The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-05-2021, 03:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Dutch State Visit to Greece: 13-15 December 2021

"His Majesty the King and Her Majesty Queen Máxima pay a state visit to Greece at the invitation of President Katerina Sakellaropoulou.

The visit will take place from Monday 13 to Wednesday 15 December. The state visit is a confirmation of the good relations between the two countries. During the visit, attention will be paid to bilateral and international relations in the fields of economy and innovation, sustainability, migration and human rights.'

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/actuee...an-griekenland

Old 10-05-2021, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Looking forward to this visit,the King and Queen have a fondness for Greece.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:15 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Is it common to invite members of the Greek RF to a state dinner in Greece? Such as happens in Portugal with the Duke and Duchess of Bragança. As Prince Nicholas and Princess Tatiana are living in Greece it would be nice if they could receive an invitation for the banquet.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Is it common to invite members of the Greek RF to a state dinner in Greece? Such as happens in Portugal with the Duke and Duchess of Bragança. As Prince Nicholas and Princess Tatiana are living in Greece it would be nice if they could receive an invitation for the banquet.
I had thought of Prince Nicholas and Princess Tatiana but if they were indeed invited would it be a first in Greece by the Republic?
Old 10-05-2021, 08:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Is it common to invite members of the Greek RF to a state dinner in Greece?
I am not aware of any instance where a member of the GRF has been invoted to a state dinner.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

It was not until 1998 that Juan Carlos and Sofía made their first state visit to Greece, after years of negotiations and diplomatic tensions, Sofia was queen of Spain but she was born a Greek princess and that caused problems. Now things are less tense, Sofia attends events in Greece and even this year made a private visit to the President and the Prime Minister.

Even so, I do not think that the situation has changed so much in the relationship between the Greek authorities and the rest of the royal family that they are invited to a high-level event such as a State Visit.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:30 AM
Courtier

Queen Sofia is received by the Greek authorities as a representative of a foreign State, Spain, not as a member of the Greek Royal House. Her private visit to the President of the Republic and the Prime Minister, obviously, have no relation to the Greek royal family, she does not represent this royal house, she represents to her country and her Royal House, the spanish, and the interes of these.
Her Foundation is managing projects to prevent the extinction of turtles in Greece (this was the motive of her private visit).

No member of the Greek Royal family is going to be invited to any state gala by Greece, . The current Greek government has no relationship with the Royal Family, the 1994 law has not been repealed, King Constantine does not have a Greek passport and he has said it that he does not have any relationship with the government.

Regarding the Netherlands, it could. The Netherlands are free to invite personalities from Greek society to this official visit, but I think that no because I do not remember that the embassy of the Netherlands would had invited to Nikolaos and Tatiana to the private parties at the embassy, It could be, but I think that no.

The only two countries that would invite or have invited officially to members of the Greek Royal Family to a state act, it is obvious that it would be:

- Denmark, if the visit would be of the Queen Margrethe of Denmark, because the King and Queen have Danish passports, and it is obvious, the Royal House of Denmark is very united to King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie (I remember that Queen Margrethe in a official visit to US, she o the Embassy of Denmark invited to Crown Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie Chantal. And the Princess Mary to Prince Philippos, in US (he has not danish passport)

- And the Embassy of the United States, in fact, when President Obama visited Athens and he gave a conference , years ago, the US Embassy invited to members of the Royal Family, Prince Nikolaos and Princess Tatiana were presents .
Old 10-05-2021, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am not aware of any instance where a member of the GRF has been invoted to a state dinner.
Exactly what was thinking too but might be a good opportunity to offer an olive branch?
Old 10-06-2021, 04:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

The King and Queen can invite Greek royals for their return event on the second evening of the State Visit.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The King and Queen can invite Greek royals for their return event on the second evening of the State Visit.
They could. But would it be diplomatically wise to do so?
Old 10-06-2021, 04:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
They could. But would it be diplomatically wise to do so?
I think that's right, it would not be the right thing for W-A and Max to invite the former King and Queen to the return dinner.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I think that's right, it would not be the right thing for W-A and Max to invite the former King and Queen to the return dinner.

The Greek royals are citizens of Greece and are no personas-non-grata. On itself there is nothing against an invitation to Greek royals, for an example Crown Prince and -Princess Pavlos.

But having said that: the Dutch State Visits are quite businesslike. Then the Dutch delegation probably sees more in giving a place to a Greek industrialist, entrepreneur, banker or start-up than to a former Greek royal.

It is the same as with the State Visit Germany: better an invitation to the CEO of Volkswagen or the CEO of Deutsche Bank, than an invitation to Prince Georg Friedrich. The Dutch royals seem not to (mis)use their State Visits for maintaining friendly relations with other royal families.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
The Greek royals are citizens of Greece and are no personas-non-grata. On itself there is nothing against an invitation to Greek royals, for an example Crown Prince and -Princess Pavlos.

But having said that: the Dutch State Visits are quite businesslike. Then the Dutch delegation probably sees more in giving a place to a Greek industrialist, entrepreneur, banker or start-up than to a former Greek royal.

It is the same as with the State Visit Germany: better an invitation to the CEO of Volkswagen or the CEO of Deutsche Bank, than an invitation to Prince Georg Friedrich. The Dutch royals seem not to (mis)use their State Visits for maintaining friendly relations with other royal families.
When the King and Queen of Netherlands paid a state visit to Portugal they invited the Duke and Duchess of Bragança, so I don't see why in this case they couldn't invite King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie and some of their children, namely the Prince Nikolaos who resides in Greece. Dutch royalty has good relations with the Greek royal family.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Dutch royalty has good relations with the Greek royal family.
Indeed. However, relations between the GRF and the Government of Greece are not great. W-A and Max and there, on this state visit, to engage with the government of Greece on behalf of the government of the Netherlands, amd not spend time with their friends, the former GRF.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:31 AM
Serene Highness

I could be wrong but the biggest difference is in Portugal the Bragança (maybe also the nobility) are recognized by authority (even though they have no power). The former Greek royal family, I would say they're irrelevant to current Greece.

Plus, I don't remember there are any state visits to Greece (republic) from reigning monarch in the past had involved the former Greek royal family. I think that said a lot for the government attitude to the former royal family. No matter how close the relationship is, if inviting someone that isn't welcome by the host, that will be rude and a diplomatic mistake
Old 10-07-2021, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Dutch royalty has good relations with the Greek royal family.
The issue is the Greek Republic and the former Royal Family not the relationship with the Dutch RF and the Greeks RF.