King Willem-Alexander, Current Events 3: Dec 2020- Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know if this gotten really worse? Ipsos is said to have made another poll, ending with the DRF loosing its reputation up to 70% .

https://www.economist.com/europe/2021/01/09/the-dutch-royals-are-botching-covid-19-etiquette

I am not aware of any recent poll. The family has been lying low since their ill-judged holiday in Greece in October. So, yes, a few months ago people were very much aware of this mistake. Nowadays many are fed up with the Covid-regulations themselves (that's why the government decided to loosen the restrictions a bit even though the numbers had stabilized at a rather high level - the media just reported that the current measures will remain for another 3 weeks; the PM will most likely confirm that early next week) and might spend a thought or two on the upcoming elections in 1 1/2 weeks; very few would still think about what the king and queen did or didn't do in October.

Not sure where the 70% is coming from though - but my expectation is that improvement rates will slowly increase - especially since the long political process of forming a new government will start later this month; so people will be concerned and probably fed up with the politicians instead.

King Willem-Alexander has paid a digital working visit to the organizers of the 2021 parliamentary election today, March 12:

** Pic ** anp gallery **

Most likely the municipality of The Hague kindly refused the offer out of fear for a massive storming by press and public, ignoring COVID-19 restrictions, to see how His Majesty does as member of the polling bureau.

Most likely the municipality of The Hague kindly refused the offer out of fear for a massive storming by press and public, ignoring COVID-19 restrictions, to see how His Majesty does as member of the polling bureau.

Would it not have been possible to make it known only afterwards

Would it not have been possible to make it known only afterwards
Only if all the voters there kept their mouths shut. With voting-offices opening at 7? in the morning, it would just be waiting for the first voter posting on fb or Twitter.

King Willem-Alexander received the new Ambassadors of India, Bulgaria, and the Dominican Republic this morning, March 17:

** ppe gallery ** rex gallery **

Last edited:
Couldn't they have picked another towel for that table. More suitable for a hotel that was never redecorated since the 1990s than for a royal palace.

I don't know. It matches the golden tones of the interior and as an obvious orange tone to it, which makes sense symbolically.

King Willem-Alexander paid a working visit to facilities of Woonzorg Flevoland (Residential Care Flevoland) this morning, March 25, and talked to nurses, counselors and residents about the "effects of the corona pandemic on home care, nursing home care and daytime activities":

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** ppe gallery ** anp gallery ** rex gallery **

Last edited:
The Dutch preliminary coalition talks today were halted because one of the 'explorers' inadvertently showed her notes (suggesting among other things that a different position needed to be found for one of the better known - but critical- members of parliament who on his own could have taken up 5 seats based on the number of votes; so now everyone is stating 'it wasn't me' who suggested it) while leaving the building after receiving the news that she had tested positive for Covid. Both explorers stepped down because of it; as this was a huge breach of confidentiality. Later in the day two new explorers were installed and the process will start all over again.

I wonder what the king (and former queen) is/are thinking given that previously coordinating this part of the process would have been their role - before Parliament decided they could do a better job and the monarch should have no part of it. Quite sure this wouldn't have happened in that case...

Last edited:
On twitter I have seen many opinion makers -many from the protestant newspapers/parties- holding a plea for getting the king involved again. Lodewijk Asscher -former leader of the Labour party- even posted a photo of a laughing Willem-Alexander. It seems these opinions have not translated into articles in the newspapers yet. But if the new scouts will mess up as well I assume the call will get louder.

The chaotic process seems to be a Laurel and Hardy film, going from one blunder to the next one. The failings of various ministers but esp. their refusal to abide by their own COVID-rules shows an arrogance that I find rather shocking.

If anything this gaffe by Ollongren gives the impression that the scouts are political stooges and not neutral actors who can/will treat each party equally. Trust will now certainly be an issue and fear that confidential things being leaked. This was seldom/never a problem when Queen Beatrix was still in charge. It will be interesting to see if constitutional experts -many of whom always doubted the new set-up- will weigh in.

Last edited:
I can not stand the Chair of the Second Chamber acting as if she is The Queen in, of all places, the Stadtholderly salons at the Binnenhof.

The personal office of Prince Willem V from 1790 is unchanged, still in original state, and used as décor for the formation talks). I find it (mis)using grandesse to give oneself a royal aura, as a surrogate to the King.

The personal office of Prince Willem V in original state for 230 years now, with handwoven silk gobelins (a restoration is in the planning for the coming years): https://www.tweedekamer.nl/sites/de...ages/stadhouderskamer_660_5.jpg?itok=kTjEWN9g

Today, March 31, the King Willem-Alexander paid a virtual working visit to NLvoorelkaar,the largest online platform for voluntary work in the Netherlands:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
I can not stand the Chair of the Second Chamber acting as if she is The Queen in, of all places, the Stadtholderly salons at the Binnenhof.

The personal office of Prince Willem V from 1790 is unchanged, still in original state, and used as décor for the formation talks). I find it (mis)using grandesse to give oneself a royal aura, as a surrogate to the King.

The personal office of Prince Willem V in original state for 230 years now, with handwoven silk gobelins (a restoration is in the planning for the coming years): https://www.tweedekamer.nl/sites/de...ages/stadhouderskamer_660_5.jpg?itok=kTjEWN9g

I could mention a few other things on her as well,but I refrain...this time...:whistling:

A motion to evaluate the process of cabinet formation (that went horribly wrong so far) was accepted; included is a sentence to consider whether the Head of State could be the desirable 'independent external party' that could fulfil the role of initial 'explorer' of the various options.

The whole lockdown so far only demonstrated (also for all other monarchies b.t.w.) all went blissfully well while the royals were nowhere but behind a camera. Apart from the hiccup about a clumsy depart for Greece, the royals have been pretty invisible and irrelevant, especially for those not reading these boards or watching Blauw Bloed.

Forget any new role for the King in the formation process. The Chamber has taken the reins and nothing will make them giving away the lead. Especially not with D66 as one of the victors of the Election: they were exactly the initiators of removing the unelected head of state out of the formation process (which is a not unlogic opinion in a democratic society, by the way).

Today, April 6, King Willem-Alexander opened the new high-tech warehouse of the 150-year-old CB, Centraal Boekhuis (Central Book House) in Culemborg. CB is a logistics service provider for the media and healthcare sectors:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** anp gallery ** rex gallery ** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
This morning, April 7, King Willem-Alexander received the new Ambassadors of the Philippines and Colombia.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** rex gallery **

Last edited:
Today, April 14, King Willem-Alexander talked to officials from Curaçao about the „increasing number of corona infections and the vaccination programme in Curaçao“:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

King Willem-Alexander meets today with the new Speaker of the House of Representatives Vera Bergkamp

https://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=6026857

https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=15-04-2021 Hague

King Willem-Alexander also pay a digital working visit to the Xtra Foundation. The King speaks with employees who support young people and with young people themselves about youth welfare in corona time.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzBrYDZWUAc-bZD?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzBrYDgXAAcFuqP?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzBrYDfW8AAYbzx?format=jpg&name=large

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander virtually talked to freelancers and representatives of The Association of Independent People in the Netherlands (VZN) today, April 15:

** Pic **

King Willem-Alexander paid a working visit to the General Intelligence and Security Service (AIVD) today, April 20:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Last edited:
This morning, April 21, King Willem-Alexander received the Ambassadors of Sri Lanka, Thailand and Tunisia:

** anp gallery ** ppe gallery **

In the afternoon the King swore in councilors in the Civil Chamber of the Supreme Court of the Netherlands:

** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom