Marius Borg Hoiby - Discussions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Ragnhild and Princess Astrid aren't Royal Highnesses either.
All 3, Princess Ragnhild, Princess Astrid and Princess Märtha lost their title as "Her Royal Highness" when they married commoners, but all 3 stayed "Princesses", as you can see in their profiles here: kongehuset.no - Kongefamilien
it.
But Märtha Louise lost her Royal Highness already on 01.02.2002 3 1/2 months before her marriage and the official reason given was because of her private business.

I didn't know that Martha-Louise is the black sheep of the family. Is that true?

I heard the King was displeased with some interview with Ragnhild but they made up but that's the last that I heard.

Yes, she is considered as a black sheep. Ari Behn, her husband is an failed author and an ex-addict. She claims that she can speak with ghosts, she is also the first Norwegian royalty who has been in court in front of a judge. Märtha Louise resigned her title, she didn't lost it. But she still uses the title princess to promote her books.

The Norwegian court is indeed a very strange one.. In sweden it would be considered unequal not to grant Marius a title, but is he adopted by CP. Haakon?

Last edited:
Why is the Norwegian court a strange one?
I don't see any problem. I really don't.
Every Royal House handels their family business in another way. Actually think, that the Norwegian court is probably the most liberal one. They included Marius right from the beginning. (Just like Ari Behn.)

Märtha lost her title because she decided to marry Ari Behn.

As I said before:
Marius is NOT adopted by Haakon, because Marius has a very good relation to his father Morten.

Last edited:
I didn't know that Martha-Louise is the black sheep of the family. Is that true?
Not necessarily. Who the black sheep of the family seems to change accordingly to what the press wants to focus on.

Märtha Louise gave up her HRH status some months prior to her marriage, because she wanted to focus on her own creative talents and use them in a business, as mentioned by Stefan. If she hadn't done so, it seems likely that the same procedure as with her aunts, Ragnhild and Astrid, would have been followed - the same procedure which was copied in Sweden with Princess Margaretha, Mrs Ambler, Princess Christina Mrs Magnuson and Princess Desirée, Baroness Silfverschiöld.

Her correct name is Princess Märtha Louise - it is not merely something she uses to promote books.

I have to admit I'm not too fond of Ari Behn's books - but I would not consider him a failed author.

Marius is not adopted by Haakon.

All this being said - can we get back on topic? Märtha Louise and Ari have perfectly fine threads of their own in their own subforum, even Astrid and Ragnhild have threads of their own….

Yes, she is considered as a black sheep. Ari Behn, her husband is an failed author and an ex-addict. She claims that she can speak with ghosts, she is also the first Norwegian royalty who has been in court in front of a judge. Märtha Louise resigned her title, she didn't lost it. But she still uses the title princess to promote her books.

The Norwegian court is indeed a very strange one.. In sweden it would be considered unequal not to grant Marius a title, but is he adopted by CP. Haakon?

As far as i know the norwegian King has no right to create Titles. So even if he would it is not possible for him to give marius an Title.

Is Marius still at Jansloekka School in Asker? Would he study at that school until he goes onto secondary school level? Do you think that he would go to Smestad eventually like Haakon? :flowers:

The Master title is only used in the English version, as is the Miss on Märtha Louise's daughers. Its Norwegian equivalents - Herr (Mr/Master) & Frøken (Miss) is not really in much use in Norwegian society any more. I think that one of the few times I've heard Frøken used (aside from about the only time I used it myself, in 1-2 grade for my teacher at times) is when Mette-Marit was marrying into the royal family, and the communications from the Palace about her. It is (sort-of) Palace-level formality to it, and even that, it seems, does not extend to children in Norwegian.

I also think they added it so that Marius has a "title" like the other children in the Crown Princes family. To me, it would be just like the CP family to want to try and make everything equal. :flowers:

Is Marius still at Jansloekka School in Asker? Would he study at that school until he goes onto secondary school level? Do you think that he would go to Smestad eventually like Haakon? :flowers:

Both Jansløkka & Smestad are only elementary schools. They only serve children from the age of 6 to the age of 12/13. Pupils from Jansløkka skole usually move on to Solvang Ungdomsskole (Solvang Middle School) - but it also happen in the Oslo-area go to Kristelig Gymnasium in Oslo for their Middle School needs as Haakon did when Märtha Louise started high school there. (More practical transportation and security-wise).

I suspect that Marius will continue on to Solvang, as the practical aspect of starting school in Oslo for middle school isn't there on the same level as it was for Haakon and Märtha Louise, who already went to school in Oslo and had friends there - Marius' circle of friends is most likely in his school and when many of those continue to Solvang, it would seem likely that he would do so as well.

As far as i know the norwegian King has no right to create Titles. So even if he would it is not possible for him to give marius an Title.

He can create titles, but only for those who are in line to the throne, which Marius isn't. Considering that he hasn't created titles for Maud Angelica and Leah Isadora, both of whom are in line to the throne, and is downsizing Sverre Magnus' status, it doesn't seem plausible that he'd even hand out a title to Marius if he could.

I don't think Marius will be able to recieve any type of title being he was not born a member of this family but became apart of this family through his mother's marriage to the prince.He is still accepted as a member of the family which is nice even though he carries no title at all.

Just some comments; for schooling - it's partly true that higher education is free. When you go to public upper secondary school you have to buy the school books and notebooks and so on yourself. But to go to the school is free (no fee). And for public universities and polytechnicolleges you have to pay a small fee each semester (500 nok plus/minus a 100 nok depending on which insitution you are at and it covers paper mostly, for copying and printing) and also you buy the books and supplies you need. And for quality of the public mandatory school, it may vary from municipality to muncipality due to funding, but that is another can of worms.

This is true. But you forgot that school transport (if needed) is for free. The Norwegian Government also offers grants and loans to all students from upper secondary school.

Copypasted from www.lanekassen.no :
- The support is initially given as a loan, however, 40 percent of the loan may be converted to a grant if and when the student passes his/her exams or after graduation. There are special arrangements for maternity leave, illness and students with children.
- Loans from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund (Lånekassen) are interest free as long as you are a student and you receive or are entitled to support. In cases of low income, unemployment, illness, childbirth or care of small children, we may waive the interest and you may postpone repayments for a period.
- In some cases we may cancel all or parts of the loan. This applies if you live and work in certain parts of Northern Norway. All, or parts of the loan, may also be cancelled if illness prevents you from working (it is a requirement that you receive a disability pension from the National Insurance Scheme). Your debt is cancelled in case of death.

Grants and loans may also be given for education in foreign countries.

As for who pays for Marius' care. The system in Norway is such that when the parents of the child isn't living together (through divorce and split ups) the person who has the daily care for the child will recieve a monthly sum (even though some persons refuse to pay) from the parent who doesn't have the daily care. The size of the sum depends of the number of kids you have to provide for and what your income is. I guess it's the same for Marius. His dad pays a montly sum for his care (to buy clothes, to pay spare time activities and so on). IMO, Haakon also will provide financially for Marius' care, as Marius is a member of his family.

It also depends on what kind of arrangement the parents have. If the child lives every second week at each parent, there's no child support to any of the parent.

Well they could have chosen a more recent picture than the one at the beginning !

Why isn't Marius Borg Hoiby called prince when his younger brother and sister are called prince and princess? I don't understand what they have against Marius. Will he never be able to be royal?

She is a Princess, but not a Royal Highness.

What is the difference between a princess and a royal highness? I thought they were just two different terms that meant the same thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why isn't Marius Borg Hoiby called prince when his younger brother and sister are called prince and princess? I don't understand what they have against Marius. Will he never be able to be royal??

Marius isn't called prince as he is not royal by birth. His brother and sister are children of the Crown Prince of Norway and biological grandchildren of the King of Norway. While I'm sure Marius is fully accepted as a member of the family he is not a royal and therefore has no titles

What is the difference between a princess and a royal highness? I thought they were just two different terms that meant the same thing?

"Prince"/Princess" is a title, "Royal Highness" is an adress, like when you start a question towars a prince: "Your Royal Highness, do you think....?"
In Britain there are royal (Edinburgh, York, Gloucester and Kent, related to the sovereign), and non-royal Dukes. The royal Dukes are "Royal Highnesses", the non-royal ones (Westminster, Portland etc.) "Your Grace"

Last edited:
Why isn't Marius Borg Hoiby called prince when his younger brother and sister are called prince and princess? I don't understand what they have against Marius. Will he never be able to be royal?

Marius is not a royal. His mother was at the time of his birth a commoner, also was his father. He has no chances to get a royal title.

The royal couple has nothing against Marius. There are many pictures with Marius and the Royal Family and the pictures are showing very tender moments. I remember to one interview before Emma was born, the Queen says that she is proud of her five grandchildren.

Could it not be possible, that - when Marius Borg Hoiby gets of full age - that he may obtain a noble title?

When H&MM become King and Queen, there may be a chance that Marius will recieve some sort of title. But we will have to wait and see.

When H&MM become King and Queen, there may be a chance that Marius will recieve some sort of title. But we will have to wait and see.

Marius has zero chance of ever getting a title as there are no titles for him to receive. Norway has no nobility, there are no Dukes, Counts, Barons, Lord etc. The royals have king/queen/ prince/ princess, Marius is not the son of a prince so he can't have the title prince. (Haakon has not adopted Marius, Marius has a father and one he spends time with on a regular basis)

Well, I think Princess Robing was wrong. Martha Louise is Princess of Norway and she is styled as Her Highness

Martha Louise is a princess, she voluntarily gave up her HRH (Her Royal Highness) style in January 2002. When she is outside of Norway she has the status of HH (Her Highness) as do the King's Sisters, in Norway they have no style just the title princess.

I truly like how the Norwegian royal family has welcomed Mette-Marit and her son into their family. Marius was never been ignored but is respected as the crown princess' son. He even has his own page at the Hakoon's and Mette-Marit's internet homepage stating him as part of the royal family but without a royal title. Marius is such a lovely little boy and you can see that he has been raised to have good maners and attitutes. He looks like to be a good brother to his younger siblings. And you can see that both Hakoon and Mette-Marit love Marius very much. I am sure he will make his way once he gets older without any royal titles. I do not know so much about his real father but as far as I remember Marius gets along with him very well - also Mette-Marit and Hakoon are in good terms with him. He doesn't seem to like the public very much and doesn't try to profit from his ex-girl friend and their child, which puts a positive light upon him - to be honest.

The Norwegian crown princely family give a good example of nowadays modern patchwork families.

What a beautiful boy is this dear little Marius.

How old is Marius? I recall reading that he was 3 when his mother got married so is he 14 now? All 3 of his parents need to watch out for him because he is a looker and the girls much be going crazy over him already.

He's going to be a heartbreaker as he gets older; what a handsome young man!

You mean when he goes to college?
Also I've heard that Marius goes to public school? Though he is not royalty, seeing as how his mother is a Princess shouldn't he go to private school where there is more security? JW
15?! Oh...now I definitely know he's a heart breaker, unless he goes to an all boys school where the girls can't get to him. ;)

You mean when he goes to college?
Also I've heard that Marius goes to public school? Though he is not royalty, seeing as how his mother is a Princess shouldn't he go to private school where there is more security? JW
15?! Oh...now I definitely know he's a heart breaker, unless he goes to an all boys school where the girls can't get to him. ;)

The Norwegian royals don't go to private schools, they attend local state schools just like other children.

Back
Top Bottom