Dutch State Visit to Canada and Official Visit to the USA: May 27-29 & June 1-3, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
at the State capital

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGcXJMpW8AIageR.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGcYIfGUIAEl3f_.jpg

The Baseball game they were supposed to attend has been postponed due to rain.

Netherlands Embassy ‏@NLintheUSA 6m6 minutes ago Washington, DC Unfortunately, the @Nationals game is cancelled due to severe weather conditions. So, no Dutch-American Night tonight. #NLroyalvisit

Try rain and thunder and lightening. When I turned on the Blue Jays Pre Game and saw the weather in Washington, the Parents up here clearly heard me venting my...displeasure. I was so hoping to see Their Majesties being there, possibly meeting my Blue Jays and in turn that inspiring them to play far better than they have been of late.

Sigh....Not going to happen though thanks to Mother Nature darn it!! :(

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

A video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsNG6gW_KVI

The king and queen still met war veterans at the stadium, so that is good.

According to Marlene Koenig, the meeting with several parlementarians was rushed. The king and queen also met Nancy Pelosi and her family. Her daughter Alexandra is married to a Dutch journalist and documentary maker Michiel Vos, with whom she has two children.

https://twitter.com/royalmusing/status/605560015634722817

Lot's of photos of the first day by mrs. Koenig. Including the menu.
http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.nl/2015/05/willem-alexander-and-maximas-first-day.html

I doubt that there will be a state visit to the US at a later point. The White House must get tons of requests for those each year, while they have little time to spare. There must be 100s of other countries that will get priority. I am sure Foreign Affairs already had trouble 'stealing' this much of the time of the president (10 minutes or so?). IIRC Beatrix made a state visit to Reagan and later an official visit to Clinton. So another official visit in 15-20 years may be possible.

According to NRC Handelsblad the visit to the US is not a state visit as our Foreign Affairs department has other priorities, mainly the new growth economies. But that seems nonsense as Canada and Japan aren't among those. The only reason can be that the White House/ State Department didn't want a visit that would take up more of their time (with good reason for sure). Of course nobody will say that in public as it will hurt our ego.

Let's hope that Foreign Affairs will be more succesfull with the UK, though a state visit before/ right after Cameron's anti-EU-referendum seems unlikely.

Last edited:
At congres the Dutch king and queen met the 'Dutch caucus', a group of parlementarians with connections to The Netherlands. At the end it was the intended for the king and queen to take a look at the rotunda, a space under the dome of the building. A painting was shown there that depicts the departure of pilgrims from the harbor of Delfshaven.

Nancy Pelosi however had a different plan. She guided the king and queen to a painting next to 'the pilgrim' where her family was standing (as I said above, her son-in-law is Dutch).

Pelosi leidt koning naar ander schilderij - Vorsten

Fortune favors the bold, I suppose ;).

June 2, 2015 - King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima during the reception at Grand Rapids airport on the second day of the official visit to the US.

Picture ** ANP picture gallery

we are rushed, not the king and queen.

The king and queen still met war veterans at the stadium, so that is good.

According to Marlene Koenig, the meeting with several parlementarians was rushed. The king and queen also met Nancy Pelosi and her family. Her daughter Alexandra is married to a Dutch journalist and documentary maker Michiel Vos, with whom she has two children.

https://twitter.com/royalmusing/status/605560015634722817

I covered all the DC events, except World Bank.
Royal Musings: Royal Couple at Congress

Royal Musings: Royal visit: at National Building Museum

Royal Musings: Compassionate Queen Maxima at Arlington National Cemetery
Royal Musings: Royal visit: at National Building Museum
Royal Musings: Royal Couple at Audie Murphy's grave at Arlington

Royal Musings: Royal visit: More from Arlington, Laying of the Wreath

Royal Musings: King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima at Arlington

we are rushed, not the king and queen.

State visits are rare these days in Washington, as current admin prefers less formal working visits.

Last edited by a moderator:
State visits are rare these days in Washington, as current admin prefers less formal working visits.

The state visit to Canada was linked to the celebration of the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands by Anglo-Canadian forces, wasn't it ?

The state visit to Canada was linked to the celebration of the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands by Anglo-Canadian forces, wasn't it ?

Yes, it was.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

http://nos.nl/artikel/2039217
The King and Queen attended a Dance-music seminar and unexpectedly joined the Dj's on the podium.
There is a short video if you click on the picture and scroll right.

I really suggest His Majesty to use the summer break for some fitness. He is visibly gaining a LOT of weight...

The queen on the other hand seems to have lost some weight. Which wasn't really needed IMHO, but good for her.

The weight: he appeared a bit chubby in the late 90-ties which was later revealed to have been caused by the use of medicine. We do not know what causes his present weight, but perhaps it is best to hope that it is good food. Apart from that, the king might consider a new hairstyle. Something less Donald Trumpesque.

Although I am sure they have next to no coverage in the US, I am surprised that the visit doesn't get that much coverage in The Netherlands either. Not exotic or controversial enough to be interesting perhaps. Just a photo somewhere in the newspaper of a smiling King and Queen with a short caption .

Last edited:
The queen on the other hand seems to have lost some weight. Which wasn't really needed IMHO, but good for her.

The weight: he appeared a bit chubby in the late 90-ties which was later revealed to have been caused by the use of medicine. We do not know what causes his present weight, but perhaps it is best to hope that it is good food. Apart from that, the king might consider a new hairstyle. Something less Donald Trumpesque.

Although I am sure they have next to no coverage in the US, I am surprised that the visit doesn't get that much coverage in The Netherlands either. Not exotic or controversial enough to be interesting perhaps. Just a photo somewhere in the newspaper of a smiling King and Queen with a short caption .

The local Michigan and Chicago media (print, tv) have been covering the visit. The same cannot be said of the DC media for the DC portion. Absolutely nothing. Except me (but I was accredited as Dutch press)

NOT happy. the security was VERY tight today in Chicago...overdone. I waited two hours and between the federal agents and the secret service and the Chicago PD, you would have though the president was coming. They got out of their car and smiled and waved, but were basically pushed into the building while serious looking agents kept everyone away.

The king has hidden talents, namely as DJ. Several clips show the king, queen, courtiers and others dancing:

'DJ Willem-Alexander' draait house in Chicago | NOS

Koningspaar promoot dance in Chicago|Muziek| Telegraaf.nl

Dj Willem-Alexander gaat helemaal uit z'n dak | RTL Nieuws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOHaHrC-Ooo

During the Q&A with the press at the end of the visit, the king answered some questions about the restauration costs for Huis ten Bosch. He emphasized that the building is owned by the state and that the state decides what has to be done, not him.

The queen will not return to the Netherlands just yet, as she is in the US anyway, it was handy to combine these visits with a visit to the UN in New York.

As a side note: the largest gossip magazine has used pictures of banquet in Canada and suggested that the queen is too drastic with her weight loss.

Last edited:
:previous:

It's (almost) all my friends are talking about. Before this, they didn't even really know about the visit. :ROFLMAO: (Other then the front page of the newspaper of course. ;))

Although the State (should) decide what needs to be done, I highly doubt it is as clear as the King suggests.

Last edited:
Millennium Park/Grant park in Chicago is a happening place and I'm thrilled the couple wandered out to listen to the music. The combined park is 2.28 sq km. Fountains, outdoor stage, theatre, memorials, ice rink, formal and informal gardens, play spaces, quiet spaces, plazas, pavilions, promenades, sculpture parks and lake views abound. There is always just something worth doing going on there. It's adjacent to the Art Institute of Chicago and the old shopping district. Perfect place for the King and Queen to cap off their tour. Good for them.

All newspapers had the picture of the King with Obama on FrontPage. Yesterday a special program was broadcast on the visits to Canada and the USA. Every evening in the News on all channels (NPO, RTL, etc.) there was attention for it, besides the usual daily society programs as RTL Boulevard, Heart of the Netherlands, commenting fashion, etc. Coming Saturday "Blauw Bloed" will have a special on this visit. Comparing with -for an example- what I can see from the Belgian or the British television (I can receive VRT, RTBf, BBC 1 and 2, Sky, ITV, Channel 4 and 5) I have the idea the Dutch have more attention for such visits. I never see any special when the King of the Belgians or the Queen of the UK has made a State Visit. Only an item in the News.

NOT happy. the security was VERY tight today in Chicago...overdone. I waited two hours and between the federal agents and the secret service and the Chicago PD, you would have though the president was coming. They got out of their car and smiled and waved, but were basically pushed into the building while serious looking agents kept everyone away.

that is quite the norm for heads of state, etc .. Secret Service keeps people at a distance these days, especially after 9-11. When William and Catherine were in NYC, there were no crowds because State Dept (they don't get SService) and NYPD kept people away, down streets, across streets, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom