Ingrid Alexandra's 18th birthday: 21 January, 2022 & birthday celebrations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A question for the Norwegian speaking posters: Is it normal that a politician addresses the guest of honor as "kjære", or is it because of the princess's royal status or age?

Probably more about age rather than anything else in this case. If the politician was addressing the king, I somewhat of doubt he would have done it.

King's speech: https://www-kongehuset-no.translate...=no&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Queen's speech: https://www-kongehuset-no.translate...=no&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it a bit over-acting when Letizia really avoids Norway for an Eva Sannum appearance back there in 2001.

Oh please..this sort of thing is where rags are made off...Nonsense!

Thank you Norwegian royal family! Ingrid Alexandra is as charming as she is beautiful. Resemblance to her grandmother is striking. I was bowled over by her completely American accent when speaking English, was she educated in the US? Such a treat to see All of the tiaras, especially on the three young women.

Elisabeth's tiara is possibly the one presented to her on her own 18th birthday by the noble families of Belgium (or something like that) I'm sure I read it could be used a necklace which this seems it could.
The young heirs all look good IMO, nice to see so many young people there for an 18th and not just older people.

I am so fond of the obvious beautiful and wonderful relationship to her royal grandfather, as well as the self esteem of the young Princess! It is such a joy to watch and hear her. The way she almost shouted at the end of her speech "Skol!" was just great and seemed even to surprise her father who, I remember, was pretty shy at his birthday Gala.

Seeing her new tiara I thought, what an irony and triumph of fate that she received an heirloom of a woman who was so vehemently against Ingrid´s parents union and, let´s face it, in consequence, wished Ingrid Alexandra preferebly would never had been born...!
This tiara looks sooooo much better on Princess Ingrids head than on the one of the hardly pretty Ragnhild...

About the royal ladies´s robes I would like to state what I found enjoyable and disappointing:
For this very special, almost historic night, I wished Queen Sonja had chosen a newer dress, not one which is 26 years old and has been worn on numberless occasions
The Crown Princess: Beautiful, but 12 years old dress and the usual uninspiring jewellery.
Crown Princess Mary of Denmark: very disappointing!
Crown Princess Victoria: breathtakingly beautiful dress! I am speechless, a real ballgown and worth for a future Queen.
Crown Princess Marie-Chantal, Greece: So elegant, most beautiful tiara tonight!

Last edited:
Seeing her new tiara I thought, what an irony and triumph of fate that she received an heirloom of a woman who was so vehemently against Ingrid´s parents union and, let´s face it, in consequence, wished Ingrid Alexandra preferebly would never had been born...!

Then perhaps it was not ironic, but either Princess Ragnhild's way of apologizing or Princess Ragnhild's way of ensuring the future Queen Regnant of Norway would be as regal and suitable as flipping possible. :cool: (Or both.)

I agree with you on the dresses except for CP Mary's dress. I feel she was trying to keep her dress and jewelery low key to not steal any spotlight.

I am so fond of the obvious beautiful and wonderful relationship to her royal grandfather, as well as the self esteem of the young Princess! It is such a joy to watch and hear her. The way she almost shouted at the end of her speech "Skol!" was just great and seemed even to surprise her father who, I remember, was pretty shy at his birthday Gala.

This tiara looks sooooo much better on Princess Ingrids head than on the one of the hardly pretty Ragnhild...

About the royal ladies´s robes I would like to state what I found enjoyable and disappointing:
For this very special, almost historic night, I wished Queen Sonja had chosen a newer dress, not one which is 26 years old and has been worn on numberless occasions
The Crown Princess: Beautiful, but 12 years old dress and the usual uninspiring jewellery.
Crown Princess Mary of Denmark: very disappointing!
Crown Princess Victoria: breathtakingly beautiful dress! I am speechless, a real ballgown and worth for a future Queen.
Crown Princess Marie-Chantal, Greece: So elegant, most beautiful tiara tonight!

On your last note,no,sorry...the honour for that goes to Queen Maxima.

Then perhaps it was not ironic, but either Princess Ragnhild's way of apologizing or Princess Ragnhild's way of ensuring the future Queen Regnant of Norway would be as regal and suitable as flipping possible. :cool: (Or both.)

Oh what is this? Did she not approve of MM and Haakon?

Many were against the marriage as MM was a single mother.

BTW I thought Queen Mathilde looked best of all the royals tonight (except the birthday girl)

Of course not. Nor Märtha and Ari, nor her own sister and Mr. Ferner. (And probably not Harald and Sonja, either.)

Even though she (somehow, we still don't know exactly) got what she wanted with her own marriage, Ragnhild was so displeased about being exiled to Brazil, she doesn't seem inclined to have supported anybody else. (Or she was just naturally very critical and didn't think people were good enough to become royals. Or both.)

Everyone looks lovely. I adore Crown Princess Mary's dress. I really looks like a water color painting on white canvas and the midnight tiara goes perfect with the dress! You don't always need to bling out for a gala occasion.

I also think Maxima looks great...red is good color! Love Victoria's dress! The kids are adorable as well.

Ingrid Alexandra seems like a very articulate, composed, lovely young lady.

Princess Ragnhild was a product of her time and upbringing. And for decades she did not live in Norway, where society has made unbelievable changes. (She lived in Brazil).

The idea that an unwed mother was a befitting partner for the future King of Norway, making him a stepfather to someone else's child born out of wedlock simply was not easy to get accustomed to, for the Princess.

Last edited:

Not a triumph of fate, but a triumph of Princess Ragnhild's personal wish that the tiara be given to Princess Ingrid Alexandra.

https://www.royalcourt.no/nyhet.html?tid=212476&sek=27262

One may disagree with her negative impression - as of 2004 - of Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby and Ari Behn's suitability to join the royal family, and even most of those who agree(d) with her still take issue with her decision to publicly express those opinions. But the late Princess certainly never expressed a wish that Princess Ingrid Alexandra had never been born. (If the two are equated, then following that logic, no royal consort who had a child could ever be criticized.)

If you would like to discuss this further, I suggest we move it to Princess Ragnhild's thread. https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...nd-family-news-and-picture-thread-1342-8.html

Last edited:
Elisabeth's tiara is possibly the one presented to her on her own 18th birthday by the noble families of Belgium (or something like that) I'm sure I read it could be used a necklace which this seems it could.

That would be quiet a big necklace

Everyone looks lovely. Especially the younger generation.

But i think Maxima and Marie Chantal should have gone for something more medium sized... They are not meant to be the stars of THIS show....

Catharina Amalia’s tiara is a beautiful tribute to her mother who’s first tiara it also was...

And i also really hope Elisabeth’s tiara is NOT just a loan...

Continuation of post 310:

I got so excited that I lost the track of the guests.

Marit Tjessem (Ingrid's ''mormor,'' meaning mother's mother) is now speaking.

----------------

The CP-Couple is next.

-----------------

Live-links in post 300.

------------------

This is getting very emotional!

CP MM is showing her tears as usual (LOVE her).

The VG-live-link in post 300 has stopped working, here is a new one (link).

The broadcasts has now ended but will be back on NRK later this evening.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that the Greeks and the Bulgarians are there in force. Some hopeful Royal matchmaking by the Norwegian royals?

Princess Ragnhild once gave an interview to a newspaper where she critisized Haakon’s and Märtha Louise’s choice of partners, and said that King Olav would never have accepted it...

Princess Ragnhild was born in 1930 and was very much a product of her time (= a lot of conservative views)... Way more than her siblings Princess Astrid and King Harald...
She also had very little understanding for how the mentality in Norway had changed during those 50 years since she moved to Brazil...

Please remain on topic of this thread. This is not about Princess Ragnhild and her opinions, further off-topic posts will be removed without notice.

How lovely to once again see a picture of all the royals together.

Th picture of the heirs is a real treat.

I saw Prince Daniel leaning back to check on Princess Estelle. He and Princess Marie-Chantal were both smiling and laughing, so I think Princess Estelle was having a ball. Was that one of Princess Martha Louise's daughters seated next to her?

I'm glad to see Princess Ingrid Alexandra's nonroyal grandmother (and godmother) included as one of the speechmakers.

[...] nor her own sister and Mr. Ferner.

Please see here for links to news reports and my question about the latter comment (I haven't ever heard of her criticizing her sister or Mr. Ferner): https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...ws-and-picture-thread-1342-8.html#post2475453

Last edited:
CP MM is showing her tears as usual (LOVE her).

This is one of the reasons I find her so endearing. I understand, at most, 10 words of Norwegian, but I was so emotional watching her speech just because she and Ingrid were so emotional. Its really lovely to see the obvious love and affection the entire NRF have for each other. I can't wait to read translations of the second set of speeches.

Ingrid Alexandra is stunning. I remember that first hospital picture of her as a newborn baby. My first thought was, "She's a beautiful baby!" Her eyes were open and she wasn't red or wrinkled. Just looks around like she was content with the world.

She is a classic beauty with the best complexion of any 18 year old girl I have ever seen.

And yes, depending on the angle I see traces of Haakon, Mette-Marit, and Queen Sonja in I-A's face.

A question for the Norwegian speaking posters: Is it normal that a politician addresses the guest of honor as "kjære", or is it because of the princess's royal status or age?

Watching the princess's speech, she is indeed extremely relaxed and comfortable as a public speaker.

Coming from the same cultural area.

I'd say it's a way to express sincerity in a less formal way and make it more personal. I.e. Ingrid Alexandra, the person. Rather than Ingrid Alexandra the princess.
Not least considering that this is a happy celebration and that Ingrid Alexandra is a young person.

Marie-Chantal is wearing Queen Sophie's big diamond tiara for the second time. I guess this means that it was not a loan, as some people assumed when she wore it the first time.

Elisabeth's new tiara makes me fear that the art deco bandeau is actually lost for the main line, and I really hate that thought.

The norm for Belgian queens has been to have two working tiaras for major events. Queen Paola had the Nine Provinces plus the Art Deco, while Queen Fabiola had the Nine Provinces plus her wedding gift tiara (with the Wolfers necklace set on a frame as an alternative for lesser events). King Philippe only needs to buy his wife a proper second diadem and she will be fine. It is unfortunate, however, that Mathilde could not inherit any of Queen Elisabeth's significant tiaras, i.e. neither the Cartier nor the Art Deco.

Marie-Chantal is wearing Queen Sophie's big diamond tiara for the second time. I guess this means that it was not a loan, as some people assumed when she wore it the first time.

Elisabeth's new tiara makes me fear that the art deco bandeau is actually lost for the main line, and I really hate that thought.

I am afraid too. What you could have such a tiara to Astrid and her daughters, weddinds aside? Elisabeth on the other hand is going to be a queen.
Anyway, let's hope it's just a momentary loan just to give Astrid more variety for the time being...

The norm for Belgian queens has been to have two working tiaras for major events. Queen Paola had the Nine Provinces plus the Art Deco, while Queen Fabiola had the Nine Provinces plus her wedding gift tiara (with the Wolfers necklace set on a frame as an alternative for lesser events). King Philippe only needs to buy his wife a proper second diadem and she will be fine. It is unfortunate, however, that Mathilde could not inherit any of Queen Elisabeth's significant tiaras, i.e. neither the Cartier nor the Art Deco.

Queen Fabiola also used the Spanish Wedding tiara which could be broken down into several different looks.

Mathilde has access to both the Nine Provinces Tiara and the Wolfers's Tiara that she inherited from Fabiola.

Back
Top Bottom