Caribbean Visit of King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima & Pss of Orange, Feb/Mar 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marika86

Heir Apparant, Royal Blogger
City
Villa San Giovanni
Country
Italy
Caribbean Visit of King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima & Pss of Orange, Feb/Mar 2023

Visit the Caribbean part of the Kingdom
News item | 01-09-2022 | 4:00 pm

His Majesty the King and Her Majesty Queen Máxima will visit the Caribbean part of the Kingdom at the end of January and the beginning of February 2023. Her Royal Highness the Princess of Orange will travel along and get to know the countries of Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten and with the islands that form the Caribbean Netherlands: Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba.

The Royal Company is supervised by State Secretary Van Huffelen of Kingdom Relations and Digitization.

RVD, no. 231

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/actueel/nieuws/2022/09/01/bezoek-caribisch-deel-koninkrijk

A more pleasant time of the year to visit the Caribbean!

It will be the first official trip of these characteristics of the Princess of Orange. It is good to see that the Princess of Orange is starting to integrate the agenda of the Royal House.

A visit to ALL 6 'Dutch' islands is rather unusual but indeed a very good opportunity for the Princess of Orange to get to known the Caribbean part of the kingdom.

Note that the words 'wordt begeleid' in Dutch in this context are to be read as 'are accompanied' instead of 'is supervised'. The Dutch royal couple doesn't need 'supervision' but of course it makes sense that the secretary of state (one level below a minister) of Kingdom relationships will accompany them on this trip.

Oh I can't wait for this visit!

A visit to ALL 6 'Dutch' islands is rather unusual but indeed a very good opportunity for the Princess of Orange to get to known the Caribbean part of the kingdom.

Note that the words 'wordt begeleid' in Dutch in this context are to be read as 'are accompanied' instead of 'is supervised'. The Dutch royal couple doesn't need 'supervision' but of course it makes sense that the secretary of state (one level below a minister) of Kingdom relationships will accompany them on this trip.

No,not unusual at all!!His parents took Alexander with them on the same tour,all 6 islands...and Prince Claus taught Alexander what sweet patatoes are and when best to plant them...he was the agricultural expert with a load of ezxperience in Africa as a child...No no,it will be great as a welcome tour to the Caribbean part of the country.They will love her,the dushi´s will sworm her

Friends of mine were on the same tour at the same time,but arriving on each island a day earlyer then the Royals...On St.Maarten Queen Beatrix noticed my friends again...and,an adjutant came and asked in the most friendly manner if they were following the Royals,and they answereed..Well no,you are following us!..The party had a laugh...

Last edited:
I like that in Bonaire the primary school children will perform with their learning orchestra. It is excellent when children show an interest to learn music.

The program seems not complete!

I am sure they will visit the Netto Bar in Otrabanda,Willemstad Curacao...!

The place is packed with photographs and autographs of the Dutch Royal Family ever since the late Prince Bernhard
set foot in it,and since then an `Orange` never fails to visit and have a glass of green rum!
All of them visited whenever each was in town,they still do.

I am really excited to follow this tour! And the Dutch comms team is excellent on Instagram so I know we are in for a treat! I really like how they are introducing Amalia to her duties.

Alexandra van Huffelen, State Secretary for Kingdom Relations, spoke about the visit today at radio1. She will accompany the royal party for the entire two weeks. Van Huffelen said that she hoped that Princess Amalia will be able to meet a lot of young people, officials and inhabitants of the islands in general. She added that a first official trip must be impressive to participate in for the princess.

Van H, said that she expected that various theses such as slavery, inflation, living conditions and nature preservation will be highlighted. She hopes that people will be able to speak with their hearts. It will enable the crown princess to learn all various aspects of the islands.

https://www.nporadio1.nl/nieuws/bin...ibisch-gebied-excuses-aanbieden-niet-het-doel

Looking forward to the visit. It will be interesting to see how Amalia experiences her first multi-day visit.

I would not have greeted the welcome party with sunglasses on. But okay, the arrival still is no official start of the visit.

:previous: I was about to say their outfits seem not formal enough, good to know it's not official part of the program.

Are we likely to hear Amalia speaking English on this trip? Does one of the islands speak English? Or am I misremembering?

Are we likely to hear Amalia speaking English on this trip? Does one of the islands speak English? Or am I misremembering?

Misrembering.

They all speak Dutch and most if not all speak english as well.And Papiamento ofcourse!!
There are more languages then just english.

Afaik until a few years back Dutch was a mandatory language on the islands so many of the people will speak and understand Dutch, but on f.i. St. Maarten and St Eustachius the most used language is English (and some others, like Papiamento), so i wouldn't rule out that Amalia may speak english on the trip
English is a mandatory language on many schools in the Netherlands, especially of the caliber the dutch princesses attend.
And Amalia is known (at least afaik) to be a good student and quite intelligent, so i'm sure she'll do really well :flowers:

On Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao the predominant language i think is Papiamento, i could imagine the dutch royals not being fluent in that, but Dutch is also an official language on those islands, so i wouldn't be surprised if that will be the language used at the first half of the trip

Though the islands are in one way or another connected to the Netherlands, in several islands Dutch is not the main language. As the RF will not know the local languages (beyond a "hello, goodbye, thank you" perhaps). English wil very likely the main language if Dutch is not possible.

Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius are Dutch municipalities overseas. Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten are independent nations within the Kingdom ("One Kingdom, Four Nations").

As Princess Amalia is at Bonaire now, a Dutch municipality overseas, she for sure will use Dutch as standard language.

But on all six islands Dutch and English are the languages in daily life. On Sint Maarten, which shares a border with French Saint-Martin, also French of course as there is intensive criss-cross traffic and trade between the two parts.

Misrembering.

They all speak Dutch and most if not all speak english as well.And Papiamento ofcourse!!

Indeed, I think it was a video with Princess Beatrix in it but then it may have been somewhere else.

Nowadays, a Queen is an ambassador of her people and a listening ear for the people. Honestly, Amalia seems to have all the quality to make a great Queen. It's almost a waste of talent, because it seems she's smarter than the job needs. She might even get bored with the job. She is probably ready to take over as Queen during her 30s. If her father makes her wait longer, I hope she will find interesting projects to focus on.

Well, she is only in her first year at university... If tradition is followed, she will be Queen in around 20 years time as the reigns of Juliana and Beatrix were around three decades. Willem-Alexander already is King for almost 10 years. Before we even realize, Amalia will be Queen.

Ages of ascending and abdicating of Dutch queens:
Wilhelmina: 10 - 68 (58 years - including 8 years in which her mother was regent)
Juliana: 39 - 71 (birthday) (31 1/2 years)
Beatrix: 42 - 75 (33 years)

Willem-Alexander ascended the throne a few days after his 46th birthday; Amalia was 9 at that time, so if he remains in good health he'll probably abdicate after 30-32 years on the throne (aged 76-78) which means that Amalia can expect to ascend the throne around the age of 40. Just like her father (and mother) I expect that in addition to her general preparation, she will use the next 20 years to specialize in a relevant topic and I would not be surprised if she will be involved with that topic at UN level - again followi g her parents' example.

Misrembering.

According to CBS (the Statistics Agency in the Netherlands), the most spoken first languages are on Bonaire is indeed Papiamento (2/3 of population), but on both Saba (93%) and St Eustatius (85%) the most spoken language is English. As a first language Dutch is only spoken by a small minority of the population: 15% for Bonaire, 6% for St Eustatius and almost nobody on Saba.

Nonetheless, a majority of the people is multilingual: 90% on Bonaire, 68% on St Eustatius and 57% on Saba. So, it seems speaking English as a first language makes it less likely that you speak other languages as well.

So, it might indeed be expected that the royal family will speak English in the second half of their trip - they will most likely be able to get by with Dutch in the first half.

[I will add figures for the other islands as I find them but this source (2014) only provided information on the 'special municipalities']

According to Worldatlas:
Languages on Curacao - as first language:
- Papiamentu: 82%
- Dutch: 8% - also the administrative and legal language
- Spanish: 4%
- English: 2%

On Aruba, Papiamento and Dutch are the official languages (although a very small minority speaks Dutch as a first language) and English is recognized as 'international language'. Besides, the influence of Spanish is growing. Other languages spoken include French and Portuguese. Most are fluent in 3-4 languages. (source: Worldatlas)

On St Maarten (source: Worldatlas):
- English: 65%
- Spanish: 10%
- Creole language: 10%
- Dutch: 5%
- Papiamento: 5%
- French: 5%

I love Máxima's proud mom look

And it looks like Amalia is wearing a fit bit

And Amalia already nails the 'how wonderful' look when receiving flowers from a child

More PPE-pictures have been added, including their visit to Sorobon Bay (showing Amalia sounding the horn for a wind surfing event) and a boating outing. The ladies did change into more comfortable shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ages of ascending and abdicating of Dutch queens:
Wilhelmina: 10 - 68 (58 years - including 8 years in which her mother was regent)
Juliana: 39 - 71 (birthday) (31 1/2 years)
Beatrix: 42 - 75 (33 years)

Willem-Alexander ascended the throne a few days after his 46th birthday; Amalia was 9 at that time, so if he remains in good health he'll probably abdicate after 30-32 years on the throne (aged 76-78) which means that Amalia can expect to ascend the throne around the age of 40. Just like her father (and mother) I expect that in addition to her general preparation, she will use the next 20 years to specialize in a relevant topic and I would not be surprised if she will be involved with that topic at UN level - again followi g her parents' example.

Yeah, I think so. Honestly, I think it will only take Amalia a few years to excel at the job as crown princess and then she will need a new challenge. A UN job would be great I think. We are very lucky with Amalia as crown princess. It seems she can handle great responsibility already, even though she's only 19 years old. It just takes her a few moments to get over her nerves (understandable because her secluded childhood and it's her first official visit) but then everyone can see she's a natural at the job. Which does not come as a surprise, because everyone already kinda knew.

Back
Top Bottom