Dutch Summer Photo Sessions: 2013-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The summer photo session is not only posing for the media, there is also a possibility to ask questions. The King and Queen Máxima indeed were bombed with questions about a whole array of topics.

One of them was about their marriage. The King was asked about the secret of a solid royal marriage?

King Willem-Alexander: "A good marriage is based on humor, conviviality, making time for each other, or just be there for the other. Also to accept that so now and then the other has something to say about you. [....] Also in our marriage it is not always nice weather: sometimes it is raining too."

Queen Máxima: "We share the same passions, especially for our work. We do it with verve and as a team. That is very nice."

In April the King became 50 years old. Has Queen Máxima noted a difference? Not at all the Queen replied: "He is still full of energy and of humor".

Princess Amalia is now at the Sorghvliet Gymnasium in The Hague, while Princess Alaexia just ended her primary school in Wassenaar, last week. Queen Máxima: "The last two years Alexia only heard stories about Sorghvliet-this, and Sorghvliet-that, about teacher-this and teacher-that... Of course she is better prepared than when Amalia started".

Last edited:
I think the setting was a really nice choice - quite different from the previous years but a pleasant change. The AAA's look so grown up now, particularly Ariane! I really like their outfits too.
I always used to think that Ariane was a mixture of WA and Maxima, but now I think that she is resembling her father more now.

I always used to think that Ariane was a mixture of WA and Maxima, but now I think that she is resembling her father more now.

Yes, I agree.
I think Amalia and Ariane look like their father, but Alexia looks more like Maxima (though she has her father's coloring).

I heard on the radio that today's session will be for the last time at the Eikenhorst. Next year the family will finally have moved to Huis ten Bosch.

I heard on the radio that today's session will be for the last time at the Eikenhorst. Next year the family will finally have moved to Huis ten Bosch.
So the renovations are finally wrapping up?

I just love this family. They always make me smile, especially when they have their family photoshoots. They always give the impression that they genuinely enjoy being together and that they don't care how many photographers are watching, they're still going to joke and enjoy their time as a family. Such a nice change from the stiff and formal portraits that we sometimes see from some of the royal families. Very humanizing and, I would imagine, endearing to the Dutch people.

Would love to see Princess Beatrix with them all.The photos are nice and casual but the girls look so grown up ,thankfully Maxima is wearing something normal.

Im waiting for a full video...
Nice photos again allthough they are the same every year ;)

The Dutch are statistically the tallest people in Europe. And that is something the girls live up to!

The main points of the interview:

About the move to Huis ten Bosch

- They hope to move at the end of this year/ early next year. Huis ten Bosch will not be completely ready. The wing where they will be ready but other parts still need more work. The king said he hoped to be there around Christmas time.

- They had 15 wonderful years at the Eikenhorst, where the girls were raised. The Queen said she would have a little 'heimwee' (homesickness) about the Eikenhorst and they will need to get used in their new palace. She added that now one of the girls has the same hight as her.

- The do not know yet what the new destination of Villa Eikenhorst will be, that will be decided later.

- The princesses are involved with decorating their own rooms. Both the king and queen emphasized that the rooms would be practical. The girls are involved in the colors that will be used. When the reporter asked what colors they picked, the queen was hesitant to answer (to private perhaps?), but the king helped her out by saying that it would not be pink nor blue.

About the death of Ines

- The queen says it is a difficult time, but life goes on. She tries to focus on her girls -who are doing great, and on her work. This gives her energy but it remains very difficult.

- The queen says she felt supported by the amount of letters she received, also after the death of her father. But especially after her short speech in Groningen a lot of people told her that they had a simular experience and that the speech helped them to talk about it. This gave her comfort, that people can support each other and that her sharing the experience may be of some help to others.

Holidays

- They will be swimming, reading, playing games. They will not be cooking much, as they will be eating out a lot with friends.

- A reporter (who addresses them with the informal 'jullie' instead of the formal 'u' - a first AFAIK) asks their majesties how they handle the holiday period, as a lot of parents have trouble keeping their children of the i-pads. The kings says that they have 'screen-less' weeks during the holiday where the children are not allowed to use mobile devices or television.

--
The NOS subtitled the queen, which is the first time that I can recall.

Last edited:
:previous: ? It's the tulips.
As soon as people in the Netherlands are exposed to tulips they shoot up.

It's true. I read it on the Net. ;) - Or perhaps I dreamed it... It gets confusing sometimes. :ermm:

Lovely photos of the family today! The AAA's are incredibly tall now indeed, though I can imagine that Maxima's genes are also helping as well as their Dutch genes, since Maxima has always seemed quite tall to me too. Alexia seems to be very confident and she seems to be enjoying the cameras; she looks a lot like Maxima IMO.
Interesting that the family are moving to Huis ten Bosch, it's a lovely palace and probably my favourite of the Dutch royal residences aside from Het Loo. Fun to hear about the AAA's rooms! I hope they have a nice summer holiday.

Nice pictures of what’s always seemed to be a lovely family.

All three girls look quite poised but still cheerful and natural. Amalia and Alexia, in particular, seem like confident young women.

I assume Ariane will come around too. She seemed very outgoing and totally fine with these photoshoots when she was younger. Until a few years ago it was Alexia who seemed more shy but attending secondary education seems to have given her a lot of self confidence.

Wow they are all so tall! Amalia almost catches up with her mama. And love her mature confidence. Lovely photo.

The girls are so grown up! Love how relaxed and "at ease" they seem in front of all the cameras as I would imagine that will help them in the year ahead.

So impressive and very natural. :flowers: Lovely family.

I can't believe how tall CA is! Looking at the pictures she and her Max are practically the same height!

Girls are half-Argentinians:D

Maxima born in Argentina, but does she has any ancestors Argentinean Indian from Argentina?
I think if Maxima has a dna test done she might not show any Argentinean in her.
That born their does not mean is in her dna.

Maxima born in Argentina, but does she has any ancestors Argentinean Indian from Argentina?
I think if Maxima has a dna test done she might not show any Argentinean in her.
That born their does not mean is in her dna.

Máxima's maternal family (Cerruti) is from Genua, Italy.
Máxima's paternal family (Zorreguieta) is from Basque, Spain.

But both lines are in Argentina for generations.

Hola have an article about the jewels Queen wear to the summer photo session:

"The pendant that Máxima carried is called "Condor" and refers to the bird of the Andes, a national symbol of Argentina, the native country of the queen. The Andean condor has an important role in the folklore and mythology of the South American country and is a very popular species in Patagonia, one of the preferred regions of Máxima and his family. Last year, for example, the Dutch kings and their daughters enjoyed a private vacation in the province of Chubut, where Cerro Cóndor is located, a town where some of the largest specimens of that bird live.
In combination with her cowboy dress, the Dutch queen also wore a striking bracelet engraved with the word "Max" and the drawing of a crown, possibly also by the Aracano firm. Another funny nod to Argentina, her native country, but also to her rank as queen consort of the Netherlands."

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_holanda/20180717127216/mensaje-oculto-maxima-de-holanda/

Máxima's maternal family (Cerruti) is from Genua, Italy.
Máxima's paternal family (Zorreguieta) is from Basque, Spain.

But both lines are in Argentina for generations.

It is really Italian-Spanish from both parental sides so to see:

Parents
Jorge Horacio Zorreguieta Stefanini (politician, state secretary)
María del Carmen Cerruti Carricart

Grandparents
Juan Antonio Zorreguieta Bonorino (banker)
Cesina Stefanini Borella
Jorge Horacio Cerruti de Sautu (landowner, medical surgeon)
María del Carmen Carricart Cieza

Great-grandparents
Amadeo Zorreguieta Hernández (mayor, minister)
Máxima Blanca Bonorino González
Oreste Stefanini (maritime entrepreneur from Genua, Italy)
Tullia Borella
Santiago Anastacio Cerruti Ponce de León (landowner, medical surgeon)
María Mercedes de Sautu Martínez
Domingo Carricart Etchart (landowner, banker, mayor)
Carmen Cieza Rodríguez

I see that Maxima has at least two medical doctors in her family's past and that she was given a family Christian name. Also, I do not think that Maxima looks indigenous; she looks German to me!

Any news about this year's summer photo session? Can't wait to see the WA, Maxima and the A-team together again!

I see that Maxima has at least two medical doctors in her family's past and that she was given a family Christian name. Also, I do not think that Maxima looks indigenous; she looks German to me!

That wide smiling face appears to be very celtic Basque from her father’s side.

Back
Top Bottom