Marius Borg Hoiby - Discussions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personal US experience

Within my own family, we have two "step" situations.

My sister was widowed. She remarried 2 years ago. Her son from her first marriage calls his stepfather by his first name. To call that man "dad" or "papa" would be disrespectful of his much-loved and sorely missed father.

My grandmother died in 1960. My grandfather remarried. We never called my father's stepmother anything other than her first name, Betty. Again, it would be disrespectful to my deceased grandmother to call anyone else by the title and style (dare we say rank?) that was hers alone.

(I was excoriated on another thread for stating that this was the case in the second instance. However, in that thread, "one must consider the source." :whistling:)

Since they seem to genuinely love him, I would hope grandfather and grandmother.

Just curious, I don't mean any harm or heated debates but who's financing Marius' education and other expenses? Does he get an allowance (aka tax payers' moulah) or his father still provides for him as he should be?

I apologize for the belated comment but today was the first time I came across this thread.
It is clear that the boy is a full member of the private royal family, albeit not a constitutionally or legally backed member of the Royal House.

Irrespective of what his biologic father does, Haakon is his step-father and, as a good man, he will set the example also in that role/capacity.

We should be aware that dynasts on civil lists receive compensation for staff, travel and other expenses as well as apanage in lieu of "salary", which they can spend as and when they please. This money is plenty to provide among other things for the upbringing of a step child.

Well, I would imagine that when MM became a member of the royal family, and Norways future queen, that she forewent the amount that she would receive from the state. I think that it is only fair that if you have enough income of your own to support your family, that you do not recieve support, in the form of money or such, to support that family. I think that state sponsored support should be for those that are not in a financially stable situation. Or that can put the funds to good use.

I would hope that MM does not receive anything from the state for any of her children. On the other hand, I do hope that his father contributes to his care, even though his mother is in a very secure position. As his father that is only right.

Regarding his education, does he go to a public school? I would understand if there was a need for him to go into a private school given his families position. However, when the Norwegian people accepted MM they also accepted Marius, so I imagine that they do not balk very much at providing for him just as they provide for the rest of the family. And if he does not receive the benefits of his mother and step fathers position, then I am sure that the RF themselves are happy to support him.

Everyone get child benefits in NOrway, does not matter if you are unemployed or a multi billionair, it is the same amount for everyone, dont think the H and MM does, but I think Märtha does, seem to remember reading that she did.

Marius goes to public school, as did Haakon and Märtha and Harald also.

I am very curious about the child benefit, how much is it? In the US, no one except low income, less then around $10,000-$12,000/yr, receive any support from the goverment, although they do provide health insurance for the children and food stamps. If you have a job, I don't believe you can get welfare. I am not to sure of the criteria because no one in family receives any goverment assistance. Thanks

I am very curious about the child benefit, how much is it? In the US, no one except low income, less then around $10,000-$12,000/yr, receive any support from the goverment, although they do provide health insurance for the children and food stamps. If you have a job, I don't believe you can get welfare. I am not to sure of the criteria because no one in family receives any goverment assistance. Thanks

In 2007, the basic rates give 11, 640 Norwegian Kroner (about $2,130) per year per child, regardless of the parents' financial situation.

Single mothers (as Mette-Marit was prior to marriage) also get an additional sum when the child is between 0 and three years - of about 7, 920 Norwegian kroner a year, as well as double the basic rate if she only has one child until that child turns 18.

Are the norwegians trying to lower the birth rate? Or am I misreading this? It seems like they get double the amount of the basic amount if they on ly have one child.

Are the norwegians trying to lower the birth rate? Or am I misreading this? It seems like they get double the amount of the basic amount if they on ly have one child.

No, the double benefit for one child is only for single mothers - it is not about promoting a one-child-policy, but rather the fact that single parent families don't have two incomes for suppprting a child, and having one child can be more expensive than two, in that they usually can inherit stuff from each other. Or something like that.

Everyone get child benefits in NOrway, does not matter if you are unemployed or a multi billionair, it is the same amount for everyone, dont think the H and MM does, but I think Märtha does, seem to remember reading that she did.

As Märtha Louise don't receive apanage anymore, she does receive other financial benefits from the state that other Norwegian citizens do get: payment during illness, payment for the birthing period and child benefits for the children. NRK.no - Prinsessebryllupet

I had assumed that Mette-Marit would get the basic benefit for Marius, considering he's not a royal, but I've found no source indicating either way - it's only been mentioned in the press prior to the wedding, and when it was mentioned afterwards, it was only in the context of Ingrid Alexandra, who they don't get it for. But, given that it all comes from the state, anyway… :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The answer is clear. Haakon pays Marius education. I believe his father doesn´t have money.

All of Europe is having a major fertility problem. However, Norway is doing relatively well (1.9 births/woman in 2006 compared to Italy's and Spain's 1.29 and Greece's 1.35).
Still, Norway has very strong incentives to enhance fertility. I think you misread it. First of all, in her second paragraph, norwegianne, is referring to single mothers, an entirely different case.
The basic idea, if I get it right, is that a single mother, whether with one or several children must make major core, qualitative adjusments in her life, e.g. in her studies, work environment etc. From then on, with each additional child, that is, the incremental needs are of a quantitative nature [cost per child's capita], thus smaller.

The answer is clear. Haakon pays Marius education. I believe his father doesn´t have money.
Marius education is more or less free as long as he attends public school, university/higher public education is also almost free, just a small fee (like 200 dollars a year pluss books),

Marius father is from a well to do family, his mother is in the same circle as the Queen, his brother is married to the Queens Goddaughter and his wife is the daughter of multi millionair, not really a family that would have trouble financing an almost free education in Norway....

Sure, Larzen. I agree with you that the whole discussion here is a moot (academic) issue, but I can understand the thread-initiator's point in that, in the USA,
a) a child's education, particularly at the tertiary level, may cost a fortune and
b) the public is not as accepting or approving of the concept of welfare society, as are the European citizens.

Btw, I have two quick off-topic questions. When did the child's father get married, before or after Marius's birth? What is Mette-Marit family's socioeconomic status?

The education is not only in the school, but also Marius lives with his mother in a palace. He has nanny, bodyguard, etc.

On the other hand, I have read news about Marius biological father(Jaime Peñafiel). I believe that He had a lot of financial problems.

On the other hand, I have read news about Marius biological father(Jaime Peñafiel). I believe that He had a lot of financial problems.

Who is Jaime Peñafiel? Never heard this name...

Marius biological father is Morten Borg.

Didn't Marius father marry a VERY wealth brazilian lady last a couple of years ago? If CP-H pays for bodyguards, thats ok, if his mother hadn't married a Prince, Marius would not need body guards at all.

I dont think just because Haakon is the Cp & Marius is living with him is that he would pay for it. If Marius goes to public school than its free but if he goes to private school than i really dont mind who pays for it but i would expect Marius's father to somewhat pay for something or give him an allowance at least

Jaime Peñafiel is an expert about European Royalty. He wrote that Mette Marit worked in a bar.

Sure, Larzen. I agree with you that the whole discussion here is a moot (academic) issue, but I can understand the thread-initiator's point in that, in the USA,
a) a child's education, particularly at the tertiary level, may cost a fortune and
b) the public is not as accepting or approving of the concept of welfare society, as are the European citizens.

Btw, I have two quick off-topic questions. When did the child's father get married, before or after Marius's birth? What is Mette-Marit family's socioeconomic status?

Marius' father married Celine Maktabi (the daughter of Lebanese Businessman Mahmoud Maktabi) in 2004, ie. years after Marius' birth.

Without having an insight into the family's private economy, I'd say they were situated just about the same as other "normal" Norwegian families. Not overly rich, but not poor either.

in the official webpage they refer to marius as "Master Marius Borg Høiby". i was confused... what is the master title? is it just simply as the "don/doña" in spain? or is it a proper title?

In the Norwegian official webpage, also refers that Master Marius Borg Hoiby, is the elder child of Crown Prince and Princess.

Master is a title that has kind of fallen out of use in modern times, but it is sort of like the title Miss for girls. It used to denote a boy under 13 or sometimes an unmarried man, until the use of Mr became more common for men and boys over 13. It's still in use in England, though, I think, and other parts of Europe as well, but has fallen into disuse in America.

For instance, the Queen's grandson, Peter Phillips, was known as Master Peter Phillips when he was a baby, because he didn't have a title. Now that he's an adult, he's known as Mr Peter Phillips. See from the BRF's line of succession, how Peter, because he's an adult, is known as Mr, while his cousin, Samuel Chatto, because he's still a minor, is referred to as Master Samuel.

11. Mr. Peter Phillips
17. Master Samuel Chatto

Last edited:
I'm not sure how it is used in Norway, but I read on Wikipedia, and actually know by some experience, that young boys are referred here in the U.S. as Master in very formal situations (such as if they were a member of a wedding party). It's really only used in formal situations I think, and by the time they're thirteen or fourteen, it changes to Mister (Mr.), which is much, much more commonly used. I also noticed that they addressed Märtha-Louise's dauthers as Miss Maud Angelica Behn and Miss Leah Isadora Behn, so perhaps the website is just using the more formal title for the children. They also always address him with it in his biography, instead of saying just Marius. (ex. Master Marius attends primary school)

Last edited:
The Master title is only used in the English version, as is the Miss on Märtha Louise's daughers. Its Norwegian equivalents - Herr (Mr/Master) & Frøken (Miss) is not really in much use in Norwegian society any more. I think that one of the few times I've heard Frøken used (aside from about the only time I used it myself, in 1-2 grade for my teacher at times) is when Mette-Marit was marrying into the royal family, and the communications from the Palace about her. It is (sort-of) Palace-level formality to it, and even that, it seems, does not extend to children in Norwegian.

Not a chance, in norway even the princess and princes dont get any other titles like duke or duchess as we do in sweden and many other monarchies.

Even Princess Märtha's little daughters didn't get any title. They just got the surname of their father. They are just Maud Angelica Behn and Leah Isadora Behn.

But she isn't a princess anymore, she has resigned her interference with the royal court of norway. Märtha louise is the black sheep of the family

But she isn't a princess anymore, she has resigned her interference with the royal court of norway. Märtha louise is the black sheep of the family
Princess Ragnhild and Princess Astrid aren't Royal Highnesses either.
All 3, Princess Ragnhild, Princess Astrid and Princess Märtha lost their title as "Her Royal Highness" when they married commoners, but all 3 stayed "Princesses", as you can see in their profiles here: kongehuset.no - Kongefamilien
So, already 3 black sheep. :shifty:

Apart from this: Mette-marit was not a Princess when Marius was born. and Marius' dad was not a prince. Prince Haakon didn't adopt Marius (as Morten Borg Hoiby still is Marius' dad and cares for him. As far as I know they have a good relationship).
So, why should Marius get a title?

He is completely included into the family. Even without any title. That's it.

Last edited:

I didn't know that Martha-Louise is the black sheep of the family. Is that true?

I heard the King was displeased with some interview with Ragnhild but they made up but that's the last that I heard.

Back
Top Bottom