The Crown Prince family's trip abroad

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The people in Norway is has nothing against this. This is not a big deal in Scandinavian press.
So why people in USA and other countries is juding them, i do not understand.

They ar first of all royals for the Norwegian people. And when the opinion in Norway is ok with it, is that what really matters.

So i do not understand why so many of you make so big deal of this.

It is no reason to speculate and create "scandales"

since this is an international message board people are free to discuss and give their opinion and are not bound to what norwegian people may think or have to be norwegian to comment on issues that are relatated to the norwegian royals :rolleyes:

The people in Norway is has nothing against this. This is not a big deal in Scandinavian press.
So why people in USA and other countries is juding them, i do not understand.

They ar first of all royals for the Norwegian people. And when the opinion in Norway is ok with it, is that what really matters.
Well, Scandinavian, in the end you are right. We can all discuss this , like or dislike the idea of the journey; but imo in the end the most important thing is that the Royal couple and the Norwegian people are fine with the CP couple's descission.

since this is an international message board people are free to discuss and give their opinion and are not bound to what norwegian people may think or have to be norwegian to comment on issues that are relatated to the norwegian royals :rolleyes:

I know that, I'm just saying in the end the most important thing is that the norwegian people is fine with it.

I know that, I'm just saying in the end the most important thing is that the norwegian people is fine with it.

Not so sure, in the end they do what they want anyway (eg Haakon getting married to MM or the couple escaping to London, clearly against public opinion). Most Norwegians arent exactly excited about what ML & Ari Behn do but it doesnt have any impact on their actions. Kind of family tradition.

"They do what they want" sounds very negative. It sounds like the CP couple often acts inappropriate which is simply not true. Apart from travelling to London for studying: what else did they ever do that was causing turmoil in Norway (I don't want to mention the pre-wedding time. I just mean their time as CP couple)? And: the Norwegian media only wrote about the journey soon after the announcement. Since then no one really seemed to care about all of this. Well, and imo Märtha and Ari don't really belong into this thread. They are responsible for their own behaviour.

I never said that they behaved not approriately. What I wanted to say is that especially Haakon (I will leave his sister out of this thread) is willing to take unpopular decisions that he thinks is right (choice of spouse, going abroad for some time with MM to study) regardless of public opinion or what Norwegians think about this decision.

Good for him that Norway is quite a tolerant country, I couldnt imagine any other CP couple getting away with travelling, staying out of the country to do studies etc.

1. It was never any turmoil in Norway over the Crown Prince couple studying in London, why would there be? It’s tradition for the heir to the throne to study abroad, why would them taking a year in London be viewed differently than the Crown Prince studying at Berkley in USA as he did? The Crown Princess is also studying part-time now; clearly she sees the importance of improving her knowledge as a future Queen. And what she studied in London has been very relevant to her work later regarding HIV/Aids.

2. In regards to the Crown Prince’s choice in a wife, well he did prove everyone wrong. Mette-Marit did turn out to be well suited to be Crown Princess even though in the beginning a lot of people were screaming she were a bad choice for a future queen. She does a very good job; has taken her responsibilities seriously and won the hearts of the Norwegian people. The negativity, turmoil and to a large extent plain upheave from the press that surrounded the Crown Princess before and right after their engagement is all but gone now, and both of them are well respected and liked by their people. I don’t see why her past has to be dragged up at every turn. People all make mistakes and it wouldn’t be much of a world if people weren’t allowed a fresh start and a new go at it. I think many of her previous life experiences is what makes her such a warm and strong woman.

I think it's a good idea for the CP couple to show their children that not everyone lives the same life that they do. And that their positions in society is a privilege, they should be grateful for what the life that they have and the support they have from their country.

Bad choice...I hope they woulnd't live abroad...What are they thinking about? Crownprinces family MUST live in the country they will rule later. They must travel a lot to know how the world is it; they could eventually spend some motnh abroad...but live out of their countries...Of course, not. :sad::ohmy:

Vanesa.

Bad choice...I hope they woulnd't live abroad...What are they thinking about? Crownprinces family MUST live in the country they will rule later. They must travel a lot to know how the world is it; they could eventually spend some motnh abroad...but live out of their countries...Of course, not. :sad::ohmy:

Vanesa.

They're not moving abroad. They're travelling for 2 months.

I was in Norway a few years ago, I met a lady from Norway she was still not impress with MM. she said that MM goes to schools and colleges but she does not graduate in anything she was concerned that tax payers money is not used falsely.

I think this is a great idea, The only thing that seems odd to me is the timing. It would make more sense to me to go before Ingrid started school.

I was in Norway a few years ago, I met a lady from Norway she was still not impress with MM. she said that MM goes to schools and colleges but she does not graduate in anything she was concerned that tax payers money is not used falsely.
Personally I made other experiences. ;) I have close friends who live in Norway and they all accepted Mette-Marit rather soon. They are no monarchists, but they accept their Royal family. I got the feeling many people in Norway think like this. The monarchy is part of their country and they accept it.

Duke of Marmelade said:
Good for him that Norway is quite a tolerant country,I couldnt imagine any other CP couple getting away with travelling, staying out of the country to do studies etc.
Yesterday I saw a report about the British Royals and once again I recognized that the Norwegian Royals are indeed seen differently in their country then other royals are seen by their people.
While many Royals are followed by the press whatever they do, the Norwegians are able to live rather privately. Of course the press follows them too, but most of the time they are also able to have a rather private life. The King and Queen once said they are glad people accept their privacy; they can go to the cinema and although people recognize them, they don't address them.

Yes, some (mostly) elderly ladies stick firmly and stubborn to their decision, not to accept the Crown Princess, no matter how brillantly she acts in her role...
But, as a norwegian journalist put it, what he answers to them was, that Mette-Marit will be Queen, when they´ll be long gone, no matter how much they dislike her, that there´s nothing they can do about it! And I agree with him that this is quite comforting...

My dears, this centry would see many kingdoms vanish.

No disrespect Hilda, but I always find that an odd comment from American or someone who doesn't live in a particular country. Just as I would someone from another country who speaks about our government. Its very easy to make statements based on one's opinions, a person, what you read from a particular magazine/newspaper (that is usually slanted to one opinion over another), etc.

Do you speak with the average Norwegian (or Dutch, Danes, British, etc.). How do you know what a majority of them feel?

Incedentially it was a young person of MM's age that made the remark that she does not seems to graduate from her studies and it is not the elderly women and men that would topple many of the kingdoms it would be the young generation.

Dearest Zonk I was a British Subject and I travel and read a great deal. If I overstep ped my boundry thank you for keeping me in check.

Dearest Zonk I was a British Subject and I travel and read a great deal. If I overstep ped my boundry thank you for keeping me in check.

Hilda I am not trying to keep you in check. And yes, as British subject you definitely have a "feel" for the average British citizen. Your location says US:flowers:

But I stand with the rest of my statement. I live in Maryland, and I certainly would not feel comfortable speaking on behalf of all of my fellow Americans or Marylanders. And I certainly would not feel comfortable saying that the Norwegians feel that they don't need the royal family. That is my point. And you are not the only person who expresses such views about other countries...that is also one of my points, that I say to them as well.

And I can totally understand why an older generation would question MM past and dedication to her current job. They are and hold a different set of values and opinions. Of which, they are certainly entitled to :flowers:

Finally (to get back on topic) I agree with other posters who stated that Haakon, MM, and the kids living abroad with no information, timeline, etc....is something that would not be acceptable in a lot of countries.

Last edited:
Many of my co-workers and friends have very little interest in royalty. When I've mentioned that I've gone unto this blog, they roll their eyes. To me, this blog has opened up a new world for me. Even though I live in the Central Florida area, I don't in my everyday life met people from other countries. When I do, it's usually if I go to one of the attractions (Disney, EPCOT) or in the Orlando area. In Daytona Beach you don't met too many people from other countries (once in a while you do). Most of these people have been from England, Canada, Germany, Ireland, France.

When I've gone on vacations to other parts of the United States, then I've met a lot more people from other countries. That sounds strange, given that many people from all over the world come to Disney and the Orlando area.

I can't exactly speak for Americans in general or people who live in Florida.

How do we know that a decision like the one of the Crownprince family to stay abroad for several weeks "would not be acceptable in a lot of countries" (like Zonk said)? And even why should that be important in this case? There are still King and Queen to carry out the Royals' duties. The CP family has chosen this way to broaden their mind. Nobody knows for how long there is a chance to do such a travel. As the whole plan is quite exceptional I guess any date would appear to be unfavourable.
I think if they can really take something for themselves from this trip the effects are only good for their country.

Well, I am not British but I am familliar enough with the BRF and based on some newspapers and magazines that I read (which are British). Knowing how there is already a HUGE fuss about security of a Royal wedding, and people did not like paying for Beatrice and Eugenie (the Queen's granddaughters) protection officers when they are clubbing.

I am QUITE comfortable to say that William, Catherine and their kids going abroad to live for a couple of weeks/months WILL NOT go over well. Who is paying for this (i.e. airfare, lodging, etc.). Are we paying for the protection officers, etc.

Not all all. Norway appears to be a more relaxed country and thus this doesn't appear to be bringing a BIG fuss. I am sure someone people aren't happy but its very different. Its one thing to take a vacation (which is greatly criticized in the British press) but you are going to be gone and we (who are supporting you thru our tax dollars) don't know where you are? Nope. Not acceptable for the Brits.

Britain - unthinkable for any heir to the throne. William and Harry were allowed to do what any young British twen aims to do - travelling during the "gap year" between school and university. People could understand that both are important enough that security had to travel with them, but not in Beatrice & Eugenie's case, it attracted huge critizism.

I can only add that in case the Spanish CP couple would bow out for a couple of months to broaden their horizons while travelling foreign countries there would be strong bets that the Spanish monarchy will be the first one to go in Europe, within a couple of years.

People will ask themselves, if they are going to travel on our expense and wont be able to do what they are there for, serving the country, do we need them at all? Then why not let them travel and do what they please while we pay for elected people that we can get rid of quickly if they dont do what pleases us.

I´m pretty convinced that others, also Princes William or Harry, would do the same thing if they were determined to - no matter if they were criticised for it or not.
Of course I cannot be absolutely positive, but from all what I´ve seen and know about W and H (and I "know" them from their day 1 on this planet!) I´m sure they wouldn´t let anyone stop them if this was their desire!

From everything I´ve seen and heard about Princes William and Harry (and I "know" them from their first day on this planet) I´m pretty convinced that they wouldn´t let anyone stop them doing a 2 month trip if they were absolutely determined to - now or at any time in the future. I don´t think this was "unthinkable" at all. And let´s be honest: The two young men never did things the usual and traditional "royal way"....

I think this is an interesting interlude for the Norwegian CP couple and family. It is only for 2 months, so couldn't really be considered as 'bringing up their children in a foreign country' - which most countries are against happening with heirs to the throne.

Although SM is quite young, M is getting to the stage in his education where disruption is not a good idea. Also, the King is not getting any younger and, although he made a good recovery from his recent ill health, it may only be a few years before Haakon has to take over most or all of his work-load as a Regent.

Also, they have said that they are paying for the trip with their private money. Security would have to be provided anyway so it will not be a big extra to have some travel with them.

As to the British Royal Family - you will hear a lot of negative comment from the media generally, and there are some very outspoken anti-monarchists (and many students - who always like to protest againt the status quo!). However, there is a very large 'silent majority', which is happy with and proud of our traditions and way of life, including the Monarchy. If you think back a few years, the BBC let it be known that it wouldn't be doing much coverage when the Queen Mother died. Then, when they saw the great outpouring of respect from the ordinary majority and the way they lined some 20 miles of road, spontaneously, when her coffin was moved from Windsor to London (or was it the other way round?) they changed their mind. The media is often out of step with people, and can believe their own propaganda too much. :winkiss:

The two translated articles are identical.

Back
Top Bottom