Ingrid´s Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who will be Ingrid´s royal godparent????

• King Harald

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Queen Sonja

• Princess Märtha Louise

• Prince Constantijn

• Prince Willem-Alexander

• Princess Maxima

• Prince Frederik

• future Princess Mary

• Princess Alexandra of Denmark

• Princess Victoria

• Countess Alexandra of Berleburg

• Prince Charles

• Prince Edward

• Countess Sophie

• a member from a different royal familie

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

liv

Courtier
Country
Germany
Who will be Ingrid´s godparents????

The reasons for these names:

-King Harald and Queen Sonja because they are her grandparents

-Märtha-Louise is her aunt and Haakon is also godfather to Maud Angelica

-Prince Constantijn:Haakon is godfather to Constantijn´s daughter Eloise

-Willem-Alexander: is the future King of the Nethrlands and usually future King/Queens have King/Queen as their godparent,like Haakon:Queen Magarethe/King Carl Gustaf

-Princess Maxima:future Queen, perhaps as a godmother,would be lovely because she´s not of royal blood,would show that she´s accepted in Europe´s royal houses

-Prince Frederik: future King,best man of Haakon at his wedding,Magarethe is godmother to Haakon,perhaps Frederik to Ingrid????

-Mary: future Queen, perhaps as a godmother,would be lovely because she´s not of royal blood,would show that she´s accepted in Europe´s royal houses

-Princess Alexandra:from Denmark so a good relationship to Norway and she´s also callled Alexandra

-Princess Victoria: future Queen , her father id godfather to Haakon,close friend of Haakon and Mette-Marit

-Countess Alexandra of Berleburg: she´s named Alexandra and her newly-born daughter´s name is also Ingrid

-Prince Charles: future King,same religion???

- Prince Edward and Countess Sophie:During their stay in London Mette-Marit and Haakon were very often present at their home and they were going out in London together

Take a decision!!! :p

Either King Harald, or Queen Sonja, or both of them.

But most of the names on your list are viable options so it's a very well put together list, Liv. Nicely done.

Since one of her names is Alexandra I think it would be nice if Willem-Alexander was one.

I doubt that Mary will be Godmother, as the baptism will take place before the wedding. And neither Haakon, nor Mette-Marit seems to know her that well yet. But either Frederik or Victoria, or both of them... ;)

I don't think Maxima, Mary or Sophie will be chosen as godparents. Mary for the good reason norwegianne cited, but also because individuals who marry into royal families are rarely chosen because they could possibly divorce 'out' of the royal family and may not be 'royal' anymore. (Although Princess Diana is the godmother of Prince Phillippos of Greece, so that deflates my theory! But for the most part I think this is true.)

And Countess Alexandra of Berleburg is actually Princess Alexandra, though her husband is a Count and her children are such, too.

I doubt that Princess Alexandra of Berleburg will be made Godmother, as she's already the Godmother of Maud Angelica.

It's rather difficult to vote because there are several of those that I can see as being godparents. I can see them choosing Frederik, Martha Louise, and King Harald all at the same time.

Originally posted by samitude@Jan 23rd, 2004 - 10:14 am
It's rather difficult to vote because there are several of those that I can see as being godparents. I can see them choosing Frederik, Martha Louise, and King Harald all at the same time.
I think it´s going to be :
CP Frederik of Denmark
CP Willem-Alexander of Holland
CP Victoria of Sweden
Princesse Martha Louise of Norway
Prince William of GB
CP Pavlos of Greece
and CP Felipe of Spain.
Juste like the baptisem of the first child from CP Pavlos and his wif of Greece.

I think that there will be a lot of godparents for the little Ingrid, but I have take a decision.... :rolleyes:

Godfather: CP Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, because his name is Alexander => female version: Alexandra

Godmother: Princess Märtha Louise of Norway, because she is the sister of Haakon and Haakon is godfather to Maud Angelica.

But of course the other Royals are also allowed to become godparent... :brows:

Is Pavlos allowed to become godfather because he´s orthodox...

And Prince Felipe is catholic,so I don´t think he can be grandfather,or????

How many godparents do Norwegian royals usually get?

It is not uncommon with the Greeks and Danes to give their children 4-6 godparents. But in Spain, 2 godparents is the norm.

What is the norm for the Norwegian royals?

Do you think that they would really choose the Grandparents? Is that the norm? I think that they will choose Crown Prince Frederik (because he and Haakon seem like close friends, Frederik was his best man and all) and also Crown Princess Victoria, just because I think so. Or else maybe another member of a royal family who is not a Crown Prince(ss), like Prince Constantijn of The Netherlands, isn't Haakon one of Eloise's godparents?

I believe that King Olav, King Harald's father, was a godparent to Princess Martha Louise or Haakon. I'm not certain.

In Spain, King Juan Carlos is the godfather of Elena's son Froilan, and his paternal grandmother is his godmother.

Ok, maybe they would choose the grandparents then. :blush:

King Haakon and Queen Maud were the godparents of all their three grandchildren, and King Olav was the same. King Harald is one of Maud Angelica's.

In Norway you have to have at least two, and I think there's a max limit of six (although I'm not really sure of the latter)

It's a pretty strong bet that Crown Princess Victoria or Crown Prince Frederik, or both for that matter, will be asked to be Ingrid Alexandra's godparents. As King Carl Gustav and Queen Margrethe are both godparents of Crown Prince Haakon, I doubt they will be asked to repeat the honour with his daughter.

Princess Anne of Great-Britain is one of Crown prince Haakon's godmothers. Making her older brother Prince Charles godfather of Haakon's daughter would seem strange, to me at least, but *shrugs* what do I know. I would enjoy seeing Prince William as Ingrid's godfather, but Crown prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit haven't spent as much time with him as they have with Prince Charles, or Prince Edward.

Torkel posted something about the Godparents of the Norwegian Royals at this thread: http://www.lestribunesroyales.com/forums/i...opic=4264&st=20

Märtha has "commoners" as godparents, as have Maud Angelica, but Princess Astrid, Princess Ragnhild, King Harald and Crown Prince Haakon only have royal godparents.

Originally posted by samitude@Jan 23rd, 2004 - 2:12 pm
I believe that King Olav, King Harald's father, was a godparent to Princess Martha Louise or Haakon. I'm not certain.
King Olav was the godfather of both of them.

im sure!

its hard to choose by their polls!

i vote Earl of Wessex because Haakon and M-M intives Earl and Countess of Wessex to wedding in 2001 nears 3 years and also again Earl and Countess of Wessex attend Princess Martha-Louise's wedding in 2002 because Haakon knew of Prince Edward since his parents who celebrations of 25th years of marriages.

Sara Boyce

Originally posted by liv@Jan 23rd, 2004 - 11:19 am
Is Pavlos allowed to become godfather because he´s orthodox...

And Prince Felipe is catholic,so I don´t think he can be grandfather,or????

Sorry to ask you liv.
But are Felipe grandfarther to the new princesse of Norway ???????
:p :p :p :p :flower: :flower: B) B) ;) ;) ;)

Originally posted by norwegianne@Jan 23rd, 2004 - 10:21 am

But most of the names on your list are viable options so it's a very well put together list, Liv. Nicely done.

Since one of her names is Alexandra I think it would be nice if Willem-Alexander was one.

I doubt that Mary will be Godmother, as the baptism will take place before the wedding. And neither Haakon, nor Mette-Marit seems to know her that well yet. But either Frederik or Victoria, or both of them... ;)
I'm wondering if Prince William (of the UK) may be called upon to be a godparent? The godparents of the first son of X - CP Pavlos and Marie Chantal of Greece included William, IMHO, to be among the "next tier" of the European "participating / reigning royal families". It sure would make sense if he is asked, at least. :unsure:

Elizajane

Originally posted by Elizajane+Jan 25th, 2004 - 9:24 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Elizajane @ Jan 25th, 2004 - 9:24 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-norwegianne@Jan 23rd, 2004 - 10:21 am

I'm wondering if Prince William (of the UK) may be called upon to be a godparent? The godparents of the first son of X - CP Pavlos and Marie Chantal of Greece included William, IMHO, to be among the "next tier" of the European "participating / reigning royal families". It sure would make sense if he is asked, at least. :unsure:

Elizajane [/b][/quote]
He might, but I don't think it's very likely. It has been his father, or uncle, who have been representing Great Britain on royal events in Norway.

I'd love it if he was asked. :heart: Because it would be nice to have one of the next generation as a Godfather.

VG thought that Queen Margrethe and King Carl Gustaf would, or Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Victoria would be at least some of the godparents. It makes sense since the Scandinavian royals are very close.

Just wait and see... lot of that going on: first we wait and wait for the baby, and then we wait and wait for the baptism.

:wacko:

I don't know if this has been answered yet, but how many godparents is Ingrid Alexandra expected to have? Just 2 or 4 or 6 or more?

According to the Norwegian church she must have at least two. I'm expecting she'll get six. Probably a large majority of them royals, if not all of them.

I voted for Prince Frederik of Denmark

because Prince Frederik best man is royal wedding for Mette-Marit and Hakoon

If you vote for "a member of another roal family" please add your ideas who will be Ingrid´s godparent... ;)

Originally posted by liv@Jan 23rd, 2004 - 7:49 am
Who will be Ingrid´s godparents????
I think they will pick Martha Louise, Frederik of Denmark, Victoria of Sweden and probably his parents & not sure about anyone else. :flower:

Yea...I agree with you people. These people are most likely in my opinion:
1) Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark (Haakon and he seem like good friends)
2) Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden
3) King Harald of Norway (Her grandfather and he is also a godfather of Maud Angelica, her cousin.)
4) Crown Prince Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands
5) Princess Martha Louise of Norway (She's Haakon's sister, they're close, and Haakon is one of Maud Angelica's godfathers)
Probably/Maybe these people too:
6) Kirstin Hoiby (Mette-Marit's sister)
7) Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex (Sophie and he were pretty chummy with Haakon and Mette-Marit)
8) (Princess) Alexandra, Countess von Pfeil
9) Marit ? (Mette-Marit's mom)
----There'll probably be a couple of Mette-Marit's close friends in this mix-----

I think Ingrid will get godparents with "Crown" before their titles because it seems like all the current "Crown Princes/ses" have had Crown Princes/ Princesses or Kings and Queens as godparents. In the event of Haakon and Mette-Marit passing away, I would say that Martha Louise would become guardian- it seems right.

Crown Prince Haakon in an interview yesterday told that they had not decided upon the date of the baptism, then added that it would probably be decided (and made official) in about two weeks. I am fairly certain it will be in late April, as that's one of the few available months (May being full of weddings).

As for godparents. Norwegian children often has many godparents. I don't know whether there's any limit, but Princess Märtha-Louise had 8 when she was baptised in 1971. I have never heard of any other Norwegians with that amount, four is the most usual number for ordinary Norwegians. The royals often have more though. Earlier royals in the UK, Sweden and Denmark often had more than 10 godparents.

Crown Prince Haakon (as heir) had only royal godparents. Princess Märtha-Louise had 4 royals and 4 commoners as godparents. Maud Angelica Behn had more commoners, but she's not royal and further from the throne.

My guess is that the new Princess will have 6 or 7 godparents, mostly royals but probably also some members of Crown Princess Mette-Marit's family. I think we can expect to see these people as godparents:
- King Harald (other Norwegian Kings were godparents to all their grandchildren, and this is the new heir)
- Marit Tjessem (Mette-Marit's mother, they seem to be very close)
- Princess Märtha-Louise (Haakon is fairly close to his sister, and he was godfather to her daughter)
- one of Mette-Marit's brothers, probably Espen Høiby who seems to be the one sibling she is closest to.
- Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark (a good friend of the couple; and a tradition in the Nordic royal houses to have the other heirs as godparents to the next generation, Harald is godfather to Frederik, Margrethe is godmother to Haakon)
- Crown Princess Victoria (ditto - she also seems to know the couple fairly good; Harald was her godfather, Carl Gustaf was godfather to Haakon)

I a more uncertain about other royal godparents. The Crown Prince and Crown Princess might chose one of the royal friends from their time in London. The most likely candidates are the Earl of Wessex or his wife Sophie, Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands or his wife Laurentien, Prince Nikolaos of Greece, Prince Kyril of Bulgaria or his wife Rosario. There has been a tradition in the Norwegian royal family to have one godparent from the British royal family. Crown Prince Haakon has the Princess Royal (Anne) as his godmother, but the two does not seem to be very close. They might ask Prince William of Wales, but that's rather unlikely as they barely know him. I believe the Earl of Wessex is the safest bet.

People have suggested other royals. I am quite certain they will not chose a Catholic godparent (thus no royals from Belgium, Luxembourg or Spain). Prince Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands has also been mentioned, but I think his younger brother is more likely because the couple knows him better. Other Danish royals have also been mentioned, but I am quite positive they will chose Crown Prince Frederik, and thus probably not another royal from Denmark.

When Prince Haakon was baptised in 1973 there were quite many royal guests. The King and Queen of the Belgians, Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess-Josephine of Luxemborg, royals from Sweden and Denmark. I don't expect to see that many senior royals this time, but they will probably invite more royals than those who will act as godparents.

Is Princess Anne really a godmother to haakon????
She wasn´t present at his wedding that´s not nice... :angry:

Godparents are not required to attend weddings ... The Lutheran church actually prefers the word "sponsor" rather than godparent, although the Norwegian church may use the term Godparent. The role of the sponsor is to provide Christian support - and make the godchild aware of being a Christian.

Anne did attend Haakon's confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom