Holiday Residence in Mozambique for the Prince of Orange and Family: 2008-2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The average worker in Mozambique earns $2 a month. With such poverty, those in power usually (ironically) are very rich since they are skimming from the top. The only way is to turn to outsiders who come in to either create a project or take advantage of the country's natural resources. Bribing is rampant and anyone who wishes to continue with their plans, they have to bribe local officials for permits and freedom to continue. It is the cost of doing business. I am sure the royals' presence there, can only inflate the demands. Hopefully they will not give up easily. (The royals I mean)

Last edited:
Has WA and Maxima's vacation house been built yet?

It seems like an interesting and rather good project they are working on here, however it find it unusual royals partake in such things. Anybody know if any other royals have done this and has it worked? Of course it is good that the three little princesses will be learning and living among another different culture. If only for a brief vacation.

According to Minister Bert Koenders the Dutch Ambassade in Mozambique did research after the allegations that there was corruption involved with the holiday houses etc. in Mozambique. According to him the allegations are unfounded and not the slightest evidence whatsoever has been found. The minister also denies that the project will be damaging for the environment, as some feared.

Source: royalblog.nl

Last edited:
I hope that PC Willem and his wife and lovely children will be able to have their private home in Mozambique or wherever. I´ve never been to Africa, but being of Portuguese descent, I know many people who lived there when it was still a colony of Portugal. It is supposed to be beautiful and the local people sure need the extra money and jobs foreigners can bring. Good luck to this charming family.

It seems like an interesting and rather good project they are working on here, however it find it unusual royals partake in such things. Anybody know if any other royals have done this and has it worked? Of course it is good that the three little princesses will be learning and living among another different culture. If only for a brief vacation.

That sounds ideal but I doubt that the little princesses will meet any of the locals, these places are full of people of the same nationality and they just mix with each other. I suppose thanking a waiter or the luggage porter could be counted as mixing! I don´t want to sound cynical but I am afraid that is what I think happens and will happen.

That sounds ideal but I doubt that the little princesses will meet any of the locals, these places are full of people of the same nationality and they just mix with each other. I suppose thanking a waiter or the luggage porter could be counted as mixing! I don´t want to sound cynical but I am afraid that is what I think happens and will happen.

Bom dia but I know you will be proven wrong here.They will mix and learn to know the locals,like Prince Claus did with his sons while in Africa and the Antilles,that is the general idea.Different from what portuguese ex-colonials would do,yes,but then we're talking Oranges.Not cynical,just to the point dear Menarue.:flowers:

I always mixed, I loved my years in Mozambique and Guine-Bissau, my husband ex-colonial army still gets letters from people who were his "enemies" in the old days.
My daughter has just spent two years with family in Angola and both my sons in law were born there and we still all visit frequently. I am talking about a resort in Mozambique, Oranges or not, it is a bit different from the Antilles. But I hope I am proven wrong.

My father too, is a ex-colonial army who was at Mozambique, and he always says that he would like to go ther in vacations (for tree months at least) because Mozambique it´s very beatiful.

Mozambique is absolutely gorgeous. Warm sea water (a definite advantage for someone who dislikes the ice cold seas of the Atlantic, to look at they are fine, to swim in - no thanks).
Lourenço Marques, now Maputo, was and still is, I am sure, a beautiful city.
I am looking forward to hearing how the Dutch Royals get on there and if they do actually get their holiday home. The only downside that I can think of is malaria....
I should know I got it there despite taking everything under the sun to prevent it....
Our garden was off limits the minute the sun started to go down, mosquitoes reigned supreme until the next morning.
I would love to go back for a holiday. Perhaps the royals will invite me? Then again I suppose they won´t......lol.

We all know that poor countries in Africa need strong investments like this one. Mozambique is not only beautiful... it is just one of the most beautiful places in the world! IMO, it's Africa's best secret :)

The Princess said they didn't wish for another luxury resort with deeply impoverished locals surrounding it,but an attribution to develop the country,and hopefully others will follow their example.

The most horrible thing about a holiday is when you are visiting a beautiful country and poor locals walk around you asking you money... I hope this project can bring some of the splendor that Mozambique used to have.

Bom dia but I know you will be proven wrong here.They will mix and learn to know the locals,like Prince Claus did with his sons while in Africa and the Antilles,that is the general idea.Different from what portuguese ex-colonials would do,yes,but then we're talking Oranges.Not cynical,just to the point dear Menarue.:flowers:

With all the respect, if anyone is wrong it's you, lucien. :) I don't think you know much about Mozambique's history so I suggest you to study a bit more about it before you post.

I know nothing about van Bommel or what his true motives are but his question and comments are valid and sound reasonable.
When rich, wealthy, white, and titled Europeans want to set up a " luxury community" in one of the poorest countries in Africa, one doesn't have to be a sociology major to raise an eyebrow.

Well, obviously they are not into this project just to be kind with the people of Mozambique. I truly believe this will improve the life of some locals but no one believes that the royal couple would invest there if they were not going to earn a lot of money. IMO, the reasons for this investment are only 3: nice holiday+privacy+money. But if this will help someone (I hope it does), then good.

Well, obviously they are not into this project just to be kind with the people of Mozambique. I truly believe this will improve the life of some locals but no one believes that the royal couple would invest there if they were not going to earn a lot of money. IMO, the reasons for this investment are only 3: nice holiday+privacy+money. But if this will help someone (I hope it does), then good.

you are mentioning 'investment' as if they were going to earn money from this or in the most lucrative sense of the word. they are obviously not earning money, just 'investing' themselves (their own money) into a family holiday house somewhere else. the only 'receipt' they get from it is a nice holiday and privacy, in your own words. what they get is, hopefully, money (from the crown princely couple) and hopefully the potential idea of marketing the place and in the future benefiting from other tourists looking for similar conditions.

yes, they don't do this to benefit the locals only - having a nice house abroad and privacy is also top of the list. however, their intentions (and what they receive from this) is nothing that can qualify as 'earning a lot of money' in my opinion.

One thing I am certain of is that if the Dutch Royal Family do meet the locals they won´t be recognized and even if someone tells them who they are it won´t make much difference the people are friendly to everyone.

One thing I am certain of is that if the Dutch Royal Family do meet the locals they won´t be recognized and even if someone tells them who they are it won´t make much difference the people are friendly to everyone.

Oh yes,I believe that too.Same happened when the boys were young and Prince Claus often took them to Tanzania,where he grew up,and to Kenia where grandpapa Bernhard had a home.The "boys",like Alexander once said,might be white on the outside but they have an African heart beating within,meaning ofcourse they all have a deep rooted love for Africa.No doubt they will pass that along to their children,it will come natural.

When I lived in Guinea-Bissau, I would occasionally see people all dressed up and walking to the airport. Why? Someone would pass the word that there was to be a "party" at the airport and that way when there was any visiting dignitary from anywhere they would get a wonderful reception and everyone had a wonderful time drum beating, dancing, waving.... I bet the person being welcomed that way was surprised to find how popular they were.

I am sure Amalia, Alexia and Ariana will love Africa as much their father does. :) No one can forgets the african sunset, and those wonderful beaches lands where children can play all day. A close cousin of mine always says that when he remembers Mozambique, he still feels the smell of that fresh and fertile land.

They will have the chance to learn a bit of the Portuguese since it is the official language of Mozambique. But it won't be difficult for the children since they are familiar with the Spanish. :flowers:

It is not sure the Princely couple will indeed have a house build in Mozambique.During the debate at Parliament today the PM made it clear that a go-ahead isn't certain,ao,due to extreme security costs.The PM didn't go into detail on the latter,but it is about to be cancelled as it seems more and more highly unpractical.

Distance isn't a problem,people fly to far holiday destinations all the time.It is security foremost.

By that they mean the cost of sending Dutch security officers with them? That would cost a lot and if they actually bought a place in Mozambique I should imagine they would like to spend quite some time there.
These days you can be in Mozambique very quickly. My first flight there took 30 hours, the first leg in a Super Constellation with few hours in a hotel in Beira, then on to my destination via Lake Niassa to Nampula in a Dakota. For the whole flight there I had, with the Captain´s permission, my pet Pomeranian dog on my knee.
I remember when the pilot of the Dakota took the plane down to show us a herd of elephants I was so scared I must have been the only passenger that didn´t look. Thank goodness for that wonderful scene in the film "Out of Africa" I was able to see what I very stupidly missed.

By that they mean the cost of sending Dutch security officers with them? That would cost a lot and if they actually bought a place in Mozambique I should imagine they would like to spend quite some time there.
These days you can be in Mozambique very quickly. My first flight there took 30 hours, the first leg in a Super Constellation with few hours in a hotel in Beira, then on to my destination via Lake Niassa to Nampula in a Dakota. For the whole flight there I had, with the Captain´s permission, my pet Pomeranian dog on my knee.
I remember when the pilot of the Dakota took the plane down to show us a herd of elephants I was so scared I must have been the only passenger that didn´t look. Thank goodness for that wonderful scene in the film "Out of Africa" I was able to see what I very stupidly missed.

A "Super Conny"?Dearest Menarue,even I remember them.....beautifull!

Last edited:
According to the newspaper 'Telegraaf' the prince is stil waiting for the approval of the PM. According to the newspaper the security costs in Mozambique will be much higher than in f.e. Tuscany, due to higher risks in the latter country. Apparently some sources around the cabinet say that some proposed to have a frigate of the navy (!) in front of the island when the prince and his family are there.

Article in Dutch here.

A navy frigate?! Well I'd never want anything to happen to them but thats quite an extreme measure to have to go to.

As much as I love my RF, I'm not going to pay taxes over my hard earned money to give them a navy vessel for their security!! There are plenty of remote spots left in Europe imo for them to have a holidayhome.

As much as I love my RF, I'm not going to pay taxes over my hard earned money to give them a navy vessel for their security!! There are plenty of remote spots left in Europe imo for them to have a holidayhome.

No hype please.No-one said anyone needed your tax money.

It is just the Telegraaf that mentions that,in all the hullabaloo of the gossip rag it is.
It just turned out too unpractical an idea after all to have a holiday home there.

Remote spots?There are no such heavens in Europe left.

Btw,it took ye'll a while to react and "scream",I initially posted this days earlyer...:whistling:

Last edited:
It is just the Telegraaf that mentions that,in all the hullabaloo of the gossip rag it is.
It just turned out too unpractical an idea after all to have a holiday home there.

Yes, it must be just a rumour. It is ridiculous to get a navy vessel (!) to defend their security on vacation.

Remote spots?There are no such heavens in Europe left.

There are remote and beautiful spots in Europe... Senja Island in Norway is a good example. But of course the weather is not the same as in Mozambique.

There are lots of such heavens left in Europe, particularly in France, Spain, Italy, Portugal etc. You just have to look for them. They don't seem to have too much trouble around their present holiday home in Italy, don't they? They have arrangements with the press in which they grant them one fotoshoot per holiday and are left alone for the rest. I don't understand why they have to go to Mozambique (no matter what beautifull country that is) to get some privacy. Seriously, our Royals don't have such a hard time with the press.

I love Mozambique but I still don´t understand why they have to go there and if there is any problem with security, or paying for security, go somewhere else.

I love Mozambique but I still don´t understand why they have to go there and if there is any problem with security, or paying for security, go somewhere else.

Maybe because they didn't choose Mozambique only to spend nice vacation but also to make financial investments there. :rolleyes:

Well that is a thought isn´t it? If they bought or built a house there you can be sure there would be lots and lots of people following them, in fact it would become a very desirable holiday venue in a very short time.

I think it is too extravagant and on top of that with the kind of money that they have why do they want to tie themselves in only one spot vacation, they can take the girls to differents places to get already educted in vacations! and it is a lot of other places that they can go in europe or islands in the carabean whenre they can be far from the press! of, course may be it is all about investing money and duplicate thir assetss! who knows ................

Back
Top Bottom