Inauguration of King Willem-Alexander & Reception: April 30, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, very true. :)

Wonder what the Argentinians will come up with next?
Invade falklands and annexe them:lol:..You can contend as a rising power on par with India, Brazil etc..

It was a pleasure to watch the Inauguration ceremony. There is no doubt that Dutch monarchy is still popular and will stay strong for long time.

I must say i was very impressed and pleased by all the events today. After the early comments/complaints by the Mayor of Amsterdam I was expecting an even more low key event than in 1980. Todays ceremonies/celebrations were suitably grand and glittering. Bravo.

I do wish I had known that a few MPs apparently could not afford neckties, I would have sent them a selection of my own but fortunately today was not a day about politicians so will overlook their sartorial errors. Nice to see Gert Wilders had time to get to the hairdressers to have his platinum locks done for the ceremony. Dutch PM handsome and suitably well dressed.

So sad Friso couldn't be there...
And Why Bernardo Guillermo accompanied his mother? Where is his wife Eva?
It looks like Princess Carolina and Albert Brenninkmeijer didn't succeed to expand their brood...

I only caught a few minutes of the live broadcast. Is there a video of the whole inauguration somewhere?

As of today people can visit the Nieuwe Kerk and see everything intact as it was yesterday...except the Regalia...The church will be open for 3 days till 22.00PM..But there's a line of thousands and thousands waiting to get in right now.All the way from the main entrance on Dam Square all the way in front of the Palace,then around the corner and all the way around the back of the Palace to the back entrance of the church..Admission is 5 euro but that's peanuts for what's on view:flowers:

As of today people can visit the Nieuwe Kerk and see everything intact as it was yesterday...except the Regalia...The church will be open for 3 days till 22.00PM..But there's a line of thousands and thousands waiting to get in right now.All the way from the main entrance on Dam Square all the way in front of the Palace,then around the corner and all the way around the back of the Palace to the back entrance of the church..Admission is 5 euro but that's peanuts for what's on view:flowers:

Wow! That's pretty exciting!

I have the day off so I will try to see some videos of the inauguration, since all I have seen until now were pictures and some footage on the news. Here in Brazil all the news pay attention to the fact that the new Dutch queen is Argentinian. And talking about Máxima, any of her siblings were in the inauguration? I know her father wasn't allowed to go and her mother didn't come, but her brothers and sister/half-sisters?

Something I've just found:

https://www.facebook.com/entretulipas/posts/546722055380370
De Nieuwe Kerk Amsterdam

Last edited by a moderator:
I did think about Charles's future Coronation while watching the inauguration yesterday. I'm sure it must have ran through his mind and Camilla's too. His Coronation will be an event not to miss. You know the media coverage will be crazy of here in America.

I'm imagining lots of robes, tiara's, crowned heads, royal orders and military uniforms.

Last edited:
I did think about Charles's future Coronation while watching the inauguration yesterday. I'm sure it must have ran through his mind and Camilla's too. His Coronation will be an event not to miss. You know the media coverage will be crazy of here in America.

I'm imagining lots of robes, tiara's, crowned heads, royal orders and military uniforms.

I almost think that the more simpler enthronement ceremonies are more "homey" and warm. I feel that the British coronations are just so over done (no offense meant). In this day and age, I feel that the amount of pomp and circumstance portrayed at the British coronations are a time of the past and too grandiose for the new centuries! I really enjoyed the more simpler pomp and circumstance of the Dutch and other monarchs.

The Dutch enthronement was wonderful -the Swedish will be just as wonderful as well as the others. Yes, Charles and William after him will have beautiful and stunning coronations, which I will thoroughly enjoy watching, but I don't feel t will be as relatable or as "homey".

Thank you for all those very nice pictures you send.
It was a beautiful day yesterday and we have a lovely king and queen
with princesses !!!And we love princess Beatrix forever.

I see, its religious and non-religious. I thought at first that were those who agreed and others who don't, thankfully I was wrong.

But there was a women there who said something diferent than the two oaths, and people laughed. What did she say?

According to my wonderful Dutch step-mother, the woman pledged her allegiance correctly, but in the Frisian language, which is a legal language in the Netherlands!

I don´t know if this is the right place to post this, but the HOLA cover from this week is just beautiful. :wub:
W-A and Maxima look every inch the King and Queen, so regal! And the three princesses are so lovely. A great new royal family!
http://www.hola.com/imagenes/realez...-coronacion-holanda/0-235-323/HOLA3588--a.jpg

I love how HOLA has managed to choose a pic were Felipe and Letizia can be seen almost as much as the royal couple :p Oh, well, luckily for them they were placed just behind them in the group picture :ROFLMAO:

I almost think that the more simpler enthronement ceremonies are more "homey" and warm. I feel that the British coronations are just so over done (no offense meant). In this day and age, I feel that the amount of pomp and circumstance portrayed at the British coronations are a time of the past and too grandiose for the new centuries! I really enjoyed the more simpler pomp and circumstance of the Dutch and other monarchs.

Well, to a certain extent I agree with you, but lets just say that no-one does a religious enthronement as well and the British and no one does an abdication ceremony and secular enthronment as well as the Dutch! I do hope I live to see at least one British coronation, just to say I had!

I think the homey/warm feel to yesterday's events were in part to do with the people involved: the Dutch Royal Family, I think, are a great example of togetherness and familial strength and are quite happy to show their emotions and love for the people of the Netherlands without losing any regality. They manage protocol and formality with perfect ease and show ease at being amongst the people.

As for the actual enthronement ceremony itself, it made such great sense to me - it was secular, governmental, royal, relgious and domocratic all one go.

Official portraits of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands
Amsterdam, Netherlands - 30.04.13
WENN Photo Library - Search Results

Inauguration of King Willem-Alexander as Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands abdicates
Amsterdam, Holland - 30.04.13
http://photo.wenn.com/index.php?action=quicksearch&ppid=200597&version=caf

King Willem-Alexander, Queen Maxima during the inauguration at Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - 30.04.13
http://photo.wenn.com/index.php?action=quicksearch&ppid=200603&version=caf

King Willem-Alexander, Queen Maxima leaving after the coronation at Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - 30.04.13
http://photo.wenn.com/index.php?action=quicksearch&ppid=200607&version=caf

Inauguration of King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands
Amsterdam,Netherlands - 30.04.13

http://photo.wenn.com/index.php?action=quicksearch&ppid=200631&version=caf

I think the reason the British have such a grand coronation ceremony is in part due to the place in history of the British monarchy. How many other monarchs have 1000 years of history behind them!

I'd imagine that the Investiture Ceremony has given the church a massive tourism plug and now everyone wants to see this magnificent building in Amsterdam.

Later this month they will have an exhibition about Dutch inaugurations, which will attract many people probably. Their most visited exhibition thus far was about Dutch royal weddings.

-----

Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, president of Argentina, yesterday remarked in an event at the presidential palace: 'we have a pope and now we have a queen. Máxima has Argentine blood'. She reacted to a journalist who on tv had said that WA's inauguration meant nothing to him. Fernandez de Kirchner disagreed: 'that is not the case, she was born in Argentina'. The audience applauded and somebody said that they also 'have' Messi. The president replied that she isn't all that much into football.

The president said to Prefil that she spoke to WA at the inauguration of the pope and that he spoke 'our language' perfectly. 'Well done Máxima' she added.

Kirchner: "We hebben een paus en een koningin" - HLN.be

Later this month they will have an exhibition about Dutch inaugurations, which will attract many people probably. Their most visited exhibition thus far was about Dutch royal weddings.

That sounds like something I'd really like to see,given all the coverage I'm sure it will be rather busy!

But with the Regalia gone what exactly is there to see, a lot of empty chairs and some probably wilting fower arrangements? Is the Kerk normally closed to the public except for events like this?

I expect the British to put on the most beautiful, traditional, pomp and pageantry for Charles's future Coronation. No one really do it better than them, although I thought Willem's Inauguration was very well put together and enjoyable.

I think the reason the British have such a grand coronation ceremony is in part due to the place in history of the British monarchy. How many other monarchs have 1000 years of history behind them!

Hmm, let's see.... Several come to mind.

The world's oldest monarchy is that of Japan. It was officially founded in 660 B.C.E., making it more than 2,000 years old. Brunei's monarchy dates back to the 7th century C.E., I believe.

In Europe, the oldest monarchy is Denmark's. The Norwegian, English, and Swedish ones came a bit later. In fact, although Alfred the Great called himself "King of the English" in the 9th century, there wasn't really a unified kingdom corresponding to what we think of as England until the reign of his grandson Athelstan in the 10th century.

So... if what you mean is that the English monarchy is old, then of course you're right! But it's by no means the only - or the oldest - one. Most other countries who still crown kings and queens don't have a ceremony as lavish as the English, so I'm not sure that the crown's longevity has much to do with the degree of grandeur of the coronation ceremony.

Last edited:

-----

Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, president of Argentina, yesterday remarked in an event at the presidential palace: 'we have a pope and now we have a queen. Máxima has Argentine blood'. She reacted to a journalist who on tv had said that WA's inauguration meant nothing to him. Fernandez de Kirchner disagreed: 'that is not the case, she was born in Argentina'. The audience applauded and somebody said that they also 'have' Messi. The president replied that she isn't all that much into football.

The president said to Prefil that she spoke to WA at the inauguration of the pope and that he spoke 'our language' perfectly. 'Well done Máxima' she added.

Kirchner: "We hebben een paus en een koningin" - HLN.be

Wow, does he speak spanish? I didn't know it. Respect! Very romantic, that he learned Maxima's language. But it is understable too, because Maxima speaks spanish to the children, so he can also understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom