoys) favourable Budgets: there is more income for the State than is spent. And on 265.000.000.000,00 of annual State expenditures it all is relative.

Oh LOL... How could I forget about all that... I guess my brain classified it as fidgeting about heritage that has to be kept in good state anyways... :lol:

Only a few royal reporters and fans have complained about the private part being this private. One mentioned the costs for the dutch taxpayer of this private party. Apparently helicopters were needed to secure the Maasvlakte.

The king just gave the most open and honest interview of a Dutch royal in decades. He has opened up palaces, stables and collections for people to see, he allows the press/ photographers at functions where his mother did not, etc.

I agree with Hannelore that their press advisors seem to be very competent. It helps that the media is more than ever under pressure and that the interns working at printed and online press mostly copy/paste much of the information they receive to save time and put content online.

But still ... would it have killed them to release a group photo of the royal guests, as was done at both Wa's as Maxima's 40th birthdays. At beatrix 60th the camera's were there for most of the day, and were allowed to film -among other things- the reception in the stedelijk museum and the tour and concert and train trip to palace het Loo and the arrival of guests to the palace ball. I did see a guestlist on all occassions too.

The awnser is of course: no. It would not have killed them to make a group photo or let the royal guests -who are used to press attention- be photographed upon arrival at the palace. It is strange that they decided to shield their guests as if it was a state secret this time. Why the need for such secrecy? Even queen Beatrix never went this far. Is the presence of daddy Zorreguieta more of a problem now WA is king? I doubt it. But that they chose to protect the identities of their guests to such an extend is IMHO bizarre.

Anyway, nobody cares except a select group of royalty watchers and reporters so why should the king? The dutch press voluntarily agreed to be muled by signing the media code.

We can fortunately look forward to the celebrations in Norway, as to me the one here ended with a disappointment. In Scandinavia they still do these things properly though it is likely that the heirs will make changes in due time.

Last edited:
Felipe and Letizia don't look happy with forced smiles, having to pose for the press because of the location, while all other royals obviously were able to move in privacy, Letizia hates being photographed in private, the Spanish RF hate being pointed out on the 'fluff' events that all the other royal houses do who are not as serious as the Spanish royals are, and now of all royal houses it's them splashed all over HOLA etc attending a private royal birthday.

So I wonder, why only F&L in that location exposed to the press, and nobody else?

i actually thought letizia was quite happy showing off her new outfit (and who wouldn't like to show off that beautiful dress?!) ;)

there was speculation in another thread that they may be at the hotel because they didn't bring their kids, in order to make space for couples who brought offspring. i don't know, but i imagine there's plenty of room in the palace to host any invited guests and their kids without space problems. :p

maybe they just wanted some more privacy after the event was over and thought they could have it in the hotel?

even though F&L seem to like keeping their privacy in intimate situations, this is one of those events that is 'semi-institutional' in my opinion. sure enough they are probably good friends with WA and maxima, but, in my opinion, F&L see it first and foremost as their duty to attend these sort of events - proof of that is that it was sofia's birthday on that weekend, and they chose to go to the netherlands instead. as good friends as WA and maxima may be, your kids will always come first so it is clear to me they are attending mostly because they are expected to.

First post

Since it is my first post, hello to everybody here.

My idea: It is possible that F and L only arrived in the afternoon because they had a small birthday celebration for Sofia in the morning and perhaps therefore they were the only royal guests in that hotel. A flight from Madrid to Amsterdam takes only a bit over two and a half hours.
Is it sure that other royals had their young kids with them or is that only speculation by the press? I cannot imagine Victoria and Daniel taking their kids along because they had to leave already on Sunday morning in order to be present at Carl Gustav's birthday celebration. Thus, they did not attend the lunch at Eikenhorst.

I think WA did a lot for the public, a lot more than other heirs usually do:
(correct me if I'm wrong)
- had 3 personal pictures released
- did Kingsplay
- did very personal interview
- did Kingsday with the whole family
- did a dinner with 150 commoners with similar birthday and a super selfie in public in front of the palace
- then had a private birthday dinner with family, friends & other royals.

Of course it would have been perfect to have a short photocall for all guests a la Letizia & Felipe, this is what happened at the 40th birthday party.

I agree with those who think that the DRF have very clever press advisors, even though they have the press gagged they come across as super authentic and approachable, they bring their daughters along and introduce them to events with the public etc etc.

That's much more than other heirs do and we'll see, what they will do, now that they are approaching 50 as well, Felipe next January and Frederik next May.

i saw this picture of WA's 50th birthday banquet. to the right of the picture, the lady wearing white seems to be wearing a large hat. this was an evening reception where you can see the queen wearing a long dress (and other guests). from the pictures i have seen there weren't other ladies wearing hats. is it correct etiquette to wear a hat for an evening banquet inside? i assume the lady was wearing a long dress, but i may be wrong.

http://us.hola.com/imagenes/hola-en...ay/0-50-747/image-filename-900x540-king-a.jpg

I think WA did a lot for the public, a lot more than other heirs usually do:
(correct me if I'm wrong)
- had 3 personal pictures released
- did Kingsplay
- did very personal interview
- did Kingsday with the whole family
- did a dinner with 150 commoners with similar birthday and a super selfie in public in front of the palace
- then had a private birthday dinner with family, friends & other royals.

That's much more than other heirs do and we'll see, what they will do, now that they are approaching 50 as well, Felipe next January and Frederik next May.

This was the 50th celebration of King W-A, not the heir. I don't follow the Dutch royals but it seems they make a much bigger thing of all birthdays not just this one. The next 50th is King Felipe. I can't comment much on that as I don't know how they usually celebrate birthdays.

After that, it's the 50th of Crown Prince Frederik. A year from now we'll see how that is celebrated but I doubt it will be as big as this.
He would pretty quickly be accused of not knowing his place or upstaging the regent or some such. ;)

:previous: Why? For wishing to see some footage from the party?
Well, that's pretty much why we are here, isn't it?
That's what we hope for.

And not being Dutch myself, I nevertheless don't think the Dutch people would mind if the palace doors were opened a little bit more on this occasion. ;)
No, I meant that you compared them by not sharing a picture with someone not sharing on Facebook what others have done for their birthday. Which in itself is a ridiculous notion.

Kingsday is celebrated nation wide and the DRF have put in a lot of appearance these past days. More than you will ever get with other families. That said, barely any Dutch person cares that he wishes to have a private party, we don't expect them to share everything with the nation. People who turn 50 generally tend to celebrate in a big way here. It's tradition.

This was the 50th celebration of King W-A, not the heir. I don't follow the Dutch royals but it seems they make a much bigger thing of all birthdays not just this one. The next 50th is King Felipe. I can't comment much on that as I don't know how they usually celebrate birthdays.

After that, it's the 50th of Crown Prince Frederik. A year from now we'll see how that is celebrated but I doubt it will be as big as this.
He would pretty quickly be accused of not knowing his place or upstaging the regent or some such. ;)

Sorry for misunderstanding, I was responding to critizism regarding WA cutting the public off by keeping everything private and not even releasing a group picture (until now) as I think that he has done a lot publicly, more than is peers usually do. Its a pity we see zero apart from a few bus/car shots and Felipe and Letizia posing at the hotel, but this is as much as we got from Prince Charles for his 60th birthday.

Of course Frederik is CP and his public celebrations won't be comparable because he is not King yet, but I am sure we will get photos of other royals who will come to the private birthday party. The nordic royals are usually very relaxed about that.

Regarding Felipe as King, we will see nothing comparable to WA, not with the public and especially not with a private party he will certainly have. The SRF don't have a history of being as folksy or approachable as the Dutch, just to mention Queens/Kingsday of past and present, unthinkable in Spain Felipe will take part in a contest of who can throw a loo how far etc. My guess is they will publish some pictures and maybe an interview to strengthen his image as serious King.

The DRF is really loved by the public, most of all because of the touch of genius choice of wife that WA did, thanks to vavoom Maxima the republican movement is back at stone age and of course because of the way WA developed his own personality to the better, now being a content person with himself and his family and a competent monarch.

Of course all royal houses have to walk a tightrope, but the Dutch do it pretty well/have mastered the art of walking a tightrope in all aspects.

The most remarkable is that all other Royal Houses have been silent as well. No leaks, which is an achievement these days...

The most remarkable is that all other Royal Houses have been silent as well. No leaks, which is an achievement these days...
like he gagged the press, WA will be merciless in case of any leaks: no invitation for the next party! even though the greek royals like MC who are so fond of their instagram couldn't stop posting WA will certainly have no problem with a swan nesting in the park or Pawlos on a bike :)

i saw this picture of WA's 50th birthday banquet. to the right of the picture, the lady wearing white seems to be wearing a large hat. this was an evening reception where you can see the queen wearing a long dress (and other guests). from the pictures i have seen there weren't other ladies wearing hats. is it correct etiquette to wear a hat for an evening banquet inside? i assume the lady was wearing a long dress, but i may be wrong.

http://us.hola.com/imagenes/hola-en...ay/0-50-747/image-filename-900x540-king-a.jpg

Hats are not worn after 17.00/18.00 hours, so the lady made -strictly spoken- a gaffe but of course no one made a problem. All gentlemen wore black tie and I think 80% of the ladies were in long robe. Some chose for a normal dress. Gentlemen simply can hire or borrow a costume. With ladies it will be more difficult, so understandably the fellow citizens chosen by lottery who did not want (or could not) spend too much, were excused.

No, I meant that you compared them by not sharing a picture with someone not sharing on Facebook what others have done for their birthday. Which in itself is a ridiculous notion.

Kingsday is celebrated nation wide and the DRF have put in a lot of appearance these past days. More than you will ever get with other families. That said, barely any Dutch person cares that he wishes to have a private party, we don't expect them to share everything with the nation. People who turn 50 generally tend to celebrate in a big way here. It's tradition.

Sorry, I did not realize it was such a terrible thing to say.

But I still stand by what I said.
King Willem-Alexander's B-day has been covered big time, with lots of official events, which is great.
He is being celebrated by the Dutch, great.

And then when other royals come to celebrate him, (We think, because apart from the Spanish Regent Couple we don't even know who is there!) - nothing...
Not even a guest list, not even a single group photo, no indication that such photos will be released.
From an international perspective King W-A being celebrated by other royals is one of the highlights.

And try as I might I can't find any precedence among the posts here that it's a Dutch custom not to publish photos from such a celebration. So I don't understand it. :ermm:
If they wish to protect their privacy, use a hired photographer and release the photos themselves.
It's not like they took their royal guests away on a trip to the Alps.

Okay, if the Dutch are happy and the Dutch press is happy, so be it. - But personally I'm a little disappointed.

Sorry, I did not realize it was such a terrible thing to say.

But I still stand by what I said.
King Willem-Alexander's B-day has been covered big time, with lots of official events, which is great.
He is being celebrated by the Dutch, great.

And then when other royals come to celebrate him, (We think, because apart from the Spanish Regent Couple we don't even know who is there!) - nothing...
Not even a guest list, not even a single group photo, no indication that such photos will be released.
From an international perspective King W-A being celebrated by other royals is one of the highlights.

And try as I might I can't find any precedence among the posts here that it's a Dutch custom not to publish photos from such a celebration. So I don't understand it. :ermm:
If they wish to protect their privacy, use a hired photographer and release the photos themselves.
It's not like they took their royal guests away on a trip to the Alps.

Okay, if the Dutch are happy and the Dutch press is happy, so be it. - But personally I'm a little disappointed.

couldn't agree more , the only reason that i expected photos is that there were foreign royals there and even a few monarchs at the party if he had the party with his family and the entire dutch royal family i wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't get pictures .
i'd rather if we don't get pictures from the annual ski vacation but get a group photo from his birthday party .

Last edited:
Just for the heck of it, this was 10 years ago when Willem-Alexander shared some of his private 40th birthday bash with photographers: Queen Mathilde: Flashback: Willem-Alexander's 40th birthday

Maxima was a different kind of blond, Friso still alive and well, the 3 Dutch princesses still tiny little cuties, Rosario & husband still together, Victoria didn't yet bring Daniel along and Letizia still carried her own nose. Iñaki & Cristina were invited... Would W-A have dared send them a card this time around? The joys of royal watching, n'est-ce pas? :lol:

I see Jeroen van der Meyde, a favourite of the King, made the two pictures. This probably means he has been commissioned by the King to make pictures in Noordeinde Palace and at the Royal Mews. I share my disappointment. It feels like great lovemaking but without happy ending, how to say it, a bit of anticlimax.

Just for the heck of it, this was 10 years ago when Willem-Alexander shared some of his private 40th birthday bash with photographers: Queen Mathilde: Flashback: Willem-Alexander's 40th birthday

Maxima was a different kind of blond, Friso still alive and well, the 3 Dutch princesses still tiny little cuties, Rosario & husband still together, Victoria didn't yet bring Daniel along and Letizia still carried her own nose. Iñaki & Cristina were invited... Would W-A have dared send them a card this time around? The joys of royal watching, n'est-ce pas? :lol:

:previous: maybe Inaki & Cristina were present and they are the reason F&L stayed at the hotel and we don't see a photo :D;)

I did not see any pictures of Princess Beatrix at these events. Did I miss her somehow?

She was there and most likely Jorge and María del Carmen (the in-laws) as well. But so far no pictures.

I wondered anyway why he celebrated his 40s birthday so big with publishing photos of all the royal guests. Usually most people I know start celebrating their big birthday only beginning with their 50s. And in contrast to his (lesser important) 40th no photos this time - indeed kind of strange IMO. I mean if it was Maximas 50s it'd be maybe more understandable.

For me it was because we got photos from the 40th which made me think we would get photos from the 50th. However I guess there is a difference in that the King has given more publicly for this birthday than the 40th. Back then he was the heir not the sovereign and this time he has done Koningsdag, a public dinner and an interview so I guess in his eyes he has done the public side and this was time for the private side.
I'm still secretly hoping for a group picture from the dinner (I'm thinking they did release a picture from the usually private heirs meeting before WA became King) but I can't complain if we don't get it.

Perhaps they will release photos later on, after making sure all the guests are cleared out.

and I notice nobody from the Danish Royal family!:whistling:

and I notice nobody from the Danish Royal family!:whistling:

Frederik had a sailing event 10 years ago, the Farr 40 Worldchampionship took place in Copenhagen that day.
We have no indication about the Danish Royals this year.
Fred has never been serious about royal birthdays/weddings, he preferred to be on his honeymoon when Felipe & Letizia got married two weeks after his own wedding.

Yes and no, the wedding of a heir to the throne is a State event and one could have argued that 2 weeks of honeymoon would have been sufficient to attend on time, but maybe Frederik and Felipe were not close enough to make that effort, who knows and it's off topic anyway.

Yes and no, the wedding of a heir to the throne is a State event and one could have argued that 2 weeks of honeymoon would have been sufficient to attend on time, but maybe Frederik and Felipe were not close enough to make that effort, who knows and it's off topic anyway.
The spanish Wedding was actually only 1 week after the danish Wedding. And at the time the engagement in Spain was announced the date for the danish Wedding had already been known.

Well,it is business as usual again this week for the DUTCH Royal Family.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom