International AIDS Conference in Toronto, Canada: August 13 -18, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like that white suit! It's very simple yet elegant. It doesn't draw the attention away from the cause she's working for, imo. :flowers:

Haakon and Mette-Marit hosted a reception, here they are with UNAIDS director Peter Piot

(Kallestad)
Edit to Add, from the UNAIDS homepage
2006081503h3nj5.jpg

UNAIDS Special Representative, Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway, launched the book “If I kept it to myself”– a collection of personal stories of 26 women living with HIV – on Tuesday 15 August.

The book, which is a joint publication between the UNAIDS initiative, Global Coalition on Women and AIDS, and the World YWCA, tells the very personal stories of 26 women living with HIV– their ups and downs and above all their strong commitment to make a change in a world with HIV and AIDS.
http://www.unaids.org/en/Conferences/AIDS2006/20060815-ywca.asp

Edit to add even more
my translation from VG article
A small interview taken during the reception

- I have travelled around the world now, and when I come home I see how important it is to do something with what I have experienced and communicate to others that very difficult situation that affects so many women

She has taken part is many seminars and discussions on the conference but also met with interest groups and people living with HIV-AIDS, and talked with them about their vulnerable position

- It`s important for me to emphasize that for many women the biggest risk of getting HIV is to get married. It says a lot about the reality that many women in the world faces. It affects me and it does something to you, and has given me the wish to work further with these issues.

She points to the meeting with HIV positive women as the most important experience in Toronto

- You run for all the big words when you hear definite stories on how HIV positive women lead their lives, and about the reality they face everyday.
……
- We Started out humanitarian foundation when we got married and decided to focus on youth, health and education. When you start working with health then AIDS promptly becomes and issue. One f the things that hit me the hardest when visiting Malawi was how lucky I am to have the freedom to take my own decisions, the visit to Malawi definitely made me personally engaged in AIDS

Haakon:
- We can help put the thematic on the agenda. It is important to talk about these issues and be conscious about how to do an active effort in the work that is needed in the HIV/AIDS battle

- I think it is important to focus on that everyone can do something. I can do something as Crown Princess, and the Norwegian people can do something as enthusiastic/passionate citizens
Scanpix pictures via VG
aaaaafq4.jpg
aaafk2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the link and the pictures!
I agree with you when you say that Mette-Marit speaks English very well, although she did stumble over a few words now and then, that may have just been nerves, but many people who speak English as their mother-tongue do that while public speaking. I think that her accent is very unique, I've never heard anything like it, it sort of sounds American, then there's Norwegian added to it, plus something else, and I like it! Her speech also had a good substance, I thought it was very relevant to the whole overall conference

I thought her speech was very good as well. I am surprised that she isn't getting more media attention, because she was one of the big names that the Canadian media kept talking about (Gates, Clinton, Lewis, Gere, Mette-Marit)

I was wondering with her speech though if some of her remarks were being written earlier in the day, since she was asked to give the conculding remarks. May account for some of the nervousness.

A few years ago Haakon went on a trip to an African country (I am not sure of what one) There was a picture of him taking part in a safe sex presentation. I went through there old threads and wasn't able to find it, does anyone know where I could ?

Oppie said:
I thought her speech was very good as well. I am surprised that she isn't getting more media attention, because she was one of the big names that the Canadian media kept talking about (Gates, Clinton, Lewis, Gere, Mette-Marit)
Compared to them she is like salt in the sea, Mette-who? Even the Norwegian national broadcaster focuses more on Clinton and Gates I would say. But I guess it looked good to have a Princess as part of the promotion of the conferances. She has her limitations, both orally, but also what she can and cannot say, Clinton and Gates can be more politcal and hence more interesting, and both of them, especially Clinton, are outstanding speakers.
Oppie said:
A few years ago Haakon went on a trip to an African country (I am not sure of what one) There was a picture of him taking part in a safe sex presentation. I went through there old threads and wasn't able to find it, does anyone know where I could ?
http://www.undp.no/list.asp?Category_Id=Goodwill ;)

Their Royal Highnesses Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway hosted a reception in connection with the XVI International AIDS Conference in Toronto. The guest list represented a variety of people from all walks of life all with the common goal to make a difference in the AIDS response. HRH Crown Princess is very engaged in AIDS advocacy and works with UNAIDS as a Special Representative.

Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway welcome Dr Peter Piot (right) Executive Director UNAIDS to a reception at the Granite club at the XVI International AIDS Conference in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on August 15, 2006.
UNAIDS/J.Ross

Last edited:
I can't but agree with you all and say that Mette-Marit's English is indeed incredibly good, I'm really surprised! And her speech was good, but maybe now that she's so secure in her English and has found her role in her home country - she could get some speech training? I think that would be a great idea.

Compared to them she is like salt in the sea, Mette-who? Even the Norwegian national broadcaster focuses more on Clinton and Gates I would say. But I guess it looked good to have a Princess as part of the promotion of the conferances. She has her limitations, both orally, but also what she can and cannot say, Clinton and Gates can be more politcal and hence more interesting, and both of them, especially Clinton, are outstanding speakers

Sorry I didn't word that well, they have showed her alot in the promo's for the conference (there is one that has all there faces swrilling and then there names) and on the cover of The Toronto Star (on page one of this thread) but they haven't shown (at least what I have seen) what she is doing in at the conference. Plus the the Governor General speech started of Your Royal Highnesses (followed by Primer, Your Worship ect. ) so it would be nice if they would show what they are doing at the conference.

Anyways these two are awesome, picture one in this article says it all http://www.undp.no/article.asp?Article_id=2107&Category_Id=Goodwill

Thanks for the link Larzen :flowers:

Larzen said:
Press on the link in the "lyd og video" box and there is a summary of yesterday and a small snippet of her speech
http://nrk.no/nyheter/innenriks/kongehuset/1.842008
Larzen, thank you for the link of Mette-Marit's speech.
I agree with everyone's opinion. Her english is definitely great, somehow has a british accent.. I think right now she's very at ease with her role and really enjoy getting involve with the HIV/AIDS problem. Hopefully she'll continue to participate actively!

Here's what i can get from Mette-Marit's speech from Larzen's nrk video link... they're quite powerful words..
It is unacceptable that young girls are 6 times more vulnerable than their peer boys
It is unacceptable that women are made vulnerable though sexual abuse, domestic violance or hard cruel (?) traditional practices

I think she did a fantastic job. Her english was very good. Most people in my country, who this is their only language, can't speak as elegently as she did.
I think she is a marvelous person.

I like her so much! This is a very responsible work to do.... I hope she engages in AIDS programmes for a long time. It is so alarming that numbers increase.. even in the first world. It is good to have a lot of people who can , because of therer celebrity-status, draw attention to these concerns.

and.. bey the way.. she looks gorgeous!!

Rebafan81 said:
I think she did a fantastic job. Her english was very good. Most people in my country, who this is their only language, can't speak as elegently as she did.
I think she is a marvelous person.
You are quite right. There are many in American whose grammer and pronunciation is not even half that of MM. She did a fantastic job for a very worthy cause. And just as a side note, during some of her presentation, she sounds quite British, but during some of it, she sounds very west-coast American.

I have to say, even thou i'm quite disappointed with this conference, what with the over celebetization of an issue that affects millions of people, with little representation from experts coming from affected countries. I nevertheless, enjoyed Mette Merit speech, it was well presented and she came across as an informed person.

The Crown Princess spent a year as an exchange student in Australia when she was a high school student at a town called Wangaratta, thus accounting for her Australian English accent.

Aussiefan said:
The Crown Princess spent a year as an exchange student in Australia when she was a high school student at a town called Wangaratta, thus accounting for her Australian English accent.

She only spent 6 months in Australia, her accent is definitely not Australian!

It's a very neutral accent, neither American, British nor Scandinavian lilt. She spoke quite well at the conference.

Haakon and Mette-Marit at the arrangment called Kicking AIDS out
Kicking AIDS Out! promotes the use of sport as a tool for development. Sports & physical activities are used to build awareness about HIV/AIDS through educational games and activities which encourage peers to discuss issues that affect their lives and their communities. Programmes implemented by member organisations integrate sport skills and life skills through movement games, role plays, drama and other cultural and recreational activities. Central to success and sustainability is capacity building. Kicking AIDS Out develops programs to train coaches, trainers and leaders, building capacity at the individual, organizational and community level.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]First time ever at an international AIDS conference sport is tabled at the program. The international Kicking AIDS Out network is represented by youth from Africa and Canada, partners from Vietnam, UK and Norway[/FONT]

Wednesday August 16 at 10h00-16h00: Youth of Toronto will have the opportunity to experience a circut of sports, Kicking AIDS Out movement activities and exciting traditional African games that will introduce them to the concept using sport as a vehicle to fight HIV and AIDS. The all-day festival will demonstrate the effectiveness of the "youth to youth" appraoch to health, life skills, leadership and HIV/AIDS education. At 15h15 the Theirs Royal Highnesses Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway will visit the Kicking AIDS Out festival.
from http://www.kickingaidsout.net/

scanpix-ap

Handing out the red ribbon award to the network group from Zimbabve called "Girl child" who seems to be delighted:lol:

Scanpix, aftenposten, VG​

Last edited:
From the UNAIDS homepage
http://www.unaids.org/en/Conferences/AIDS2006/20060816-toronto.asp

Left to right): Michel Sidibe, UNAIDS Director of Country and Regional Support, His Royal Highness Crown Prince Haakon of Norway, Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway, and Dr Peter Piot Executive Director UNAIDS pose for a photograph at the University of Toronto for the Red Ribbon Awards gala reception on August 16, 2006.

20060816-56.jpg

(Left to right): His Royal Highness Crown Prince Haakon of Norway and Dr Peter Piot Executive Director UNAIDS pose for a photograph at the University of Toronto for the Red Ribbon Awards gala reception at the XVI International AIDS Conference in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on August 16, 2006.

20060816-55.jpg

Credit UNAIDS/J.Ross

aftenposten has an NTB article with bits of her speech, in norwegian
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1424627.ece

Haakon and Mette-Marit talk to the press. It does not seem like the press has access to all of the sessions and talks that are taking place, the pictures seems to be mostly from other events

Day 2 Reception

From Day 1
First pic with Bishop Gunnar Stålsett, pic 2 with Josee Werner, Minister of International Cooperation in Canada

Scanpix via fvn/adressa/NRK

Haakon and Mette-Marit left from Toronto Thursday night​

Last edited:
a HQ picture of Mette-Marit presenting the Red Ribbon Award (from hola)

About he book launch from UNAIDS webiste

HIV and AIDS Coordinator for the World YWCA, Sophie Dilmitis has written a Diary from the AIDS congress called Sophies Diary, here is an entry on the book launch:

Constance Shumba, Zimbabwe.
24 year old Constance works for YWCA Africa campaigning for effective ARV treatment support for child headed families and orphans. Here she shares her personal account of a memorable day and the launch of "If I kept it to myself" by UNAIDS Special Representative HRH Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway.

“After the launch of our book “If I kept it to myself”, we the young women who share our personal stories in the book, had the wonderful opportunity to have an intimate discussion with Her Royal Highness.

She asked us about our experiences and what more could be done to improve the lives of HIV positive women.
The Crown Princess said “It is amazing to note that despite the fact that we are from different countries, our problems are similar when it comes to HIV and AIDS.” She commended us and thanked us for being courageous and speaking out about HIV and AIDS and for doing the work that we are doing.
The Crown Princess shared information on the work of her foundation and her appointment as a UNAIDS Special Representative with an emphasis on the issue of stigma and HIV.
Her Royal Highness has been engaged in HIV and AIDS issues for some time and recognizes that as a role model she can generate attention and support for young people living with and affected by HIV.
Meeting with Her Royal Highness was very exciting for me and an experience that I will take home with me to Zimbabwe and will remember for a long time to come.
Our discussion was rich and empowering and ended with us all thanking Her Royal Highness in our native languages.
I wish her strength and courage as she begins her work in HIV and AIDS and I hope that she will become a great advocate for young women’s issues.”
Her whole diary
http://www.worldywca.info/index.php/ywca/world_ywca/ywca_news/world_ywca_news__1/sophi_daily
http://www.unaids.org/en/Conferences/AIDS2006/20060815-ywca.asp

All of UNÀIDS information on the conference on this page
http://www.unaids.org/en/Conferences/AIDS2006/default.asp

Back
Top Bottom