Dutch Summer Photo Sessions: 2013-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sure is a sorry sight!
Have they all been wrestling in the backyard or something? :p

Do we know what happened?

Short article from BB: Prinsesse Amalia til sommerfotografering på krykker | BILLED-BLADET

Wonder if Amalia has begun to develop and is shy about it, since she's deliberately draping her hair like that. My daughter did the same for the first couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Alexia doesn't resemble so much her sisters!
Her hair seems redder and more wavy, face slimmer...

As always a lovely family photo shoot,would love to see Beatrix joining them next time!

The RVD did not say what happened to either of them. We just know that the Queen's problem occurred last Friday while the crown princess ankle problems date from yesterday evening.

As always a lovely family photo shoot,would love to see Beatrix joining them next time!

The next photoshoot will be in Winter, and Princess Beatrix is generally alwsys there. She never attends the Summer-shoot.

:flowers: Great to see everyone today even though Maxima and Amalia have recently had accidents.

Lovely photos! The girls grew up so much!!!! wow and I think Amalia is in the heavy side! From who is she taken ? I do not think Maxima? Alexia she is stunning! Her colour of he hair , her features, wow, she looks like a model! Is a photo in Newscom Maxima and her back to back, love that photo! Ariana is so cute! She looks shy! Beautiful Family! Hope Amalia gets well soon!

Lovely photos! The girls grew up so much!!!! wow and I think Amalia is in the heavy side! From who is she taken ? I do not think Maxima? Alexia she is stunning! Her colour of he hair , her features, wow, she looks like a model! Is a photo in Newscom Maxima and her back to back, love that photo! Ariana is so cute! She looks shy! Beautiful Family! Hope Amalia gets well soon!

IMHO Amaila has always had a similar face shape to her grandmother Beatrix. I believe that she will slim down as she grows. Also I think she may end up being one of the taller female monarchs one day. Alexia appears to favor Maxima and her family while Ariane is a good mix of both parents IMO.

I think the photos from the photo session were wonderful, and that they really capture their family life. Willem-Alexander has a lovely little family, they appear to be rather warm and loving towards each other.

The AAA's are sweet and it's nice to see that Amalia (and Maxima) managed to make it, though I thought that she appeared to be struggling in some photos. I hope she's not in too much pain. Alexia is very pretty and resembles Maxima more than Amalia and Ariane; who both resemble Willem-Alexander IMO. She appears to have a confident and lively personality.

Alexia is and has always been the beauty of the three......

Love this photo session. The girls are all growing up. And they seem a happy family. Not as outgoing shoot as in the past but considering Amalia and Max are both hurt, that is understandable. Just happy they are all there. :flowers:

Alexia sure looks like her mom. She is growing into a beautiful young woman. All three girls are pretty, but Alexia is so different. I love the pic where she is sitting with her mom back to back, and dad is sitting, with the other two standing. It really captures her personality. :)

The princesses have become so big! In a few years time Maxima will be the petite in her family.

The girls are growing up so fast. Amaila too me takes after her father and grandmother. Alexia is a mini Maxima. I can never decide who Ariana takes after she is a true mixture whereas the other 2 have much stronger resemblance to one parent.

The girls are growing up so fast. Amaila too me takes after her father and grandmother. Alexia is a mini Maxima. I can never decide who Ariana takes after she is a true mixture whereas the other 2 have much stronger resemblance to one parent.

Ariana resembles her uncle Constantijn and her paternal grandfather prince Claus.

Lovely pictures & all three girls are growing up so fast. Had a good giggle over Alexia "striking a pose" in some of the pictures of just the three of them or her by herself. W/out a doubt her confidence in herself just beams. :D

One thing...I love their Patio/Terrace Furniture. The design of it, the shape, plus those big comfy cushions in those gorgeous warm Cinnamon-y Reds & Browns...Just really, really love it!! :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

A video of the photo session. The girls are obviously not enjoying it -at all. And who can blame them if you see the amount of press. Perhaps they should think of another format in the future that is more comfortable for them, as it is they must feel like monkeys in a zoo. Especially the crown princess seems somewhat tense,the king is obviously trying to comfort her.

The author of 'royalblog' the atmosphere between the photographers was 'grimly', with lots of cursing, pushing etc.

In the conversation with the press, the king and queeen revealed a few things:
- The princesses all passed to the next school year.
- The crown princess chose to study Chinese at school.
- The king offered no opinions on the fact that parlament want to keep the Hall of Knights closed during the renovation of the inner court, this means that the opening of the parlementary year needs to be held elsewhere. The king only said he would await the invitation by parlement.
- The king also said that it is the plan that Noordeinde palace will be opened to the public in the next summers too.
- The king did not deny that he and his family will be in Rio for the Olympics this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imiqyHrRPN8

It seems that the 'container' that the king is working in is the shed they filmed in the beginning, placed close to the house. The garden looks wonderful.

Last edited:
They are pretty used to these press calls and photogs by this age. I wonder if Having mom and big sister not feeling well so maybe as a consequence more snappy and short and cranky than normal is making them act out a little. A very common response for young kids.

In fairness when you see how many media are there you can see why maybe the girls aren't that delighted to be there. That being said they are use to this by now as they've done in for so many years.

A video of the photo session. The girls are obviously not enjoying it -at all. And who can blame them if you see the amount of press. Perhaps they should think of another format in the future that is more comfortable for them, as it is they must feel like monkeys in a zoo. Especially the crown princess seems somewhat tense, I suppose she starts to be of an age that children become more self-aware. Or perhaps it isthe ankle, the king is obviously trying to comfort her.

Hmm, I don't think they looked that uncomfortable - not being able to make out what was said, of course. Certainly no more than everybody else who is being told to stand there for fifteen minutes smiling their heads off. :ermm:
Perhaps they should take the girls out more when on the job, simply to get them more used to being in the spotlight, because it's not going to get any better.
Or perhaps they should use the props more? There are two dogs, plenty of opportunity to pet, throw sticks, frisbees, play tug with a glove - great way to make their humans relax. And more fun for the photographers as well.

Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...er-photos-days-Maxima-suffers-concussion.html

I notice Amalia has braces.

Last edited:
I think in many ways this type of photo session is very intense, the girls basically have to stand in their garden while being photographed and called at by journalists. In a way it would be better if they went somewhere they could so something, the photographers could still get their shots and the journalists could ask their questions but the girls wouldn't feel so gawped at and possibly uncomfortable.

I think in many ways this type of photo session is very intense, the girls basically have to stand in their garden while being photographed and called at by journalists. In a way it would be better if they went somewhere they could so something, the photographers could still get their shots and the journalists could ask their questions but the girls wouldn't feel so gawped at and possibly uncomfortable.

I agree with this, after watching the video I thought a similar thing. It must be rather daunting to have lots of photographers, as you say, gawping at them. I think it would be nice if there could be activities for the AAAs, or something there for the girls to be engaged with. Alexia (or Arianne, I can't remember which one) did play with the dog for a little, and as Muhler suggested, more of that could be in the photo session (as an example of an activity). When they are busy with a fun activity, they will most likely forget about the photographers which will in turn make them feel more relaxed.

In the past they have. They took the photos at the beach last year. Yes some were posed like this but we also had the girls running and playing on the beach.
Royal News Site | The Dutch Royal Family The Summer Photo-Shoot 2015
Royal Family Around the World: Dutch Royal Family Summer Photocall on July 10, 2015 in Wassenaar, Netherlands.

In 2012 they included a bike ride (scroll down)
De Oranjes: juli 2012

2013 was pretty similar to this year, minus a dog
Princess Catharina-Amalia Photos - The Dutch Royal Family Hold Annual Summer Photo Call - Zimbio

I cant find a photo shoot for 2014.

I think this year was pretty limited with the health of Maxima and Amalia.

In the past they have. They took the photos at the beach last year. Yes some were posed like this but we also had the girls running and playing on the beach.

I cant find a photo shoot for 2014.

Yes, I'm aware of the past photoshoots and the activities that the AAA's did during them (I've been following the DRF since I joined the forums).

I think this year was pretty limited with the health of Maxima and Amalia.

That's true, and quite a good point to take into consideration, I didn't think of that when I first typed my previous post.

A video of the photo session. The girls are obviously not enjoying it -at all. And who can blame them if you see the amount of press. Perhaps they should think of another format in the future that is more comfortable for them, as it is they must feel like monkeys in a zoo. Especially the crown princess seems somewhat tense,the king is obviously trying to comfort her.

The author of 'royalblog' the atmosphere between the photographers was 'grimly', with lots of cursing, pushing etc.

In the conversation with the press, the king and queeen revealed a few things:
- The princesses all passed to the next school year.
- The crown princess chose to study Chinese at school.
- The king offered no opinions on the fact that parlament want to keep the Hall of Knights closed during the renovation of the inner court, this means that the opening of the parlementary year needs to be held elsewhere. The king only said he would await the invitation by parlement.
- The king also said that it is the plan that Noordeinde palace will be opened to the public in the next summers too.
- The king did not deny that he and his family will be in Rio for the Olympics this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imiqyHrRPN8

It seems that the 'container' that the king is working in is the shed they filmed in the beginning, placed close to the house. The garden looks wonderful.

IMHO they're now more self-conscious as they enter their teen/pre-teen years. Being the focus of social media, the national press and television isn't what every young teen/pre-teen wants.

Yes they'll have to continue with these types of photocalls, but I'm not surprised that the girls are less enthusiastic than in the past years.

I agree that AAA are now reaching the age where they are very conscious of themselves and of course they read online what is being said about them, even if they have been told many times not to mind what is being said.
Personally I don't mind being photographed but I hate posing! I can very well imagine that also being the case for AAA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard enough going through those awkward puberty stages, as Amalia and Alexia certainly are, without being in the public eye. Many girls at that stage don't want their photos taken, and they don't have to have them in magazines and sites internationally :ermm:

With three girls spread out, it will likely be some time before the couple has 3 happy daughters again for the photos.

I suppose you have a point there indeed, the awkward puberty years ;). In Amalia's case perhaps another factor is that in April -after king's day- she became the victim of an online bully campaign, which focussed on her looks and most specifically her weight. I do not believe the same thing happened now, fortunately.

I suppose you have a point there indeed, the awkward puberty years ;). In Amalia's case perhaps another factor is that in April -after king's day- she became the victim of an online bully campaign, which focussed on her looks and most specifically her weight. I do not believe the same thing happened now, fortunately.

Unfortunately it is going to happen again.

You know about some of the sites out there! And they are about adult royals, who must be assumed to have thicker skin and better being able to deal with such behavior.

I honestly don't know the answer to best dealing with such things.
But I don't think the best solution is to shield the children and to give in to their unhappiness about being photographed.
I guess for better or worse royal children have to learn to develop a thicker hide before everybody else.

And with the current generation of royal children growing up in an age where everyone has a camera at hand, we must expect up to several instances where they already in their early teens will be photographed in intimate situations. And that these pictures will be made by other teens and as such end up on the Net within seconds. And from where they are likely to be spread before actions can be taken.
(And no, I'm not talking about sexual situations but all kinds of intimate situations we wouldn't like to see published either).
Despite all precautions and despite all instructions to their friends, we must expect someone at some point taking and uploading such a photo of a royal teen. If for no other reason than simple thoughtlessness.

Back
Top Bottom