King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, Current Events 1: May 2013 - Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
King Willem-Alexander didn't just attend. He made one of the most important speeches of his life: the one in which he apologized for slavery. The apologies were received with applause by the attendees.

See here for his full speech (in Dutch)

The part in which the apologies were made:
Wij dragen de gruwelijkheid van het slavernijverleden met ons mee. De gevolgen daarvan zijn vandaag nog steeds te voelen in racisme in onze samenleving.

Op 19 december vorig jaar heeft de minister-president namens de Nederlandse regering excuses aangeboden voor het feit dat mensen in naam van de Nederlandse staat eeuwenlang tot handelswaar zijn gemaakt, zijn uitgebuit en mishandeld.

Vandaag sta ik hier voor u. Als uw Koning en als deel van de regering maak ik vandaag deze excuses zelf. Ze worden door mij met hart en ziel intens beleefd.

Translation:
We carry with us the horror of the slavery past. The consequences of this can still be felt today in racism in our society.

On 19 December last year, the Prime Minister apologized on behalf of the Dutch government for the fact that people have been made commodities, exploited and mistreated for centuries in the name of the Dutch state.

Today I stand here before you. As your King and as part of the government, I make these apologies myself today. They are intensely experienced by me with heart and soul.

Next, he went explained that these apologies also had a personal dimension; an excerpt:
Slavenhandel en slavernij worden erkend als een misdaad tegen de menselijkheid. De stadhouders en de koningen van het Huis van Oranje-Nassau hebben hier niets tegen ondernomen.

(...)

Het onafhankelijke onderzoek waartoe ik heb besloten, zal méér licht werpen op de precieze rol van het Huis van Oranje-Nassau in de koloniale geschiedenis en de slavernij. Maar voor het overduidelijke gebrek aan handelen tegen deze misdaad tegen de menselijkheid, vraag ik vandaag, op deze dag dat we samen het Nederlands slavernijverleden herdenken, vergiffenis.

Translation:
Slave trade and slavery are recognized as a crime against humanity. The stadtholders and kings of the House of Orange-Nassau did nothing against this.

(...)

The independent research I have decided upon will shed more light on the precise role of the House of Orange-Nassau in colonial history and slavery. But for the obvious lack of action against this crime against humanity, I ask forgiveness today, on this day when together we commemorate the Dutch past of slavery.

He also made sure to reference those that might not feel the need for these apologies by explaining that the majority of them, however, do support the fight for equality for all people. And called each one to support one another and allow for errors in this process of healing, reconciliation and restoration.

Many people were hoping that he would use his speech today to offer apologies, and he did, and the way he did it, seems to have been well-received.

Last edited:
Thank you somebody for sharing this! I just read about it in German paper "Die Zeit".
A great speech and he has gained a lot in my estimation. Other royals should follow his example, maybe they did and I missed it.
Other European countries as well as the USA come to mind.

Thank you somebody for sharing this! I just read about it in German paper "Die Zeit".
A great speech and he has gained a lot in my estimation. Other royals should follow his example, maybe they did and I missed it.

I read that several others (such as king Philippe) have stated their 'regrets' but not made apologies or asked for forgiveness.

While of course, this also depends on politics, the fact that our king is a historian is clearly recognizable in his speeches in moments like these (now and also the one in Indonesia where he apologized for the colonial past in that country).

I read that several others (such as king Philippe) have stated their 'regrets' but not made apologies or asked for forgiveness.

While of course, this also depends on politics, the fact that our king is a historian is clearly recognizable in his speeches in moments like these (now and also the one in Indonesia where he apologized for the colonial past in that country).
It's worth pointing out that King Willem Alexander's apology comes after that of the Dutch Prime minister. Monarchs have their hands tied on issues like this. No matter their personal convictions they can't offer any apologies without the support and wishes of their governments.

Last edited:
It's worth pointing out that King Willem Alexander's apology comes after that of the Dutch Prime minister. Monarchs have their hands tied on issues like this. No matter their personal convictions they can't offer any apologies without the support and wishes of their governments.

Exactly, that's what I meant with my reference to 'this also depends on politics', however, his speech included a very personal/family perspective as well. While he apologized as a member of the government (following previous apologies by the prime minister), the 'forgiveness part' wasn't a government request but a personal request related to his forefathers for "their obvious lack of action against this crime against humanity."

This speech was absolutely brilliant! Kudos to the King and his speech writers for it. I like the fact that the King mentioned that the implications of slavery is still felt down to this day with the racism in today's society. That was a very powerful statement that very few statesmen understand. I am also impressed that the King directly mentions the lack of action by his ancestors.

The King has set the standards for the rest of his colleagues in addressing the horrors of slavery.

I do think July 1st was a very significant day and that the Princess of Oranje as heir should have been present on this very historic day.

This speech was absolutely brilliant! Kudos to the King and his speech writers for it. I like the fact that the King mentioned that the implications of slavery is still felt down to this day with the racism in today's society. That was a very powerful statement that very few statesmen understand. I am also impressed that the King directly mentions the lack of action by his ancestors.

The King has set the standards for the rest of his colleagues in addressing the horrors of slavery.

I do think July 1st was a very significant day and that the Princess of Oranje as heir should have been present on this very historic day.

On Friday she was asked whether she would have wanted to attend. As she of course cannot say yes if it was decided that she woulddn't attend, she didn't directly answer the question but expressed a clear understanding of the day (celebration and/or commemoration) and indicated that she personally would reflect on the meaning of Keti Koti on that day.

It's time to close this thread. You can find a new one here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom