Dutch State Visit to Poland: June 24-25, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucien

Majesty
City
Amsterdam
Country
Netherlands
:polandflag::dutchstandard:

TM have accepted an invitation by President Bronislav Komorovski of Poland for a State Visit this summer,June 24th & 25th,as was announced by the RVD this afternoon.

It will be the first fullblown outgoing State Visit by the Dutch King and Queen

Visit Program

June 24
-The King and Queen will arrive at the military airport in Warsaw
-The King and Queen are officially welcomed by President Komorowski and First Lady Komorowska at the Presidential Palace
-The King and the President inspect a military guard of honour
-The King and Queen have an audience with the President and First Lady at the Presidential Palace
-The King and Queen lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
-The King and Queen attend a lunch with government representatives
-The King and Queen visit the Polish parliament, the Sejm
-The King and Queen visit the Museum of the Warsaw Uprising
-The King and Queen meet with veterans at the Maczek Monument, which commemorates the liberation of the south of the Netherlands by the 1st Polish Armoured Division
-The King and Queen attend at state banquet hosted by the President at the Presidential Palace

June 25
-The King and the President speak at the Dutch-Polish business seminar, Innovation, Solutions for a Common Future
-The King and Queen participate in a roundtable meeting of Dutch and Polish businesses
-The King and Queen meet with the Dutch community
-The King and Queen attend a concert of pianists Lucas and Arthur Jussen
-The King and Queen attend a networking lunch
-The King and Queen visit the CLIP Terminal in Poznań
-The King and Queen speak with representatives of Dutch-Polish transport groups
-The King and Queen tour an entrepreneurial market focusing on agriculture, food, horticulture and water
-The King and Queen attend a closing reception

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/nieuws/nieuwsberichten/2014/mei/staatsbezoek-aan-polen-(2)/

Not the best start for a first state visit: the visit is short, there is no contra-dinner/concert by the king for the Polish president and it seems like a glorified economic mission.
Although Poland has become an important trading partner ánd the Polish economy is still growing a lot, I would stiill have preferred WA's first state visit to go to a country that is historically more important to The Netherlands like Belgium/Luxembourg or the UK.

Edit: I see that the pianist concert before the 'networking lunch' is supposed to be the 'contra prestation'. Let's hope that this state visit is not a blue print for what is to come during this reign as it seems to be substantially scaled down.

Well, at least they didn't forget to schedule a meeting with the Polish veterans who helped to liberate our country in the Second World War.

Last edited:
Not the best start for a first state visit: the visit is short, there is no contra-dinner/concert by the king for the Polish president and it seems like a glorified economic mission.
Although Poland has become an important trading partner ánd the Polish economy is still growing a lot, I would stiill have preferred WA's first state visit to go to a country that is historically more important to The Netherlands like Belgium/Luxembourg or the UK.

Edit: I see that the pianist concert before the 'networking lunch' is supposed to be the 'contra prestation'. Let's hope that this state visit is not a blue print for what is to come during this reign as it seems to be substantially scaled down.

Well, at least they didn't forget to schedule a meeting with the Polish veterans who helped to liberate our country in the Second World War.

Is there much interest in the visit in the Netherlands? The reason I ask as I assume there's a large Polish community in the Netherlands,for example in the 2011 Irish census ,Poles make up 2.7% of the Irish population (122,585).

The interest isn't that high, which is odd since it is the first state visit for the king (neither is it in Poland I gather). The media focusses on football, football and football. But I am sure that most newspapers will publish a picture tomorrow with some info.

The state visit is combined with a trade mission of 4 days btw.

It is an odd choice for a first state visit, as those traditionally went to Belgium, Luxembourg or Germany. But well, Poland is the only EU country that is booming despite the crisis, so I gather that is the reason why Foreign Affairs selected it.

According to the correspondent of the NOS there are some changes in comparison to a state visit by Beatrix. Mainly that the pace of the programme is higher and that there is (even) more attention for trade. And it is a great way to honor the Polish soldiers who liberated our country, one of the last times that is possible while some of them are still alive maybe.

Edit: it seems that the Queen didn't change clothes for the programme in the afternoon, as was usually the case for state-visits of her mother-in-law.

Last edited:
Banquet is black tie affair. Queen is wearing repeted purple asymetric dress with red belt and (I think) diamond ruby peackok tiara. She looks glamorous. No orders.

Here's an extra gallery of the state banquet yesterday - several of the above posted galleries from yesterday have also been updated in the meantime!

** ppe gallery **

Small attendance and modest dressing ladies . To me Queen Maxima was too glittering specially on her arrival with big and long diamond earrings.
This is just my personal opinion.

I don't understand Maxima at all. It looks like she can't stop to scream 'I'am a QUEEN! I HAVE dresses! I HAVE jewels! I HAVE MONEY!!!'
It's disappointing :(

Well, she is and she has.
Her dressing is not different from Beatrix. The standards at Dutch court are just different than in f.e. Belgium or Spain. They still use hats, gloves, brooches and hat pins for the more official events. Máxima didn't invent this, she was 'trained' by the court. If anything, she dressed down during this visit, as Beatrix always changed clothes for the afternoon.
The 'problem' is that the complete picture is often anything but elegant, as the queen likes bold colours, excessive make-up, weird / ill fitting (Natan) designs and usually there is too much going on.
She loves jewels... and the family has a lot of them. Why let these pretty items collect dust in the vaults? For the banquet she used a mid-sized tiara, which is fitting enough. She will leave the whopper tiaras for bigger events perhaps. The big earrings in the morning could have been shortened though (she used a shorter version of them in the evening).

Note that the GDss of Luxembourg also wore a tiara for the banquet during the Lux. state visit to Poland.

-----
A picture gallery of this morning:

http://warszawa.naszemiasto.pl/arty...olewska-w-warszawie-zdjecia,2334582,t,id.html

Last edited:
Marengo ,
I agree and disagree !
The Grand Duchess wore one of her smallest tiara for the Poland State Visit.

For et sister in law's wedding which was private , Maxima was overdressed and stole the show not even for the bride but more for her husband HM the King of the Netherlands.

Queen Maxima is exactly that - QUEEN MAXIMA - She has both the jewels and panache to wear such exotic outfits. If she did not dress/display the jewels and appear in all her finery then why bother with monarchy at all. She is simply stunning, makes the moat of what the Dutch heritage has to offer and I can only hope that the other "younger" Royals take a leaf out of her book.

I don't understand Maxima at all. It looks like she can't stop to scream 'I'am a QUEEN! I HAVE dresses! I HAVE jewels! I HAVE MONEY!!!'
It's disappointing :(

What do you expect her to do? I just watched a video of the state banquet and she looked and behaved exactly what is expected of a Queen. She looked beautiful, glittering and dignified.
"Screaming" for attention (which she clearly does not need to...) looks quite different to me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Marengo ,
I agree and disagree !
The Grand Duchess wore one of her smallest tiara for the Poland State Visit.

For et sister in law's wedding which was private , Maxima was overdressed and stole the show not even for the bride but more for her husband HM the King of the Netherlands.

Well, the Dutch don't have as many small tiaras as the Lux. family has to chose from. This one isn't the largest one by a long shot. According to a royalty reporter she wore this one as a tribute to the Polish flag, which colours are white and red. For me the jewels are not the problem. The bold colours can be as I generally prefer softer tones.

She will outshine her husband in any gala dress, unless her husband decides to wear a dress and a tiara himself IMO. A suit is somehow less interesting to the eye.

Last edited:
I much prefer Maxima's style of wearing and show the treasures of the the Dutch royal family over that of Letizia and Charlene. It's the jewels and the pomp that only royals can display, no one else. If you're going to dress like an office manager or a jet setter than I don't care, anyone can do that. These are constitutional ceremonial positions and in my opinion part of the "ceremony" is allowing the public
see it's treasures. Maxima does it within her own kilowatt smile and inclusive demeanor and I for one applaud her for it.

The Queen was wonderfull and very elegant! As I remember all monarchs (ladies) wore tiaras during banquets in Poland (besides Q Silvia).

I much prefer Maxima's style of wearing and show the treasures of the the Dutch royal family over that of Letizia and Charlene. It's the jewels and the pomp that only royals can display, no one else. If you're going to dress like an office manager or a jet setter than I don't care, anyone can do that. These are constitutional ceremonial positions and in my opinion part of the "ceremony" is allowing the public
see it's treasures. Maxima does it within her own kilowatt smile and inclusive demeanor and I for one applaud her for it.
Queen Maxima looks very natural in grand jewells, wide-brimmed hats, and bold colours. The other ladies mentioned tend to look like poor relatives, regardless of what they wear.

Last edited:
Queen Maixima looks stunning. The other ladies are drab, but I think that is a hangover from the Communist days or perhaps, what they like.

Queen Maixima looks stunning. The other ladies are drab, but I think that is a hangover from the Communist days or perhaps, what they like.

Clothes from Communsit days??? :ermm::ermm:

It is sad what you said...

Last edited:
Sorry, but to us in the West, the clothing worn by people in Eastern Bloc countries, not just Poland, in those days were drab and unbecoming. It didn't make the people bad, it just said your choices were limited. You may want to dispute that, but I, believe, it is more than my opinion. I do not want to insult you, it was just an honest observation.

Back
Top Bottom