King Willem-Alexander, Current Events 3: Dec 2020- Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossina

Former Moderator
City
Country
India

Welcome to King Willem-Alexander of The Netherlands' Current Events, Part 3

December 3,2020​

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.

• It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
  • Text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
  • We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
  • The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
  • Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
  • will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

King Willem-Alexander video calls with representatives of organizations on Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba that are committed to combating the consequences of the corona pandemic

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoVEkx1W8AIetMc?format=jpg&name=medium

King Willem-Alexander speaks online with representatives of the Association of Spiritual Carers (VGVZ) about their work and the impact of the corona pandemic

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoVOJTQWMAAO9wf?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoVOJTZXcAAGbFw?format=jpg&name=large

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander has sworn in an new Ambassador for Libanon today, December 16:

** Pic ** anp gallery **

I can see how being in the room may easily make one dizzy.

Thank you for always keeping us up to date on the King's activities:)

How wonderful to see that room is used, it is the nicest room of the palace IMO.

Though the room is gorgeous there was nothing Festive about the King's 'Christmas Message' where was the Christmas tree?

Would someone be kind enough to summarize what was said.
I could never tell that it was a Christmas speech to be honest. No decorations or festive background.
It looked like an infomercial than an address to the people.

Fabulous Christmas Address, gorgeous scenery.

The Christmas tree was outside. I can not remember any Christmass Adress of a Dutch monarch with a Christmas tree inside. It is always with some view of the tree outside.

Would someone be kind enough to summarize what was said.
I could never tell that it was a Christmas speech to be honest. No decorations or festive background.
It looked like an infomercial than an address to the people.

So many faces.

So many personal stories.

That nurse in Zwolle, just after a long shift. How she empathized with her patients. "Nobody can put a hand on your shoulder," she said. "Only people in protective suits around you."

That doctor in Hoensbroek, in rehabilitation after she herself was struck down by the virus. Still too weak to pour a pan at home. But still intend to get back to work as soon as possible.

Those students in Breda, longing for normal student life.

And that production manager of the Shakespeare Theater from Diever who told me about that empty feeling: "Then you sit at home and you think: tonight we would have played Midsummer Night's Dream."

At the end of a tough year, this is not the Christmas we hoped for. We've all had to adjust our plans. Much that we have been looking forward to cannot continue and that is a disappointment.

In living rooms all over the Netherlands, chairs remain empty, while we would have been more than happy to bring in extra chairs.

My heart goes out to all those people whose lives have been turned upside down. People with a dream that has broken down. Entrepreneurs who see their healthy business capsize. People who feel lonely and don't know where to look.

Bottomless is the grief of anyone who has lost a loved one - through COVID or whatever cause - and feels they have not been able to say goodbye properly.

We humans cannot do without a loving look or an embrace. Forced distance is contrary to our human nature. I would like to thank everyone who has spent the last few months trying to comply with the regulations through trial and error. And anyone who is committed in any way to help us through this crisis or cooperate in making vaccines safely available.

The corona pandemic awakened the very best in us. Sense of responsibility. Compassion. Camaraderie. Helpfulness. Solidarity.

But she also confronted us with the sharp and uncomfortable sides of ourselves and society.

Moments of impatience and anxiety. Everyone will recognize it. They are understandable feelings. You finally want your trusted life back.

And then there is the uncertainty. We can't handle that very well. Sometimes it feels like insecurity is worse than a bleak perspective. We almost automatically assume that everything in life can be controlled. But this? This is beyond our grasp.

Anyone who is uncertain can look to firm ideas, images and standpoints. After all, by choosing a firm position, you make the world clear again.

We live in a time when you seem to be expected to take a stand.

Pro or con. Friend or enemy. We or them.

But what if you just don't know? When in doubt? Or sometimes change your mind?

Perhaps you don't feel at home at all with solid positions. You may find it annoying to have to take sides all the time, and you may be busy with very different things in your heart than the issues that are so fiercely debated every day.

You may be tired of excitement, suspicion, and fanaticism. Tired of the manic mind machine. You may be quietly craving a little mutual understanding. Relaxation. Ordinary kindness. And do you think: I am apparently an outsider.

Let me reassure you: you are not. You are indispensable. Even the soft voices deserve to be heard.

Sharp debates about outspoken views or radical ideas are part of a free society. They are necessary and take us further. Anyone looking for guidance in those views or ideas should not be left out.

But the hallmark of a free society is precisely that there is also room for nuance. For reasonableness and gentleness. For curiosity and research. For irony and self-perspective - always the best medicine for a pent-up mood.

And for forgiveness. An almost old-fashioned concept that plays a major role in the Bible. And that can be beneficial in this day and age.

We humans were not created to hate each other. A country in which people approach each other with a little love is a country in which people can feel at home, even in times of great uncertainty.

The apostle Paul put it very nicely: “Love is patient and full of goodness. She knows no envy, no conceit, no complacency. It is neither rude nor selfish, it does not allow itself to be angered or hold against evil, it does not rejoice in injustice but rejoices in the truth. ”

Christmas is traditionally the festival of the returning light after the darkest period of the year. We can rely on that in all uncertainty. Have patience. The sun returns. The light returns. 'Midsummer Night's Dream' will be played again. We will be able to meet and hug each other again.

I wish you all - wherever you are and whatever your personal circumstances - a blessed Christmas.

The Dutch pressed mostly picked up on this new expression by the king:

Tired of the manic mind machine --> should read: Maybe you are tired of the manic opinion machine.

The few people I've heard about it are very positive about his speech: a call to nuance (instead of polarization) - and he did so without demonizing anyone by expressing understanding that taking up a firm position might provide guidance in uncertain times.

Last edited:
Fabulous Christmas Address, gorgeous scenery.

The Christmas tree was outside. I can not remember any Christmass Adress of a Dutch monarch with a Christmas tree inside. It is always with some view of the tree outside.

Did we see the tree outside in the address?

It was refreshing to hear the King with a snippet of religiosity (quoting St Paul with "love is patient"). After all the King is a religious man and Christmas still is a religious feast.

It was refreshing to hear the King with a snippet of religiosity (quoting St Paul with "love is patient"). After all the King is a religious man and Christmas still is a religious feast.

The king wouldn't call him 'St' though ;) - his wife might but -as a true protestant- he called him 'the Apostle Paul'. He also referenced 'forgiveness' as a much needed biblical concept.

Did we see the tree outside in the address?

Yes, in the beginning and the end (view of Huis ten Bosch) and some tiny snippets of it out of the window. It was the same under Beatrix and also when the Address came from Villa Eikenhorst, never a Christmas tree in the room where the Address was recorded.

The Chinese Salon is so ornamental and rich in decoration, that a Christmas tree in there would be a mismatch. And the hundreds of lights from the chandeliers in the vestibule (peeping through the open doors of the Chinese Salon) looked like Christmas lights anyway.

I'm wasn't implying that they needed a Christmas tree in the Chinese room just that it was the most unfestive Christmas message so far .In the past we've seen the king by the fire or in another room with festive plants ,this years was dismal.

Last edited:
Here's a video of the King's working visit to the emergency services in Den Haag on New Year's Eve:

A nice visit by the King on NYE.

I wonder if this is the start of a 2021 PR campaign to improve the image of the king and RF after a year in the Dutch doldrums.

A nice visit by the King on NYE.

I wonder if this is the start of a 2021 PR campaign to improve the image of the king and RF after a year in the Dutch doldrums.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.

:previous: IMO this is a step in the right direction for the King.

100% PR limitation but a good step in the right direction.

King Willem-Alexander paid a digital working visit to the Isala Hospital in Zwolle this morning, January 6:

** Pic ** anp gallery **

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander speaks online with teachers and parents about the impact of home education on the work of teachers and the daily life of parents. Among other things, there are talks about learning disadvantages and increased work pressure

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErJK8FxW4AAj_3Z?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErJK8FwW8AASYBv?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErJK8FvXcAAJfsk?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErJK8FxWMAAoGDp?format=jpg&name=large

Yesterday, January 11, King Willem-Alexander swore in a new member of the Board of the Court of Audit:

** Pic **

Today, January 14, King Willem-Alexander paid a virtual working visit to 113 Suicide Prevention. Recent studies of 113 suicide prevention programmes and assistance and the impact of the corona pandemic were discussed:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** anp gallery **

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom