Marius Borg Hoiby - Discussions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think both the Royal Family and Morton Borg and his family deserve credit for how well they've handled the blending of families. After all, it can't have been easy to have had your ex-girlfriend marry the future king of your country! I think the pictures that stick out most in my mind are those of Haakon, Mette-Marit, and Morton Borg taking Marius to school. Both families have handled an unprecedented situation extremely well, always putting the child first.

They seem like a very well blended happy family. I wouldn't be suprised though if some day Marius is given a minor title to make sure that he is included in all state events, especially once his sister is queen.

I think they would have given Marius a title if there was nobility in Norway. But as there is none... there is really no point in giving him a title.
Not even his brother Sverre Magnus has a HRH.

The Norwegians recently renovated their website, and I think the way that Marius is treated on what is their official media portal is an indicator of how the Royal Family generally considers him.

He has his own page, no different to his brother and sister. The only indication that Marius is not Haakon's biological child, or even that he is in any way different to the rest of the family, is that on Haakon's profile he is not mentioned as one of his children.

I like that. Simple, no fuss. And I would think that the rest of the Royals simply consider him part of the family.

Emmy said:
The Norwegians recently renovated their website, and I think the way that Marius is treated on what is their official media portal is an indicator of how the Royal Family generally considers him.

He has his own page
I am in 110% agreement.

I think its a "master-stroke" by Prince Haakon in more ways than one.

First off,
he marries a single-mom .... and single-mom's abound in Norway and Scandinavia and for that matter the world .... so, he creates not so much a "connection" but lends it the "royal house-keeping seal of approval" that single-momhood is ok as consort to a royal institution.

Two,
Given that Marius is the "oldest" child in the family, (the future Crown) Princess Ingrid in growing up doesn't affect 'airs', isn't isolated as the oldest and so forth. I tell ya ... that Haakon must have read more than one book or listened (like I mean really listened) to a few speeches on family dynamics.

Haakon is one smart cookie, as far as I am concerned. And this is evidenced by the pictures I see of Haakon and Marius ... there isn't - to me - any averse body-language from older to younger.

i think they have done a great job of accepting him and making him feel a real part of the family. haakon seems to really love him and treats him very well, and marius seems to like haakon as well.

however, i think it will become different as his younger half-siblings, especially I.A., get older and more involved in the royal appearances, outings, trips, etc. they will obviously be the centers of attention, being the real daughter and son of haakon and in line to the throne. despite all this, i know haakon and mette-marit will do their best to make this transition easier for everybody.

but for the time being, i think the most important thing is that marius gets plenty of tender love, care, and attention, no matter if he is royalty or not. i know that in haakon and mette-marit's hearts, no child is more special than another, even if they are or aren't in line to the throne.

I always considered admirable the way that Norwegian Royal Family treats Marius. He is a nice young boy, and he seems to be happy with Haakon and his two siblings. I think we must not said " he is treated AS if he was part of the Royal family"...in fact, he IS part of it..Since he is Princesse Mette Marit's son, and she is Princess Ingrid and Prince Sverre Magnus mother too...it is clair that Marius IS part of the family. He belongs to it.

Of course, he is not Prince Haakon biological child, but I've never doubted he considers the boy as his own . Like good step-parents considers their wife's children or even his adopted children, his own.

Howver, I wish I know a little more info abour the King and the Queen's relationship with little Marius. I hope they considers the child as their own grandson too...

Vanesa.

While I obviously don't know what goes on behind closed doors, it has always been my impression that the NRF has accepted Marius with open arms and treat him as a member of their family.

That's my opinion as well.

Marius is not treated as Mette'Marit's son, he is treated like any member of the family, like any of the children of the Crown Princely couple.
I think the new website of the Norwegian Royal Family illustrated that pretty clearly - they didn't write 'Marius is the son of the Princess from previous relationship', they wrote 'Marius is the eldest child in the family of the Crown Princely couple', I think that says a lot.

And I believe Crown Prince Haakon genuinly loves Marius, that's so clear from numerous obviously not staged pictures. And the king and Queen, especially Queen Sonja seem to be very fond of Marius as well.
He's just a family member.

The fact that he is included on the NRF's website and the fact that he is allowed to attend some of the official functions(without the other children) is a clear indication that he is accepted as a family member and is very well accepted by the King and Queen especially. Well done to them. I suppose and this is my opinion really, the shoe could so easily have been on the other foot.

Stellad

Gosh, doesn't this call for ALOT of speculation?

Rebafan81 said:
I have been reading a lot of posts that question the treatment of Marius as a step-son and step-grandson to the Royal family. I was wondering how other's on the forum perceive his treatment.
I will start.... I think CP Haakon and Mette-Marit have done a wonderful job with Marius. I have seen them together a lot through the press and it seems to me that Haakon treats him like he is his child. CP HM is always talking to him, touching him and helping him out. Marius seems very happy when he is with his step-dad, mom and his siblings. I personally think he is treated like one of the family and has been since the beginning of their marriage. I think, IMO, that a lot of the attention that IA and SM receive is not because they are royal and he isn't but because they are younger and require more attention. This is not meant to offend anyone's opinion, we all have them, this is just my prospective.
Happy posting.....:cool:

Ummm, good topic and I appreciate your interest, here, but ... doesn't this call for alot of speculation on our parts?

I mean, I would love to think that The Royal Family has welcomed young Marius into their fold just like they have done for his Mother, Mette-Marit, you know?
He looks to be the sweetest boy from the videos I have viewed that show him being lovingly handled by both his Mum and The CP.

However, the following is also true:

I am a bit curious as to why Haakon (allegedly, reportedly) has not chosen to formally adopt Marius, as his own ... In my opinion, doing this would be the "icing on the cake" of acceptance. You know, it would really validate that Marius has been taken under The Royals' Wing and accepted truly and fully as a member of The Family.

But, I guess that adopting Marius formally, under Norwegian law might mean that he'd then be listed in the order of succession and allowed Royal rights and so forth.

Norwegianne, care to help me out, here?

-- Abbie :flowers:

HRH Abigail said:
Ummm, good topic and I appreciate your interest, here, but ... doesn't this call for alot of speculation on our parts?

I mean, I would love to think that The Royal Family has welcomed young Marius into their fold just like they have done for his Mother, Mette-Marit, you know?
He looks to be the sweetest boy from the videos I have viewed that show him being lovingly handled by both his Mum and The CP.

However, the following is also true:

I am a bit curious as to why Haakon (allegedly, reportedly) has not chosen to formally adopt Marius, as his own ... In my opinion, doing this would be the "icing on the cake" of acceptance. You know, it would really validate that Marius has been taken under The Royals' Wing and accepted truly and fully as a member of The Family.

But, I guess that adopting Marius formally, under Norwegian law might mean that he'd then be listed in the order of succession and allowed Royal rights and so forth.

Norwegianne, care to help me out, here?

I can't speak on the Norwegian law...but why should Haakon formally adopt Marius as his own?

Marius has a biological father (for the record I hate that term but it emphasizes a point in this case) who is a FATHER in every sense of the word...he is related by blood, sees his son and has a relationship with him. I am not familiar with Norwegian law, but in the states (making a general statement I believe its the case for all 50) if Haakon was to adopt Marius his "father" would have to sign away all parental rights to Marius. Now if Marius's father did not have a relationship with him, never saw him or was deceased...than I can see why some would question whyHaakon had not adopted him. But that is not the case here. Marius is one of the lucky ones from what I can see...he has two "fathers" who love him.

Zonk said:
I can't speak on the Norwegian law...but why should Haakon formally adopt Marius as his own?

Marius has a biological father (for the record I hate that term but it emphasizes a point in this case) who is a FATHER in every sense of the word...he is related by blood, sees his son and has a relationship with him. I am not familiar with Norwegian law, but in the states (making a general statement I believe its the case for all 50) if Haakon was to adopt Marius his "father" would have to sign away all parental rights to Marius. Now if Marius's father did not have a relationship with him, never saw him or was deceased...than I can see why some would question whyHaakon had not adopted him. But that is not the case here. Marius is one of the lucky ones from what I can see...he has two "fathers" who love him.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain for Haakon to adopt Marius if they were living in the States, Marius's father would have to give up parental rights to him. That way he would be saying he is no longer legally responsible for anything that happens to the child. However, Haakon doesn't need to formally adopt him because he already has a father who is a very committed part of his life.

Zonk said:

Mmmm, good point.

I hadn't realised how much a part, in his life, that Marius' natural Dad still plays. I thought that CP Haakon had taken over as "The Father Figure" if you will.
I just think it'd be a nice gesture were Haakon to make a move towards wantig to adopt Marius formally, as doing so, IN MY OPINION, would make him more a part of the Royal Family which his dear Mother is now so much a part of, you know?

HRH Abigail said:
I just think it'd be a nice gesture were Haakon to make a move towards wantig to adopt Marius formally, as doing so, IN MY OPINION, would make him more a part of the Royal Family which his dear Mother is now so much a part of, you know?

In order for Haakon to formally adopt Marius, his father would have to terminate all parental rights to him, in essence saying he's unfit to be the father. Why would he do something like that, especially if it's not true? Haakon just can't say "I married the kid's mother, I want to the be the legal father." He has no right to do it, if Martin (I believe that's Marius's father's name) has not presented himself to be a danger to the child.

Sister Morphine said:
In order for Haakon to formally adopt Marius, his father would have to terminate all parental rights to him, in essence saying he's unfit to be the father. Why would he do something like that, especially if it's not true? Haakon just can't say "I married the kid's mother, I want to the be the legal father." He has no right to do it, if Martin (I believe that's Marius's father's name) has not presented himself to be a danger to the child.
Marius' father is called Morten. :flowers:

Personally I find this discussion moot, as in my opinion, a) Marius has been accepted by the Royal Family. An adoption wouldn't change this. Furthermore as Marius' father is still alive, and he has a family on that side that Marius seems to spend some time with - it doesn't really make sense to bring an adoption into the picture.

Two problems with adoption would be (The Norwegian Adoption Law)
§ 13. At the adoption, the adopted child, and its heirs, get the same judicial position as if the adopted child had been the adopted parents' biological child, if not some other law prohibits it. At the same time, the judicial relationship with the biological family disappears, if not something is stated in another law.

If a spouse has adopted the other spouse's child, the child will have the same judicial position in relation to the spouses as if it was their joint child.
(emphasis mine). Link to the law - in Norwegian: http://lovdata.no/all/hl-19860228-008.html

norwegianne said:
Personally I find this discussion moot, as in my opinion, a) Marius has been accepted by the Royal Family. An adoption wouldn't change this.
Okay, I accept your opinion.

Howver, I would like to say something, please ...

In this Country (the USA), and in the Milieu in which I was born and raised, when one or both parents formally adopt a child into a family who is NOT a Biological offspring of said family, the adoption process is seen to be the 'sealing of the deal' in terms of familial acceptance.
Haakon accepted Mette-Marit into HIS family by formally marrying her.

I am thinking that perhaps formally adopting Marius into HIS family would also be a fitting move, but perhaps, acc. to Norwegian Law, this might not be seen to be as necessary.

I hope that Marius IS accepted fully into The Royal Fold, as I feel that he should be.
I also hope that Marius also sees alot of his Natural father as any young boy, in his formative years, would want to do.

He's the sweetest looking little Guy -- My heart just melts whenever I see him in both photos and in videos.

Last edited:
dont think there is any need for Prince Haakon to adopted marius ,
he has a father who he see, and it seems that everyone on both side's is happy .

Last edited:
HRH Abigail said:
Okay, I accept your opinion.

Howver, I would like to say something, please ...

In this Country (the USA), when one or both parents formally adopt a child into a family who is NOT a Biological offspring of said family, the adoption process is seen to be the 'sealing of the deal' in terms of familial acceptance. Haakon accepted Mette-Marit into HIS family by formally marrying her. I am thinking that perhaps formally adopting Marius into HIS family would also be a fitting move, but perhaps, acc. to Norwegian Law, this might not be seen to be as necessary.

I hope that Marius IS accepted fully into The Royal Fold, as I feel that he should be.
I also hope that Marius also sees alot of his Natural father as any young boy, in his formative years, would want to do.

He's the sweetest looking little Guy -- My heart just melts whenever I see him in both photos and in videos.

Abbie,that might be so in your country but yours is not Norway,and this whole discussion is moot to a fauld,tiresome even,even tho it's explained by others,over and over again,that Marius is perfectly happy with the extra sets of adults who love him and care.Once again,adopting is out of the question as Morten is around seeing Marius on a very regular basis.All get along well,especially thanks to a very understanding,broadminded and loving mother and step-dad and their families.

Alright

lucien said:
Abbie,that might be so in your country but yours is not Norway,and this whole discussion is moot to a fauld,tiresome even,even tho it's explained by others,over and over again,that Marius is perfectly happy with the extra sets of adults who love him and care.Once again,adopting is out of the question as Morten is around seeing Marius on a very regular basis.All get along well,especially thanks to a very understanding,broadminded and loving mother and step-dad and their families.
Right-o.

I was merely proferring my opinion as others have done, here, that's all.
It just seems odd to me that this child was not formally adopted, but of course I am very pleased to read that everyone gets along just fine and that all appears to be running smoothly.

lucien said:

Just to clarify something for our European members, it is NOT common in the United States for a stepfather to adopt the children of his new wife if the children's biological father is still alive.

What Haakon and Mette-Marit have done is exactly what most American couples would have done in the same situation.

Well ...

ysbel said:
Just to clarify something for our European members, it is NOT common in the United States for a stepfather to adopt the children of his new wife if the children's biological father is still alive.

What Haakon and Mette-Marit have done is exactly what most American couples would have done in the same situation.

It is common in my Milieu of upbringing, ysbel.
I am sorry to contradict you, here.
It may not be a common thing to do where you were born and brought up.

Also, how can you speak for most American Couples, in this country?
You sound like a Spokesperson.
Do you know most American Couples?

Just asking.

But, regardless: I am glad this topic was brought up, here.
It is a good thing to ask, and I am also glad to read that this child is so loved by everyone in the picture.

That Marius, who is just precious to behold, is treated well is the important thing.

HRH Abigail said:
It is common in my Milieu of upbringing, ysbel.
I am sorry to contradict you, here.
It may not be a common thing to do where you were born and brought up.

Actually my own personal experience are couples from their first marriage or relationship who stay together and I know for a fact that THAT is not common in the U.S. so it would be rather foolhardy to claim that it is.

However, one can scan the availability of childraising literature in the U.S., to determine which childraising situations are more common and which are not. The national media has a financial incentive to write about more common experiences across the country because they can relate to more people and thereby sell more newspapers and books.

There is a wealth of childraising advice written in magazines, newspaper articles and books in the U.S. whose subject is how to manage the relationships with children who have two sets of parents; their parents and their parents re-married partners (most literature recommends letting the child keep their relationships with both of their natural parents); whereas literature about stepparents adopting children from the first marriage is very rare by comparison, although you do see some mention of it when the subject is abuse by the natural parent or if there is another reason to want to cut off the child's relationship with the natural parent.

Given Mette-Marit's and Marius' father's history of drug use, I wasn't sure if Marius' father was the type of person that Mette-Marit wanted to distance Marius from (if he is still into drugs, that would be a good reason for her to want to limit Marius' exposure to him) but it appears that Mette-Marit still wants Marius to have a relationship with his father so their situation seems quite like the situation you read most about with American couples who raise children from their first relationships or marriages.

so their situation seems quite like the situation you read most about with American couples who raise children from their first relationships or marriages.
I agree. Their situation is very similar to that of a divorced couple who share joint custody and have both remarried. In those instances, it's not seen as "necessary" for the stepparent to legally adopt the child for him or her to feel like part of the family, so I don't see why the situation with Morten, Mette-Marit, Haakon, and Celina (I think that's the name of Morten's wife's) should be any different. They appear to have handled the situation very well.

I can understand why some people would want Haakon to adopt Marius, but I think it's important to forget about the "royal thing" for a minute. Morten's wife isn't expected to make a move towards formally adopting Marius. After all, Mette-Marit is his mother, a big part of his life, and hasn't been declared an unfit parent. It'd be insulting towards Mette-Marit (and overstepping a boundary IMO) if Morten's wife did that since she has no grounds to do so.

In my opinion, it would be just as insulting towards Morten if Mette-Marit's husband did the same thing - even if that husband does happen to be the future King of Norway.

Since Morten is involved in Maruis' life there would be no reason for Haakon to adopt him just as there would be no reason for Morten's wife to adopt him because Mette-Marit is in his life. And as norwegianne pointed out it would not even be legal for Haakon to adopt Marius as Morten is a big part of his life. Anyway, legal documents don't make people family, love does.

Stepfathers in Europe usually adopt the wife's children when the biological father is dead or doesn't accept his child.
So, I don't understad the discussion in this thread.

You can clearly see that Haakon loves Marius and totally accepted him as a "son". So, IMO there's no adoption needed.

Morten Borg is Marius' father and an important part in his life. He takes part in "marius's life". Mette-Marit often involves Morten in his life.
This year Marius spent Christmas with his dad and his wife (I think).

About the rest of the Royal family: They all accepted Marius. The King and Queen call him "their grandchild".
It' great to see Marius on the "Official Family Portraits" like the Christmas Photos, with the Royal Couple and the rest of the Family.
marius appears in front of Skaugum on May 17th every year and took part in the Coronation celebrations in 2006.

Last edited:
As interesting as it is - the adoption practices in other countries have nothing to do with this thread, as everybody involved are Norwegian citizens and live in Norway. Further discussion of how adoption is done in other countries, in this thread, will be deleted.

Norwegianne
Norwegian forum moderator.

I think that the prince is a great father for his children, of course, for Marius, too. I belive that the people should see that this prince is wonderful, and that he is better father that the prince Charles. Always, for me, prince Haakon is the "true father" of Marius because he is demostrated this.

I do not know if in Norway will be the same than in Argentina, my country. Here, it's usual that after a while of acquaitance, stepchildren would call their stepfathers , plainly "papa", even if he is not their biological "papa" (I do not used the word "real" for some stepfathers are more "real fathers" than the biological ones...:D ). Some others calls their stepfathers by their first name, but these are minorities...and most of the time, these stepfathers are dying to be called "papa"!

However,I do not know if in Norway this would be correct...

Vanesa.

Jo of Palatine said:
I wonder if one reason why Prince Sverre Magnus did not receive the style HRH was to make clear to Marius that - while Ingrid is the second in line and thus will become queen one day - his brother Sverre is just a boy like himself. Okay, he is "prince" Sverre but then his father is a prince, too, but he does not have a title that Marius doesn't have.

It would fit in with what is heard about the way Haakon and Mette-Marit really care for others - a way to give Marius the feeling that he is just as worthy as his "royal" siblings. Of course, it fits in as well with the carefulness the norwegian Royals handle their public image - in times when quite some "subjects" are convinced they don't need a Royal family, it is wise to reduce the amount of Royals who have a right to a special style.

Why would they have to do that with Sverre? It would not be fair to him, right? Marius should understand, by now, that he is not a member of the royal family. His father and mother were not members of the royal family when he was born. It seems unfair to the little boy! I'm sure he does not care and may never care, but if that is the reason, I don't think it is right...

Back
Top Bottom