International AIDS Conference in Toronto, Canada: August 13 -18, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larzen

Heir Presumptive
Here is PDF press release about her attendance to the AIDS Congress in Toronto in August, although I think calling her World Leader is a bit of a stretch:rolleyes: but they are calling Richard Gere world leader as well so I guess they are feeling generous:p
http://www.aids2006.org/admin/images/upload/976.pdf

Here are some first pics of Haakons event and some more from the national park
The Crown Princess opens two new National Parks; Blåfjella-Skjækerfjell National Park and Lierne National Park - Lierne. Pics here

19.00 The Crown Prince opens the International Summerschool - Oslo
The man in the costume is the Principal of the university in Oslo, they have theese costumes for special events
Scanpix/UiO/DN

Attachments

• Haakon1.jpg
    Haakon1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 268
  • sdfsd.jpg
    sdfsd.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 289
  • fuglekonge.jpg
    fuglekonge.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 486
  • moresfdfdsf.jpg
    moresfdfdsf.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 567
  • norrøna.jpg
    norrøna.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 536
  • norrøna 2.jpg
    norrøna 2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 353
  • sdfdsfsdfsdf.jpg
    sdfdsfsdfsdf.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 490
  • spech.jpg
    spech.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 418
Larzen said:
Here is PDF press release about her attendance to the AIDS Congress in Toronto in August, although I think calling her World Leader is a bit of a stretch:rolleyes: but they are calling Richard Gere world leader as well so I guess they are feeling generous:p
http://www.aids2006.org/admin/images/upload/976.pdf

Here are some first pics of Haakons event and some more from the national park

The man in the costume is the Principal of the university in Oslo, they have theese costumes for special events
Scanpix/UiO/DN

I think M-M looks so incredibly beautiful in these pics. So relaxed and likeable!

An article from Se og Hør online

As I have said before - not the most reliable source of royal information - but it's what we got in Norway... Also from my point of view really poor journalism, but what the hey...:D (My translation)

The Crown Princely couple is going to Canada

Baptism of fire for Mette-Marit

The Crown Princess gets her big baptism of fire in August. Then she will go on a UN mission for the AIDS cause.

Mette-Marits big baptism of fire...
Norways young Crown Princess gets her first big mission as a UN special worker for the AIDS cause when she in August participates in a big international AIDS conference in Toronto in Canada, where one according to the arrangers awaits a big flood of 20 000 participants from the whole world.

The conference starts the 13. of August and lasts untill the 18. of August. Crown Princess Mette-Marit will be joined by her husband Crown Prince Haakon on her journey – and the two of them will be at several lectures, meetings and “workshops”. Mette-Marit will also give at least one speech during the conference...

Amongst the other known participants at the conference – according to the arrangers - one will find the two former presidents Bill Clinton and Mary Robinson, and Bill Gates and Richard Gere.

Mette-Marit have so far shown a greater interest for the poorest. But now it is her role as a special worker for the AIDS cause which is in focus.

http://www.seher.no/cm/SeHer/Kongelige/Norske+kongehus/1.89678

My comment: I thought that the AIDS cause and the the poorest in the world to some extent is linked together. So CP Mette-Marit wouldn't loose focus on that, just broaden it.

It sounds like this AIDS conference will really be a big event for Mette-Marit. A speech at a major North American conference, and a chance to work with people like Bill Clinton. I'm looking forward to seeing her at this conference.

Call me a "Kill Joy" but IMO its a bit premature for her to give a speech at such a conference, she is very new to this theme. She took some basic clases in 2002, has made a few Aids related engaments in Norway and one working trip abroad to Malawi. I dont see how she could have much to talk about that people who attends this conference does not already know, many of them will have been working and studying this for years and years. I dont mind her attedning it though as Im sure its quite educational.

Larzen said:
Call me a "Kill Joy" but IMO its a bit premature for her to give a speech at such a conference, she is very new to this theme. She took some basic clases in 2002, has made a few Aids related engaments in Norway and one working trip abroad to Malawi. I dont see how she could have much to talk about that people who attends this conference does not already know, many of them will have been working and studying this for years and years. I dont mind her attedning it though as Im sure its quite educational.

I guess she could relay some of her personal experiences or anecdotes from her trip to Malawi. I would hope that she wouldn't attempt to be "telling" others in attendance how to deal with this situation or whatever, as I agree that she's not experienced or informed enough to take that approach. But personal stories would be the way to go if she has to make a speech.

It'll be interesting to see what topic her speech covers. There are so many different workshops, her speech could be on any number of topics.

Larzen said:

I believe she will give a speech not because she is so great in this field but because of her status as a sort of celebrity. This will give the topic and the conference some welcome press coverage. Think of CP Mary - she also gave a speech at some heart disease conference without being an expert either. I suppose MM will give an earnest little speech on humanitarian duties etc. and would everybody please help to solve the problem.

it's great that mette marit is getting involved in such an important cause. this is what really counts to me. cutting ribbons, inagurating centres... it doesn't take that much involvement and won't really help much, but this in entirely good, in every aspect. there are many royals who are really hands on with these kind of things and i'm very happy mette marit found her cause.

does anyone know of any online video where we can hear mette marit speaking english? i really would love to hear her...

http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/indeks/61620
she speakes a little english a few places in this clip, its from Geneva

Smilla said:
I believe she will give a speech not because she is so great in this field but because of her status as a sort of celebrity. This will give the topic and the conference some welcome press coverage. Think of CP Mary - she also gave a speech at some heart disease conference without being an expert either. I suppose MM will give an earnest little speech on humanitarian duties etc. and would everybody please help to solve the problem
Im sure you are right, but my point is that I personally think that it would be better for her to do some more work for the AIDS cause in Norway before going abroad, she has not been that involved with it so far IMO. Even if Norway is a very open and educated country there is still alot of stigma and prejudice around AIDS which she could work for to get more directly involved, and then she might have a little more credibility when going abroad. Just my oppinion.

As for press coverage, let us see, Richard Gere, Bill Clinton, Bill Gates vs. Princess whats her name;) she might be a nobody in the America but in NOrway everyone knows who she is, and IMO the work in Norway should be most important. Not that I think it is a bad idea to go to this conference, on the contrary, I just hope it will be followed by some more hands on, less "glam" work in Norway. Well, not that it matter what I think anyway;)

Last edited:
Larzen said:
http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/indeks/61620
she speakes a little english a few places in this clip, its from Geneva

Im sure you are right, but my point is that I personally think that it would be better for her to do some more work for the AIDS cause in Norway before going abroad, she has not been that involved with it so far IMO. Even if Norway is a very open and educated country there is still alot of stigma and prejudice around AIDS which she could work for to get more directly involved, and then she might have a little more credibility when going abroad. Just my oppinion.

As for press coverage, let us see, Richard Gere, Bill Clinton, Bill Gates vs. Princess whats her name;) she might be a nobody in the America but in NOrway everyone knows who she is, and IMO the work in Norway should be most important. Not that I think it is a bad idea to go to this conference, on the contrary, I just hope it will be followed by some more hands on, less "glam" work in Norway. Well, not that it matter what I think anyway;)
I think that going to this conference is a great way to learn more about the subject - but like you, I'm unsure about her giving a speech on it.

thanks for the link, larzen! i just had a problem: when it started playing it said ready, but never started... is there something wrong? do you have problems when watching it?

i actually like that she attends these kind of events. i think it's a great opportunity for her to know the subject.

it's also true, though that her presence in norway would be much more recognised... but i doubt her presence in some kind of event to raise awareness about aids and prejudices will help much... a trip to an affected country, such as malawi, would be an interesting and really hands on event, imo.

About making a speech.

I must say I disagree with the view that CP Mette Marit shouldn't make a speech at the aids conference.
The fact that she is pretty new to this board doesn't exclude her from saying a few words, on the contrary, and I am sure she is NOT going to lecture anyone, that is not what people do from platform at a convension.
I am sure she has been studying the subject beyond the few public apperences she has participated in and I am also sure that she will have asked/worked with more experienced people in deciding what to talk about.

Well, here is a perfect opportunity for Mette-Marit to earn some respect and credibility in her chosen field, IF her speech is
1. thoroughly researched (important for no.4)
2. of substance
3. contains some of her own ideas
4. followed up by a question and answer session.

This would be much more difficult to do than to give a say-nothing fluff speech and walk off the stage unchallenged, but that is how you earn respect and credibility. It would also require a high degree of preparedness and dedication that I don't think Mette-Marit is capable of.

sylla said:
This would be much more difficult to do than to give a say-nothing fluff speech and walk off the stage unchallenged, but that is how you earn respect and credibility. It would also require a high degree of preparedness and dedication that I don't think Mette-Marit is capable of.

Why do you think she isn't capable of preparedness and dedication?

sylla said:
Well, here is a perfect opportunity for Mette-Marit to earn some respect and credibility in her chosen field, IF her speech is
1. thoroughly researched (important for no.4)
2. of substance
3. contains some of her own ideas
4. followed up by a question and answer session.

I don't really know what is expected of Mette-Marit when she attends this conference, but I doubt that she will be relied on as an expert in the field of AIDS and that anyone there will expect her to pull out some revolutionary solution to halt the AIDS epidemic. There will be medical experts, scientists and the like who have spent years, decades even of studying HIV and AIDS who will be able to provide information that Mette-Marit would not be able to, as she shouldn't since she isn't a doctor, a scientist or a medical researcher.

As far as one can be when one has been focused on a subject for the last three or four years, and for whom the subject of AIDS isn't a full time focus but a priority or focused cause among her other patronages, I think Mette-Marit is dedicated to this issue.

I think most likely, Mette-Marit's reason for being present at this conference is to learn more about AIDS, the various medical options and treatments available, and to hear other people's stories about what it is to be close to the ground on this topic. And in turn, I think Mette-Marit will be able to offer a humanistic point of view on the subject, and if that's the case, then I think speaking from the heart is the best approach she can take. And I think she can do that well.

Here is the link to the conference. I couldn't find any specific information on Mette-Marit however. http://www.aids2006.org/subpage.aspx?pageId=280

If you look at the website the conference focuses on Science, Leadership and Community. Norway is the second largest contributor to UNAIDS. They should have strong repersentation and be held (along with the Netherlands who is number 1) as an example to all other countries. Having a title is going to get her attention and she is using it well. Specifically in the area of Leadership and Community she can speak on behalf or as part of the Norwegian delgation.

Mette-Marit in my opinon would not take something like this lightly. She seems to be committed to educating herself. Besides she is not going to show up at a major international conference repersenting Norway underprepared.

Photoshoot of Haakon's 31st birthday

I was looking at the official site and this caught my eye but I can't get the link to open. Is this referring to the conference or a different trip to Canada (crosses fingers and hopes someone is coming to Ottawa)

ETA Nevermind got the link to work, it's Toronto.

An article about other luminaries taking part in the AIDS conference that Mette-Marit will be attending.

Alicia Keys headlining Canada AIDS benefit

TORONTO - A star-studded lineup that includes Richard Gere, Alicia Keys and the Barenaked Ladies will kick off the opening ceremonies for next month's International AIDS Conference in Toronto.

Here is the relevant part about Mette-Marit:
Other major participants slated to attend the Aug. 13-18 conference include former U.S. president Bill Clinton and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway, who is a UNAIDS special representative.

Source: Yahoo News

It seems that Mette-Marit is getting a lot of international attention for this event. Any mention I've read of this convention mentions Bill Clinton in the same breath as Mette-Marit!

I have to say that Toronto is quite a buzz about it, too. Many aspects of the city are involved in this event. I am the art editor at a magazine in the city and many of the art directors in the city know of my support for photojournalism. I was contacted to cover and attend a photo exhibit of AIDS victims in Africa. It's the only event I'm going to connected to this event -- I hope Mette-Marit goes to it so that I can meet her!

At the AIDS conference will Haakon be attending all of the workshops, sessions, etc. with Mette-Marit? Obviously, the conference is in connection with Mette-Marit's role with UNAIDS but since Haakon is there, it will be interesting to see whether he attends everything with Mette-Marit.

UNIFEM and UNDP (which Haakon works for) are also incharge of some of the sessions on the program. One of the sessions will be headed by Former bishop of Oslo Gunnar Stålsett, and is called - building new leaders, so I guess they will both be there for that one, as they are very close to him. Gunnar Stålsett (on the page even titled His Grace:cool: ) is Co-chair of the Leadership Programme Comittee

On this page one can see what role other UNAIDS special representatives like Mary Fisher and Naomi Watts (both considerable more known but anyway) had at such a somewhat similar meeting in New York some moths ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several posts have been moved to this newly created thread where you can post news, articles, pictures and comments about Haakon's and Mette-Mette's attendence at the seminar. Information about the conference is also welcome.

Happy posting!

Sounds like an amazing gathering, wonderful for Toronto, and ofcourse its great to have the cp couple coming to the city.
We do get flocks of celebrities but not much royalty.

Benefit concert to open XVI International AIDS Conference in Toronto, Canada

TORONTO, July 24 /CNW/ - The week-long XVI International AIDS Conference
(AIDS 2006) will kick off with a major opening concert on Sunday evening, August 13, 2006 at the Rogers Centre in downtown Toronto. The concert event, Time to Deliver - The AIDS 2006 Concert, will feature a lineup of star performers, dignitaries and leaders, and is being co-presented by the Canadian Foundation for AIDS Research (CANFAR) and the Nelson Mandela Children's Fund Canada (NMCFC)......The concert will immediately follow the official opening proceedings.
The opening proceedings will include welcome remarks by Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaelle Jean, Governor General of Canada, The Honourable Dalton McGuinty, Premier of Ontario and His Worship David Miller, Mayor of Toronto; as well as remarks by Frika Chia Iskandar, a young Indonesian woman living with HIV/AIDS; and UNAIDS Executive Director Dr. Peter Piot. The opening will conclude with a keynote address by Bill and Melinda Gates, Co-Chairs of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation...

Other major participants attending the conference include former Presidents Mary Robinson and Bill Clinton, HRH Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway, who is a UNAIDS Special Representative, and actors Richard Gere and Olympia Dukakis.
The conference is organized around three components: science, community, and leadership. The programme will offer over 400 sessions, meetings and workshops featuring important scientific advances and discussion of current policy issues among political, scientific and community leaders and others on the frontlines of the epidemi
read more
http://www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/archive/July2006/24/c8651.html
Thanks to Netty:flowers:

kwanfan said:
Looking through the website for the conference, I think another event we know Mette-Marit will attend during the week will be the awarding of the Red Ribbon Award on Wednesday the 16th. She is a member of the jury for the award. http://www.redribbonaward.org/php/co...hp?page=jury#1
.....The Red Ribbon Award represents a partnership initiative between UNDP, UNAIDS, Community and Leadership Program Committees of the International AIDS Conference 2006 and the governments of Canada, Norway, Austria, Finland and Ireland. Other partners include: Care International and UNESCO.
http://www.redribbonaward.org/index.php

The thread for the visit to Geneva
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f47/mette-marits-visit-switzerland-april-25-26-a-9492.html?highlight=geneva

Aftenposten has an article about the trip, according to that both Haakon and Mette-Marit is among the speakers, and the former bishop of Oslo Gunnar Stålsett has a major role, and then alot of bla-bla, nothing new.
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1419259.ece

The homepage of the conferenace will provide HQ photos from the events
http://www.aids2006.org/subpage.aspx?pageId=471

The opening session can be seen online, it starts 19.00 local time 13 august
http://www.aids2006.org/mainpage.aspx?pageId=110

world clock
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

On Aug. 13, about 24,000 of those soldiers - researchers, doctors and nurses, human rights advocates, politicians, philanthropists and even celebrities - will gather in Toronto for the six-day International AIDS Conference, the largest in the now-biennial meeting's 21-year history.....
http://www.cbc.ca/cp/health/060805/x080506.html

spc491bder8.jpg

Sandra Oh, left, and Olympia Dukakis cut the ribbon on the AIDS statue to launch the XVI International AIDS Conference on Saturday, Aug. 12, 2006 in Toronto. Thousands of AIDS experts, activists and politicians streamed into Toronto on Saturday for the world's largest conference devoted to combating the disease _ many of them determined to speak for the world's 2.3 million infected children who are often forgotten. (AP PHOTO/CP, Nathan Denette)

Last edited:
http://www.rediff.com/news/2006/aug/05aids.htm

This article lists Mette-Marit as a keynote speaker. If this is true, I hope it will be televised (or at least available on the net somewhere). Being a keynote speaker at an event this huge is a Big Deal. I am surprised that it does not appear that Stephanie of Monaco will be at this event since she is also an AIDS Activist. Or perhaps her activism is on a different scale than Mette-Marit.

Does anyone know, when Mette-Marit and Haakon are speaking, they are both listed under bios for major speakers, and does anyone know specifically what they are talking about ?

The official media sponsers are
CBC (TV/RADIO) www.cbc.ca
Globe and Mail (Newspaper) www.globeandmail.com

Last edited:
sylla said:
http://www.rediff.com/news/2006/aug/05aids.htm

This article lists Mette-Marit as a keynote speaker. If this is true, I hope it will be televised (or at least available on the net somewhere). Being a keynote speaker at an event this huge is a Big Deal. I am surprised that it does not appear that Stephanie of Monaco will be at this event since she is also an AIDS Activist. Or perhaps her activism is on a different scale than Mette-Marit.
On the website for the conference www.aids2006.org it says there will be a live webcast of the opening session on Sunday. Also, since President Clinton will be involved I think we will probably see fairly good coverage in the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom