Press reports: Norwegian Divorce Rumours

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but this is a message board. Over 90% of what is written on here are assumptions. You hardly ever get any evidence or hard facts on ANYTHING that is being discussed here concerning the Royals as they do not tend to confirm or comment on their issues. A vast majority of the topics being discussed on the forum are sourced by tabloids or gossip websites. Its up to you what you chose to believe as the varity has always been between sugary and nasty stuff. Just because something sounds nice 'they are so much in love' doesnt make it true. TRF has not started any rumours but only cites outlets like HELLO picking up on the topic, as they pick up on any other royal topic, positive or negative. Its the nature of their business. If you looking for hard facts or evidence you won't find much when it comes to Royal Families and their issues.

You're right, and it's still disgusting. There is a difference between speculating based on facts and imputing bad motives on everything based on some twisted view of the world. The latter is wrong and sad-and that's the point I'm trying to make.

This case is a perfect example.

Let's not bite each other's heads off and refrain from causing/getting involved in online rows. If you can't stay civil towards other posters, please do not post at all. There is no need to reply to each supposed insult, there is a report button under each post.

Last edited:
Haven't posted in awhile (still read/lurk all the time, just out of the habit of posting), but this whole thing is...:eek:!

I'd be surprised if any of this is true, but I've been surprised before. I guess nothing's impossible. But mostly I'm struck by the fact that there's been dead silence from the royal house, especially when Haakon and MM have a history of jumping on things in the press that they don't like. It's possible that the royal house believes that a denial would only fan the flames, but I don't think the gossip can really get much worse. The strategy of remaining silent and hoping it dies down isn't really working here.

One thing this does demonstrate is why, for the most part, royals don't ever respond to the press/to gossip/to rumors/etc. Do it once, and then everytime something unpleasant is said in the future, people say, "Well, if you're not responding like that other time, it must be true." I've read that reasoning about Haakon and MM over and over again on various message boards in the last couple days.

There are even names out there in some articles, like 'the rich norwegian businessman XXX' etc, I wonder why nobody comes forward from this end, dismissing the rumors and threatening to sue those websites who pick up on the issue. Its damaging, no question.

I do not think that the Palace will make any denial announcement, because if it is true, they will be be stupid to lie, and if the rumour is false, it will collapse by itself.

I'm also quite surprised by the complete silence from the norwegian royal court as Haakon and Mette Marit have never been afraid to sue the press but If it's true that she has has an affair but not true that they are going to separate the best option is to not say anything at all.

Last edited:
I'm also quite surprised by the complete silence from the norwegian royal court as Haakon and Mette Marit have never been afraid to sue the press but If it's true that she has has an affair but not true that they are going to separate the best option is to not say anything at all.

It very well could be that lawyers and investigators are looking into all the defamatory press releases and building a case. Just because the public doesn't see or hear of a legal case in the works, it doesn't mean nothing is being done. I would imagine that the Norwegian Royal Family also feels that way about their private lives. It is really not the public's concern at this time. Should a case be brought before the court or something tangibly changes in the relationship of the CPC, the public would be informed after the fact.

Just my opinion of course.

The palace isn’t responding to this because there’s nothing to respond to. No one has presented any kind of evidence at all other than that they haven’t been seen together for a long time, which is ridiculous because we know why they haven’t been seen together.

And also if someone could provide some information to often Haakon and Mette-Marit have actually sued anyone then I would be really grateful, because as far as I know they have never sued anyone, at least not in Norway.

The royal palace has complained to the PFU, but that is not the same as suing someone. The PFU is a complaint commission that was created by Norwegian Press Association to make sure the ethical and professional standard in all Norwegian media is maintained.
It’s got nothing to do with the judicial system and there are no court cases or compensations as you would have with a law suit.
Most, if not all, Norwegian media are a member of the Norwegian Press Association and therefore follow the verdict given by the PFU if they find that they have violated the standards set by the Press Association.
Law suits are rare in Norway and you need good reasons to come through with them.

This whole thing is ridiculous and it’s a reason to why very few in Norway pay attention to this. I really wish people would have more decency and respect than to spread gossip and slander with no evidence or sources to back it up with. I guess some people get a strange satisfaction in slandering people that has done nothing to them and hopefully that is a satisfaction I’ll never understand.

The palace isn’t responding to this because there’s nothing to respond to. No one has presented any kind of evidence at all other than that they haven’t been seen together for a long time, which is ridiculous because we know why they haven’t been seen together.

And also if someone could provide some information to often Haakon and Mette-Marit have actually sued anyone then I would be really grateful, because as far as I know they have never sued anyone, at least not in Norway.

The royal palace has complained to the PFU, but that is not the same as suing someone. The PFU is a complaint commission that was created by Norwegian Press Association to make sure the ethical and professional standard in all Norwegian media is maintained.
It’s got nothing to do with the judicial system and there are no court cases or compensations as you would have with a law suit.
Most, if not all, Norwegian media are a member of the Norwegian Press Association and therefore follow the verdict given by the PFU if they find that they have violated the standards set by the Press Association.
Law suits are rare in Norway and you need good reasons to come through with them.

This whole thing is ridiculous and it’s a reason to why very few in Norway pay attention to this. I really wish people would have more decency and respect than to spread gossip and slander with no evidence or sources to back it up with. I guess some people get a strange satisfaction in slandering people that has done nothing to them and hopefully that is a satisfaction I’ll never understand.

Very well put together post and very very sensible. Thank you for explaining to us how the PFU works in Norway and the guidelines that most of the press follow. The world I live in has lawsuits being filed at the drop of a hat. Perhaps more countries should follow Norway's examples.

Yes thank you Cassandra for the Norweigan perspective. The only good that's come of this is a little more information about the Norweigan culture and practices, and that Sverre Magnus is not styled HRH, only his sister is, I guess the way the succession works.

The style His Highness is only for international use. He is not styled His Highness within Norway.

kongehuset.no - Prins Sverre Magnus

He is.!!As per birthright he is since his first scream HRH Prince Sverre Magnus.That is an absolute certainty as are all Royal offspring,certainly in Reigning Houses, due to their birth and has been so since centuries.Even in Norway!No forum member is going to change that:)

Last edited:
All I know is that Mette Marit will be out of action for awhile, while she recovers from her neck injury. I can see how these rumours start. But I believe they are not true unless the injury is a cover story. But I doubt they would be that stupid to do something like that. :flowers:

Totally wrong observation, HR! They never "sued" the tabloiud press for spreading rumours but made a complaint, as said above before, at the Norw Press Association when it came to protect their children´s privacy and savety. That´s something completely different!
The fact that this issue is being talked over and over again passionately on boards like this doesn´t mean it is an issue in "real life"

Totally wrong observation, HR! They never "sued" the tabloiud press for spreading rumours but made a complaint, as said above before, at the Norw Press Association when it came to protect their children´s privacy and savety. That´s something completely different!
The fact that this issue is being talked over and over again passionately on boards like this doesn´t mean it is an issue in "real life"

Thank you for correcting me there. My observation was indeed wrong there. I had only read headlines in the newspapers about that issue and were under the impression that they actually sued the press (don't think i'm the only one who thought that) but that was not correct and I understand the difference.

Last edited:
I sincerely doubt Harald and Sonja would have spent the weekend at Sandringham with Charles and Camilla and the Wessexes if the palace was about to announce a separation for Haakon on Monday after the weekend ... Harald and Sonja would certainly have remained with their son to talk about things if the story were true.

The royals make a big fuss in Norway about "confirmation" into the Church. If there is an affair it is not just a private matter because the royal family is expected to set an example of good behavior. Obviously I am the last person to have any idea what the truth of the "rumor" is, but I would suggest the "bishop" or whoever did the various confirmations for this family (as notably the elder son of Mette-Marit) should give her a talking to. Minimal expected standards, I would say. These ceremonies they go through are idle mist unless they mean at least something.

I remember they made a complaint about beach photos where MM was photographed in a bikini. It was about invasion of privacy, but I dont recall it was about the children. MM & Haakon are quite touchy about 'privacy' in public, I remember as well that MM complained about publishing photos of her smoking. Norway defo doesnt have a ruthless paparazzi culture like Britain or Spain.

The royals make a big fuss in Norway about "confirmation" into the Church. If there is an affair it is not just a private matter because the royal family is expected to set an example of good behavior. Obviously I am the last person to have any idea what the truth of the "rumor" is, but I would suggest the "bishop" or whoever did the various confirmations for this family (as notably the elder son of Mette-Marit) should give her a talking to. Minimal expected standards, I would say. These ceremonies they go through are idle mist unless they mean at least something.

Aren't you putting the cart before the horse? You're assuming that it's true that MM had an affair...

I remember they made a complaint about beach photos where MM was photographed in a bikini. It was about invasion of privacy, but I dont recall it was about the children. MM & Haakon are quite touchy about 'privacy' in public, I remember as well that MM complained about publishing photos of her smoking. Norway defo doesnt have a ruthless paparazzi culture like Britain or Spain.

Again pure speculation! But certainly the complaint was about intrusion of privacy in general, which INCLUDED the privacy of the children, and NOT about the CPss wearing a bikini....
I repeat: A complaint about the injury of privacy by the press is something completely different other than a denial of (most likely invented) marriage problems!
3 examples: The british Queen and Prince Philip were constantly speculated to be seperating in the late 50s and in the 60s (as I heard Prince Charles himself saying in an interview from the 1980s). Denial? Of course not.
About 2005 the danish CP couple were reported to be close before their seperation - no denial!
Before the 1st child of King Philippe and Queen Mathilde has been born there were speculations that the marriage was arranged because the then Prince was actually gay and that Ph. would have been seen in certain Brussels clubs and bars. No denial.
I could endlessly add to this list. What I´m trying to say is that the royals almost never deny mean and often false rumours and speculations not to undermine the dignity of the royal house.

Last edited:
Again pure speculation! But certainly the complaint was about intrusion of privacy in general, which INCLUDED the privacy of the children, and NOT about the CPss wearing a bikini....
I repeat: A complaint about the injury of privacy by the press is something completely different other than a denial of (most likely invented) marriage problems!
3 examples: The british Queen and Prince Philip were constantly speculated to be seperating in the late 50s and in the 60s (as I heard Prince Charles himself saying in an interview from the 1980s). Denial? Of course not.
About 2005 the danish CP couple were reported to be close before their seperation - no denial!
Before the 1st child of King Philippe and Queen Mathilde has been born there were speculations that the marriage was arranged because the then Prince was actually gay and that Ph. would have been seen in certain Brussels clubs and bars. No denial.
I could endlessly add to this list. What I´m trying to say is that the royals almost never deny mean and often false rumours and speculations not to undermine the dignity of the royal house.

Agree. But: there are other ways to communicate, not just with an "official" DENIAL: CP MM for example is a frequent Twitterer. Why doesn´t she simply tweets something like: "I am feeling better every day, I am looking forward to come back to work soon again"....
No problem with that at all. Would take a lot of fire out of the oven...
But this silence...:bang:

BYe Bine

This post is great - it goes to show that all the Royal marriages have been said "to be in trouble" at one point simply for media speculation. The media love to spin something on a royal marriage - the press said that Edward and Sophie did not share a bed when they first married and they had to release a statement saying they did. Why on earth should ANYONE have to tell this to people? Media annoys me. This will all pass over eventually and the press will focus on something else!

Agree. But: there are other ways to communicate, not just with an "official" DENIAL: CP MM for example is a frequent Twitterer. Why doesn´t she simply tweets something like: "I am feeling better every day, I am looking forward to come back to work soon again"....
No problem with that at all. Would take a lot of fire out of the oven...
But this silence...:bang:

BYe Bine

Because any statement at all won't make it stop! While the silence is frustrating, commenting just adds fuel to the fire.

But here in Norway there has been nothing to read AT ALL in newspaper, gossip-magazines, etc... So maybe there would have been a need to deny something if the rumors were big News here, but they aren`t.. SO - where did the rumors start exactly? I think this is all bull**** and don`t believe it for a second. Their marriage is regarded to be very loving and stable. Just because MM is on sickleave and hasn`t been seen in Public for a long time? Somebody felt the need to spread some trash.

Posts on the Crown Prince Couple attending today's event has been moved to the
Haakon and Mette-Marit Current Events Part 2
Thread

If you'd like to discuss the press reports and how happy they look in the recent pictures, please do it in this thread. If you would like to discuss the event, please do it in the correct thread.

Thank you!​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom