Inauguration of King Willem-Alexander & Reception: April 30, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Video of Victoria and Daniel (and other guests) arriving to the church today
Aftonbladet TV: Se kronprinsessan göra entré på ceremonin

Excellent as I missed most of the royal guests arriving and was looking for a link earlier!

casareal.es has added a new gallery of photo's

Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España - Actividades y Agenda - Viaje a Ámsterdam, con ocasión de la investidura de Su Alteza Real el Príncipe de Orange como Rey de los Países Bajos

Also from Hola

Casa Real Holandesa. Toda la información sobre Realeza en hola.com

Last edited by a moderator:
That was not a coronation, sadly. It had little pomp or ceremony, and in my eyes, was rather poor. S

No, it was not a coronation, never was a coronation, never intended to be a coronation nor ever will it be a coronation. It was the inauguration of the Dutch monarch, with much pomp and ceremony.
And if that is how you feel, then you are going to be horribly disappointed and no doubt equally as dismissive when Frederik, Victoria, Haakon, Felipe and Guillaume come to the thrones - if not more so!

Congratulations to the Dutch people and especially their Royal Family for this beautiful ceremony.Maxima, stunning and very queen-like. The little girls absolutely adorable.

Perhaps this is not the correct place to ask, but I cannot find the answer in any of the inauguration threads. It was mentioned that kings/queens do not attend ascensions to the thrones of other nations. Does anyone know why this is?

From what I have read over the last week or so, my understanding is it is so the person being coronated etc. is the most senior royal at the event, therefore they do not have to bow etc. to someone else

I think the "one day" refers more to the fact that one day Mary and Frederik will be King and Queen. Plus, if Frederik becomes King days after his mother's death, it's not really a party atmosphere.

Hmmm..and Queen Magrethe also believes in duty-until-death.
And they have done away with post-mourning coronation ages ago.
So no celebratory Abdication-Enthronement, and no celebratory coronation.
So Frederik has it bad both ways...

Yes, that's definitely what he'll be thinking about. Oh darn, can't party because mother's dead. Jeez. Thought you didn't like the "same old same old".

i didnt get what did you mean by "same old same old"..
I was saying..
WA can celebrate because his mom was alive and gladly handed over the throne.
Charles could celebrate because the mourning for his mom would be long over and the whole nation will be celebrating his coronation.
But CP Frederik cant have it either way.
he just has to accept his duty in gloom and grief..
But thats OK..that will be the most non-controversial transition, I guess

i didnt get what did you mean by "same old same old"..

I was referring to your post from yesterday, as to your reasons for leaving last night's jewels and gowns conversation. Frederik's crowning would be ideal for you as it contains neither. :flowers:

I'm an American and I'm completely gaga over today's ceremonies! I'm crying ... everything has been so beautiful and moving.

Like many others, I, too, thought abdication was an easy way out. However, now I can see that it's a beautiful opportunity for one generation to hand-off to another with a great amount of joy and happiness. Well done Beatrix, Willem-Alexander, Maxima, and the adorable 3 A's!!!

Which I think is a shame because I think Frederik & Mary would make a beautiful crowned King & Queen. They deserve a Coronation.

I was referring to your post from yesterday, as to your reasons for leaving last night's jewels and gowns conversation. Frederik's crowning would be ideal for you as it contains neither. :flowers:

Ok I got it..I am definitely not interested in gowns and tiaras..
And I was just complaining that there is nothing else being discussed other than that.
But I enjoyed today's event very well. There is far more than gowns and tiaras.
I always enjoy events which are more "public-oriented" (balcony/carriage/paegent), rather than "royal-oriented" showing the same royals walking down the same carpets in those same jewels and gowns..
Last night was totally "royal-oriented"
today was totally "public-oriented"
I can watch crowds and celebrations for any amount of time. But these gala stuff, seems to me like some elitist alien thing common man cant identify with. Thats all..
But I know fashion-lovers adore these events..
So I absolutely dont mind F&M having a huge celebratory procession and appearance (after mourning of course)..

Last edited:
Congratulations to the Dutch people and especially their Royal Family for this beautiful ceremony.Maxima, stunning and very queen-like. The little girls absolutely adorable.

I couldn't agree more, I think today everyone was Dutch regardless of where you watched the ceremony from, I know I feel a little more in love with King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima
And what about the Triple A's? Could these girls have been anymore posed, grown-up, beautiful, behaved, etc... They were just about perfect today, their parents should be so darn proud of them.
Every time early in the day when they showed Princess Beatrix, I wanted to tear up, what a CLASS act this Queen is/was, all around best thing I have ever seen!!!!

Which I think is a shame because I think Frederik & Mary would make a beautiful crowned King & Queen. They deserve a Coronation.

They have done away with coronation ages ago.
So we cant expect one.
Any restoration of that practice will be seen as flamboyance/waste in "hard" times, though I think Scandi is better off than rest of Europe..

I've enjoyed watching all this today. Especially since recently finding out my great-great-great-great grandmother was Dutch. Her husband was a French Aristocrat that escaped France during the Revolution and fled to Holland. He married a Dutch girl and thus added another branch to our varied family. Best wishes to the new King and Queen!

The ceremony was amazing, and perfectly combined with the economical situation. Simply, yet everything that was required to make it look regal was there. Just a shame we couldn't see the european royals during the ceremony (apart from few little glimpse of Charles and Camilla). I would have loved to see their reaction while a member of "the heirs club" becomes the boss.
My applause goes to Maxima or to the royal nannies for preparing amazingly the A-team so well for the day. They were all sooo composed and well mannered. It must have been a great day for them as well.
Needless to say, Maxima was the perfection today. I love the idea that the designer gave her that mantel, since she didn't have one of those in velvet and ermine for herself

Absolutely flawless day for the Dutch royal family. I was incredibly moved by all the ceremonies and especially loved Willem-Alexander's speech.

A gallery of todays events from Der Spiegel: Photo Gallery: The Coronation of Holland's King Willem-Alexander - SPIEGEL ONLINE - International
The last picture is...eeeh.. remarkable..
I fear the one who wrote the captions has made a couple of, ahem, errors. It wasn't a religious ceremony in the church and the soldiers seen marching in pic #19 are not guardsmen.

The Argentinians are also covering this event!
The newspaper Clarin has dedicated an entire subsection of their website to "Reina Maxima".

Having supplied a pope as well as a queen, the Argentinians feel their export is going pretty well.

Last edited:
From what I have read over the last week or so, my understanding is it is so the person being coronated etc. is the most senior royal at the event, therefore they do not have to bow etc. to someone else

That makes sense. Thank you!

Wow. Wow. Let me catch my breath.

Maxima looked fabulous.

What a dress. I can't be more in love. I love the color, the tiara and the cape. Brilliant choice for probably one of the most important days in their lives.

And the 3 beautiful princesses are just remarkable. How well Mannered and how gracious are they. I love how their dresses matched their mum's.

The rest of the royal ladies did not disappoint.

Stressful affaire, a coronation! I guess you can't even get comfortable in one dress and the time comes for you to change into a new one ! :)

Well done to WA, Maxima and their princesses. I can't imagine a better royal couple for the Netherlands. My congrats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom