Dutch State Visit to Italy and Vatican City: June 20-23, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad to have them as a king and queen. Beatrix was great and these two move forward smoothly.

Pricness Christina has a sassy walking stick ;).

Poor Mr. Valentino must have been horrified to see this altered version of his great dress but nice that he attended tonight's event as well. It seems that he came with the prince and princess of Colonna but I am not sure if the caption is correct. IIRC Princess/Queen Juliana was befriended members of the family but I may be mixing them up with the Corsini's.

Janine Jansen looks gracious as ever.

Last edited:
Pricness Christina has a sassy walking stick ;).

Poor Mr. Valentino must have been horrified to see this altered version of his great dress but nice that he attended tonight's event as well. It seems that he came with the prince and princess of Colonna but I am not sure if the caption is correct. IIRC Princess/Queen Juliana was befriended members of the family but I may be mixing them up with the Corsini's.

Janine Jansen looks gracious as ever.

how was the original verson?

The top of Maxima's gown reminds me of what she wore to Frederick and Mary's wedding. The bottom looks different.

The top of Maxima's gown reminds me of what she wore to Frederick and Mary's wedding. The bottom looks different.
It actually is the same dress as the one she wore to the wedding. Only she added lace to the bottom of the dress after the wedding!

how was the original verson?
It was the dress she wore to prince Frederik and princess Mary's wedding. But she added lace after that wedding.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice to see maxima recycling an old wedding guest dress from all the way back in 2004! i always like seeing old pieces reappearing with a few tweaks here and there to suit the new times.

No tiara and no orders sadly, but that was to be expected. The queen wears a long dress and veil at least. The king just in his business suit.

Marengo , that was in the past !
As officlal Visit the Queen of the Netherlands was in black , her sister in law who is catholic in black too because she is not a Catholic Head of State as Queens Mathilde and Letitzia and the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.

But Queen Maxima looks great and I like her lace Veil.

The King and Queen were not in gala with Orders et al, but it works both ways: the Pope himself did not dress up wearing choir dress and mozzeta for receiving State Visits as was the use for his predecessors.

I have never seen Francesco in official dress, aside Mass. He sticks to his daily white soutane, with black trousers and shoes under it. His idea of being a "poor Pope" sitting on the billions of the Holy See.

I was already expecting this: knowing this Pope, the dress code would be simple. Queen Máxima would have packed out if she could. Under Benedict XVI, a stickler to papal traditions, the King and Queen would have worn white tie and Orders, as they already did for the Investiture of the current Pope.

Last edited:
Is any Video of Maxima peaking with the Pope, Would like to know if they spoke inSpanish!

Is any Video of Maxima peaking with the Pope, Would like to know if they spoke inSpanish!

I am pretty sure they did. I believe Máxima and her Argentinian family actually know Cardinal Bergoglio personally from his time back in Argentina, don't they ?

interesting to see maxima curtsying to the pope - she clearly knows her protocol as a catholic queen, even if her country isn't catholic.

yes, maxima spoke in spanish with the pope, as you would expect. they have met the pope in the past and already spoke in spanish with him back then.

I am pretty sure they did. I believe Máxima and her Argentinian family actually know Cardinal Bergoglio personally from his time back in Argentina, don't they ?

At the time of his election to the papacy I remember reading that Cardinal Bergoglio did indeed know the Zorriegueta familly.

Interesting detail of the State Visit: the King received a commander's bâton which belonged to William of Nassau, Prince of Orange (1533-1584). It was captured during the Battle of Mookerheide in 1574. Two brothers of the Prince died in that battle.

The commander's bâton was captured and held Don Luis de Requesens y Zúñiga, the Governor of the Low Countries for the King of Spain. It was held by the Requesens family until it became extinct, it was then given in depôt at a Jesuit monastery.

Dutch royals pick up 400-year-old family heirloom during Vatican visit | CatholicHerald.co.uk

A picture of the King with the more than 4 centuries old bâton.

William of Nassau, Prince of Orange with such a bâton: picture.

William II of Nassau, Prince of Orange (grandson of the previous) with such a bâton: picture.

Interesting detail of the State Visit: the King received a commander's bâton which belonged to William of Nassau, Prince of Orange (1533-1584). It was captured during the Battle of Mookerheide in 1574. Two brothers of the Prince died in that battle.

The commander's bâton was captured and held Don Luis de Requesens y Zúñiga, the Governor of the Low Countries for the King of Spain. It was held by the Requesens family until it became extinct, it was then given in depôt at a Jesuit monastery.

Dutch royals pick up 400-year-old family heirloom during Vatican visit | CatholicHerald.co.uk

A picture of the King with the more than 4 centuries old bâton.

William of Nassau, Prince of Orange with such a bâton: picture.

William II of Nassau, Prince of Orange (grandson of the previous) with such a bâton: picture.

Was the bâton returned to the Dutch royal family or did the King just hold it during the visit ?

i loved maxima's fashion choices this time (she truly knows how to dress like a queen), with one exception: that summery dress in white with red and blue riveting. i am rather impartial to the queen wearing something which leaves her arms and shoulders so exposed on a public engagement. but... i understand that the engagement was outdoors and the weather was rather lovely and that she did indeed cover herself with a cardigan to enter the church.

Was the bâton returned to the Dutch royal family or did the King just hold it during the visit ?

Knowing the "quality" of Google translations: it was a gift by the superior-general of the Jesuits to the King, who -on his turn- has given it in use to the National Military Museum in The Netherlands, to be exhibited to the public.

The Jesuits themselves received it from the Spanish National Archives which got lots of material from the Requesens family upon extinction. Because the Archives are specialized in documents and not artefacts, somehow this Commander's Bâton ended in a Spanish Jesuit monastery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom