King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, Current Events 1: May 2013 - Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I wonder if there are other Kings with that same kind of intensive contact: every minister and every state secretary is received in audience. Probably in the Nordic countries. After that a few months, after all ministers have been spoken, the Cabinet as a whole is invited for a diner.

In the Netherlands it is also usance that a minister or state secretary accompagnies the King at formal visits. The King visits the headquarters of the National Police? The minister of Justice accompagnies him. The King visits an university? The minister of Education accompagnies him. Etc.

I think the crux is in the position of the Dutch King as an integral part of the Government itself as the Constitution reads: "The Government comprises The King and the ministers".

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima attended the gala for the 60th anniversary of the Dutch National Ballet in Amsterdam this evening, June 30:

** anp gallery ** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima pay a regional visit to the Peel in the province of North Brabant, including the municipalities of Deurne, Gemert-Bakel and Helmond, today, September 15:

** rex gallery ** ppe gallery ** anp gallery ** legion media gallery **

** gettyimages: NLD: King Willem-Alexander Of The Netherlands Dnd Queen Maxima Visit De Peel Province **

** dmgdeurne.nl article: Koninklijk paar arriveert in Deurne; na wandeling door Deurnsche Peel, gesprek met boeren bij Toon Kortooms Park **

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima met with representatives from the social and scientific field about the colonial past at Huis ten Bosch Palace today, September 27. It was the second meeting of that kind, King Willem-Alexander had met with other representatives in May:

** Tweede achtergrondgesprek over koloniaal verleden ** translation **

Today, December 13, King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima hosted one of their lunches for people who were recently honoured for their special achievements in various fields, such as " art, culture, media and journalism, science, healthcare, sports and business":

** Pic **

The gentleman next to Queen Máxima is the journalist and former current affairs TV-anchor Paul Witteman (laureate and recipient of the Honorary Silver Nipkow Disk 2022).

In 1997 Paul Witteman was the host of the first TV-interview of the Prince of Orange: (picture). That interview was held at Het Oude Loo Castle, the mediaeval lodge of the royal family, close to Het Loo Palace in Apeldoorn.

Last edited by a moderator:
That interview was held at Het Oude Loo Castle, the mediaeval lodge of the royal family, close to Het Loo Palace in Apeldoorn.

Isn't that the place that's used to house Ukrainian refugees?

Last edited:
The King and Queen slept on the Groene Draeck, Beatrix sailing boat.

The weather doesn't seem to have improved much, but the king fortunately got rid of his rain coat, which was the ugliest coat I have seen in a very long time.

That is very romantic, to sleep on a traditional Friesian sailing ship.

One would never guess so but it seems De Groene Draeck has a ladies' cabin for four persons, a gentlemens' cabin for two persons and two reserve sleeps in the salon.

Then there is the forecastle with sleeps for staff (with a separate entrance to the deck).

Of course De Groene Draeck is up to the highest standards (see the detailing alone: picture ) but I find it a quite modest ship for a King.

Last edited:

De Groene Draeck (The Green Dragon) is the name of the royal yacht - not of the harbor.

I hoped they would not only use it to sleep on but also to get from one island to the next (there are five 'Waddeneilanden' that are inhabited) but it seems they took a helicopter instead.

Last edited:
De Groene Draeck (The Green Dragon) is the name of the royal yacht - not of the harbor.

I hoped they would not only use it to sleep on but also to get from one island to the next (there are five 'Waddeneilanden' that are inhabited) but it seems they took a helicopter instead.

It is time consuming to sail with a sail-yacht from island to Island. I believe DE Groene Draeck has a motor but it is for assistance when the ship has to make manoeuvres, not for sailing.

A lot of mustard yellow. I do like the outfit, but maybe a black coat would be better, just to break the color scheme up. One can see the Queen coming!

There was also a visit to the Monastic community on the island of Schiermonnikoog,I was pleasantly surprised to see this as I thought there were no monks or nuns left in the Netherlands.
https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?start=0&zoektype=2&search=10-05-2023 Schiermonnikoog

At the moment there are some 4000 men and women in a relgious community in the Netherlands (monasteries and abbeys). 80% of them is over 70 years old, so the number of monks and nuns is decreasing fast.

The number of novices and postulants is some 50 per year. Also the number of parish priests is decreasing. There are a few seminaris but the only one with substantial numbers is in the big Abbey of Rolduc, in the South of the Province Limbourg: picture.

At the moment there are some 4000 men and women in a relgious community in the Netherlands (monasteries and abbeys). 80% of them is over 70 years old, so the number of monks and nuns is decreasing fast.

The number of novices and postulants is some 50 per year. Also the number of parish priests is decreasing. There are a few seminaris but the only one with substantial numbers is in the big Abbey of Rolduc, in the South of the Province Limbourg: picture.

Schiermonnikoog abbey seems to be a new foundation in the Netherlands.
It looked like a lovely visit too!

Schiermonnikoog abbey seems to be a new foundation in the Netherlands.
It looked like a lovely visit too!

The island is named Schiermonnikoog. Schier is old Dutch for grey, monnik is Dutch for monk and Oog is old Dutch for island. So "Grey Monk's Island".

The Cistercienses had grey habits (schier in old Dutch). This is indeed a return of Cistercienses after 500 years on the island named after them.

In presence of Queen Máxima King Willem-Alexander has awarded the Honorary Cross of the House Order of Orange to s M.H.G.E (Marilou) van Golstein Brouwers at Huis ten Bosch Palace today, May 15.

"The distinction was awarded to Mrs van Golstein Brouwers for her decades-long commitment to improving people's concrete living environment by promoting access to finance and the economy, as well as for her essential contribution - nationally and internationally - to the breakthrough of long-term thinking in the financial world. The award is also based on a special bond with the Royal House. As early as 2004, Mrs Van Golstein Brouwers worked with Queen Máxima on the advisory board of the International Year of Microcredit of the United Nations. There, the foundation was laid for Queen Máxima's position as the UN Secretary-General's special advocate for inclusive finance for development".

** ppe gallery ** koninklijkhuis.nl: Erekruis van de Huisorde van Oranje **

Sounds as if her work for queen Máxima was the deciding factor in awarding her the Honorary Cross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom