King Willem-Alexander's 50th Birthday: April 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The spanish Wedding was actually only 1 week after the danish Wedding. And at the time the engagement in Spain was announced the date for the danish Wedding had already been known.

All in all it seemed bad timing to schedule two royal weddings, not simply that but those of heirs, only a week apart. I think this is one of those times that missing a wedding is understandable.

Birthdays are another matter. There is no obligation to attend them.

Frederik had a sailing event 10 years ago, the Farr 40 Worldchampionship took place in Copenhagen that day.
We have no indication about the Danish Royals this year.
Fred has never been serious about royal birthdays/weddings, he preferred to be on his honeymoon when Felipe & Letizia got married two weeks after his own wedding.
I get it but wonder how is their relationship, or friendship between William and Fred?

I get it but wonder how is their relationship, or friendship between William and Fred?

Judging from many photos and videos, it seems to be warm. Always big smiles and warm hugs. We could see that for example during the State Visit to Denmark last year and when they attended the birthday of Queen Margrethe.

In her speech at the State Banquet, Queen Margrethe said:
"It is a great pleasure to welcome two close friends and to mark the close relationships between our families and the peoples of our two countries.

It is a joy that the Prince Consort and I share with our family, and especially with the Crown Prince and Crown Princess"

King Willem-Alexander made the crown princely couple a Knight resp. Dame Grand Cross in the Order of the Lion of the Netherlands, the highest civic Order usually only awarded to heads-of-state. This is most exceptional, I can only think about The Princess Margaret as the sole foreign royal recipient who was no (consort to a) head of state, in 1948. It is clear the King holds Frederik and Mary in high esteem.

Picture: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-z8d02rCWB...00/Gala-Dinner-at-Christiansborg-Palace-4.jpg

I can see that guests seem to have had matching pink polos with W-A monogram and the number 50!

There were various colors of outfits as the royals and friends had to form teams for a sports' day at the beach and at the water. From what we could see a hindrance parcours was part of the games. A luxe ship was close to the coast, possibly to provide the guests a well-earned brunch aboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
BB confirms today that Mary and Frederik were present at the private party: Her er dit BILLED-BLADET | BILLED-BLADET

They cover the celebrations and since BB is not subject to the agreement between the Dutch RF and the press, we may hope for more details in the magazine version,which is on the streets tomorrow. - If so, stand by.

i don't think the fact that frederik didn't attend WA's party is an indication of their relationship. we saw well and clear how well both couples interacted during the dutch state visit. back in the wedding of victoria, we saw frederik snapping a picture of maxima and mary. i doubt one wants a picture with someone they don't like :p most recently, in the wedding of CP and sofia, we saw them eagerly chatting away.

on top of that, maxima and mary share their commitment to women empowerment, and we have seen them together attending a shared event in the hague (probably on maxima's invitation?)

The Norwegian King's 80th birthday celebration is this weekend, with a huge balcony appearance for all the assorted royals in attendance. Do you suppose the presence of another multi-royal photo op just one week after his party made W-A feel it was it less necessary to do the big posed group picture of all the royal guests or make his royal guests in some way available to photographers?

something that i didn't understand was the dress code as some of the male guests wore black ties and some wore t-shirts!

something that i didn't understand was the dress code as some of the male guests wore black ties and some wore t-shirts!

These are photos from two separate occasions. The T-shirts was during the day and black tie was in the evening.

The Norwegian King's 80th birthday celebration is this weekend, with a huge balcony appearance for all the assorted royals in attendance. Do you suppose the presence of another multi-royal photo op just one week after his party made W-A feel it was it less necessary to do the big posed group picture of all the royal guests or make his royal guests in some way available to photographers?
I don't think so! And there are rumors in Norway that they wont attend the 80's birthday celebrations.

I suppose it would look bad for the Dutch RF and other royal guests to be seen participating in two party weeks so soon after each other... I would not be surprised if Princess Beatrix will attend the Norwegian celebrations, perhaps with Princess Mabel. The Dutch king and queen also did not attend King Carl Gustav's 70th birthday.

But the agenda of the Dutch king and queen are empty on May 10th, so let's hope they will be present.

Last edited:
Summary covering the private party from Billed Bladet #18, 2017.
Written by Marianne Singer.

Apart from one photo of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima there are no photos from the private party.

However, BB reports that the royals present were:
Mary and Frederik.
Mette-Marit and Haakon.
Victoria and Daniel.
King Felipe and Queen Letizia.
Henri and Maria Teresa.
Guillaume and Stephanie.
Pavlos and Marie Chantal.

The party started in the afternoon with the whole party going to a beach near Rotterdam. Here the guests played, playing ball and running.
After a short break to change into long evening robes the party continued at the royal staples at Noordeinde.
Amalia, Ariane and Alexia took part in the celebration in the early evening, before retiring.

The royal guests departed after a brunch on Sunday.

Last edited:
Thank you Muhler! I am really sad we could not see photos of the ladies with the gowns! including a better photo of Maxima. I understand it was a private event butthey are public figures! It would have been nice just to see them arriving!

I don't think so! And there are rumors in Norway that they wont attend the 80's birthday celebrations.

Whether W-A is going to Norway is neither here nor there, I think. The photos we're missing are of all the others, many of whom will be at the next party.

Apart from one photo of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima there are no photos from the private party.

Mary and Frederik.
Mette-Marit and Haakon.
Victoria and Daniel.
Henri and Maria Teresa.
Guillaume and Stephanie.

The party started in the afternoon with the whole party going to a beach near Rotterdam. Here the guests played, playing ball and running.
After a short break to change into long evening robes the party continued at the royal staples at Noordeinde.
Amalia, Ariane and Alexia took part in the celebration in the early evening, before retiring.

Apparently, Alois, Sophie, Maximilian and Angela of Liechtenstein also attended.

Mary and Frederik.
Mette-Marit and Haakon.
Victoria and Daniel.
Henri and Maria Teresa.
Guillaume and Stephanie.

Someone said Fredercik went sailing at the time of the party, so what we should to believe?

Thanks for postiung the anecdote & link with more info. Did Gerdi Verbeet tell this to the press?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom