Princess Ingrid Alexandra's confirmation: August 31, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find all this talk about Doña Letizia's absence exaggerated. Crown Princess Victoria will be alone. Don Felipe will be alone. Queen Beatrix and Queen Sonja were alone at Victoria's confirmation. It seems not usance to attend as a couple.

I'm so happy that King Felipe will go! :flowers: A pity that Letizia won't go, but we can't have it all, so I'm extremely thrilled that he will go this time! Can't wait to see the official picture of IA with her godparents!

But Martha Louise will attend and her girls too?
Yes, the official guest list says she'll go and it also says med bar, which mean "with children".;) Prince Christian will be surrounded by a lot of young ladies xD

Last edited:
Well, I had planned to have rolling coverage this week, but something came up, so let's start now instead.
(BTW, I will answer the second question in Tatiana Maria's post 132 after the confirmation, not time to go through old archive-articles from the 1980s and 2000s now.)

But before we start, be warned that when I'm busy (which I am now), I have a tendency to write the weirdest of things, such as:
As they have both said in interviews, Märtha and CP Haakon (and CP MM, after she came into the family) have always been ''very close'' and ''see each quite other a lot'' and therefore also their children.

LOL.

--------------------

Hmm, since others are doing it on twitter, perhaps it's time for a look back at previous royal confirmations.
(And if the NTB-scanpix-galleries don't show, click on them more than once.)

The non-heirs:

Princess Ragnhild on May 11th, 1947:

*Confirmed alone in a service in The Palace Chapel, where NTB (The Norwegian News Agency) was allowed to take official photos in The Bird Room afterwards (gallery-link).
They may also have photographed The Princess kneeling in front of the bishop/priest, which was done with her two younger siblings, but that photo is unfortunately no longer available (at least not as I know).
*Private dinner at the palace in the evening.

Godparents: King Haakon VII and Queen Maud of Norway (her paternal grandparents), Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg of Sweden (her maternal grandparents), King George VI of the United Kingdom (her paternal first cousin once removed), King Gustaf V of Sweden (her maternal great-uncle), Princess Victoria of the United Kingdom (her paternal great-aunt), and Princess Margaretha of Denmark (her maternal aunt).

Known foreign royal guests: Her maternal aunt and godmother, Princess Margaretha of Denmark; and her paternal/maternal first cousin twice removed, Margrethe, Princess of Bourbon-Parma.

--------------------

Princess Astrid on May 9th, 1948:

*Confirmed alone in a service in The Palace Chapel, where NTB (The Norwegian News Agency) was allowed to photograph The Princess kneeling in front of the bishop/priest and take official photos in The Bird Room afterwards (gallery-link).
Yes, and they even got to film the photo-session (link).

Godparents: King Haakon VII and Queen Maud of Norway (her paternal grandparents), Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg of Sweden (her maternal grandparents), Queen Astrid of Belgium (her maternal aunt), Queen Elizabeth (The Queen Mother) of the United Kingdom (wife of her paternal first cousin once removed), Princess Thyra of Denmark (her paternal great-aunt), Prince Eugen of Sweden (her maternal great-uncle), and Prince George (Duke of Kent) of the United Kingdom (her paternal first cousin once removed).

Known foreign royal guests: Her maternal grandmother and godmother, Princess Ingeborg of Sweden; her maternal aunt, Princess Margaretha of Denmark; and what I believe (although I am not so familiar with his younger look) is Prince Carl Bernadotte (Prince in the Belgian nobility and former Prince of Sweden, and Astrid's maternal uncle). - Which is incorrectly referred to as ''Prince Bertil Bernadotte'' in one of the photos in the gallery above.

--------------------

Princess Märtha Louise on May 11th, 1986:

*Confirmed along with other confirmands in a private service in Asker Church (covering Asker municipality, where Skaugum is situated), although NTB (The Norwegian News Agency) was allowed in to take pictures. They also took official photos in Crown Princess Märtha's Drawing Room at Skaugum afterwards - plus some gala-pictures in The White Drawing Room at the palace in the evening (gallery-link).
*White-tie official gala-dinner at the palace in the evening, where the royal-procession was filmed by NRK (at least, that's what I've read). They were not allowed to cover the greetings/speeches.
No information whether some of it was photographed or not, but I can't remember seeing any photos.

Godparents: King Olav V of Norway (her paternal grandfather), Princess Ragnhild of Norway (her paternal aunt), Princess Margaretha of Denmark (her maternal great-aunt), Count Fleming of Rosenborg (her paternal first cousin once removed), Dagny Haraldsen (her maternal grandmother), Haakon Haraldsen (her maternal uncle), Nils Jørgen Astrup (businessman and friend of her father), and Ilmi Horn (born Riddervold, her mother’s childhood friend and maid of honour).

Known foreign royal guests: Not known to me.

--------------------

The heirs:

Crown Prince Olav:

Haven't had time to do research on it.

--------------------

Prince Harald on May 10th, 1953:

*Confirmed alone in a service in The Palace Chapel, where NTB (The Norwegian News Agency) was allowed to photograph The Prince kneeling in front of the bishop/priest and take official photos in The Bird Room afterwards (gallery-link).
They may have filmed parts of it, but that/these videos are no longer available.

Godparents: King Haakon VII and Queen Maud of Norway (his paternal grandparents), Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg of Sweden (his maternal grandparents), King George VI of the United Kingdom (his paternal first cousin once removed), King Leopold III of Belgium (his maternal uncle by marriage), Queen Mary of the United Kingdom (his paternal great-aunt by marriage), and Queen Ingrid of Denmark (his maternal second cousin).

Known foreign royal guests: His maternal grandmother and godmother, Princess Ingeborg of Sweden; and his maternal aunt, Princess Margaretha of Denmark.

--------------------

Prince Haakon Magnus on October 9th, 1988:

*Received his instructions with Asker Church congregation (which, as I wrote above, covers Asker municipality, where Skaugum is situated).
But confirmed alone in a service in The Palace Chapel, where NRK (The state-owned Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation) was allowed to film parts of it, while NTB (The Norwegian News Agency) stood for the photos. - They also took official pictures in The White Drawing Room afterwards - plus some gala-photos in the same room in the evening.
*White-tie official gala-dinner at the palace in the evening, where the greetings/royal-procession were filmed by NRK (at least, that's what I've read), but they were not allowed to cover the speeches.
And yes, NTB got to take pictures (although I've never seen any from the greetings, just the procession).

See gallery here, which includes photos of Haakon at Confirmation Camp, the RF attending a ''conversation-service'' (be aware that I wrote ''conversation,'' not confirmation) in Asker Church some days before the day itself, and King Olav V greeting his guests at the airport (gallery-link).

BTW: I have previously read (and therefore written in this thread) that the service and greetings/royal-procession were televised by NRK. Well, after having gone through the print-newspapers editions of VG and Aftenposten (the TV-guide-pages included) in their web-archives from October 9th, 1988, I've now found out that this was not the case. No, they just showed clips.

Godparents: King Olav V of Norway (his paternal grandfather), Princess Astrid of Norway (his paternal aunt), Queen Margrethe II of Denmark (his paternal second cousin once removed), King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden (his paternal third cousin), Princess Anne of the United Kingdom (his paternal third cousin), and Prince Carl Bernadotte (Prince in the Belgian nobility and former Prince of Sweden, and Haakon's paternal great-uncle).

Known foreign royal guests: The Danish and Swedish Regent-Couples, Queen Ingrid of Denmark (godmother to Haakon's father, the then CP Harald), Princess Anne, and Prince Carl Bernadotte (his wife Princess Kristine Bernadotte, Count Flemming and Countess Ruth of Rosenborg were also present, although you cannot see them in the gallery above).

(And to those who may wonder about the elderly lady in Haakon/Märtha's gala-photos? Well, that is their maternal grandmother, Dagny Haraldsen.)

--------------------

Hmm, was there anything else? Yes, the present confirmation of course! - And will therefore be back tonight or tomorrow morning.

I find all this talk about Doña Letizia's absence exaggerated. Crown Princess Victoria will be alone. Don Felipe will be alone. Queen Beatrix and Queen Sonja were alone at Victoria's confirmation. It seems not usance to attend as a couple.

You are right! People always seem to need something to gossip about...!:whistling::bang:

Agree, spouses go to separate events all the time. It’s no big deal imo.

The confirmation of Prince Sverre Magnus will take place in two years, won't it?

I wonder what could have been the reason why Durek is not attending and what is Märtha Louise's reaction to this. She was just recently injured.

Princess Astrid on May 9th, 1948:
...and what I believe (although I am not so familiar with his younger look) is Prince Carl Bernadotte (Prince in the Belgian nobility and former Prince of Sweden, and Astrid's maternal uncle). - Which is incorrectly referred to as ''Prince Bertil Bernadotte'' in one of the photos in the gallery above.
Yes, that is Prince Carl Bernadotte.

Last edited:
IA looks fantastic in her bunad! I'm looking forward into seeing her wearing it on the day.

I am curious and wonder if anyone on the forum can explain why the Princess Ingrid Alexandra is being confirmed in a bunad while her father, grandfather and great aunts were not? The bunad and the documentary of its making are stunning by the way!:flowers:

Well, Norway's future Queen regnant (who will most likely be our fourth monarch since the independence in 1905) is to be confirmed today, and although I don't believe in any god, I must say that I am pretty excited about the history of it.

The programme/television-coverage:

The country's largest TV-Channel, NRK1: News anchor, Rima Iraki (born 1982) & actress and programme host, Selma Ibrahim (born 1995), both new to royal coverage, are live from a studio at The The Palace Square. There they will be joined by NRK's Royal Correspondent/commentator/expert, Kristi Marie Skrede (in her late 40s/early 50s, used to be pretty balanced, but has now turned into what I would describe as visibly pro-monarchy in her style) & News anchor, Åsa Vartdal (born 1976), who presented The Regent-Couple's Golden Wedding Anniversary broadcast last year.

11-12 AM Norwegian time, CEST (one hour ahead of current UK time, BST): Sends live from The Palace Square.

12-13: Broadcasts The Confirmation service live from The Palace Chapel.

13-13:30: Sends live from The Palace Square.

13:30-14:45: Broadcasts the greetings/royal-procession and speeches from the official luncheon.

The guests will be greeted by the royals in Speilsalen (the Music Hall). - See the two first photos in this gallery (link).

They will then walk into the Smal Dining Room. - Photos of the room: 1 - 2 - 3

And then into the Smal Ballroom. - Photos of the room: 1 - 2

And then into the The Great Ballroom. - Photos of the room: 1 - 2 - 3

And then into the Banqueting Hall. - Photos of the room: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

The royal procession (headed by Lord Chamberlain, Gry Mølleskog) will go through the same beautiful rooms. And after entering the Banqueting Hall, The King and most likely The Crown Prince will give speeches, followed by the National/Royal Anthems.

14:45-16:05: Sends live from The Palace Square.

Also live on TV2 News Channel from 10 AM, where News anchor, Elin Ludvigsen is live from The Palace Square.
Usually very pro-monarchy in her style, and has together with TV2's now late Royal Expert Kjell Arne Totland, covered several Norwegian royal events.

One can read more about NRK/TV2 in post 80.

--------------------

Information about The Palace Chapel (RH-article-link).
BTW, at the beginning of the video where CP MM is speaking, one can see a clip from CP Haakon's confirmation service.

The third press-release from the court (link).
[...] The Princess has received her confirmation instruction at the Asker Church congregation under the direction of Provost Tor Øystein Våland and Vicar Karoline Astrup. The confirmation service in the Palace Chapel will be led by the Bishop of Oslo, Kari Veiteberg, and the Praeses of the Norwegian Bishops’ Conference, Bishop Helga Haugland Byfuglien. [...]
Read about that position here (English Wikipedia article-link).

--------------------

The coverage in Norway so far: Been several articles and talk about it. And with the exception of a few republican commentators who are whining about that ''The Princess is having such a terrible life because she can't choose her own profession or how/if she wants to be confirmed, everyone seems to be pretty positive about it.''

---------------------

Yes, that is Prince Carl Bernadotte.
Thanks! :flowers:

---------------------

I am curious and wonder if anyone on the forum can explain why the Princess Ingrid Alexandra is being confirmed in a bunad while her father, grandfather and great aunts were not? The bunad and the documentary of its making are stunning by the way!:flowers:
I've written quite a lot about bunads in posts 38, 45, 49, 52 and 85! But will write more about it for you after the confirmation (perhaps tomorrow). :flowers:

--------------------

And yes, will post live links if available (if not others do it before me).

Royal Central article about the gift from The Norwegian Government (link).
[...] Today, the Norwegian government announced their gift to their Princess. Norway’s government’s confirmation gift to Princess Ingrid Alexandra is to rename Hengsåsen nature reserve at Bygdøy in Oslo to “Prinsesseåsen” nature reserve. “Prinsesseåsen” can be directly translated to “The Princess’s hill”.

The Princess is also to receive in the gift the oil painting “My moment with Lilac”, painted by the Norwegian artist Tyra Tingleff. Tingleff lives and works in Berlin, is educated at the art academies in Bergen, Copenhagen and London, and has exhibited in galleries in Berlin, London, New York, Venice and Basel. [...]

--------------------

Live:

NRK (link).
In this one, you come right to the video.

TV2 (link).
Very good coverage here BTW (started two hours ago). News anchor, Elin Ludvigsen (who I mentioned above) is joined by the serious royal historian/author, Trond Norén Isaksen (born 1981); Caroline Vagle (in her 30s, I think), who is Royal Correspondent/expert in the rag-mag Se og Hør (although she is pretty reliable).
They talk about Ingrid's future duties, her new bunad, previous royal confirmations, etc, etc.

VG (link).

EDIT: The Royals will walk into the chapel in about 5-min.

Last edited:
It is a great picture to see the female guests at the chapel in their bunads. I actually hadn't expected to see so many besides Ingrid. Will the royal ladies be wearing theirs too?

That's neat detail!

Each guest has been issued a sheet of bio-degradable paper, with flower-seeds inlaid in it.
On the sheet is written a poem and an urge to place the paper somewhere in nature or a garden. When the sheets degrade the seeds are exposed to the elements and will blossom.
- And hopefully remind those who see them of this day.

Never heard of such a thing before. What a good idea.

The court has now confirmed to NTB (The Norwegian News Agency) that the confirmation will take place in the autumn 2019, no more information was given.

BTW: You can read whom her foreign godparents are (who will hopefully take the time to attend), a bit about the confirmations of CP Haakon and Märtha - and what TV2's serous/reliable Royal Expert, Kjell Arne Totland, has said about next year's plans here.

You can find pictures on the Norwegian Royal families home page this is a direct link to the pictures:
https://www.kongehuset.no/nyhet.html?tid=172278&sek=26939

It seems as if Confirmation is a very important milestone in Norway. Seeing photos of (what I imagine was her first) gala dress meant it was marked in an extremely memorable way.

Could someone tell me if that is, in fact, the way it is done in Norway as a whole or merely for the royal family?

In Norway we have Confirmation. In 1736 came an important reform: the introduction of confirmation. The confirmation was not in itself a big news; the law of 1687 clearly stated that young people would not receive communion unless the priest had ascertained that they had received their children's education. But in 2019 there are different ways to do this, the Princess does this in the church, and about 55% of Norwegian youth undergo this in the church.
I myself was confirmed in 1988 and it was a great day.

wow, they really announced that with a lot of anticipation! i wonder who the godparents for the confirmation will be - is it likely the same as the christening ones?

This is the once that is H.R.H Princess Ingrid Alexandras Godparents:
H.M. King Harald of Norway (H.R.H Princess Ingrid Alexandras Grandfather), Marit Tjessem Høiby (H.R.H Princess Ingrid Alexandras Grandmother) H.M. King Felipe VI of Spain, H.R.H Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, Princess Märtha Louise of Norway (H.R.H Princess Ingrid Alexandras Aunt), H.R.H Crown Prince Fredrik of Denmark. They are all in Oslo now

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the official photo of Ingrid Alexandra with her godparents, it is so lovely how she holds the hands of her grandfather and grandmother.

The chapel looks splendid and looking forward to the ceremony today.

Very beautiful ceremony.

I'm slightly surprised that Crown Princess Victoria doesn't wear a national dress today. She obviously didn't catch spirit of this event.
Crown Princess Mary proved once more that she is very smart dresser.
It's tough day for king Felipe. Perhaps, he is the only one who absolutely doesn't understand Norwegian language.

Christian was seated between his mother and Victoria at the lunch and we saw Victoria talking with enthusiasm with her godson.
I think that it is great that Victoria didn't wear a national costume, she looks lovely in her dress, and the norwegian royal women looked lovely in their bunads.

King Felipe's gift to Ingrid Alexandra
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Last edited by a moderator:
Very beautiful ceremony.

I'm slightly surprised that Crown Princess Victoria doesn't wear a national dress today. She obviously didn't catch spirit of this event.
It's tough day for king Felipe. Perhaps, he is the only one who absolutely doesn't understand Norwegian language.

How do you know from he doesn't understand absolutely anything?

Very beautiful ceremony.

I think the Order of Service will have been bilangual, so foreign guests could still follow the proceedings.

IA looks lovely. She is really owning the occasion and understands her role and the future that lies ahead of her. God bless her!

It was a very beautiful ceremony. Good thing all the groomsmen are there.

Back
Top Bottom