Ingrid Alexandra's 18th birthday: 21 January, 2022 & birthday celebrations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Duchess of Brabant's diadem has similarities with the diadem of Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg.

Marie-Chantal is wearing Queen Sophie's big diamond tiara for the second time. I guess this means that it was not a loan, as some people assumed when she wore it the first time.

Elisabeth's new tiara makes me fear that the art deco bandeau is actually lost for the main line, and I really hate that thought.

It would be interesting if Elisabeth was also wearing a tiara from their mutual Swedish great grandmother, Princess Ingeborg, as I assume not all her jewels ended in Norway, but, they probably would have been familiar to Belgian royal watchers and worn before?

I saw (I think) Morten Borg, Marius' father and Marius' brother Lucas and their stepbrother, Emanuel Maktabi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marie-Chantal is wearing Queen Sophie's big diamond tiara for the second time. I guess this means that it was not a loan, as some people assumed when she wore it the first time.

Elisabeth's new tiara makes me fear that the art deco bandeau is actually lost for the main line, and I really hate that thought.

Actually I like it that a mother gives her most important private jewel to her very only daughter, with equally loved granddaughters to her as the granddaughters by Laurent and Philippe.

Philippe can always purchase new ones, he gets plenty of annual state money. And Elisabeth will get plenty of annul state money herself. So I can understand an eventual decision to give it to her only and very beloved girl, Astrid.

That would be a shame. We will have to wait and see if maria Laura is also wearing on her Wedding Day. Lets hope the tiara Elisabeth wears today belongs to her and is not a loan as it quiet big and looks nice. I think it resembles a bit the Poltimore tiara.

Are Princess Astrids and Princess Ragnhilds family also attending?

It's lovely to see how many of the soldiers in the ceremonial guard are women.

I quite liked seeing that Storting president Masud Gharakhani was in a bunad.

Which orders are Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant and the Princess of Orange wearing the decorations of in the portrait just published by media outlets? (It does not seem to be on the official website yet.)

If their countries had continued with gender-discriminatory succession to the throne, all the heirs other than Charles of Luxembourg might have been excluded in favor of Prince Sverre Magnus, Count Claus-Casimir of Orange-Nassau, Prince Gabriel of Belgium, and Prince Alexander of Sweden instead.

It would be interesting if Elisabeth was also wearing a tiara from their mutual Swedish great grandmother, Princess Ingeborg, as I assume not all her jewels ended in Norway, but, they probably would have been familiar to Belgian royal watchers and worn before?
Acutrally not many of her Jewels ended in Belgium.- We know about a few emeralds and a brooch who is now in Luxembourg. the emeralds likels where given to Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte.

Which orders are Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant and the Princess of Orange wearing the decorations of in the portrait just published by media outlets? (It does not seem to be on the official website yet.)

The Order of the Lion of the Netherlands and the Order of Leopold.

Wow, so thankful to the NRF for hosting a grand tiara event again!

So excited to see Elisabeth in a new tiara! Quite a piece!

Maxima and M-C may have missed the mark a bit wearing their largest tiaras considering everyone else went for one of their smaller options (other than Sonja of course). Although it seems M-C doesn't have another option now that her daughter wears the fringe (which looks great!). I suppose Max did go for a smaller setting but it's still very grand! I won't complain too much about the house diamonds being worn though.

Brrr... Hanging hair + diadem often is no success and that is proven by the Princess of Orange.

The birthday girl and the Duchess of Brabant look fantastic.

Completely agree with you on everything.

Maud, Leah and Emma, looking good.

(Maud looking at the ceiling like she hasn't been there before?)

Princess Auntie Astrid in her turquoises, ML looks relatively sedate, I thought Estelle was walking on her own but she's with Oscar. :)

Last edited:
Estelle looked so happy to be there. And Victoria and Daniel looked proud of their children.

This is the biggest version of the photo of the heirs so far, there you can see Estelle's headband a little better
https://image.svenskdam.se/estellei...4622468&width=1600&height=1023&compression=80

What a delightful photo. The elder ones even tilt their heads in the same direction.
I hope they will develop and maintain a good relationship for the rest of their lives. In their positions it's good to have someone to talk to, who genuinely understand your situation.
A pity Christian wasn't there though. :ermm:

I see that Princess Ingrid Alexandra is seated in between the King and Crown Prince, with the Crown Princess and Queen flanking them.

Interesting that the Queen is opening the speeches. ETA: Followed by the King, and then the President of the Storting, and then Princess Ingrid Alexandra.

Storting president Masud Gharakhani said to the NRK reporter, about the princess, whom he has met several times: "She is attentive, inquisitive, knowledgeable and very secure. A caring princess who is comfortable. The day she becomes head of state will be very good for Norway."

https://www.nrk.no/norge/prinsesse-ingrid-alexandra-feires-med-gallamiddag-pa-slottet-1.16007478

Last edited:
I think it is more the press making things up. Queen Mathilde is without King Philippe, it is just a personal choice and Letizia was not in the picture when Ingrid Alexandra's parents married so she maybw has a less close relationship.

Felipe introduced his girlfriend Eva Sannum at the wedding of Haakon and MM, a relationship that did not withstand the pressure.

Felipe is very close to Haakon and I believe that Haakon introduced Felipe to Eva, a fellow Norwegian.

I think that Letizia as never been to Norway in her royal life, maybe the only royal country apart from Monaco.

What a shame that Princess Leonor was not there with them.

Prince Christian is sadly missing too! But what a nice idea!

Shaman Durek sends a special message to Ingrid-Alexandra "It is an honor to become your future uncle."
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce5EPLQoS7a/

This officially sounds creepy!

Also if it wasn't from Durek.

I don't know if it's a culture thing, but in Scandinavia an adult like Ingrid Alexandra will call Durek uncle, - if she feels he deserves it.

Felipe introduced his girlfriend Eva Sannum at the wedding of Haakon and MM, a relationship that did not withstand the pressure.

Felipe is very close to Haakon and I believe that Haakon introduced Felipe to Eva, a fellow Norwegian.

I think that Letizia as never been to Norway in her royal life, maybe the only royal country apart from Monaco.

I find it a bit over-acting when Letizia really avoids Norway for an Eva Sannum appearance back there in 2001.

Ingrid is smiling and Harald is getting laughs. As usual, I wish this came auto-subtitled. (The only thing I understood was him talking about IA being the fifth-gen of the NRF.). And it's such a pretty room!

And she just leaned over and hugged and kissed him. Aw, I may cry.

Harald and Sonja have declined quite a bit in the past year, they looked a lot older in the procession walking in.

The menu - google translated:
Carrot tartare
Tarragon mayonnaise
Horseradish and apples

Asparagus and scallops
Pickled ginger
Elderflower from Slottsparken
Raspberry and chive flower from Bygdø kongsgård

Halibut
French fries Sonja, mini carrots and king oyster mushrooms
Petit pois-puree and butter sauce

Norwegian strawberries
Wild strawberries and vanilla ice cream

The table is set for 199 people.

I find it a bit over-acting when Letizia really avoids Norway for an Eva Sannum appearance back there in 2001.

I believe these assumptions we are making are just rumors. I think Letizia simply had other engagements or stayed home to welcome back her daughter, instead of going to celebrate an 18th bday of a girl she’s may never have interacted with.

I don't think that's why. It probably won't be for any specific reason. Hopefully the King and Queen of Spain will make a state visit to Norway soon.

I believe these assumptions we are making are just rumors. I think Letizia simply had other engagements or stayed home to welcome back her daughter, instead of going to celebrate an 18th bday of a girl she’s may never have interacted with.

Yes, that is my guess too. I can really not believe there is anything behind Letizia's absence.

Eva Sannum said in an interview it was not Haakon who introduced her to Felipe, but that she met him by chance when she lived in Madrid.

The table is set for 199 people.

199? Who couldn't make it, the bad fairy?

Edit: Wow, Ingrid's got a decided American accent, just like bestefar (though he was speaking British tonight per usual) and ML. I thought her voice got lower in English, but I think she was just super nervous to start.

Last edited:
A question for the Norwegian speaking posters: Is it normal that a politician addresses the guest of honor as "kjære", or is it because of the princess's royal status or age?

Watching the princess's speech, she is indeed extremely relaxed and comfortable as a public speaker.

Back
Top Bottom