A New Princess of Orange after 125 Years

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marengo said:
I don´t think protocol requires Maxima (or any other crownprincess) to curtsy to the Duchess of Cornwall. I remember that Mette-Marit did curtsy, which was considered rather odd and considered as a sign of respect for the years that the duchess is her senior. It was most certainly not required by protocol.
Doesn't it depend on whose country the princesses are in? E.g. in Denmark, the Dutch, Spanish, British, Swedish, Norwegian, etc. queens would defer to the Queen of Denmark, although monarchs do not curtsy to each other. I think that Crown Princesses do, but I might be wrong. In which country was Mette-Marit when she curtsied to the Duchess?

Polly

Polly said:
In which country was Mette-Marit when she curtsied to the Duchess?

That was during the Norwegian visit to the United Kingdom.

On the cour of Clarence House, The Crown Princess curtsied to The Duchess, which caused a sort of no-no gesture by Camilla of Cornwall and she answered it with kisses.

:flowers:

PrincessDianafan said:
Considering how popular she is, I think she will be Queen.

Yes, Princess Máxima is popular.

However, titles are not determined by popularity. All predecessors who were married to a Prince of Orange, were a Princess of Orange. But Princess Máxima is -officially- not styled as The Princess of Orange.

This can be a forebode for the future. You can regret it, but at the other side, her daughter will become the first female Princess of Orange in her own right, since Claudia de Châlon-d’Arlay, Princess of Orange (1498-1521)....

Until 2002 for the title Prince of Orange there was the same regime as for Prince of Wales now: only sons of a Sovereign could become so. Queen Victoria, Queen Wilhelmina, Queen Juliana, Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Beatrix were Heiresses, but never 'The Princess of Wales' or 'The Princess of Orange'.

So you see... some modernizations are not thát bad. And wasn't it the plan that Camilla of Cornwall would also become a Princess next to a King?

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
That was during the Norwegian visit to the United Kingdom.

On the cour of Clarence House, The Crown Princess curtsied to The Duchess, which caused a sort of no-no gesture by Camilla of Cornwall and she answered it with kisses.

:flowers:
I think, then, that Camilla, would certainly curtsy to Mette-Marit, if she, Camilla, were in Norway.

Am I wrong? I dont' believe so, though I'll happily be corrected.

On the other hand, I do believe that these things are dictated by protocol.

If Camilla travelled to, say, Spain, then she'd be required to curtsy to CP Letizia.

Just my opinion, from what I've read.

Polly

A révérence (curtsy) already says it: you revere someone.

Mette-Marit of Norway and Camilla of Cornwall are ex aequo in terms of protocollair rank. There was no révérence required between the two.

That Mette-Marit still did make a révérence will have to do with the fact that Camilla of Cornwall is an elder lady and that she is the spouse to The Prince of Wales, the doyen of all European Heirs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom