Dutch Summer Photo Sessions: 2013-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, good photos. Charming family.

It's funny how the facial features of the siblings are so different. You'd be forgiven for thinking they are not related.
Usually I'd say out of three siblings at least two will look very much alike, but here all three look different from each other.

I was thinking the same Muhler, the three sisters don't resemble each other much - if at all. The same could be said about their paternal grandmother & sisters.

The garden looks lovely and nice that the family coordinated the colours they used.

Rick Evers reported the following on twitter:

Apparently the government airplane with the RF has left Schiphol airport just a few hours after the photo session, so the family has started their vacation.

The King said that Pss Amalia may take a gap year after she is done with her secundary school. Becasue she skipped a year when she was little she may use it than.

About the tiktok videos the Queen understandably said that the girls have to learn how to deal with social media themselves. She added that the princesses themselves also feel embarrassed by it.

The queen said that her mother Carmen was in The Hague while the king and queen were in Indonesia, to take care of the princesses. After that Mrs. Zorreguieta was forced to go in lockdown with the family. The Queen added that it was valuable time together and her mother was unsure how she would have coped being in lockdown on her own in Buenos Aires.

The King said that the restoration Golden Carriage is going well. The carriage will be restored how it was (with colonial depictions on it). Afterwards we will see what will happen.

Last edited:
Yes, good photos. Charming family.

It's funny how the facial features of the siblings are so different. You'd be forgiven for thinking they are not related.
Usually I'd say out of three siblings at least two will look very much alike, but here all three look different from each other.
I do agree with you Muhler :flowers:

I think it's because Amalia takes after Beatrix, Alexia is a Maxima mini me, and Ariane looks so much like her father (look at the smile, she is WA mini me).

I also think that Frederik and Mary's children look very different from each other. The same with Leonor and Sofia of Spain. Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus are another example of totally different-looking siblings.

I think from all the royal houses, Estelle and Oscar are the siblings who resemble each other the most (they looked like twins as babies). I think Elisabeth and Emmanuel (and perhaps Eleonore too) look like siblings too.

Last edited:
Lovely photos, and I agree with the rest, they look o different one from the other , Alexa has the model looks, with that sophisticate face and charm, Ariana is incredible cute and I love her dress, Amalia has a beautiful face and hair, I do not like her choice of clothing I do not think favour her in anyway. They look a beautiful family

Great photos; it's clear that the family are very close to one another. I agree that Alexia looks more like Maxima whilst Amalia looks like WA; and Ariane looks like a mixture of the two - but with more features from WA's side of the family, IMO. Amalia is very tall - she seems to be the same height as WA.

I was thinking the same Muhler, the three sisters don't resemble each other much - if at all. The same could be said about their paternal grandmother & sisters.

The garden looks lovely and nice that the family coordinated the colours they used.

Rick Evers reported the following on twitter:

Apparently the government airplane with the RF has left Schiphol airport just a few hours after the photo session, so the family has started their vacation.

The King said that Pss Amalia may take a gap year after she is done with her secundary school. Becasue she skipped a year when she was little she may use it than.

About the tiktok videos the Queen understandably said that the girls have to learn how to deal with social media themselves. She added that the princesses themselves also feel embarrassed by it.

The queen said that her mother Carmen was in The Hague while the king and queen were in Indonesia, to take care of the princesses. After that Mrs. Zorreguieta was forced to go in lockdown with the family. The Queen added that it was valuable time together and her mother was unsure how she would have coped being in lockdown on her own in Buenos Aires.

The King said that the restoration Golden Carriage is going well. The carriage will be restored how it was (with colonial depictions on it). Afterwards we will see what will happen.

HM added we are not going to rewrite history now...And I fully support him in that too..We don t do hypes in our day and age...Mine that is...

Lovely photos, and I agree with the rest, they look o different one from the other , Alexa has the model looks, with that sophisticate face and charm, Ariana is incredible cute and I love her dress, Amalia has a beautiful face and hair, I do not like her choice of clothing I do not think favour her in anyway. They look a beautiful family

I am a bit sad to see how uncomfortable Amalia felt while the shooting, but like any other teenager she tries to hide her weak side and looks with shaking her hair. while Alexia is way too much posing already I wonder whats going on behind the walls between the three sisters. I did not like the clothes either. None of it, Ariane's much too short and Amalia, well like you said it does not do her a favour. though i would like to think the girls can choose by themselves the colours were similar so it looked somehow arranged but very unfortunate.
anyway it is still children and i think Amalia 's beauty is only to develop to full grace within the next years. her genes from oranje side with the nearly square shaped skull and face hopefully will be topped from her mother's beauty?
amalia 's motions have similarity with willem, i thought, in the video.

I am a bit sad to see how uncomfortable Amalia felt while the shooting, but like any other teenager she tries to hide her weak side and looks with shaking her hair. while Alexia is way too much posing already I wonder whats going on behind the walls between the three sisters. I did not like the clothes either. None of it, Ariane's much too short and Amalia, well like you said it does not do her a favour. though i would like to think the girls can choose by themselves the colours were similar so it looked somehow arranged but very unfortunate.
anyway it is still children and i think Amalia 's beauty is only to develop to full grace within the next years. her genes from oranje side with the nearly square shaped skull and face hopefully will be topped from her mother's beauty��
amalia 's motions have similarity with willem, i thought, in the video.

Nothing wrong at all. Just three adolescents besieged by photographers and trying to find an attitude in between being a normal girl next door and being a Princess of the Netherlands. Especially Amalia, the future Queen, feels the split.

This was nothing different to the photosessions of the four daughters of Queen Juliana. Also then four essentially shy princesses trying to find a proper attitude while besieged by media.

They want to avoid the "red carpet pose" and be "normal". But what is normal in front of a splendid 17th C palace?

Last edited:
The eldest daughter is looking very lovely now, as her features have matured.

Oh my! Time flies....The King and the queen must be so proud)))Wonderful family!

What a lovely family. Girls maturing and different styles and personalities seem to be pushing through. Over the years my very favorite was always the youngest and wow has the seemingly shy one come into her own. The king looks so proud of his family and always happy to be with them. Prayers for all their good health.

What a beautiful family!!

Any information or comments on anything besides the death of De Vries?

What a beautiful family!!

Any information or comments on anything besides the death of De Vries?

Yes, they said they were going on holiday to Greece.

The King told he had difficulties to realize. It was like yesterday that they brought Princess Amalia to her first school day at the Bloemcamp School and now she graduated from the next school...

Queen Máxima told that she expects a new dynamic to develop inside Huis ten Bosch now the two eldest daughters fly out. She was curious to see the blossoming of Ariane in a whole new family setting.

Princess Alexia will leave for the Atlantic College in Llantwit Major (Wales). The King, himself a former student at the same college, urged Alexia to make friends there, because they will become lifetime friends, as he speaks from own experience.

Princess Amalia will have a gap year and hopes to work for interesting organizations and have experiences which she will never have again in her future position.

Yes, they said they were going on holiday to Greece.

Seriously?! There is massive flooding in the country, it's a catastrophe. If the German HoS would go on holiday right now, I can't imagine the press reaction.

https://www.linda.nl/nieuws/koninklijk/willem-alexander-met-gezin-vakantie-griekenland/
Family will indeed go to Greece (even announce it, which is a first)

hope this translation works
https://translate.google.com/transl...lem-alexander-met-gezin-vakantie-griekenland/

he was asked how he handles criticism (like not keeping 1.5m distance from people, or the holiday in 2020), he says (i quote from another article from my 'non digital' paper Volkskrant, which granted, is not the most royaltyminded):
"you learn from it, you discus it and other than that you develop an elephants-skin and have a great life"

(imo it would have been better if he'd left the last parts out, but hey, that's his honest answer)

Last edited:
I don't know if it's a good idea to go on vacation to Greece. :ermm:

I don't know if it's a good idea to go on vacation to Greece. :ermm:

Millions from the Netherlands will head to France, Spain, Germany, Greece, Portugal, etc. during the school summer break. In general a vaccination passport and eventually a negative test, is required. All five of the King's family have been vaccinated indeed.

In the first three weeks of September I will be in Spain. Fingers crossed: airline tickets paid, accomodation paid, rental car paid, vaccinations completed, but at the moment I am totally unsure if Spain will actually be open then, yes or no. Millions of other Dutch face the same insecurity. It is a gamble to organize a holiday or not.

So the King, going to his own secluded estate in Greece, is lucky now. During the photo session he was asked about his favourite pastime on holiday and he said: "Just floating on a boat with the five of us together ".

Last edited:
The king and RF are not breaking any rules and are perfectly entitled to holiday its I just got a slight quiver at the 'holidays in Greece' part after last years holiday hullabaloo ;)

Queen Máxima told that she expects a new dynamic to develop inside Huis ten Bosch now the two eldest daughters fly out. She was curious to see the blossoming of Ariane in a whole new family setting.

I hadn’t thought of it, but it’s true that things will change for Ariane this coming year as much as they will for Amalia and Alexia. With both older sisters gone she’ll get to experience being an only child for awhile!

I guess Maxima and WA will find things very different at home from now on.

The king is not an ordinary person going on a Sunweb package deal vacation to Chersonissos. If we have to compare the king to ordinary Dutch people -as is suggested above- perhaps the state should move the family to a terraced house with a maintanance-free backyard in Zoetermeer and use the palace as a museum. He is the king, maintained and feted at great expense by the Dutch tax payer. Expectations will obviously be higher than for the average citizen as a consequence.

I am not quite sure if it was a good look if the king - the father of the nation so to speak- was leaving for Greece while 10.000s of his countrymen were being evacuated. They were leaving their houses to flee for what could have been a disaster. What does their king do? Pack his bags to get out of the country as quickly as possible to be on his tacky boat & in the Greek sun.

The king is lucky that there is so much news [floodings, NL becoming a 'red' COVID zone again due to incompetence of the government and the murdered journalist Peter R de Vries] that the press did not pick up on this- even though there were quite a few acid remarks on social media. It is a pity he ever bought this Greek place because nearly each gaffe has this doomed house in the middle of it. The republican movement must be very grateful that the king has bought it as it is a gift that keeps on giving.

If you compare the King's mumbled words in the garden to the speech of the president of Germany one wonders what the added value is of having a monarchy at all. It seems more and more that the king is either a miss-fit for the function or that he has very bad advisors. Let's hope he will not wait to long to hand the whole thing over to his daughter, who hopefully is a safer pair of hands. Provided there is still something left to give of course.

Last edited:
Marengo I agree with you. With all that has happened, the King and Queen should show more compassion for their citizens.
Without forgetting that in Holland there are also many places where they could spend holidays.
I don't see, for example, King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia having this kind of attitude in a situation like this.

Last edited:
The king is not an ordinary person going on a Sunweb package deal vacation to Chersonissos. If we have to compare the king to ordinary Dutch people -as is suggested above- perhaps the state should move the family to a terraced house with a maintanance-free backyard in Zoetermeer and use the palace as a museum. He is the king, maintained and feted at great expense by the Dutch tax payer. Expectations will obviously be higher than for the average citizen as a consequence.

I am not quite sure if it was a good look if the king - the father of the nation so to speak- was leaving for Greece while 10.000s of his countrymen were being evacuated. They were leaving their houses to flee for what could have been a disaster. What does their king do? Pack his bags to get out of the country as quickly as possible to be on his tacky boat & in the Greek sun.

The king is lucky that there is so much news [floodings, NL becoming a 'red' COVID zone again due to incompetence of the government and the murdered journalist Peter R de Vries] that the press did not pick up on this- even though I have read quite a few acid remarks on social media. It is a pity he ever bought this Greek place because nearly each gaffe has this doomed house in the middle of it. The republican movement must be very grateful that the king has bought it as it is a gift that keeps on giving.

It has nothing to do with the house because for decades they have had homes in Porto Ercole and (still) in Tavarnelle Val di Pesa as well. It had also nothing to do with boats as the royal family used to float on bigger and more expensive yachts instead of the King's little boat.

There are no any deaths, no any wounded even, in the Dutch floodings. The massive infrastructure works the Dutch did in the last decades seem to have worked relatively well compared to Germany and Belgium, and all this while the Netherlands actually is at the receiving end from the Rhine and the Meuse rivers and is swallowing the German and Belgian floods combined... The Dutch infrastructure has been truly tested and holds it.

So all is relatively well, except in some parts of Southern Limbourg and life goes on. The royal couple has been there. What else could they do? The big clean has started and the Dutch are the world's most insuranced people, so all will soon be repaired. So the King can really enjoy his holiday, like millions of his compatriots now congesting the airports and the Route du Soleil.

Last edited:
Marengo I agree with you. With all that has happened, the King and Queen should show more compassion for their citizens.
Without forgetting that in Holland there are also many places where they could spend holidays.
I don't see, for example, King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia having this kind of attitude in a situation like this.

It is impossible for the royal family to have a private holiday together in overcrowded Netherlands, not to be noticed and not to be disturbed. Any comparison with the immense Iberian peninsula goes limp.

"What else could they do?"

Stick around. That is pretty much the point of a constitutional, non-entitled monarchy...

There's nothing Philippe and Mathilde can do, other than show sympathy, but we saw them there, wading in rubber boots.

It's probably not a good idea to go to Greece again :ermm:, but Marengo, be realistic. As angering as W-A may be, Amalia is not going be Queen within the next decade as long as he's alive. And if he is alive and has decided to step down, she will not be able to fix the mess.

Back
Top Bottom