Dutch Working Visits to German States: 2014-2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
German is difficult for Dutch to speak because of the complicated grammar. In Dutch we knew the genitive too but almost all genitives have been simplified by using the datif with "van". In German however the genitive is is still very much alive in daily speech.

German:
Des Kaisers neue Kleider.
Meines Vaters Haus.

Old-fashioned Dutch:
De nieuwe kleren des keizers.
Het huis mijns vaders.

Modern Dutch:
De nieuwe kleren van de Keizer.
Het huis van mijn vader.

Therefore a Dutchman would say in German:
"Die neue Kleider von der Kaiser"
or
"Das Haus von mein Vater"

which may sound very odd in German ears (but still understandable).

--------------------------------------------------

We can see it at the Court too:
Kabinet des Konings has become Kabinet van de Koning.

Or in the magistrature:
In naam des Konings! has become In naam van de Koning!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Dutchmen raised in ye oldfashioned Dutch grammar before 1945 should not have too much problems with German.

Isn’t it still technically correct though to say “ het huis mijns Vaders” in Dutch ? I suppose sentences like that are common in the Dutch Bible for example.

Isn’t it still technically correct though to say “ het huis mijns Vaders” in Dutch ? I suppose sentences like that are common in the Dutch Bible for example.

It is absolutely correct but very oldfashioned. Former Prime Minister Van Agt was (and still) is known for his archaïc language. He himself said about his oldfashioned Dutch: "I know it is markant (distinctive) enough to épater (overbluff) people and to irritate others. It is an expression of a certain vanity but also pleasing to portray oneself".

Queen Beatrix had another style too. She was heard saying in disapproval: "hoe onhebbelijk!" ("how indecent!"). King Willem-Alexander would never use that word.
:lol:

I first learned Dutch at school - it's certainly the easiest language to learn for most Germans. But we only speak about the basics here - to really master it is as difficult as any other language IMO.
I once saw a German guy and a German woman speaking to each other for about 5 minutes. Both thougt that the other spoke his/her own native language when in fact both tried to speak the other language. It was pretty fun to hear:cool: I would love more German and Dutch people to try to understand the other language - with a little practice and good will we wouldn't really need English.

I really like the German state tours of the king and queen. It's a clever move - because high profile visits are pretty special for most of the visited cities and states they are well covered in the regional media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom