Death of Inés Zorreguieta, Queen Máxima's Sister: June 5, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The point M Payton, I think, was trying to make is that W-A's wife and daughters are probably in distress right now and that, as a parent and a husband, he could take a week or so to be there for them.

I understand the King and his counterparts in the Baltic countries have a busy schedule, but the summer is actually a rather uneventful time of the year in most European countries. In fact, many royals take vacations at this time of the year. I don't think it would be that difficult to posatpone those state visits to a later date. The Spanish state visit to the UK for example, for different reasons, was rescheduled twice.

Thank you Mbruno for being understanding of what I was trying to say, you said it so much better then me. Some here have shown such harshness and how insensitive they are to a death in a family.......unbelievable to me, money and duty do not come before family IMHO ever....things have been canceled before as it has been pointed out and will again in the future.....as I have learned in life **Grief knows no time limit ever** we all do it in our own way privately and publicly. Some need to learn that phrase that was pointed out to me and hopefully not the hard way as I did.?

At the end of the day the best people to judge whether or not it was right for WA to carry on with the State visit are him, Maxima and the family.
Let's be honest, I've never got the impression Maxima is a wilting wallflower who'd keep it to herself if she thought her husband should be staying at home. They have grieved together and attend the funeral as a family.
I get the impression both WA and Maxima are, among other things, very professional. This is work and just like in a real everyday job, Maxima who has lost a sister has taken time off while her husband whos lost a sister-in-law is taking longer off. That doesn't mean WA doesn't care, it just the way things work.

Anyway, by going on the state visit WA has given the royal journalists something to focus on and something to do, rather than if they cancelled the press would just go on interfering into the family as they grieve to fill the time.

Indeed, grief has no time limit. Often, the hardest struggle is not right away but in the weeks and months that follow. Postponing the trip could have made for a much more hectic schedule later on as he and his office scrambled to fit a rescheduled visit in amongst other obligations...precisely at those times when the rest of the world will have stopped thinking of Maxima’s grief but when she is still being hit hard by the loss and in need of her partner’s steadying presence.

Cancelling would have been a short-sighted mistake.

Apparently queen Máxim is still in Argentina. At the end of the state visits the king said that of course he had missed Máxima but they had been in touch frequently and he especially had made sure to be in touch with the children as they were back home 'alone'.

Last edited:
Apparently queen Máxim is still in Argentina. At the end of the state visits the king said that of course he had missed Máxima but they had been in touch frequently and he especially had made sure to be in touch with the children as they were back home 'alone'.

It is understandable that Máxima would want to stay a little longer in Argentina with her family . The girls on the other hand had to go back home to be in school. What is not understandable is that King Willem-Akexander would leave them “ home alone” in a moment like that.

Last edited:
It is understandable that Máxima would want to stay a little longer in Argentina with her family . The girls on the other hand had to go back home to be in school. What is not understable is that King Willem-Akexander would leave them “ home alone” in a moment like that.

well, what else can they do? should WA cancel his state visit? should maxima dash back to netherlands and leave her family alone in such unsettling times?

besides, i am sure when he said 'home alone' he meant without him or maxima. i do not for a minute think that the 3 princesses of the netherlands were truly 'home alone' - they most likely have staff such as nannies, tutors and the like, along with their grandma and a bunch of aunts, uncles and cousins who are on hand to support them if needed.

The king indeed stressed that they of course were being taken care off and "it went well, fortunately". He didn't want them to 'fall in a black hole' (is that an expression in English?) after their trip to Buenos Aires. My guess would be that their grandmother princess Beatrix was asked to be with the girls.

The king indeed stressed that they of course were being taken care off and "it went well, fortunately". He didn't want them to 'fall in a black hole' (is that an expression in English?) after their trip to Buenos Aires. My guess would be that their grandmother princess Beatrix was asked to be with the girls.

Its not really an expression you’d use and it might just a literal translation. I think he may mean that he didn’t want them sitting around thinking about the situation and getting really down about it. Going to school, being somewhere familiar would maybe help and distract them. But it was probably awkward/hard to make the decision as everyone will have opinion. I think the family is relatively close and they have their other granny too so they would have people to comfort them

Maxima is still visibly shaken but it's great that she found the courage to speak openly about what happened.

Queen Maxima from Groningen thanked the media for the respect and compassion towards her and her family after the death of her sister " Ines was sick and could not be cured" Queen says.

Video and photos

https://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=2267226

Queen Máxima's words:

„Mijn kleine, lieve, begaafde zusje Inés was ziek. Zij kon geen vreugde vinden. Ze kon niet genezen worden. Onze enige troost is dat ze nu eindelijk vrede heeft kunnen vinden.

En ik wil echt m'n hele grote dank uitspreken voor de talloze brieven berichten en blijken van medeleven. Dat heeft ons echt geholpen. En ik wil danken voor het respect dat iedereen heeft gehad voor mijn familie in deze hele zware periode. Dank, dank.''

-------------

"My little, sweet, gifted sister Inés was sick. She could not find joy. She could not be healed. Our only consolation is that she has found peace, at last.

And I would really like to express my great gratitude for the countless letters and expressions of sympathy. That really helped us. And I want to say "thank you" for the respect everyone has shown to my family during this very difficult period. Thanks, thanks."

Last edited:
That video made me tear up. You can tell she is still coming to terms with the death of her little sister.

Queen Máxima's words:

„Mijn kleine, lieve, begaafde zusje Inés was ziek. Zij kon geen vreugde vinden. Ze kon niet genezen worden. Onze enige troost is dat ze nu eindelijk vrede heeft kunnen vinden.

En ik wil echt m'n hele grote dank uitspreken voor de talloze brieven berichten en blijken van medeleven. Dat heeft ons echt geholpen. En ik wil danken voor het respect dat iedereen heeft gehad voor mijn familie in deze hele zware periode. Dank, dank.''

-------------

"My little, sweet, gifted sister Inés was sick. She could not find joy. She could not be healed. Our only consolation is that she has found peace, at last.

And I would really like to express my great gratitude for the countless letters and expressions of sympathy. That really helped us. And I want to say "thank you" for the respect everyone has shown to my family during this very difficult period. Thanks, thanks."

Thank you for the translation. They are very honest words. I just wanted to hug her after watching the video.

Very brave to do so. Visiting cancer patients was probably a good way for her to start, trying to encourage people to hold on to life as much as possible. In her short speech she also made this reference that these patients still have hope implying that hope was lost for Inés.

That video made me tear up. You can tell she is still coming to terms with the death of her little sister.

she definitely looks emotional and i have huge respect for her stepping in to issue a statement so shortly after such an unexpected death.

she mentioned 'ines could not find joy and could not be cured'. i like how she speaks about mental health as an illness in the hope that this brings more attention to the topic.

i also like how she tied it back to the purpose of her visit. she was visiting a centre for ill / sick people and tied it up with her statement on ines mentioning how ines was also sick. it shows it is not all about her and her tragedy. it also shows that life must go on and that being back in her role is a way forward.

The video also had me in tears for it showed that there is a deep love for her sister and now a loss to be dealt with. I so admire how she is handling this sad time in her life for she needs all the support and love she can get to go on with her life now. As I have learned *grief has no time limit* and now for anyone with facing a death where there was hope for the future and now none, it will take lots of time, as it has been told, *just one day at a time* now.

Hopefully Maxima and the family are really at peace with the statement that Ines could not be cured because this means closure and the healing can begin. Obviously they tried to help her for many years but to no avail.
It's really difficult if they continue to torture themselves with the thought they could have done more but that does not seem to be the case.

Back
Top Bottom