Name Haakon And Mette-Marit's Baby

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Josefine@Dec 30th, 2003 - 7:20 am
http://www.aftenposten.no

Royals must withhold new heir's name

A majority of Norwegians think the new royal heir due in January will be named either Olav or Ingeborg. The public will be kept guessing, however, until the first Council of State is held after the birth.

Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit can't reveal the name they've chosen at the hospital. Instead, Norway's constitution decrees that the name of a new prince or princess must be announced at a Council of State.

That means the baby's father himself will inform government ministers at the council, since he's acting regent while his father King Harald recovers from cancer surgery.

The Council of State (Statsraad) normally meets every Friday morning at the Royal Palace in Oslo. If the birth occurs just after a council, however, an extraodinary session can be called.

After the name is revealed to the government ministers assembled for the council, the prime minister will announce it publicly.

When Princess Martha Louise gave birth last spring, her new daughter's name was announced at the National Hospital. That's because Maud Angelica Behn wasn't granted the title of "princess," even though she's in line to inherit the throne.

The crown couple's baby is due January 22. The palace reported earlier this week that Crown Princess Mette-Marit's pregnancy has progressed normally and that she's in "fine form."

She attended a concert this week featuring her sister-in-law, Princess Martha Louise, who sings with the Oslo Gospel Choir. Crown Princess Mette-Marit left the concert early, however.

"She felt a bit unwell and went home," reported palace spokesman Sven Gjeruldsen. "But she's not sick and it was nothing dramatic."
Well, I don't like the name Ingeborg. It seems so... harsh. I can't imagine a little, sweet baby girl named Ingeborg :yuk:

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Dec 30th, 2003 - 4:16 pm
Are there any names from Mette-Marit's family that could be chosen?
Well, her sister is called Kristin, which is also a traditional name for princesses (from the middle ages)

I looked back on some of the names of other in the royal family, and one of Queen Maud's many names were Charlotte. It's traditional, but modern at the same time.

Originally posted by Josefine@Oct 10th, 2003 - 4:16 pm
Maybe a Carl Haakon
Josephine, we may be on the same wave length regarding names of the child of CP H and MM: I remembered from my history something about Haakon VII who became the first King of Norway ~ (however, not regarding kings & queens of "Medieval Norway".) Before he became King of Norway, his name was "Carl" and his wife's name was "Louise". I thought about adding these names to the list until I saw that you had selected those names.

In one of my foreign periodicals, there was a great section on how modern Norway" came to be. He was a staunch defier of Hitler and his regime and many of the Norweigians at that time scrawled "Haakon VII" on anything they could find ~ like at railway stations, on public buildings, etc. Yes, they were once Swedes, but Haakon VII was a truly a noble, dedicated monarch, known by general consensus, as "the living flag of his country."

Elizajane

I doubt very much that the name will be Carl, as it is a traditional name in the Swedish royal family, not the Norwegian. I do believe they will try to keep it to names of past reigning kings. I also think that the names Christian and Fredrik are off limits, despite them being part of King Haakon's name before he changed, and King Olav's before his parents changed it for him. One of Princess Astrid's sons are called Carl-Christian, but since he's not a direct heir to the throne it's not a matter of establishing the national pride. I think they will try to avoid, as much as possible, any connection to Sweden and Denmark.

Olav is the strongest bet when it comes to name for a boy: the Crown Prince's grandfather was called it, and one of the names of the Crown Princess' father is Olaf.

Ingeborg is a strong bet, as well as Kristin, Margrethe... and as I looked at the Crown Princess' family tree I discovered that her grandmother was/is called Ingrid. Also a suitable name.

From vg.no A list of names where one of them is likely to be the one of the new heir. I've tried to translate the meanings, as some of you might not be fluent in Norwegian.

Jentenavn:

Ragnhild: Norse. Regin (Ruling Power) og hildr (Struggle).

Astrid: Norse. «She who is loved by the Gods.»

Inga: Norse. Derrived from the God Yngve's name, which is another name for the fertility god Frøy.

Ingeborg: Norse. Newer form of Ingebjørg. Put together from the godly name Ing (Yngve) and bjorg (Help) "Kept safe by the God Yngve."

Margrete: Derrived from Margareta. From the Greek word Margaritas (Pearl.)

Åse: Another form of Åsa. Norse. Shortform of names beginning with Ås- Comes from Ass, which meant God.Sideform av Åsa.

Åsta: Norse. Another form of Astrid that has been put together from ass (God) and fridr (beauty).

Ingrid: Made by the godly name Ing and Rid, from Fridr (Beauty, fairness)

Märtha: Derrived from Margareta. From the Greek word Margaritas (Pearl.)

Tyra: Norse. «Thunder and struggle.»

Boy names
Olav: Norse. «Forefather.»

Sverre: Norse. Sverra (Flutter).

Harald: Norse. Put together from av herr (army) og valdr (ruler, kingdom).

Haakon: Norse. «The Highborn.»

Oscar: Irish. «Be in love with», «beloved.»

Sigurd: Norse, put together from sigr (Victory) and vordr (protector).

Magnus: Latin name meaning «great and powerful». Old Swedish/Norwegian Royal Name.

Kristian: Latin. «The Christian.»

Karl: Norse. Fellow, Free man.

Fredrik/Frederik: German. «Peace, Protector» and «powerful, Emperor».

For a boy, I would choose the name Olav. I like Sonja for a girl.

Originally posted by norwegianne@Jan 13th, 2004 - 9:22 am
Ragnhild: Norse. Regin (Ruling Power) og hildr (Struggle).
Thanks for this list of names, norwegianne and the translations. Always interesting to know what names mean or where they originate from.

I like Magnus, and perhaps it is likely since it is also part of Haakon's name, as well? And Margrete for a girl.

How might one prounounce Ragnhild? As it looks? It seems like a very hard name to pronounce, lots of 'hard' letters.

How about

girl:
-Sophie(is this a name used in Norway???)
- Inga ( a modern and beautiful name)
- Marie
-Louise(one more Louise)

boy:
-Christian
-Ole

Originally posted by Alexandria@Jan 13th, 2004 - 11:28 am
How might one prounounce Ragnhild? As it looks? It seems like a very hard name to pronounce, lots of 'hard' letters.
I know that during the war, when Crown Princess Märtha and her children were in the States Princess Ragnhild was nicknamed Running Hill, because her name was so difficult for American children to pronounce... :rolleyes:

The a is longer than the typical american a , and the gn sound is soft, slightly similar to the soung English has in the end of pang, and hild is pronounced like in Hilda.

/ra:gnhIld/ Some Norwegian roll their r's while others don't, so that's an individual issue.

Originally posted by bluetortuga@Jan 13th, 2004 - 10:41 am
For a boy, I would choose the name Olav. I like Sonja for a girl.
Sonja's an okay name, the experts thought it hadn't been long enough in the Royal family however to be chosen. We'll see :) It's exciting.

I think a lot of people are expecting Olav for a boy. Because they think King Olav should be remembered, and because it is slightly similar to the name of Mette-Marit's father.

Originally posted by liv@Jan 13th, 2004 - 11:57 am
How about

girl:
-Sophie(is this a name used in Norway???)
- Inga ( a modern and beautiful name)
- Marie
-Louise(one more Louise)

boy:
-Christian
-Ole
Hmmm.... I think one of the queens of Norway and Sweden were called Sofia... (Sofia of Nassau, married to Oscar II) I doubt it would be used with ph, as f has been more natural in Norwegian. We tend to like things spelled right out, without confusing silent sounds... Most of the time. If we're going along the route of Swedish-Norwegian queens we also have Désirée, Josefine or Hedvig Elisabet Charlotta.

For some strange reasons Marie hasn't been used. It's a nice name.

Inga is so full of traditions. Inga from Varteig was the mother of Håkon Håkonssen (ie. Håkon 4.)

Louise is a classy name. I'm really unsure about it, though, since Sophie and Edward named their daughter Louise. How confusing would that be later?

Doesn't Mette-Marit's father want the baby, if it is a boy, to be named Olav, too? But he sees it as being named after him rather than King Olav! (Sometimes I wonder about this man ...)

Yeah, he wants the baby to be named Olav too, but he sees it as being named after both him and King Olav.

I wonder too, Alexandria. I mean, the statements he makes, and the interviews are hardly the thing to endear him to a daughter who had a strained relationship with him from before...

the Crown Princess' mother has got it. She shuts up, and smiles.

Originally posted by norwegianne@Jan 14th, 2004 - 4:35 am
Yeah, he wants the baby to be named Olav too, but he sees it as being named after both him and King Olav.

I wonder too, Alexandria. I mean, the statements he makes, and the interviews are hardly the thing to endear him to a daughter who had a strained relationship with him from before...

You're correct, Norwegianne ~ Sven Hoiby's pronoucements are way-out-of-line for MM to have an abiding love for her father. Ever since Sven Hoiby (sp?) wanted Mette-Marit's cooperation on this "questionable book" he said he was writing about her son, Marius, there has been a "split" between them and the "coolness" MM has for her father is strikingly evident. Sounds like he wanted to "slide on the back of her wedding veil" right up to the Royal Family! Is that "true nepotism" or something else?

Also, MM and Haakon decided to walk down the aisle together instead of being led down the aisle by her father. "That" spoke volumes to me. On a few occasions, I have seen MM's mother with MM and Haakon join them on special occasions, like MM's birthday and Marius' first day at school which I though appropriate. I've seen Sven only once in nearly three years with the Royal Family ~ they were walking down a hill somewhere and I saw "papers and pens" in his hands.

He's trying to capitalize on MM's royal position, and that, to me in unpardonable. When she picked strawberries, was Sven around to "cheer her own"? If they had a tender loving relationship, she would have asked her father to walk her down the aisle at her wedding, and ... she saw "this book about Marius", IMHO, for what it was ~ still trying to "wiggle into" the royal crowd, therefore, I have no problem with MM rejecting his choice of names. He should keep his thoughts to himself and let Haakon and MM follow their hearts and the history of their country ~ IF that pleases them.

Elizajane

Originally posted by moosey60@Oct 12th, 2003 - 6:42 pm
A lot of the Danish princes who became kings of Norway got their traditional names after being crowned king. Maybe they'll be able to name their child Erik or whatever they want and then once the kid is crowned (if they do have a son first) he'll get his traditional ruling name. I don't know...seems like a good idea. King Olav was christened Alexander Edward Frederik Christian...(or was it Christian Frederik?)
King Haakon took the name when he was elected as King of Norway when the country took it's independance from Finland in 1905. He apparently felt that he should have a Norwegian name rather than the rather european names he had been given at birth. He also gave his son a norwegian name, Olav. His wife Queen Maud refused to change her name and never really became a Norwegian. She spent a great deal of her time in England when her mother, Queen Alexandra was alive.

Originally posted by Elizajane+Jan 14th, 2004 - 7:05 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Elizajane @ Jan 14th, 2004 - 7:05 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-norwegianne@Jan 14th, 2004 - 4:35 am

You're correct, Norwegianne ~ Sven Hoiby's pronoucements are way-out-of-line for MM to have an abiding love for her father. Sounds like he wanted to "slide on the back of her wedding veil" right up to the Royal Family! Is that "true nepotism" or WHAT"

Sven should keep his thoughts to himself and let Haakon and MM follow their hearts and the history of their country ~ IF that pleases them.

Elizajane [/b][/quote]
Is it at all possible that one of MM hypenated names (Mette-Marit) could be used as part of a name if the baby is a girl?

EJ

I guess the main first name/the "call name" of the child is something, that we don´t expect... the children in the youngest generations in other Royal houses have almost all names, which haven´t a special tradition (Catharina-Amalia, Nicolai, Felix, Gabriel, the "Angelica" in Maud Angelica...)... but I think, that they will choose a traditional name too (like the "Maud" in "Maud Angelica" ;) )

Originally posted by Elizajane+Jan 14th, 2004 - 7:17 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Elizajane @ Jan 14th, 2004 - 7:17 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Elizajane@Jan 14th, 2004 - 7:05 am
<!--QuoteBegin-norwegianne
@Jan 14th, 2004 - 4:35 am

You're correct, Norwegianne ~ Sven Hoiby's pronoucements are way-out-of-line for MM to have an abiding love for her father. Sounds like he wanted to "slide on the back of her wedding veil" right up to the Royal Family! Is that "true nepotism" or WHAT"

Sven should keep his thoughts to himself and let Haakon and MM follow their hearts and the history of their country ~ IF that pleases them.

Elizajane
Is it at all possible that one of MM hypenated names (Mette-Marit) could be used as part of a name if the baby is a girl?

EJ [/b][/quote]
I doubt it.

Of course Marit comes from Margrete, which is a name on the list of possible names since it belonged to a royal, and is the name from which Märtha derives... And it's also the name of Mette-Marit's mother. So, it's possible, but highly unlikely.

Originally posted by wymanda+Jan 14th, 2004 - 7:11 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wymanda @ Jan 14th, 2004 - 7:11 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-moosey60@Oct 12th, 2003 - 6:42 pm
A lot of the Danish princes who became kings of Norway got their traditional names after being crowned king. Maybe they'll be able to name their child Erik or whatever they want and then once the kid is crowned (if they do have a son first) he'll get his traditional ruling name. I don't know...seems like a good idea. King Olav was christened Alexander Edward Frederik Christian...(or was it Christian Frederik?)
King Haakon took the name when he was elected as King of Norway when the country took it's independance from Finland in 1905. He apparently felt that he should have a Norwegian name rather than the rather european names he had been given at birth. He also gave his son a norwegian name, Olav. His wife Queen Maud refused to change her name and never really became a Norwegian. She spent a great deal of her time in England when her mother, Queen Alexandra was alive. [/b][/quote]
Queen Maud spent so much time in England that she died there in 1938.

But nothing I've ever read stated that they had to change their names, just that King Haakon did it to become more Norwegian. I really doubt it was an issue for Maud to change her name as it gave a visible connection to the English Royal family that was sorely needed for the independent Norway in 1905.

Louise is a classy name. I'm really unsure about it, though, since Sophie and Edward named their daughter Louise. How confusing would that be later?

Well,I think that´s not the problem,because Laurent and Claire are planning to name their daughter Louise,too.

Then we have two Letizias and two Louises....
Perhaps the new age for L....princesses(after all the names with M like Mathilde,Maxima,Mette-Marit,Mary)

It seems as I can hope... ;) :p

Originally posted by norwegianne@Jan 13th, 2004 - 1:08 pm

I dont think, that Royals are thinking in that dimensions...Yes, they are a little bit related, but it´s not that way, that Haakon is the brother of Edward. And Edward is just the fourth child of a Queen and not successor of the throne...so his little daughter doesn´t play an important role in the highest aristocratic circles...and except of this, some names have been used quite often in different Royal houses (For example: Felipe of Spain, Phillippe of Belgium, Carl-Philip of Sweden, Phillippos of Greece or Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, Guillaume of Luxembourg, William of Great Britain)
So if Haakon and Mette-Marit would like the name "Louise", they would probably choose it.

A very good point, Lena. There are also presently two Eloise's: Constantijn and Laurentien of the Netherlands' daughter and Lady Helen and Tim Taylor (of Great Britain) have both named their daughter this. And there are a lot of Alexandra's in various royal families, including Alexandra's that have married into royal families (Denmark, Berleberg, Ogilvy, Hanover ...)

And in the very far future, if Haakon and Mette-Marit's daughter Louise were to attend a gathering with Laurent and Claire's daughter Louise and Edward and Sophie's daughter Louise, I supposed they could all easily be differentiated as Louise of Norway, Louise of Belgium and Louise (of?) Wessex.

I would almost like to see some new names in Royal circles b/c the same ones are used over and over again. I know it's tradition, but I think it's time to start some new ones. I really didn't like it when Fergie named her children Beatrice or Eugenie. Way too old fashioned. Louise is okay. But not thrilling. I like Zara. I also like Catherina-Amalia. I think it's such a pretty elegant name. I think it is quite modern and exotic. But I think on the dutch board someone said in Holland it is old fashioned. So maybe it depends on your country of origin. I hope Mette-Marit and Haakon pick something modern. I definately did not like the name Maud. Very old! Angelica would have been better I think.

Some ideas for royal names: something like Erik-Magnus to blend old and new
or Arianna, Natasha, Natalya, Sabrina etc

While I certainly think that Edward and Sophie could've chosen a more modern name for Louise, I think Haakon and Mette-Marit have less freedom with their child. Because their son or daughter will be the heir to the Norwegian throne, and traditionally heirs to the throne bear names that honour their predecessors.

I agree that it would be nice to have a royal baby with some of the names suggested by Fashionista100, but I think that even the Norwegian people who are fairly liberal-minded and free-thinking, might have a touch of issue with a Queen Natalya.

In Edward and Sophie's case, I read that Sophie apparently really liked the name Daisy, and I don't see why they couldn't have gone with that seeing as the little girl is pretty far down the line to the throne. But Haakon and Mette-Marit's child, son or daughter, will follow his or her father and that is very sigificant. (Not that Louise Wessex isn't, but you know what I mean ...)

Originally posted by Fashionista100@Jan 15th, 2004 - 11:45 am
Some ideas for royal names: something like Erik-Magnus to blend old and new
or Arianna, Natasha, Natalya, Sabrina etc
Both Erik and Magnus are old Norwegian/Swedish traditional royal names.

As for the others... well... they might name the other kids they eventually have some modern name, but I think that they'll go traditional royal, or the very least Norwegian. Märtha & Ari didn't have those obligations, as Maud Angelica isn't a princess, but I believe Mette-Marit & Haakon will name at least their first born somewhat traditional as he/she is probably going to rule Norway one day.

And old-fashioned names are in again in Norway.

Besides Mette-Marit used a fairly Scandinavian name when she named her son...

You can wonder though, if they're giving the heir two names, following the precedent set by Sonja and Harald when they gave Märtha Louise and Haakon Magnus two names, and Märtha & Ari gave Maud Angelica two names... or if they want to keep it at one name as to have some similarity between Marius and the new baby?

It's an interesting discussion, as something that's boring and traditional to someone might not be it to others. I love it. :blush: But then I'm a freak when it comes to names.

List over Norwegian Queens through the ages, from VG who has it from another book. The names used are mostly the Norwegian names on them, the queens from other countries were often given more Norwegian spellings of their names in earlier times.

Ragnhild Eirksdatter (ca. 900), Danish, married to Harald Hårfagre
Gunhild Gormsdatter (ca. 900), married to Eirik Blodøks
Gudrun Jarnskjeggsdatter (slutten av 900tallet), married to Olav Trygvasson
Tyra Haraldsdatter (slutten av 900tallet), married to Olav Trygvasson after Gudrun's death.
Astrid Olavsdatter (1019-1030), Swedish, married to Olav den hellige
Ellisiv Jaroslavdatter (1047-1066), Russian , married to Harald Hardråde
Ingrid Svendsdatter (1069-1093), married to Olav Kyrre
Margreta Fredkolla (1101-1103), Swedish, married to Magnus Berrføtt
Ingeborg Guttormsdatter (1120-1123), married to Øystein Magnusson
Malmfrid Mstislavdatter (1117-1130), Russioan , married to Sigurd Jorsalfare
Kristin Knudsdatter (1130-1133), married to Magnus den blinde
Ingerid Rangvaldsdatter (1134-1136) , Swedish , married to Harald Gille
Ragna Nikolasdatter (11??-1157), married to Øystein Haraldsson
Margreta Eriksdatter (1185-1202) , married to Sverre Sigurdsson
Margrete Skulesdatter (1225-1263), married to Håkon Håkonsson
Ingeborg Eiriksdatter (1263-1280), married to Magnus Lagabøte
Margaret Alexanderdatter (1281-1283), Scottish , married to Eirik Magnusson
Isabella Bruce (1293-1299) ,Scottish, married to Eirik Magnusson, when Margaret died
Eufemia av Ruppin (1299-1312), German, married to Håkon 5 Magnusson
Blanka av Namur (1335-1355) Belgian, married to Magnus Eiriksson
Margrete (1363-1380 & 1387-1397), Danish , first queen married to Håkon 6 Magnusson, later as ruling/reigning queen after her husband and their son died.
Filippa av England (1406-1430), married to Erik av Pommern
Dorotea av Brandenburg (1145-1148),German, married to Christoffer av Bayern
Katarina Karsdatter (1449-1450) Swedish, married to Karl Knutsson Bonde
Christine av Sachsen (1483-1513), German, married to King Hans
Isabella av Spania, married to Christian 2
Sofie av Pommern, German, married to Frederik 1
Dorotea av Lauenburg (1537-1571),German, married to Christian 3
Sofie av Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1572-1588), German, married to Frederik 2
Anna Cathrine av Brandeburg (1597-1612), German, married to Christian 4
Sofie Amalie av Braunschweig-Lüneneburg (1648-1670),German, married to Frederik 3
Charlotte Amalie av Hessen-Kassel (1670-1699), German, married to Christian V
Louise av Mecklenburg-Güstrow (1699-1721), German, married to Frederik 4
Anna Sofie Reventlow (1721-1730), German, married to Frederik 4, when Louise died
Sofie Magdalene av Bayeruth (1730-1746), German, married to Christian 6
Louise av England (1746-1751), married to Frederik 5
Juliane Marie av Brauwschweig-Wolfenbüttel (1752-1766), German, married to Frederik 5
Caroline Mathilde av England (1766-1772), married to Christian 7
Marie Sofie Fredrikke av Hessen (1808-1814), German, married to Frederik 6
Hedvig Elisabeth Charlotte av Oldenburg (1814-1818) German, married to Karl 2
Desirée (1818-1844), French, married to Karl Johan
Joséphine de Beauharnais (1844-1859), French, married to Oscar 1
Louise av Nederland (1859-1872), Dutch , married to Karl 4
Sophie av Nassau (1872-1905), German, married to Oscar 2
Maud (1905-1938), English, married to Haakon 7
Sonja (1991- ), the first Norwegian-born queen since 1280.

Kilde: Norges dronninger i 1000 år av Nils Petter Thuesen, Tiden forlag 1991.

The list of kings/ruling queen can be found at http://www.kongehuset.no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom